Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 14:45   #1411
BHPian

I dont know if this is OT, but when iphone was launched in India every one was going ga ga over its 3G Capabilities etc. I thought then why buy such an expensive phone where are no 3G providers . I am glad atleast BSNL has started 3G services now.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:45   #1412
BHPian

I just bought a BB Storm 9500 (Vodafone locked)and facing a couple of issues as follows.

Bluetooth connectivity failing due to passcode, I have tried 0000 which seems to be default but no luck.

GPS connectivity issue, It shows searching for satellite and fails to fetch anything.

Help me out guys...
Old 18th September 2009, 14:48   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I dont know if this is OT, but when iphone was launched in India every one was going ga ga over its 3G Capabilities etc. I thought then why buy such an expensive phone where are no 3G providers . I am glad atleast BSNL has started 3G services now.
So what good is that to most of us who are Airtel/Vodafone customers. Just for 3G you cannot switch SP
Old 18th September 2009, 14:57   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So what good is that to most of us who are Airtel/Vodafone customers. Just for 3G you cannot switch SP
oh, you got me wrong here. I was just speaking about the trend here, launching hi-capability phones (expensive) but no provider with the services.

Also, I said I was glad that BSNL has launched 3G because, its a start. Most will follow now !
Old 18th September 2009, 15:09   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this cool clock screensaver. Any idea if this software is available FREE ?
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-bbclk.jpg
Old 18th September 2009, 15:13   #1416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
It is offtopic and you can post on the iphone thread.

Apart from network speed i dont miss much while using iPhone on EDGE network, 1 year and going strong.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:07   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sam or others using 8520 Curve, hows the review? Need info for a friend.
I really like the 8520. The trackpad is a breeze to use, the speaker is really loud and the voice clarity is good. I have configured 5 POP mails and they work really well. For the price its a fantastic buy.
Anything in particular you are looking at?
Old 18th September 2009, 16:36   #1418
BHPian

Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry smartphones

I stumbled upon something really cool. If you already have Gmail integrated into your BlackBerry smartphone, you can get access to more Gmail features on your BlackBerry smartphone with the Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry smartphones.
  1. Click on the Email Setup icon on your BlackBerry smartphone’s home screen
  2. Enter your user name and password if prompted
  3. Click on Email Accounts
  4. From the Email Accounts list, locate your Google Mail™ account and click the Delete link
  5. When prompted, click Yes to delete the account
  6. Click Add An Email Account
  7. Type your Google Mail address and password. Click Next
  8. Click Close
  9. Check the Messages folder on your BlackBerry smartphone for Enhanced Google Mail plug-in installation instructions.
BlackBerry - Enhanced Gmail™ Plug-In Details

Its excellent as you can:
  • Archive
  • Report spam
  • Apply Labels & Stars
  • Search all your Google Mails from your Blackberry
I have just installed it. Will give detailed feedback in a week. Till now its awesome as the archived emails go into the main "Messages" box and your account inbox remains blank which i like.

P.S. My 6,999/- advance rental plan just got active yesterday. Its 6,999/- inclusive of service tax which turns out wayyyy cheaper than the monthly 899 + service tax i was on.

Anil

**EDIT**
Agree with you JVH, all my 4 gmail accounts are integrated now & each individual inbox looks so uncluttered & clean now.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 18th September 2009 at 16:45.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:41   #1419
JVH
Senior - BHPian

There is an alternate method to do this as well.

If you browse google through browser, you'll get an option as Google for mobile. Just click on this and the next steps are similar to your 7th step onwards.

It is a great feature indeed.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:41   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Just saw this cool clock screensaver. Any idea if this software is available FREE ?
Attachment 193967
It comes on the Bold Clock as standard & i think on all devices after the Bold, including the Pearl Flip & Storm. I agree, it looks really cool.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:48   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sam or others using 8520 Curve, hows the review? Need info for a friend.
I have had it for a month now and am happy that I did save about 8k over the 8900. I moved from a Wmobile and a Nokia 5800 and am enjoying what a business phone should do. I have upgraded to BM 5 and love it. only grouch is if some one wants a good camera and GPS. The device lacks both but then I did not need them.

That screen saver is available in the 8520 as well

Last edited by ritayan : 18th September 2009 at 16:55. Reason: Adding more info
Old 18th September 2009, 16:52   #1422
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
I have had it for a month now and am happy that I did save about 8k over the 8900. I moved from a Wmobile and a Nokia 5800 and am enjoying what a business phone should do. I have upgraded to BM 5 and love it. only grouch is if some one wants a good camera and GPS. The device lacks both but then I did not need them.
Its a great smartphone and bang for the buck. I would have picked up one if my requirements didn't include GPS. Picked up 8900 javelin instead.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:20   #1423
Senior - BHPian

What is the experts' recommendation for a GPS enabled BB ? My partner keeps travelling and he desperately requires one. Is there any subscription or monthly fee only for the GPS usage ? BB plan in use is Vodafone 299.

Similar requirement is my search too. Mine is a Pearl 8120, it has GPS features, but no built-in GPS. It can work paired with a bluetooth GPS device. I checked few online products like key-chain GPS ($75) Blackberry Source.com - Freedom Keychain GPS for BlackBerry and few others ranging from $90 to $140 Globalsat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver - ShopCrackBerry. Is there any chance we can get something below Rs.3000 ? If anyone is using an external GPS device thats paired to a BB handset, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:42   #1424
Senior - BHPian

ok downloaded both pc suite and desktop manager.

in the pc suite i can see an option for synchronizing contacts with outlook.

in the desktop manager, in the synchronize option i do not see contacts listed there. what should i be looking for?
Old 18th September 2009, 23:59   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Shaju,

BB GPS - check at dealextreme.com for the best stuff. Else Holux M1000B stuff can be had at 3000 in India (nokia battery). can pm you the ebay seller contact details (I didnt buy in the end as I postponed my purchase)

Most Viewed