Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 05:39   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect View Post
I just bought a BB Storm 9500 (Vodafone locked)and facing a couple of issues as follows.

Bluetooth connectivity failing due to passcode, I have tried 0000 which seems to be default but no luck.

GPS connectivity issue, It shows searching for satellite and fails to fetch anything.

Help me out guys...
Are you tring to pair the devices? Ensure the other one is in Pairing mode. What are you trying to use bluetooth for explain in detail please.

I am not so sure about GPS in the Vodafone India storm it worked fine in my verizon one. Can you see a little crosshair icon on the homescreen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
oh, you got me wrong here. I was just speaking about the trend here, launching hi-capability phones (expensive) but no provider with the services.

Also, I said I was glad that BSNL has launched 3G because, its a start. Most will follow now !
Exactly, but its not just the operators its the government which is making a mess out of the spectrum allocation so everything is falling apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Just saw this cool clock screensaver. Any idea if this software is available FREE ?
Attachment 193967
Its the inbuilt clock app on the OS 4.6 + BB's, time to upgrade me thinks? Reffering to the post quoted below as well.

Quote:
What is the experts' recommendation for a GPS enabled BB ? My partner keeps travelling and he desperately requires one. Is there any subscription or monthly fee only for the GPS usage ? BB plan in use is Vodafone 299.

Similar requirement is my search too. Mine is a Pearl 8120, it has GPS features, but no built-in GPS. It can work paired with a bluetooth GPS device. I checked few online products like key-chain GPS ($75) Blackberry Source.com - Freedom Keychain GPS for BlackBerry and few others ranging from $90 to $140 Globalsat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver - ShopCrackBerry. Is there any chance we can get something below Rs.3000 ? If anyone is using an external GPS device thats paired to a BB handset, please let me know. Thanks.
You will need the full data plan for the maps the GPS will work regradless of anything. But the actual map application will need data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I guess the only option is BlackBerry Profile Scheduler - Personal Productivity Blackberry Apps
But the damn app is a trial version, full version is 10$. Anyone seen a free version of this or a similar app?

This way i can set a profile to turn off email sounds at night and switch back off in the morning.

Features such as this, auto keylock, vibrate & ringing together,etc are available on the most basic phones but RIM decides to omit them and users have to resort to 3rd party app. Dont get their logic !
Dont be so harsh Sahil, I didnt realize you just need no notifications. You mentioned that you dont want the emails to come in at all. You never said anything about sounds. There is a PHONE ONLY profile in all blackberries that disables all the other even sounds except a incoming call. I think that fits the bill perfectly?
Old 19th September 2009, 11:04   #1427
BHPian

DIY with my BB

Hi,

I have been a BB user for the last 2 years. Bought my Pearl 8100 from eBay in Oct 2007. And it is still going strong.

In Jan 09, I caught the storm bug! After I spent a whole 3 days just ogling at the phone, reading reviews, stalking vodaphone stores etc, I decided that it would be best to just buy the damn thing!

Of course, I dont like buying from the bloodsucking Indian operators (even now a curve costs 20k on Airtel!!). So, I got on craigslist, found a chap selling a brand new, unlocked storm for $400 and got my sister to pick it up for me.

And on 19th Feb 2009, my shiny, beautiful Storm came home to papa! And what a phone it is! I was completely besotted. Ease of functionality, some really nice features which you suddenly discover (like hovering over the artist/ genre will search the entire library for the same. Same with messages - hover on the subject/ sender. Beautiful!)

Alas, my joy was shortlived. One fine day...in May, I was awoken by the alarm. And i groggily tried to shut it off...and realized that my baby had no display!! A touchscreen phone with NO display!

I posted on this forum for reliable BB repair shops in Blore. Anyway...I went around to about 20 in the end. Left my phone for weeks together with 5-6 of them. All with no solution. No one had the resources to procure the LCD and digitizer from abroad. Had just empty promises (next week, "I am going to china personally", "My partner is going to bombay" etc)

Anyway...to my joy, my BIL was going to canada for a week in August (yeah...4 months since my phone went on the blink!). It should be no problem to fix my phone in the land of the berry. Right?? Wrong!

None of the shops there had the spares either! I couldn't believe my luck!

So, in the end, I went out, got myself a T6 screwdriver set, opened up the storm (thanks you, youtube), got the part number (there are 2 types of BB storm screens) and have now ordered the part from cnn.cn (china/ hong kong). Hopefully, I should get the parcel in the next couple of days (barring customs delays). And get my storm up and running asap!

Will keep this thread updated with my experience. If anyone has successfully done this operation before, do let me know! Would love to get some info.

As an experiment, I just took apart the Pearl and put it back together. I had a niggling issue with the pearl pulling constant re-starts. Sometimes in the middle of phone calls, emails (typing) etc. And magically, the issue has disappered! Maybe there was just a loose contact someplace...

Now, there was another question I had. Airtel has a data plan - unlimited at 140 Rs per week. Thats 560 bucks a month. What are the drawbacks of this wrt the 899 Rs BB Plan? I have a couple of friends using the 140 rs plan and get fantastic performance! ( As far as email goes - my corporate email is on Google apps...so no issues with BB server etc). Would love to get some inputs on this...

Currently, I am on the 299 Rs BB plan on the Pearl (coz I dont browse at all on the pearl. the browser sucks and so does the tiny screen).
Old 19th September 2009, 12:08   #1428
BHPian

although it could be cheaper getting it from other places, the headache you are facing wouldnt have happened if you bought it from Vodaphone in the first place.

i learnt this the hard way too. my first bold which went kaputt was purchased in the grey market and Airtel couldnt do anythig about it. Later I got one from Airtel and had it replaced thrice over a span of 10 months becasue each one had its own problem(big or small they had no clue how to resolve it and just kept handing me new phones everytime)
Old 19th September 2009, 14:14   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
although it could be cheaper getting it from other places, the headache you are facing wouldnt have happened if you bought it from Vodaphone in the first place.

i learnt this the hard way too. my first bold which went kaputt was purchased in the grey market and Airtel couldnt do anythig about it. Later I got one from Airtel and had it replaced thrice over a span of 10 months becasue each one had its own problem(big or small they had no clue how to resolve it and just kept handing me new phones everytime)
Sure...but I couldn't have used my Airtel number on it.

Unlocking is another 50-70$ and I am not very sure about the legality of unlocking...warranty may get voided in any case! They dont really bother with it in the USA - I think there is a legislation which says that unlocking is only a software hack and hence phone damage must still be covered by warranty. Dont know whether vodafone india would honor the warranty of an unlocked phone...
Old 19th September 2009, 15:38   #1430
BHPian

Savings on an advance rental plan (Airtel)

I was doing my math on whether to take an advance rental plan or not. And the results / savings are amazing. Just check the excel sheet that I used to evaluate how much one would save if he/she wants to go for a 6 or 12 month advance rental plan. I've calculated like as if Airtel has taken a loan from you and does not pay you interest (typically 14% per annum). Still the savings are quite a lot compared to paying 899 plus taxes.
Old 19th September 2009, 15:49   #1431
BHPian

There is now official BB support from Redington in India.
I got my BB8900 from The Mobile store. It came unlocked with 1 year warranty , though I paid full retail of 24000 ( Bargained with mobile store for 1000 :-))
Maybe you can try them for support of rout of warranty repairs.
Old 19th September 2009, 16:31   #1432
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, so overall 8520 is a bang for buck piece, basically a reliable BB and i dont think GPS and camera would be an issue for the user. Hows the build quality, hope its good.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:27   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Are you tring to pair the devices? Ensure the other one is in Pairing mode. What are you trying to use bluetooth for explain in detail please.

I am not so sure about GPS in the Vodafone India storm it worked fine in my verizon one. Can you see a little crosshair icon on the homescreen?
Thought of mass migrating the contacts/media from Nokia E65(Not connecting to Lap top for sometime due to some strange reason) through bluetooth. Now the job done with little effort but not through blue tooth.

GPS : Still seems to be difficult, let me check with Vodafone. There is no cross hair icon on the home screen. Am still checking with Blackberry Crackberry forums.

Last edited by rapideffect : 19th September 2009 at 18:28.
Old 20th September 2009, 14:52   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks guys, so overall 8520 is a bang for buck piece, basically a reliable BB and i dont think GPS and camera would be an issue for the user. Hows the build quality, hope its good.
Yeah, the build quality is good. It doesnt feel flimsy at all. The back cover will pick up scratches very quickly so has to be kept covered always.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:02   #1435
BHPian

I got my GPS app finding satelites, it found 6 and saved it. Now I understood why these gmail, opera, google maps applications are not working. the answer is here Blackberry Internet Services-Blackberry Service Plans: Vodafone India

But still not able to find a solution for bluetooth connectivity. Infact I can send from BB Storm to E65 but it's not happening in the reverse order, doing R&D to get rid off it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:24   #1436
Senior - BHPian

So vodafone prosumer lite plan can never download maps on a GPS device ? My search for the Keychain GPS and similar devices should stop I think. I dont want to activate 899 plan for travels once a while. Frankly all my personal and business needs are met by the 299 plan (using since 7 months, not a single complaint).

Is there any short cut to activate facebook on this 299 plan ?
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:23   #1437
BHPian

Quote:

Is there any short cut to activate facebook on this 299 plan ?
let me know if it works for you
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:31   #1438
BHPian

I have my hotmail configured on the BB, if I delete some one mail off the server using the web client, will this be deleted off my device as well on the next reconcile ? This mail has already been deliverd / downloaded on my handheld.

Thanks,
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:23   #1439
Team-BHP Support

Off to Airtel to buy 8520 or 8900 for a friend, anything we should look out for?

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd September 2009 at 11:25.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:44   #1440
BHPian

jaggu do let me know what price you get on it.i will get you the best buy on it.

Most Viewed