Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 17:49   #1591
Senior - BHPian

My 7290 has started acting up lately. At times the network fails. Says searching for network. There are no blackberry service points in the nilgiris. I thought I give it to a normal service center. How much is right to have the problem fixed?
Old 19th October 2009, 17:58   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr
may i know which paper was it?
This ad was in Times of India
Old 19th October 2009, 18:41   #1593
BHPian

the special pricing for the 8520 is given as there is a price drop in near future.once the e 72 is out in the market e 71 will be priced at 15k thats why this price variation.
this is an advise to all bhpians.
you can bargain upto 1 grand on any BB phone till this month end.
Old 19th October 2009, 22:12   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
anyone know how much vodafone were selling the storm for?
AFAIK, when it was first released in India, it was sold by Vodafone for Rs.27990
Old 19th October 2009, 22:49   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
how have you configured gtalk/gmail?
i have downloaded the gtalk/gmail apps from google's site. But, whenever I try to connect, it says that 'no data service available'
Nothing extra to configure. All I do is put in airtelgprs.com in the TCP/IP settings and everything just works including gtalk and gmail. By the way, I am using a prepaid connection. I am not sure on postpaid because my friend tried it and it didn't work for him since he was on postpaid.

The only thing that doesn't work is the push email. But I don't need that anyway since everything is accessed thru my gmail account.

Make sure u r on gprs and not on wi-fi. The browser will work on wi-fi but not the gmail/gtalk/gmaps.

Prajwal
Old 20th October 2009, 01:03   #1596
aZa
Senior - BHPian

facebook 1.7 is out and this time its very good. Still no FB chat though... Maybe they implement it in 2.0.

I heard Storm 2 is out ?

Cheers
Old 20th October 2009, 10:45   #1597
Senior - BHPian

ok chucked out my Q9h rather sadly and got myself a 8900...feels small in my hands after using the Q for quite some time now.

Anyway i find that the back door is a bit loose. as in i can feel it move when i slide my finger to and fro over it.

is it normal?
Old 20th October 2009, 10:56   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
AFAIK, when it was first released in India, it was sold by Vodafone for Rs.27990
Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
facebook 1.7 is out and this time its very good. Still no FB chat though... Maybe they implement it in 2.0.

I heard Storm 2 is out ?

Cheers
Yup...Storm still is 28k on Vodafone. According to the ad, Redington is releasing it in all the stores like Univercell, Sangeetha etc.

Storm 2 USA release is on 29th October according to Crackberry. Check out the review there...the Storm 2 looks more of a finished product. The current Storm has a lot of rough edges. My guess is S2 will take another 6 mths to come. Hope Airtel cracks an exclusive this time.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:02   #1599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Offlate i am quite unhappy with my BOLD. I seem to have a serious and recurring issue with its track ball. I am not able to scroll down ( Read : Only scrolling down gets affected) and this issue lasts from 24 hours-48 hours and gets resolved on its own.

This issue is cropping up often these days, say once in 7-10 days. During this period, i am unable to make phone calls and access many other applications.

I also note some faulty design features of BOLD, not sure if this applies to all BB's

1. When you scroll up when you reach the top item and continue scrolling up will bring the cursor to bottom most item ( as seen in most Nokia phones) and is very useful if your scrolling ball gets stuck as in my case.

2. From home screen, if i type a name it does not go to the phone address book completely. For example : If i have to access Jairaj Singh. I type J, then A, then I. The cursor goes to J items but does not go to Jairaj which is some 7-8 items below

3. If your scroll ball gets stuck, there should be an option to scroll items/applications via. your keypad. I cannot do that due to unavailability on the keypad. Or is it and i am unaware of it?

If this continues for long, i will have no option but chuck it and buy a 8520 ( since it has a touchpad) as i am now averse with track ball scrolling.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Can someone help me out here? If i change the trackball will it help? Any idea about costing and where should i go for this change?
Old 20th October 2009, 12:17   #1600
Distinguished - BHPian

Any news when the new Bold 9700 will be out here? It launches in November in UK,USA,etc.

BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Full phone specifications

Prices of the current Bold have dropped much below Javelin levels in th UK to make way for the new bold.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:29   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help me out here? If i change the trackball will it help? Any idea about costing and where should i go for this change?
mobike - changing the trackball is usually expensive if you go OEM. You can get cheap duplicates. The OEM trackball costs about 10 grand! Btw...no B&W?

IMHO, you may not have to change the trackball. I think there will be a problem with one or two ICs which can be changed. I had got this done for my 8100 and it cost about 800 rs. You need to go to a guy who knows BBs! The main problem in Indian BBs is that no one knows to diagnose problems.

As regards the wrap around scrolling, it is completely personal choice I feel! I hate the wrap around scrolling. But, it is not an option to turn it on/ off. Its just the way the phone is.

Address book issue - Upgrade your OS. Check the OS thread on crackberry.com and get the latest and most stable one. Read the reviews.

Keypad scrolling - can be done on browser and mails. Cant do on the apps or home screen.

Last edited by indigoedge : 20th October 2009 at 12:30. Reason: typo
Old 20th October 2009, 14:50   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
mobike - changing the trackball is usually expensive if you go OEM. You can get cheap duplicates. The OEM trackball costs about 10 grand! Btw...no B&W?

IMHO, you may not have to change the trackball. I think there will be a problem with one or two ICs which can be changed. I had got this done for my 8100 and it cost about 800 rs. You need to go to a guy who knows BBs! The main problem in Indian BBs is that no one knows to diagnose problems.

As regards the wrap around scrolling, it is completely personal choice I feel! I hate the wrap around scrolling. But, it is not an option to turn it on/ off. Its just the way the phone is.

Address book issue - Upgrade your OS. Check the OS thread on crackberry.com and get the latest and most stable one. Read the reviews.

Keypad scrolling - can be done on browser and mails. Cant do on the apps or home screen.

Thanks for the response. I will have to find someone here in hyd who knows BB's which itself is a hurdle. Secondly, been waiting for 5.0 to be stable to upgrade it. I been hearing it's stable now, so will upgrade to it soon.

Keypad scrolling should have been an option even if it was provided as a toggle switch on and off option. Bad designing again !

It's almost like your entire phone revolves around a single universe ( trackball) and i hate being beaten down to such a situation
Old 21st October 2009, 13:01   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Full phone specifications

The 9700 looks great.!!
The specs are killer ,hope it gets launched here soon with a decent price tag.
Old 21st October 2009, 13:04   #1604

Help needed

I bought a blackberry curve 8310 from vodafone outlet. It is locked with vodafone network. the service of vodafone is pathetic in our area in bangalore. I want to switch to airtel again. how can i get my bb unlocked.
thanks in advance,
Old 21st October 2009, 13:32   #1605
BHPian

I have updated the FB application on my BB8900 to 1.7 and have BBLite 299 from Vodafone. After the update, facebook application is not working as is asking for a data connection. The update was done through the desktop.

I have configured Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) in the TCP/IP settings and use the same for accessing the web through Opera Mini.

Any work around for the FB application configuration for it to work through VMC settings?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks