Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 18:55   #1666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is it possible to take Vodafone 299 + 99 gprs and use your emails,bbm,msn along with 3rd party apps like facebook and browsing instead of paying 1099 for their all access plan?

How much does the 1099 plan cost if got on a one-time annual payment?
You only need the Rs.299 plan if u want to use the push email from your company. Else just the Rs.99/- gprs plan will get the internet working on data and most apps will work straight away.

Prajwal
Old 30th October 2009, 19:11   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
The first sequence is standard for unlocking any BB but the second (number) sequence could be phone specific. Maybe someone can try and confirm.
I tried it on my eight five two zero Airtel Locked and on Airtel, it says incorrect code. Could it be phone specific?
Old 30th October 2009, 19:14   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
I tried it on my eight five two zero Airtel Locked and on Airtel, it says incorrect code. Could it be phone specific?
AFAIK the number is phone specific (Else some one would have posted it somewhere)
Old 30th October 2009, 19:22   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK the number is phone specific (Else some one would have posted it somewhere)
But, The person who unlocked it did not ask for the IMEI of the phone. It was the generic code which he gave.
Maybe, it is region specific, like AP, MH, etc. ??
Old 30th October 2009, 19:30   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
But, The person who unlocked it did not ask for the IMEI of the phone. It was the generic code which he gave.
Maybe, it is region specific, like AP, MH, etc. ??
When you have BB activated on your phone dont they have your IMEI already? Did the ask your phone no. May be thats the link.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:42   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
When you have BB activated on your phone dont they have your IMEI already? Did the ask your phone no. May be thats the link.
Nope. The BB was unpacked from the box , an Airtel SIM was inserted into it the unlocking procedure was done.
I tried my Vodafone SIM and it was not working before the unlock process.

Maybe, someone else from AP circle of Airtel can confirm by trying it out!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 30th October 2009 at 19:43.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:46   #1672
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The unlocking is done based on IMEI + PIN. Its obviously phone specific !! I have a BOLD purchased from Airtel but after unlocking i'm using it on vodafone with BB services.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:49   #1673
BHPian

I got a "eight eight zero zero" that is locked to etisalat any ideas on a DIY unlocking?
I've ben waiting for some help on this.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2009, 01:56   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
The unlocking is done based on IMEI + PIN. Its obviously phone specific !! I have a BOLD purchased from Airtel but after unlocking i'm using it on vodafone with BB services.
I unlocked my bold by providing my IMEI. I used an online service and they provided the code in like 4 minutes. Going by what pulsar56 says, its possible that each network has some fixed code as I doubt someone would have actually checked the order, generated an unlock code and emailed the results in 4 minutes unless they were waiting just for my email.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:59   #1675
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The code could be based on the IMEI + PIN ? or just IMEI ? When i got my BOLD unlocked from airtel they asked for IMEI and PIN. Then i was the unlock code. The same pin when used on another bold from airtel ... didn't work! So i'm sure its not generic.
Old 31st October 2009, 05:07   #1676
Senior - BHPian

WORD OF CAUTION GUYS, THERE IS NO GENERIC CODE. PUNCH THE WRONG CODE THRICE AND YOURE SHAFTED.

The code has to be generated with the IMEI and the PIN. Not sure about the latter but the IMEI is 100% required. And its a paid thing so you will not get it free *anywhere*

Unlocking should not void the warranty, read some of the previous pages.

The APN settings will work but the BB will never be fully functional as it is with a BIS plan. This is a intentional thing and no matter how much pondering or tweaking we do its not gonna happen. Its because RIM (BlackBerry) provides the back-end, software and servers for the BIS which the and the OP's earn a lot of money from.
Old 31st October 2009, 14:18   #1677
BHPian

You could get a free unlock code from your carrier ,if you get a reasonable tele support helper. From what I have read, Airtel is pretty calm about giving out unlock codes ( by mentioning you are going out of India for a while and will be using local sim).Vodafone is pretty stuck up.
Else there is always the paid option from countless online sites like QD said.
A google search will be your best help.
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:27   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
BTW, is there any way to remove the Airtel Logo which splashes on the screen during boot-up?
The only option is to sell your phone, so far I have not heard of any solutions. I have the same issue migrating from airtel to vodafone.

Quote:
The first sequence is standard for unlocking any BB but the second (number) sequence could be phone specific. Maybe someone can try and confirm.
Yes thats correct. Unlocking code is hand set specific and it never works with any other phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I got a "eight eight zero zero" that is locked to etisalat any ideas on a DIY unlocking? I've ben waiting for some help on this. Thanks
There is no short cut than requesting it by paying through any website that does it (plenty of them), or requesting your network provider to do it for you claiming to travel outstation for longer period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
You could get a free unlock code from your carrier ,if you get a reasonable tele support helper. From what I have read, Airtel is pretty calm about giving out unlock codes ( by mentioning you are going out of India for a while and will be using local sim).
Most networks check your history of usage and there is a minimum usage duration criteria too. Airtel is not fussy about providing the unlock code, contacted through the email support and BB support similataneously, but takes a minimum 10 days. I had done this in Jan 2009. Someone had told me, unlock codes are provided in few hours, but after detailed discussion to the support engineers, it doesnt happen that quick. Its reconfirmed with atleast from whomever I know who have taken unlock codes.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:24   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
WORD OF CAUTION GUYS, THERE IS NO GENERIC CODE. PUNCH THE WRONG CODE THRICE AND YOURE SHAFTED.
+1 to that. A very long time ago, I used to be a customer care agent for one of the Phone providers in the US. All phones were locked to the provider and used to be unlocked after getting all details by us.
There were two keys, the first time a number called OTKSL - One time Key Subscription Lock (i think thats the full form, been almost 8 years)
was used. Later if the person got his phone locked or got a re furbished phone there was another Key called the MSL (Master Subscription Lock or something) was used to unlock it. This was not usually provided . This code was instrument specific and each phone had a different code. Multiple wrong entries meant a locked phone.

Am not sure if this info is useful or not but the point is that these codes are not generic.

Last edited by sammyboy : 2nd November 2009 at 20:26.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:43   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
The only option is to sell your phone, so far I have not heard of any solutions. I have the same issue migrating from airtel to vodafone.
Duh, its pretty simple and I've mentioned it many times on this thread itself I guess. Just update your device software. Get the latest version from the net (of any operator/provider) and delete the vendor.xml file under program files>rim>common (if I remember the location correctly) and poof! No more crapware and operator bootup screen. It will be replaced by the RIM/BlackBerry logos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
+1 to that. A very long time ago, I used to be a customer care agent for one of the Phone providers in the US. All phones were locked to the provider and used to be unlocked after getting all details by us.
There were two keys, the first time a number called OTKSL - One time Key Subscription Lock (i think thats the full form, been almost 8 years)
was used. Later if the person got his phone locked or got a re furbished phone there was another Key called the MSL (Master Subscription Lock or something) was used to unlock it. This was not usually provided . This code was instrument specific and each phone had a different code. Multiple wrong entries meant a locked phone.

Am not sure if this info is useful or not but the point is that these codes are not generic.
Exactly, if they were the same would people keep paying such money for the unlock codes? They are never ever generic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks