Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 16:59   #1861
BHPian

intrested to use a bold

i goodly want to use a bold.but i dont want to opt for BB services as i dont want to pay 899 per month,i have MO services active on my airtel,i am currently using a e52 with NMS.i had read somewhere on the thread that MO can be used on bold by making some changes in the settings,
can somebody please guide me.
Old 21st December 2009, 21:18   #1862
Senior - BHPian

After using the 8300 and then the very crappy 8900(that hangs ever so often) i booked my curve 8520 via ebay and got an awesome deal to go along with it.
At first even i was against buying even a pencil from the net, but after getting delivery of the same model for a friend and having no issues with it. Ive decided to go ahead and get me one. All thanks to Jesal who too is getting the same deal. The dealer is well known to him so its safe.

eBay India: BRAND NEW BLACKBERRY CURVE 8520 ! SEALED,FREE 2 GB CARD (item 280438606436 end time 23-Dec-2009 09:30:00 IST)

Check it out.

13250/- for the phone.
Sealed box pack. Redington import.
1yr warranty national & Bill.
2gb memory card free.
EMI of 2200/- (LOL) for 6 months.
Delivery within two days.
And and the best part. Raid Store 80GB Mobile HDD FREE. Yippe.
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:18   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i goodly want to use a bold.but i dont want to opt for BB services as i dont want to pay 899 per month,i had read somewhere on the thread that MO can be used on bold by making some changes in the settings,
can somebody please guide me.
Though I did configure a BB Curve 8320 for Cellone GPRS, I am not good enough to give you point by point method as th ephone is with my wife.

You will need Opera for the browsing to work and take a look at the following:

Airtel GPRS: Questions, Problems and Solutions

I hope this gives you the initial help you need!
Old 22nd December 2009, 13:27   #1864
BHPian

@ trrk many thanks for the link but i am aware of MO settings,but they dont work on bold,i had read somewhere on this thread that we have to make some changes with the DNS,can anybody share their experience here.
Old 27th December 2009, 04:59   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Ive had a Curve 8300 and have recently upgraded to a curve 8520. I had backed up my BBM contacts to the memory card. Now when ive put the old card into the new device i cant restore my bbm contacts.
I can see the backup files in the explorer. But when i try to restoe it says Memory card encrypted to another device.
SO, I copy pasted the backup files (3mb) REM file to a new memory card. But it still doesnt restore the contacts.

What do i do..??
Old 28th December 2009, 19:54   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
@ trrk many thanks for the link but i am aware of MO settings,but they dont work on bold,i had read somewhere on this thread that we have to make some changes with the DNS,can anybody share their experience here.
Sorry to be of limited help / no help.

New to the world of Blackberrys myself. Just made some changes yesterday and the Blackberry browser works now.

All the best with your efforts.

Just take a look the following page if you have not seen it.

Ross Barkman's GPRS/UMTS Info Page

Don't know if it will help, though!

Last edited by trrk : 28th December 2009 at 20:00.
Old 29th December 2009, 01:31   #1867
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone experienced longer booting time after a battery pull, after having installed the bbm5 update that fixes the file transfer issues?
Old 29th December 2009, 23:02   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Ive had a Curve 8300 and have recently upgraded to a curve 8520. I had backed up my BBM contacts to the memory card. Now when ive put the old card into the new device i cant restore my bbm contacts.
I can see the backup files in the explorer. But when i try to restoe it says Memory card encrypted to another device.
SO, I copy pasted the backup files (3mb) REM file to a new memory card. But it still doesnt restore the contacts.

What do i do..??
I guess thats because encryption must be on. I saw some setting in the bb options which had this encryption thing in it. Quite possible that it was enabled & hence is not allowing any other device to open it.
Hope it helps.
Old 1st January 2010, 03:25   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Somehow some people in the TBHP group chat don't get the fact that it's a broadcast message and is sent out to everyone. Stop wishing about the new year at 3 am in the morning, people. The group serves no purpose apart from annoying people, especially at late nights. I'm out of the group. Have fun.
Old 2nd January 2010, 20:57   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Somehow some people in the TBHP group chat don't get the fact that it's a broadcast message and is sent out to everyone. Stop wishing about the new year at 3 am in the morning, people. The group serves no purpose apart from annoying people, especially at late nights. I'm out of the group. Have fun.
+1
Stayed on till recently, but just couldnt take it anymore...
Plus, for some reason & i have no idea how, someone sent an invite to join the tbhp bbm group from my bbm ID
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:42   #1871
Senior - BHPian

I have just got a Black Berry 8520 today.

It's still Box Packed - Redington Import - Nov 2009. All Sealed nicely in a black box.

I have absolutely no clue about a Blackberry and it's services. But with everyone carrying one I thought it's high time I got myself one as I have important mails coming all day long ( About 10 - 15 a day ) This way I am mobile.

My questions are -

1. Does the 8520 come with the Leather Pouch ? Or do I have to get it seperately.

2. I just looked on the Vodafone site and it says Lite Plan for 299 p.m. I am fine with it as all I need is mails really. Now I am going to get a new number. Do I get to make calls along with this or do I need a talk plan as well. If yes, then the cheapest one on Vodafone was talk 60. This means I pay 299 + 60 + Taxes Min per month ? Right ?

3. Is the WiFi fine on this ? I am in a WiFi environment for most of the time except when in the car so I would be accessing Facebook & T-BHP. Hope it should be fine ?

Any other suggestions people ?

Thanks a lot in advance for answering my silly querries
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:25   #1872
BHPian

Your Answers in Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

1. Does the 8520 come with the Leather Pouch ? Or do I have to get it seperately.
No, it doesnt. You need to get it seperately.

2. I just looked on the Vodafone site and it says Lite Plan for 299 p.m. I am fine with it as all I need is mails really. Now I am going to get a new number. Do I get to make calls along with this or do I need a talk plan as well. If yes, then the cheapest one on Vodafone was talk 60. This means I pay 299 + 60 + Taxes Min per month ? Right ?
You are correct in your calculation.

3. Is the WiFi fine on this ? I am in a WiFi environment for most of the time except when in the car so I would be accessing Facebook & T-BHP. Hope it should be fine ?
Havent really used wifi on it too often, but it should work just fine.

No problem, happy to help
Old 4th January 2010, 09:27   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

It's still Box Packed - Redington Import - Nov 2009. All Sealed nicely in a black box.

I have absolutely no clue about a Blackberry and it's services. But with everyone carrying one I thought it's high time I got myself one as I have important mails coming all day long ( About 10 - 15 a day ) This way I am mobile.

My questions are -

Nope it doesen't

If you are a bit DIY type guy and your mails land on gmail.com domain then BB life would be lot more easier and cheaper for you i.e. around 100-150 Rs/month including taxes.

WiFi works flawlessly on BB handsets.

Any other suggestions people ?
Enjoy your BB and do not overload it with apps. :)

Answers in BOLD, kindly go through it. Any sort of issue in operations you have my no. right ??
Old 4th January 2010, 10:06   #1874
BHPian

Is RIM planning to release an updated Curve 8900 with 3G and a better cam? My Javelin is beginning to show its age and I don't like the keypad on the 9700 Bold. The 9000 Bold is just too big. Is there a BB Tour with WiFi available in India?
Old 4th January 2010, 16:29   #1875
BHPian

Current Tour doesn't have WiFi. Tour2(Essex) will have Wi-Fi, optical trackpad and marginal faster CPU.

Most Viewed