Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 13:49   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Nokia Handset for BB service.

I had a old Nokia E62 (which I used for BB service 4 years back).

Yesterday, I did check with Airtel ( I am a post paid customer of Airtel)if I can use E62 and whether they can activate BB on my sim. I received reply from Airtel which gave me a shock.

This is what their reply:
+++
..activation of Black Berry for your Airtel number . Please note that Nokia has withdrawn its support for Blackberry connect program so we will not be able to activate blackberry service as you are going to use Nokia handset .
+++

Does this mean that Nokia withdrawn the facility only on E62 or for all handset of Nokia??

Someone can cross check on this with Nokia outlets?
Old 29th April 2010, 14:12   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Nairji, dont waste your time checking with Nokia outlets, those sales guys will have no clue about what you are asking. Even the airtel BB toll free support itself would misguide you when it comes to certain plans or features. I have gone through that and explained in the beginning part of this thread in detail.

If Airtel told you that Nokia has withdrawn its support for BB connect, its between the brands Nokia and Blackberry, which affects all the handsets of Nokia according to me. I dont think Nokia can sign up an agreement with BB for a selected series of their handsets.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:26   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Shaju - definitely, I am not going to waste time checking with Nokia or airtel.

Regarding Airtel -seems they are so far good to me and replies coming on time.(and all in writing?)

When they told me that they cannot activate BB on Nokia handset, I told them that I will be using BB Bold 9700 or Storm 2 (9550).
Since then, they sent to me the full tariff which is as under (may be useful for someone?)
+++

We would like to inform you that there are 2 type of services - Enterprise and Prosumer.

Enterprise services need to be activated incase your company has a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) installed in India or abroad. Prosumer Services can be availed by individual users.

Monthly Service Plans available are - Rs. 249, 499,& 899/-

Enterprise services--Rs.499/- and 899/-

Prosumer Services --Rs.249/-, 499/- and 899/-.

With Rs.249/- plan, you will need to pay 15 paise per KB.

Rs.499/- per month plan allows you download of 500 KB of data and further you need to pay 50 paise/KB.

Rate plan of Rs.899/- per month allow you unlimited download for the entire month.

Please note that Enterprise plan is available only with the Blackberry 499 and Blackberry 899 plan.

Annual plan is for RS. 6999 and Half annual plan is for RS .3999

BlackBerry Personal Mail at Rs 299 per month .Under this plan customer can send/recieve email and use internet messenger - BlackBerry, Yahoo, Google & Windows Live Messenger, But would not able to Browse under this plan.

+++

Presume Annual plan Rs.6999 is for unlimited usage and it works only
Rs.583.25 per month - seems good?
Old 29th April 2010, 14:46   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Nairji, what you need is the prosumer plan. I think 299 plan should be enough for your needs. Try that for a month, in case you find it not enough, you can always shift to the annual plan later, instead of committing to a costly affair with airtel in the first place. I was on the 899 plan for over 6 months, then I realised I hardly browse on the BB set, therefore shifted to 299 plan and its over an year now. Happy so far.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:01   #2150
BHPian

I agree with shajufx, I too was on 899 plan and then shifted to 299. I am happy wth 299 plan. It serves all my needs.

If you think you need to browse or need access to application like Facebook etc, go for 899 plan.

I have not yet tried GPS using google maps on 299, does it work?
Old 29th April 2010, 15:07   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Sumit, please dont mention facebook, orkut and such words, Nairji will be getting angry as he doesnt waste his precious shipping time on all that crap (may not be crap for many youngsters).

Google maps do not work with 299 plan, I dont know if there is some other method to access it.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:31   #2152
Senior - BHPian

IMO,To get google maps, one need internet browsing (google website and then get into the maps?). As per the tariff plan 299, browsing is not permitted?
So I think google maps etc will work only on unlimited plan - this is my understanding
and if it is wrong please correct me!
Old 29th April 2010, 15:43   #2153
BHPian

@nairrk,

you are absolutely right... but you can get GPRS on bb for 99pm and use it with 299BB plan... you can browse through Bolt/opera mini and google maps a breeze.

for details on getting 99 plan separately... PM me.
Old 29th April 2010, 19:00   #2154

Hi guys I just got the new 8900 unlocked and I regret I bought it. Before I was using nokia N73 with vodafone live rs 111 pm plan, unlimited plan. There is no pop mail in this plan but but I accessed pop mail mail via free wifi in my apartment. Every thing was working fine on my nokai I.e face book twitter gmaps gmail operamini 4.2 bolt and evey other applications. All in rs111vodafone live.
But on BB 8900 nothing works except operamini 5 which I hate to use. I don't understand what's the use of spending 18k in which you need a BB plan to use all the application. Why can't I even access my pop mail via wifi for which you don't need a BB plan. I find no way but to shell out 1k per month for everything to work on this BB phone, when earlier i was going fine with my nokia in just rs 111 per month. Why is every services so complicated in BB?
Old 29th April 2010, 22:02   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, nothing is complicated here, you get what you pay for. May be you didnt do enough homework before picking up the 8900. If you want all the applications and browsing, there is no short cut than shelling out 899 or saving something through the annual plans. Again thats a commitment for 1 year, which you are forced to use.

I have used the Mobile Office plan from airtel, which were very good according to me, I could even connect my computer to net through mobile. With my present BB 299 plan, I get nothing but instant delivery of emails and the basic messengers, which is enough for my present requirement, so I am happy.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:31   #2156
oss
BHPian

Is the premium for BB really worth it considering all these additional plan charges.

I have been looking to buy a Bold2 (9700), but while reading up about it, I came across Nokia E72. Nokia has all the feature of 9700 and many more. Now i know nothing beats the UI of BB, but is it worth such a huge premium (17k vs 30k) ?

Also the plan charges seem to be quite steep. What do you guys think?
Old 30th April 2010, 09:50   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I was searching various websites to find the difference between
storm 2 9520 and storm2 9550 (the price for both units as per ebay merchants
rs.23000 for 9520 and rs.32000 for 9550, so almost a difference of rs.9000 between this two devices. Sellers claiim that both Devices are same?(but not given any explanation how both are same when there is a price difference of rs.9000/-?)

Only one web (vodafone uk) it was written the difference between these two are
that 9520 will work only for GSM whereas 9550 will work both GSM and CDMA.

Anyone else have any other opinion/comments?
Old 30th April 2010, 10:26   #2158
Senior - BHPian

^ there's your answer

for more specifics you can check out:

BlackBerry Storm2 9520 - Full phone specifications

BlackBerry Storm2 9550 - Full phone specifications

As for the person who is ruing the purchase of a 8900 well to each his/her own. Blackberry is expensive for a reason and if one cannot digest that reason then why buy it in the first place and then crib about it?

and comparing Nokia's E series with Blackberrys well suffice to say its like the coffee toffee arguement. there is just no end to it.

Best summed up by a review of the E72 in The Economic Times: "Nokia E72: A to Almost Z of a Blackberry"

Peace
Old 30th April 2010, 10:31   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonsam View Post
Hi guys I just got the new 8900 unlocked and I regret I bought it. Before I was using nokia N73 with vodafone live rs 111 pm plan, unlimited plan. There is no pop mail in this plan but but I accessed pop mail mail via free wifi in my apartment. Every thing was working fine on my nokai I.e face book twitter gmaps gmail operamini 4.2 bolt and evey other applications. All in rs111vodafone live.
But on BB 8900 nothing works except operamini 5 which I hate to use. I don't understand what's the use of spending 18k in which you need a BB plan to use all the application. Why can't I even access my pop mail via wifi for which you don't need a BB plan. I find no way but to shell out 1k per month for everything to work on this BB phone, when earlier i was going fine with my nokia in just rs 111 per month. Why is every services so complicated in BB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Buddy, nothing is complicated here, you get what you pay for. May be you didnt do enough homework before picking up the 8900. If you want all the applications and browsing, there is no short cut than shelling out 899 or saving something through the annual plans. Again thats a commitment for 1 year, which you are forced to use.

I have used the Mobile Office plan from airtel, which were very good according to me, I could even connect my computer to net through mobile. With my present BB 299 plan, I get nothing but instant delivery of emails and the basic messengers, which is enough for my present requirement, so I am happy.
I am not sure, why you are paying for BB services when your needs are fullfilled by plain GPRS plan

I have been on BB from the last 6 Months with plain GPRS plan, browsing every other website on phone/laptop, getting my official mails, getting my personal mails. Don't be dishearted, BB8900 is a wonderful phone.. to say a little I haven't restarted it from the last 15 odd days & still it is going streaming fast for every app I use.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:08   #2160
BHPian

unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonsam View Post
Hey how did you manage to unlock your BB? Have been trying through Vodafone and there is no response.

Most Viewed