Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 09:51   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Refer my previous posting (post No.2145) regarding Airtel advising that
Nokia has withdrawn Blackberry support etc.. hence Nokia handset E62 is not workable for blackberry.

I got my bb activation yesterday.
Since the new handset not yet arrived, I tried with my old handset
nokia E62 and to my surprise its working but only vsnl mail box and even
I can browse internet. But I am not getting to connect with Gmail or Sify.

However most of my usage is vsnl mail hence it seems I can continue with this handset (dont know home come Airtel can give such false advise??)

I also checked with Vodofone website and they too given many handsets model numbers which works for blackberry service (including E62).

Only Airtel sending such false mail to prospective blackberry customers - is it to promote sales of BB handsets??
Old 5th May 2010, 20:20   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Nairji, Airtel is very good in giving surprises to its customers, anytime, throughout the year !! If they had bit more professionalism in their services, I wouldn't have shifted to Vodafone 1 year back ! My comment is only about the Blackberry services, because I use their broadband and till date not a single issue.
Old 6th May 2010, 11:03   #2178
Senior - BHPian

As far as in my case, their BB activation formalities are good (I had to visit the Airtel relationship centre near my place only once and rest of formalities I did over phone and email correspondence).
Now, once again I need to go the airtel office to pay the security deposit for BB international roaming facility activation.
All working fine as of now!
Old 6th May 2010, 11:18   #2179
Senior - BHPian

How do I get myself added onto the TBHP BB group?

My BB Pin is 2068E9E2
Old 6th May 2010, 11:52   #2180
Senior - BHPian

You are infact asking; "How do I jump into a firewell and save myself without getting burned" ?

Its fun to be part of any BB group just in the beginning, later it becomes a pain on the wrong side, because you will get beeps and updates 24/7 (apart from your usual SMSs and email deliveries), 90% of them will be out of your interests. I myself started the group, but had to close down after few months of 'experience'. Now its restarted by someone else, may be its different, I dont want to try it again.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:43   #2181
BHPian

I bought bold 9700 a month back,
I am not able to set e-mail account, In Email setup there is only one option of work email account with blackberry enterprise server and no other option for personal email.

And I am also not able to use BB Maps, They are installed on my device but I am not able to find them anywhere,
I use vodafone postpaid, Can you guys help me , how to set up mail, and start BB Maps service???
net with vodafone live service is working fine.
which plan should I go for to activate BB maps , web access and personal mail?
Thank you.

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 6th May 2010 at 13:52.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:59   #2182
Senior - BHPian

I think you need any higher plan than 299 (prosumer lite) for the complete access of maps and applications like twitter, Facebook etc. Vodafone live service will not help any of the blackberry functions. Because blackberry functions are exclusively run by the BB service plans.

Setting up the email account is possible only if one of the BB plans are active, not through vodafone live. Once the BB plan is activated, you can also configure your emails through the webpage of vodafone (secured). This is what I have known through my services, no idea if there is any change as of now, open to corrections.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:47   #2183
BHPian

I called vodafone care to enquire about plans, they said that on 299 plan no map service will work and on 1099 plan google maps will work but BB Maps will not work as they require 3G network, Is this true??

On vodafone website 1099 plan says that BB Maps and google maps both will work on 1099 plan.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:05   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Same thing what I mentioned earlier, 299 plan is just basic, only for emails and messengers, you wont get anything else in that plan.

As you go higher, you get additional benefits. But I have never used BB maps, so no clue about how good they are. Google maps worked very well on my phone when I was on the 899 plan. But in one of my kerala trips, it showed German country side for hours together. That much for your monthly subscription.

In real life, how often you rely on maps, unless you are always travelling by road ? So, I find it a waste of money. In case I needed a map assistance, I check it online and print the location I go to, few days before I plan for a road travel, works out to be cheap and best.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:38   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
I called vodafone care to enquire about plans, they said that on 299 plan no map service will work and on 1099 plan google maps will work but BB Maps will not work as they require 3G network, Is this true??

On vodafone website 1099 plan says that BB Maps and google maps both will work on 1099 plan.
Maps work on 1099 plan.
you don't need 3G to have it working.

you won't be able to use push e-mail until you subscribe to a data plan.
you are able to use voda-live as it works on gprs not data-plan.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:12   #2186
BHPian

Thanks shajufx and ghpk,
requested for activation of 1099 plan, will start within 48hrs,
hope its worth....
don't you think 1099rs for a month is on a higher side.

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 6th May 2010 at 17:14.
Old 7th May 2010, 08:35   #2187
BHPian

Guys this was my previous post, either no one saw it or these short cuts don't exist. I hope its not the later

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Question?
1.Can you Bold something in your text content while using the BB? I tried some shortcuts that didn't work?
2.Can selected text font size be altered?
3.Is there an efficient way to view email, I mean short cuts. I found that N takes you to the Next days mail... like that anything that can make life a bit easier.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:01   #2188
BHPian

Advance Rental

Of course 1099 is on the higher side. Opt for an advance rental pack like 3999 for 6 months or 6999 for 12 months which works out to approximately Rs.580 to Rs.667 per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
Thanks shajufx and ghpk,
requested for activation of 1099 plan, will start within 48hrs,
hope its worth....
don't you think 1099rs for a month is on a higher side.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:59   #2189
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a fundamental question about Blackberry's : can it be used as a regular phone, without the e-mail features etc ?

A friend got a BB, and has a BSNL SIM (possibly a 32KB one). He will not use e-mail. Is there anyway I can configure the BB handheld to work with this SIM ?

& Before you think of asking the obvious : the instrument came as a gift.

Last edited by condor : 13th May 2010 at 16:07.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:18   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, a fundamental question about Blackberry's : can it be used as a regular phone, without the e-mail features etc ?

A friend got a BB, and has a BSNL SIM (possibly a 32KB one). He will not use e-mail. Is there anyway I can configure the BB handheld to work with this SIM ?

& Before you think of asking the obvious : the instrument came as a gift.
Should be possible. Was this blackberry locked to any network? If not, it should work as any other mobile.

Most Viewed