Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:59   #2206
Senior - BHPian

How is BSNL Blackberry service? I recently picked up a BB phone and i'm thinking of subscribing to BIS. Currenlty i have an Airtel connection but i am planning to move to BSNL. How does BSNL BB service compare with Airtel?
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:47   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of upgrading to a BB, either 8900 or 8520. Need help in decision making:
1. Currently on E71. So need minimal adjustment hassles. Which would be better from this viewpoint?
2. Is Optical Trackpad better than Trackball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
@ghpk,

Apparently I have been using GPRS without subscribing to Data plan on blackberry. I have only BIS email plan @299 and GPRS @99. If u need some info on how to get the same, PM me.

Anmol
Thinking of getting the BIS Lite 299 plan on Vodafone Mumbai. My primary usage of BB is just for mails (1 corporate+3 personal mail a/cs) and BBM. I know these work well on the 299 plan.

What I want to know is -
1. Whether 3rd party apps like FaceBook, ngpay, BookMyShow, Citi Bank Mobile etc will work on the 299 plan?

2. Is there a data browsing limitation on the 299 plan?

3. Is there an option to change the 'Access Point' ala Nokia phones? Whenever I'm at home, I would like to browse on the WiFi network (this also applies if there is data limitation on the 299 plan).

EDIT - THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION
How do I successfully migrate data from Nokia E71 into BlackBerry?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 23rd May 2010 at 21:51.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:35   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Thats more complicated than it sounds. A data transfer (address book etc) to and from a blackberry could be a painful task. I am not very sure about the E71 back up format.

I recently moved to SE Vivaz for a change, still keeping the BB with me as a back up (but presently not used). It was impossible to transfer the address book to my new phone after struggling through googling and cross checking with friends for almost 2 full days. Finally I managed to transfer my BB phone book data to outlook express, but no luck, it was tough to transfer them to the Vivaz. Given up by myself and 3 IT friends who were trying to assist me, I had to sit and type down 200 (cut down number after leaving all the unwanted ones) contact details manually.

Google is your friend, try your luck.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:02   #2209
BHPian

@nishant,

Sync your E71 with MS Outlook (not outlook express) and then connect your BB, open sync options in BB desktop manager, select MS outlook one way sync ( from outlook to BB) and then wait till your phone book is created in BB. after that select two way sync in BB. all is well then !!

Cheers

Last edited by anmolbedi : 26th May 2010 at 17:02. Reason: misspelled
Old 27th May 2010, 11:40   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Answer it quite simple now-a-days. ZYB.com, a website where-in you can backup and restore your contacts/appointments on the fly.

Steps to follow:

a) Log into ZYB Keeps you in sync with your friends, log in to user panel

b) Download respective client for your current phone (Ex. - E71) via GPRS

c) Backup your Contacts/Appointments

d) Download respective client for your new phone (Ex. BB8900) via GPRS/BB Internet plant.

e) Restore your Contacts/Appointments

Have been using the service from the last 4-5 years and using the same method While shifting from Nokia 9500 - SE P990i - HTC P3300 - BB 8900. And still haven't missed a single contact or appointment till yet (Touchwood)

Mods: I am no where linked to website in commercial manner.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:43   #2211
Distinguished - BHPian

Due to a stupid and uncalled move of mine, i accidentally dropped my BB Bold in a glass of "unspoken word" on this forum

And, moreover i realized it after a whole 5 minutes or so and when i removed the phone from the glass of liquid, i immediately removed the battery and saw that liquid had seeped into the back throughly.

Tried my best to dry the phone. Used the car blower et. all

I removed the battery and kept it outside for the whole night and when i put it back on and started the phone,it booted back on and everything seemed fine.

But, when i press the keys, a few apps are opening and some arent.

For e.g: If i go to contacts icon, when i press the roller, it goes to a screen where you can type letters. This screen comes up for whatever key i press on the keypad

I am assuming the liquid entered the electronics in the back.

Can someone suggest what could be wrong and is this something repairable?
Old 27th May 2010, 12:50   #2212
Senior - BHPian

^^ if the "liquid" was too strong would suggest washing the BB with the mixer that was used to dilute it

On a serious note, how about drying it in the sun (not direct sunlight) for a few minutes. I tried it with my camera which fell into a bucket of water and its up and running now.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:25   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
...moreover i realized it after a whole 5 minutes or so ....... is this something repairable?
I am surprised what an effect that liquid is making on you !! Dropping phone is common, but not realizing it for 5 mts is something unheard of.

Best option I can think of is, give it to the service center, rather than trying trick of our inexperienced hands and spoiling it all the more. First of all we may not have the tools to open every board inside. I am sure it needs a full part by part separation and drying than doing it in whole like a brick. Inside chips and circuits are too tiny to even check water collection without a microscope.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:27   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Well, Answer it quite simple now-a-days. ZYB.com, a website where-in you can backup and restore your contacts/appointments on the fly.

Steps to follow:

a) Log into ZYB Keeps you in sync with your friends, log in to user panel

b) Download respective client for your current phone (Ex. - E71) via GPRS

c) Backup your Contacts/Appointments

d) Download respective client for your new phone (Ex. BB8900) via GPRS/BB Internet plant.

e) Restore your Contacts/Appointments

Have been using the service from the last 4-5 years and using the same method While shifting from Nokia 9500 - SE P990i - HTC P3300 - BB 8900. And still haven't missed a single contact or appointment till yet (Touchwood)

Mods: I am no where linked to website in commercial manner.
I had used this long time back, but i think I deleted my account by mistake.

Now when I go to sign up again, it says the service has been sold to Vodafone 360 and fresh sign ups are no longer allowed!

Any other such website?
Old 27th May 2010, 14:30   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had used this long time back, but i think I deleted my account by mistake.

Now when I go to sign up again, it says the service has been sold to Vodafone 360 and fresh sign ups are no longer allowed!

Any other such website?
You may try Google Sync, but as i haven't used so no as reviews as such.

Google Sync for your phone
Old 27th May 2010, 15:18   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Open up the phone completely, wash it with spirit/alcohol (intentionally this time ), let it dry for a few hours and put it back together.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:22   #2217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
^^ if the "liquid" was too strong would suggest washing the BB with the mixer that was used to dilute it

On a serious note, how about drying it in the sun (not direct sunlight) for a few minutes. I tried it with my camera which fell into a bucket of water and its up and running now.
I did that first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, no effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Open up the phone completely, wash it with spirit/alcohol (intentionally this time ), let it dry for a few hours and put it back together.
Your advice seemed like a cleansing act. It ain't that contaminated yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am surprised what an effect that liquid is making on you !! Dropping phone is common, but not realizing it for 5 mts is something unheard of.

Best option I can think of is, give it to the service center, rather than trying trick of our inexperienced hands and spoiling it all the more. First of all we may not have the tools to open every board inside. I am sure it needs a full part by part separation and drying than doing it in whole like a brick. Inside chips and circuits are too tiny to even check water collection without a microscope.
Well, you see i was in my car ( 3 more friends too along) and it was pitch black inside and since i am used to dropping the phone at the centre cubby hole of my i10, did exactly the same.

Only that this time there was a glass full of liquid sitting in that cubbyhole and it only struck me when i wanted to make a phone call ( thanking my stars, i had to in 5 minutes)

On a serious note, i found an excellent reparing center referred by another tbhpian ( Hillram) who got 3 BB's repaired in the past that got effected in a similar way ( they falling in water, sambhar, etc...LOL)

As we speak, its getting a chemical treatment and reparing center guy assured me it should be alright after that but, if not then may have to replace the keypad IC or something.

If its only chemical wash ( Rs.250) and if replace the keypad IC ( Rs.650 or so)

Keeping my fingers crossed, will know by today late evening.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th May 2010 at 16:27.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:01   #2218
BHPian

Ot

mobike008 --- its time to upgrade ur signature I guess...

Current ::: I have terrible reflexes - I was once run over by a car being pushed by two guys !!!!!!!

Updated ::: I have terrible reflexes - once my BB was dropped in glass full of ****** and I realized it after 5 mins !!!!!!!

Last edited by Bubby : 27th May 2010 at 17:03.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:11   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
its getting a chemical treatment and reparing center guy assured me it should be alright after that
It should be alright as you are not doing it yourself checking your luck. When we dont have the patience and tools to open up such micro-mini gadgets, better use the service guys. They are trained for it and will do a perfect job.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:14   #2220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
mobike008 --- its time to upgrade ur signature I guess...

Current ::: I have terrible reflexes - I was once run over by a car being pushed by two guys !!!!!!!

Updated ::: I have terrible reflexes - once my BB was dropped in glass full of ****** and I realized it after 5 mins !!!!!!!
Thank god you said that. It just inspired me to be careful in future

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks