Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 14:17   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsh77 View Post
Yeah you can. You need to tweak the Service Books so that the browser uses socket connection instead of the BIS.

Enable BlackBerry Browser without BIS/BES bb.anworm.com

The above mentioned link will help you to configure BB to browse without BIS.
Thank you for the info, brother
Old 7th June 2010, 15:13   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-blackberry9800slider.jpg

Bold 9800. Looks good, and they've retained the full key pad in portrait orientation.

http://experts.thelink.co.uk/wp-cont...800-slider.jpg
Old 7th June 2010, 15:16   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsh77 View Post
Yeah you can. You need to tweak the Service Books so that the browser uses socket connection instead of the BIS.

Enable BlackBerry Browser without BIS/BES bb.anworm.com

The above mentioned link will help you to configure BB to browse without BIS.
Does that mean that I can get Vodafone Live/Vodafone Mobile Connect for GPRS usage, and use BB Lite 299 Plan for mails and BBM?

Can some actual users confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Import them into Microsoft Outlook's contacts (google is your friend with that step). Then sync that with your BB using the BB desktop manager application.
Thanks! Did it and was successful!
Old 7th June 2010, 15:29   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Does that mean that I can get Vodafone Live/Vodafone Mobile Connect for GPRS usage, and use BB Lite 299 Plan for mails and BBM?

Hi Nishant,

I had an Airtel connection which had GPRS enabled and without BB plan. I was able to use the BB Bowser, Gmail client, Google Maps and all IMs using BeeJive application. I followed the steps in the link I mentioned in my previous threads and changed the Service Books so that Internet works on the BB without BIS plan.

Though I am not sure whether you can use BB Lite for mails and GPRS for other internet usage. If you opt for BB Lite, the service provider will update the Service Books so that all the data connection will be through BB Lite.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:33   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Attachment 362920

Bold 9800. Looks good, and they've retained the full key pad in portrait orientation.

http://experts.thelink.co.uk/wp-cont...800-slider.jpg
Some more pictures of stunning 9800 :::

BlackBerry's slider Bold 9800 pops up again, HQ images and video - GSMArena.com news
Old 8th June 2010, 07:12   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Guys any tentative dates and ideas as to when the blackberry 9800 is releasing in India ?
And how much more expensive will it be than the Bold 9700 ?

Does it really have a 5mp camera and 4gb onboard memory ?

Last edited by arjunrudra : 8th June 2010 at 07:19.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:22   #2287
BHPian

Great news for CDMA BB users

At last a good contender in the BB lineup for CDMA users. Tata Indicom and RIM have launched the 8530 Curve. You can find the details here. The GSM version 8520 does not have GPS and 3G. 8530 has both which I guess justifies the higher price.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:41   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

How can one calculate the average data usage in a day?

Also, any idea what is the avg data usage by a BB user if he does not browse- just mails and bbm?

I'm asking because I am going to be traveling abroad for 5 days next week so it is worth taking the 299 daily 1mb plan or pay the regular 5.50/10kb charge?
Old 8th June 2010, 15:57   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How can one calculate the average data usage in a day?

Also, any idea what is the avg data usage by a BB user if he does not browse- just mails and bbm?

I'm asking because I am going to be traveling abroad for 5 days next week so it is worth taking the 299 daily 1mb plan or pay the regular 5.50/10kb charge?
Sahil, my blackberry was on roaming in the US for 3 weeks. Used to receive about 80 mails a day and I used to send about 15. Never opened any attachments. Used enterprise IM for about 2 hours a day. I also used the calendar a lot. The data bill was around 3500. Voice rates are a killer. Calling India is about 150 a minute. Incoming is 90 a min. 20 bucks even if you dont pick up the call. I paid about 5000 in voice charges because my wife used to call the blackberry when she couldn't reach my Verizon Wireless phone.

Quote:
Depends entirely on your data usage. 1 MB typically gets over very fast. 5.50/10kb would be better.

Last edited by Gilead : 8th June 2010 at 16:04.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:01   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Could you go through the following?

Blackberry 8830 - Review And Hacks - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

This thread gave me all that is needed to enable GPRS in a BB8320 and an 8310. No BIS service activated.

People have successfully activated both as per other threads in that forum.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:18   #2291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Sahil, my blackberry was on roaming in the US for 3 weeks. Used to receive about 80 mails a day and I used to send about 15. Never opened any attachments. Used enterprise IM for about 2 hours a day. I also used the calendar a lot. The data bill was around 3500. Voice rates are a killer. Calling India is about 150 a minute. Incoming is 90 a min. 20 bucks even if you dont pick up the call. I paid about 5000 in voice charges because my wife used to call the blackberry when she couldn't reach my Verizon Wireless phone.

Depends entirely on your data usage. 1 MB typically gets over very fast. 5.50/10kb would be better.
You should have opted for the BB roam monthly 2999 5mb plan for the month, excess charge is at a discounted rate too.

1mb is quite a bit for just bbm and mails, if your data will was 3500 then you used around 6mb in the entire month!
Old 8th June 2010, 16:26   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should have opted for the BB roam monthly 2999 5mb plan for the month, excess charge is at a discounted rate too.

1mb is quite a bit for just bbm and mails, if your data will was 3500 then you used around 6mb in the entire month!
My company was footing the bill so I have no idea what plan they put me on. I had to foot the bill for the personal calls.

The data bill was restricted to 3500 because I made it a point not to open attachments or browse the internet. Used only the laptop for that. Someone in my company ran up a 97K bill in one month by using the blackberry as a full fledged computer in the US. Only half of it was voice. Rest was data
Old 8th June 2010, 21:23   #2293
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved to BB 8520. Some queries:

1. Is there ANY way to transfer SMS from Nokia E71 to BB? I was successfully able to transfer contacts and calendar entries via Outlook, but not SMS

2. What are the essential apps for BB? Any list of 'must-haves'?

3. I'm looking for these software, which I had on E71 and bitterly miss on BB:

a) Task manager / to kill open apps (was using 'Handy Taskman')
b) Call blacklister (was using 'Best Blacklist')
c) Automatic Profile switcher based on time (was using 'Handy Profiles')
d) Free equivalent of 'BerryBuzz' (I'm currently on the trial version to see functionality)
e) Auto Keylock / based on time (was using 'AutoLock' for Symbian)

4. Please also suggest a good holster / carrying case. I've put on a Capdase cover, but want to have a holster to utilize 'in-holster' settings and keep the device safe

5. THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Is there a software that I can use for sending SMS through my laptop? I used to connect my E71 to my laptop (either using the cable or Bluetooth) and use PC Suite to send SMS. It saves a lot of time and effort.

However, BB Desktop Manager doesn't have that option. I tried 'Blurts' but it doesn't work for me. Please suggest some software. Even if it's paid, I'm ok to purchase it.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th June 2010 at 21:32.
Old 9th June 2010, 00:54   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian

nishant- must have app for every bb is quickpull.
Also they have NUMBERCOP India that has a data base of blacklisted telemarketing numbers from India that are blocked from calling you
Old 9th June 2010, 02:15   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Alright guys... need some advice...

I was using an E71 and want to change my phone. My use of email is very sparse .. 6-7 emails / day and I just need a reliable smart phone..

My options are:

1) E72 - Actually, bought an e72 but the piece was defective! I returned it to the dealer. Now am jittery about the model's reliability.
2) 8900 - Everything is great - except lack of 3g.
3) 9700 - 31 K is a lot of money!!

Help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks