Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 15:37   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Yes, Sir. I saw it there. I am still not sure about the answer.

I have a limited experience with my wife's BB 8130. There in Google Maps, it locates the position immediately based on the cell towers and in a flash it becomes a small blue dot (and arrow) with an error of less than 30 metres. Same as in my HTC Windows mobile.

Since she does not like scratches etc, I avoid handling her set, but I am sure it has regular GPS in addition to the other aided modes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Some time back, I too tried to get the Gps service on my BB storm 2, but whenever I try to locate or find some place/route/destination, I get a reply ''Unable to acquire Satellite - Try again''. I even tried standing in a open place but same response.
AFter few try, I stopped it. I am not worried much about this feature since I have a dedicted GPS unit from Mapmyindia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@asthedivx: I had a similar problem. Then I found that Google Mobile Apps had not been installed. Downloaded and Installed it and GPS worked like a (not so good) dream!
Well, to be precise Gmaps on BB very efficiently without any what so ever issue. Only things required for GPS operation is a GPS enabled phone and a data plan. It may be problematic for first time but will not a problem again during usage period. I have been using Gmaps on BB8900 without any issue, taking help of it to locate some unknown section and been successful so far.

EDIT: http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/mylocation/index.html

Only thing I found missing is the Voice Navigation which will make it a complete package without a fuss. GPS in phone for me is something available handy incase you are LOST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My BB 9700 which i had bought three months ago from AT&T Singapore died on me. It showed me a blank screen with a no battery sign. I sent the phone .......

I dont think i would venture into another BB as one experience was enough to teach me that my Nokia's have never troubled even after going through 1st floor falls.
Well, Speedy you were lucky enough to have a paper weight at least but I know some guys who reluctantly had to leave their phones with local repair shops due to their mistakes or overconfidence over those people. I always make sure the device/handset is 100% in front of me while being opened/repaired to avoid any such sort of issues if in case authorized service centers aren't available/charging sky rocket.

Pardon me speedy, but in your case I would blame you to leave your device with local service people. If you had insisted to get it done in front of you only or moved-on, ball game would had been totally different.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 16th July 2010 at 15:48. Reason: adding info
Old 17th July 2010, 17:39   #2417
BHPian

Guys, Need help here. I have tried my friends BB 9700 bold2 & want to buy it.

But I have some reservations.

Here Goes:

I am currently on Airtel Postpaid continuing with an old data plan 499 for unlimited data usage (essential for me on travel).

However If I go in for BIS, then I cant connect my phone to my laptop (as per airtel) and my monthly rentals would go up substantially.

Should I just forget BB an go in for some other phone? As currently using Samsung Jet & want to get rid of it ASAP.

Main usage being checking Mails, Internet & chats (not possible on Jet).

Any suggestions?
Old 17th July 2010, 20:19   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
I am currently on Airtel Postpaid continuing with an old data plan 499 for unlimited data usage (essential for me on travel).
You can use the same package as you have now without activating the BIS.

And connecting to the computer to be used as a modem is also possible.

To enable internet as well as the above (tethering), just search in Google and you would get all the details needed.

My wife uses a BB with BSNL like this except she does not connect it to a laptop / PC to browse.

Hope this helps!
Old 17th July 2010, 22:41   #2419
BHPian

@car_crazy,

I use the same thing on my bold2 9700. Let me know if you need help. I use BIS (email lite 299) + gprs 99 p.m. for 2GB. Works great.

PM me if you need my number.

Anmol
Old 17th July 2010, 23:04   #2420
BHPian

Hey Anmol. Thanks for the info. Let me get this straight, you mean to say that I can subscribe to both BIS Lite and the gprs 99? Can't i just Add on the BIS Lite to my existing payment plan?

Also, even with the Gprs 99 plan, Can it be tethered to a Laptop?
Old 17th July 2010, 23:25   #2421
BANNED

I think with a smartphone you should know how to 'unbrick' it because any new software can do you in. Look at Crackberry.com' and you will find a video explaining it. No too tough. Also, keep backups handy.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:38   #2422
Distinguished - BHPian

@Speedy- You can't really blame BB as the service center you gave it to messed up. Yes the phone should have not died in the first place but it probably was only a software reboot requirement as the Singapore agent mentioned.

One must remember 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away and in the case of BB 'a reboot(battery pull) a day keeps the doctor away'
Old 19th July 2010, 11:16   #2423
Senior - BHPian

BIS on Vodafone not Working Delhi Circle

Hey guys,
Can any of the Delhi BB users comment. My blackberry service is not working on my handset. Have any of the members experienced similar problems??
Old 19th July 2010, 12:06   #2424
Senior - BHPian

@asthedivx
Thanks giving the link - dowloaded google on my BB and now gps is working fine and it showing the Route/ directions as well.
Thanks
Old 19th July 2010, 15:51   #2425
BHPian

Blackberry without BIS services

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Hey Anmol. Thanks for the info. Let me get this straight, you mean to say that I can subscribe to both BIS Lite and the gprs 99? Can't i just Add on the BIS Lite to my existing payment plan?

Also, even with the Gprs 99 plan, Can it be tethered to a Laptop?

Well you do not need to use the Blackberry services to use internet on blackberry. For the same you might have to forgo the push email feature. For more information you can go to the following link.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]http://www.techtree.com/India/Features/How_to_use_a_BlackBerry_without_its_Service/551-111461-899-1.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Regards,
Kailash
Old 19th July 2010, 16:20   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys,
Can any of the Delhi BB users comment. My blackberry service is not working on my handset. Have any of the members experienced similar problems??
Called up Vodafone and they confirmed that there was a problem in the Delhi region. The service started to work around 1130ish.

Another issue that I am facing is that try to download something useingBB Appworld application/ theme etc never get downloaded and the error says DNS error and after clicking OK it says that the phone is not able to connect to the internet and I should check my internet connection.
However the browsing and email works fine. Any ideas to what the problem is and how to rectify it.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:56   #2427
BANNED

@harjeev: Looks like a temporary DNS failure. You should be back in business once thew DNS is put right. I do not know how to do it on a Mobile otherwise use the Google Public DNA.
Old 20th July 2010, 05:49   #2428
Senior - BHPian

@sgiltk: thanks. Ill try loading it again and if I am not successful will call up customer care and request for a DNS. Any idea where do we enter the DNS on the BB??
Old 20th July 2010, 08:05   #2429
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get the Bold 9700 in the next week !
I just wanted to knows the glitches that are there in this phone. I might also be using it as a part time music player. How does it cope up with storing multimedia and also intending to pop in a 8gb card .
I heard there is some problem with storing a lot of contacts is it true ?

And finally when in the Bold onyx Delta planning to be launched ? is it worth waiting for it. I do find the 5mp camera and the touch screen a bit tempting .

can the current blackberry be also upgraded to the new OS 6 when it comes out ?

Would really appreciate if someone is patient enough to clear all my doubts.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:12   #2430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@sgiltk: thanks. Ill try loading it again and if I am not successful will call up customer care and request for a DNS. Any idea where do we enter the DNS on the BB??
Try these settings, ain't sure if they'll work or not.

First go to Settings -> Connections -> Hutch WAP (GPRS) (or create if you dont have this already)
Connects to: Work
Access point: portalnmms
User name: (empty)
Password: (empty)
Authentication type: Select the option ‘None’
Primary DNS: (empty)
2nd DNS: (empty)
IP Address: 10.10.1.100

Then go to Settings ->Proxy -> Hutch WAP Proxy (Again, create if you don’t have it already)
Connects from: Work
Connects to: WAP Network
Proxy (Nameort):10.10.1.100:9401
Type: Select ‘HTTP’
User Name: (empty)
Password: (empty)

ELSE

For settings sms VL <Phone Model> to 56789, Ex: VL N2626 for Nokia 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I am planning to get the Bold 9700 in the next week !
I just wanted to knows the glitches that are there in this phone. I might also be using it as a part time music player. How does it cope up with storing multimedia and also intending to pop in a 8gb card .
I heard there is some problem with storing a lot of contacts is it true ?

And finally when in the Bold onyx Delta planning to be launched ? is it worth waiting for it. I do find the 5mp camera and the touch screen a bit tempting .

can the current blackberry be also upgraded to the new OS 6 when it comes out ?
-Depends on the hardware requirement, most probably YES. It should be.

Would really appreciate if someone is patient enough to clear all my doubts.
Sorry, knew only bolded part

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks