Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 10:28   #2611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Whenever i remove my 9700 out of the holster after receiving an alert, the email or IM automatically opens up. How do i turn this off?
I faced the same problem in my Storm. Goto to messages -> Options -> General Options. Here you can see the option under "Action" and select the desired option. Not sure whether this is the same in 9700, but it's worth thr try.

Cheers.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:50   #2612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I faced the same problem in my Storm. Goto to messages -> Options -> General Options. Here you can see the option under "Action" and select the desired option. Not sure whether this is the same in 9700, but it's worth thr try.

Cheers.
There is option to select Auto Open Newest Message or not after removing device from holster.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:45   #2613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
I am using 8520 from last six months and bold2 from last 4 months but havent faced any problem yet.

Touchpad is working like a charm.
Thanks ! I am almost on verge of buying the BB8520.

My next question is how to transfer my contacts from my Bold-9000 to BB8520?
Old 9th September 2010, 15:52   #2614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Why would you do that? Its like a downgrade if you ask me.

But anyway, just use device switch wizard in the blackberry desktop software.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:18   #2615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Use the BB desktop software to transfer all your contacts.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:28   #2616
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Use the BB desktop software to transfer all your contacts.
Thanks. I thought so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Why would you do that? Its like a downgrade if you ask me.

But anyway, just use device switch wizard in the blackberry desktop software.
Been spending a lot of money on fancy gadgets but, somehow offlate realized within a few months it becomes redundant and not attractive anymore. Besides, the functionality being a key parameter. I am completely unsatisfied with Bold, mainly due to its scroll ball.

I am unable to scroll down from more than a month and i am in no mood to go to a service center " yet" again.

BB8520 is VFM and most importantly comes with touchpad. Would be a relief !
Old 9th September 2010, 16:37   #2617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Been spending a lot of money on fancy gadgets but, somehow offlate realized within a few months it becomes redundant and not attractive anymore. Besides, the functionality being a key parameter. I am completely unsatisfied with Bold, mainly due to its scroll ball.

I am unable to scroll down from more than a month and i am in no mood to go to a service center " yet" again.

BB8520 is VFM and most importantly comes with touchpad. Would be a relief !
Rethink the 9700. Its a very solid phone, no hanging nothing. Whereas the 8520 feels substantially cheaper (no offence to owners). Also the prices are bound to come down soon since the torch has hit the market.

BTW just yest i got the trackball replaced on my dads phone (some old blackberry, 8830 or something). It cost 450 and was done in 3 minutes flat.
Old 9th September 2010, 22:26   #2618
Senior - BHPian

My birthday is approaching.
Am thinking of BB8520. Getting it with bill at 12800.
Also i can get BB 9700 for around 22k with bill.

Now i have tried both as my friends have them and honestly cant find much of difference. Is spending 10k extra justified?
can anyone help me on this?
Old 10th September 2010, 17:26   #2619
BHPian

My BB Bold went blank one day (software crashed), i mean it was not switiching on despite of various efforts. Went back to the retailer and he sent it to the Service Centre from where it went to bangalore (i guess). Now he says that they are replacing the phone and i'll get it around 20 of sept. I have been without my BB for more than a month now and now i'm pushing the retailer to talk to the Service Centre guys to give me 9700 (since i guess that 9000 is out of production???) by taking the difference in MRP... Is this kind of deal possible?? has anybody done this before??
Old 10th September 2010, 17:53   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know if this has been shared before on the thread, but I found it quite enlightening...

Quote:
This was written by internationally-acclaimed film director Shekhar Kapoor.

__________________________________________________ __________

A Blackberry addict discovers grassroots enterprise in India

A greater ‘hole in the wall’ you cannot imagine. A small fading sign on the top saying “Cellphoon reapars” barely visible through the street vendors crowding the Juhu Market in Mumbai. On my way to buy a new Blackberry, my innate sense of adventure (foolishness) made me stop my car and investigate. A shop not more than 6 feet by 6 feet. Grimy and uncleaned.

‘Can you fix a Blackberry ?”

‘ Of course , show me”

” How old are you”

‘Sixteen’

Bullshit. He was no more than 10. Not handing my precious blackberry to a 10 year old in unwashed and torn T shirt and pyjamas! At least if I buy a new one, they would extract the data for me. Something I have been meaning to do for a year now.

‘What’s wrong with it ?”

‘Well, the roller track ball does not respond. It’s kind of stuck and I cannot operate it”

He grabs it from my hand and looks at it and says “You should wash your hands. Many customers have same problem. Roller ball get greasy and dirty, then no working”

Look who was telling me to wash my hands. He probably has not bathed for 10 days, I leaned out to snatch my useless blackberry back.

” You come back in one hour and I fix it’

I am not leaving all my precious data in this unwashed kid’s hands for an hour. No way.

“Who will fix it ?”

‘Big brother’

‘ How big is ‘big brother?’

‘big …. Umm ..thirty’

Then suddenly big brother walks in. 30 ??? He is no more than 19.

‘What problem ?’ He says grabbing the phone from my greasy hand into his greasier hand. Obviously not trained in etiquette by an upmarket retail store manager.

‘Normal blackberry problem. I replace with original part now. You must wash your hand before you use this’. What is this about me washing my hands suddenly ??

19 year old big brother rummages through a dubious drawer full of junk and fishes out a spare roller ball packed in cheap cellophane wrapper. Original part ? I doubt it.

But by now I am in the lap of the real India and there is no escape as he fishes out a couple of screwdrivers and sets about opening my Blackberry.

“How long will this take ?”

”Six minutes ”

This I have to see. After spending the whole morning trying to find a Blackberry service centre and getting vague answers about sending the phone in for an assessment that might take a week, I settle down next to his grubby cramped work space. At least I am going to be able to watch all my stored data vanish into virtual space. People crowd around to see what’s happening. I am not breathing easy anyway. I tell myself this is an adventure and literally have to stop myself grabbing my precious Blackberry back and making a quick escape.

But in exactly six minutes this kid handed my Blackberry back. He had changed the part and cleaned and serviced the whole phone. Taken it apart, and put it together. As I turned the phone on there was a horrific 2 minutes where the phone would not come on. I looked at him with such hostility that he stepped back.

‘you have more than thousand phone numbers ?”

‘yes’.

‘backed up ?’

‘no’

‘Must back up. I do it for you. Never open phone before backing up’

‘You tell me that now ?’

But then the phone came on and my data was still there. Everyone watching laughed and clapped. This was becoming a show. A six minute show.

I asked him how much.

‘500 rupees’ He ventured uncertainly . People around watched in glee expecting a negotiation. That’s $10 dollars as against the Rs 30,000 ($ 600) I was about to spend on a new Blackberry or a couple of weeks without my phone. I looked suitably shocked at his ‘high price ‘ but calmly paid him….much to the disappointment of the expectant crowd.

‘do you have an I-Phone ? Even the new ‘4′ one ?

‘no, why”

‘I break the code for you and load any ‘app’ or film you want. I give you 10 film on your memory stick on this one, and change every week for small fee’

I went home having discovered the true entrepreneurship that lies at what we call the ‘bottom of the pyramid’. Some may call it piracy, which of course it is, but what can you say about two uneducated and untrained brothers aged 10 and 19 that set up a ‘hole in the wall’ shop and can fix any technology that the greatest technologists in the world can throw at them.

I smiled at the future of our country. If only we could learn to harness this potential…..

‘Please wash your hands before use’ were his last words to me. Now I am feeling seriously unclean….
Old 10th September 2010, 18:19   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Rethink the 9700. Its a very solid phone, no hanging nothing. Whereas the 8520 feels substantially cheaper (no offence to owners). Also the prices are bound to come down soon since the torch has hit the market.

BTW just yest i got the trackball replaced on my dads phone (some old blackberry, 8830 or something). It cost 450 and was done in 3 minutes flat.
@mobike & harry10

+1
9700 is solid phone with Better cam & High resolution screen.
Go for it if budget permits and yes harry 10K is worth justified.

Old 10th September 2010, 22:34   #2622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
My BB Bold went blank one day (software crashed), i mean it was not switiching on despite of various efforts. Went back to the retailer and he sent it to the Service Centre from where it went to bangalore (i guess). Now he says that they are replacing the phone and i'll get it around 20 of sept. I have been without my BB for more than a month now and now i'm pushing the retailer to talk to the Service Centre guys to give me 9700 (since i guess that 9000 is out of production???) by taking the difference in MRP... Is this kind of deal possible?? has anybody done this before??
You won't get the 9700. There will be plenty of 9000 in new stock inspire of stopped production. The MRP diff technique won't work.

Your best bet is sell the replaced phone as soon as you get it
Old 11th September 2010, 09:05   #2623
Senior - BHPian

How soon is coming soon from blackberry mean ?
I really need to buy a blackberry and have fallen in love with the torch.
Would like to know when its scheduled to release and some tentative prices.
What are the disadvantages of a gray market phone ?
The torch is available for 33k in chennai in the gray market.
It comes without warranty though.
Old 11th September 2010, 12:08   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You won't get the 9700. There will be plenty of 9000 in new stock inspire of stopped production. The MRP diff technique won't work.

Your best bet is sell the replaced phone as soon as you get it
I buy your point Sahil but the problem is that it'll be sold in the second hand market as they are not replacing the box and everything. The only thing they are replacing is the phone. so Old box and new phone cannot be sold as new phone??
Old 11th September 2010, 12:34   #2625
BHPian

Is there any way we can close open applications, at times my BB curve open all recently opened apps on the phone and really a pain pressing the back button to close each app that the phone opens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks