Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 08:59   #2671
BHPian

I am considering getting a Bold 9000 soon, called Airtel for suggestions on a BB plan for my use and this is what the lady suggested:

BB Unlimited Mails across 10 POP accounts with free IM usage - Rs 299/month (does not include internet browsing)

For internet browsing, she suggested I stay with my current Airtel GPRS plan (2GB for Rs. 99 a month)

Just wondering if anybody else is using gprs (airtel live) services for browsing on their blackberry? Stupid question to ask but is there a difference in speed as compared to the BB Internet service?

Cheers!!

Last edited by raamki : 21st September 2010 at 09:01. Reason: typo
Old 21st September 2010, 10:00   #2672
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt if you can use plain GPRS with a BB. You have to use a BB internet plan for that.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:17   #2673
Distinguished - BHPian

You can use plain GPRS with BB. I have used it on my Storm.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:19   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I really doubt if you can use plain GPRS with a BB. You have to use a BB internet plan for that.
On a third party browser like the Opera Mini, it should work! My only requirement for Internet is the occational Justdial and Google searches.

Question (Stupid again), my first BB: Does downloading an application from the BB App World count as Internet usage? or is it covered on the IM/Mail plan?
Old 21st September 2010, 11:17   #2675
BHPian

Ok here's a trick. if you want to switch between bb services and normal gprs there is a verrrrry easy way. open manage connections go to mobile network services and turn OFF DATA SERVICES. this way you can swap between the two. for normal browsing use gprs browser/wap browser.

For bb browsing turn on data services again and use the 'internet browser'. with data services on also you can use the wap browser but it isnt advisable.

*do this at your own cost/risk*

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 21st September 2010 at 11:19.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:48   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Guys, how come no one is discussing the Torch??

Its available here in the Grey Market : unlocked for 38k... Is it a fair price?
Pretty expensive considering its available here for 32.5k (a family member just bought it yesterday).
Old 21st September 2010, 13:30   #2677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
I am considering getting a Bold 9000 soon, called Airtel for suggestions on a BB plan for my use and this is what the lady suggested:
I suggest you drop the 9000 and look at the 9700 instead. The 9000 is a little flimsy, the body, and the way its put together. Also you will get little hardware issues after a few months, though the phone itself will never hang or anything. The 9700 is much better put together and feels much more solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Pretty expensive considering its available here for 32.5k (a family member just bought it yesterday).
Bombay usually has pretty good prices. When are you upgrading to the Torch?
Old 21st September 2010, 14:09   #2678
BHPian

is the team-bhp bb group still up and working i cant seem to be able to join!
Old 21st September 2010, 14:48   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I suggest you drop the 9000 and look at the 9700 instead. The 9000 is a little flimsy, the body, and the way its put together. Also you will get little hardware issues after a few months, though the phone itself will never hang or anything. The 9700 is much better put together and feels much more solid.
Thanks for that buddy, the keys on the 9700 keyboard seem too small for my liking, I'm 6'3 and have pretty big fingers! so, inevitably, when i try typing quick, i hit neighboring keys than the desired ones!

I really do not like the trackball equipped berry's either but was only considering it since am getting it for a pretty decent deal, under 16k. Am also looking at the new Curve 9300 3G now..

lets see how it goes!
Old 21st September 2010, 14:54   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that buddy, the keys on the 9700 keyboard seem too small for my liking, I'm 6'3 and have pretty big fingers! so, inevitably, when i try typing quick, i hit neighboring keys than the desired ones!

I really do not like the trackball equipped berry's either but was only considering it since am getting it for a pretty decent deal, under 16k. Am also looking at the new Curve 9300 3G now..

lets see how it goes!
if thats your issue then stick to the 9000 it has the largest most comfortable keys and the new 9300 has almost the same keys as my 8520 and after 20 odd minutes of fast typing my fingers REALLY hurt (i type docs on my bb dont ask why)
Old 21st September 2010, 15:00   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

lets see how it goes!
Im 6'4 and my fingers arent small either but its just a matter of getting used to. Agreed though that the 9000 keyboard is really good.
Old 21st September 2010, 16:31   #2682

The Problems have Started!! ARGH!!! My Bold 2 is acting Funny. I had connected it to an AUX cable to listen to some music in the car, and I got a call so I answered it. I used the phone's mmic, but the car speakers. After The call was done, I unplugged it, but the phone's handset speaker, the small one above the screen isnt working. It keeps on flasing a "headphones" symbol on the top of the screen too. I am getting annoyed!! SOMEONE HELP!!
Old 21st September 2010, 16:43   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Bombay usually has pretty good prices. When are you upgrading to the Torch?
Am quite happy with my Storm2 for the moment. The Torch did tempt me when i used it but i love the aesthetics of my Storm2 wayy better. Also, seeing that there is no new feature that im missing out on, have decided to stick with my Storm2.
P.S. - There are rumours of the Storm3, perhaps that might be even more persuasive in getting the Storm2 out of my palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The Problems have Started!! ARGH!!! My Bold 2 is acting Funny. I had connected it to an AUX cable to listen to some music in the car, and I got a call so I answered it. I used the phone's mmic, but the car speakers. After The call was done, I unplugged it, but the phone's handset speaker, the small one above the screen isnt working. It keeps on flasing a "headphones" symbol on the top of the screen too. I am getting annoyed!! SOMEONE HELP!!
Try a battery pull. Else, go into the music player & bring up the complete menu and select "Activate Speakerphone". Also, try plugging in & unplugging a 3.5 mm jack from the phone.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:40   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Am quite happy with my Storm2 for the moment.
Okay, the storm bug's bitten me too, started my berry hunt with the bold 9000, gave the new curve 9300 3g a thought for a while but my head's thinking about storm2 all the time, even though it's way out of my initial budget of 15k.

turns out that a brand new storm2 in grey (imported/unlocked), costs just under 21k. Major worry is that it does not come with manufacturer warranty, just one month of vendor warranty.

Need advise guys, should i take the plunge? any storm2 users here that have had major issues with the phone? I know it's all luck and the way the phone is used/abused but i thought i'd ask this question anyway!!

Last edited by raamki : 22nd September 2010 at 11:41. Reason: typo
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:46   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Guys, how come no one is discussing the Torch??

Its available here in the Grey Market : unlocked for 38k... Is it a fair price?
But this is the unlocked version of the US mobile right.
It has the AT&T symbol and it displays AT&T during startups.
And the prrice in chennai is 35 k for the AT&T Unlocked version.
Any idea when it is going to be launched in india ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks