Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:15   #2761
BHPian

@harjeev you can also try waze. Should work. Here on the forum there's a whole thread about it.
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:10   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
@harjeev - try reinstalling google maps while the GPS is paired. It might work.
Did this. Didn't work
I deleted the bluetooth connection, uninstalled google maps and then did a restart. Battery pullout restart.
After this I paired the Bluetooth GPS reciver again and then installed the Google Maps application but of no avail. The location proximity is 1500 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@harjeev you can also try waze. Should work. Here on the forum there's a whole thread about it.
Thanks for the info. Ill check that s/w out. However I would have liked if google maps would have worked as this gives me the option of creating maps on the PC saving it in google maps and then browsing them on the phone when I am on the moove.

I think that there wouldn't be any issues with an inbuilt GPS reciver in the handset.

However this used to work flawlessly on my Nokia E90 communicator.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:31   #2763
BANNED

@harjeev: I had a similar problem. Then I also installed google mobile apps and things started working. Remember some models may only have assisted GPS, i.e. GPRS based (probably using triangulation from towers) and not true GPS. I take it you had data services ON.
Old 24th October 2010, 18:15   #2764
BHPian

I need advice on they way sms/e-mail is organised in bb.
I have 3 message folders: sms, gmail, office mail. which means i have 3 message icons.

Now all the while sms gets mixed up in gmail & office mail ends up in sms folder. I then open each folder, go to option of e-mail settings and check the box on whatever i want to see for that folder.
Problem is, everytime i go into each folder, i see the settings of the pvs folder i just edited.

Sounds familiar ??

Update for people who are planning to buy BB from croma / next / some electronic megastore - please be aware that bb carries a 30 day DOA (dead on arrival) warranty apart from the standard 18months warranty. The shop owners will say only 2/3 days warranty for DOA just to save their headache. So no point of even arguing with them if your phone is DOA. Go to redington service center, (for bangalore contact Mr vinod, infantry road, near monarch hall or something like that) and if its a genuine fault, they will issue a DOA (they have to take permission from their corporate office, which takes max upto 30mins). Once they get the permission, they will issue you a DOA letter, make you sign 5 copies (for security). Take the DOA form to the same store and get yourself a new handset. Dont forget to ask for a fresh bill as the warranty will start from when you get the new handset.

How do i know all this ??
My bb was giving a static noise. Turns out that its the same with the display phone & not with bold (on display). The only way to find out more is to check on a new phone (same model)
Got myself a DOA, got a new phone, still a slight static which is gone now. Maybe the phones mic / speakers takes some time to burn in.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
1. RIM is opening a store in blr soon. Parterning with redigton. So we may get all things under one professional roof. I think its residency road, not sure
2. If your BB battery dies out, RIM wont sell you a new one (confirmed by redington service center and all folks there were like )

Last edited by quadra : 24th October 2010 at 18:19.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:42   #2765
Distinguished - BHPian

It maybe too late to be asking this question since my Torch is already on it's way but have heard the phone has major lagging/hanging problems?
Old 25th October 2010, 12:23   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It maybe too late to be asking this question since my Torch is already on it's way but have heard the phone has major lagging/hanging problems?
Can someone please confirm this? I might be picking a Torch up today evening or tomorrow.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:06   #2767
BHPian

Friends,

Off-late I am not able to Advance Edit the profiles on my BB.

How to trouble shoot this. I have removed the battery and restarted the phone but this was of no help.

Please suggest.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:11   #2768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Can someone please confirm this? I might be picking a Torch up today evening or tomorrow.
I did some more research on this and apparently the latest software update .248 has most issues ironed out. It's available on crackberry forum so I am going to upgrade to that once my phone arrive this weekend.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:36   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
I did some more research on this and apparently the latest software update .248 has most issues ironed out. It's available on crackberry forum so I am going to upgrade to that once my phone arrive this weekend.
Thanks for the heads up sahil. How much did it cost you and from where? I might be picking it up tonight for 33.5k from mobile store.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:41   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up sahil. How much did it cost you and from where? I might be picking it up tonight for 33.5k from mobile store.
26,500 from London
Old 25th October 2010, 14:20   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No problems at all in that department. No lagging at all. Its instant. This is before the .248 update. Havent seen a device run after the update so cant comment on that.
Old 25th October 2010, 14:23   #2772
BHPian

Folks,
Just changed from Nokia E 62 TO BLACKBERRY STORM 9500.My earlier handset used to have GPRS now not functional.Airtel tells i have to enroll for BB plan only then it will get activated.I have already downloaded opera...kindly advice.
tnx
Old 25th October 2010, 15:52   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@harjeev: I had a similar problem. Then I also installed google mobile apps and things started working. Remember some models may only have assisted GPS, i.e. GPRS based (probably using triangulation from towers) and not true GPS. I take it you had data services ON.
My model does not have GPS for sure as its a 8520. What I was trying to do is use a Bloetooth GPS, pair that with my BB8520 and then use the positioning capability of the Bluetooth GPS.
It works fine in the BB maps but they are of no use, however in the Google maps I only get the cell tower location and not the true position
Old 25th October 2010, 15:56   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Just changed from Nokia E 62 TO BLACKBERRY STORM 9500.My earlier handset used to have GPRS now not functional.Airtel tells i have to enroll for BB plan only then it will get activated.I have already downloaded opera...kindly advice.
tnx
If GPRS service is still activated go to setting > advance options > TCP IP and there enter the apn as airtelgprs.com. eave user name and password blank.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:21   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Facing an irritating problem.
On home screen the message icon shows 11 unread messages but i cant find any unread message in any folder, be it mail,sms,mms or anything cant find any unread.
Its curve 8520.

Help please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks