Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:20   #2821
BHPian

@dippy see my post earlier today in reply to manson and nishant. And specifically the first post of welcome and reply to manson for your setup requirements once you get it. And 11640 should be the price for unlocked phone.
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:38   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Query-
If I upgrade to os 5 on 8520 will my mail data,bbm contact list,sns and apps be erased?
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:47   #2823
BHPian

@harry no it backs up and restores
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:15   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@harry no it backs up and restores
Kindly confirm that it will restore all data incuding sms,mails and BB contacts.
Also is upgrading to 5 worth it?
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:34   #2825
BHPian

I have so far done upgrades for three of my friends phones. Apart from four firmware changes to mine. And I can confirm that it does a back up before it upgrades. HOWEVER since you are worried. First run a full backup from BBDM and then continue. Just for your peace of mind.

However if yours is a company phone attached to a corporate network where your company provides you with blackberry enterprise access. you have to contact admin to upgrade your handset.

And yes os 5 is well worth the update. Initially you will only see the snappyness later you will see the finer graphic differences. Also note that you will no longer have to use 'A' followed by the play/pause key to suspend. It will go to suspend with either. You will also get access to a host of BB and third party apps and themes specifically built around OS 5.

*MODS* Can some mod please just put all the important assist posts into one collective unit? As a note. Please it will make life a lot easier. I'm willing to type it out afresh if needed.
Old 4th November 2010, 01:51   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@techno welcome to the jungle :P yes apps only install to device m$emory. And with gps check out the waze app and see the page here on the forum. Also note that adding apps through anything other than app world may cost you browsing charges and operators are finicky. So try and get apps from app world only. Youtube streaming is chargeable on all operators so watch out. Wifi is free as ever!

To both of you'll the firmware update is for the phone. Now a few tricks so you can get what I'm saying. BB has a cool feature called autotext. For example typing 'myver' and then adding a space gives you something like this > 8520/5.0.0.509. The first bit is the handset model. The second is the firmware. Now devices in india were shipped with firmware 4.6 which is quite stable but is the boring older sibling. So just get the update from the BB website and all your themes and softwares will work just fine. Not that they won't work out of the boz they will. But os 5 is lightyears better.

Secondly people will keep asking you for your pin. That's your BBM identity number unique to each phone. Rather than go hunting for it just simply type 'mypin' and you will get something that looks like this pin:00XX00X0
Thanks, I am on unlimited data so thats not an issue, also my handset came with the latest firmware i.e. 5

btw when I type 'myver' or 'mypin' it shows nothing as it goes to my contact list.Where exactly do you type this?

I think I wasted money on sd card as I wont be putting anything, i bought it as I thought that it could be used for installing apps

Downloading waze now

Is there a free world clock app? I couldnt find one on app world.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:15   #2827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks, I am on unlimited data so thats not an issue, also my handset came with the latest firmware i.e. 5

btw when I type 'myver' or 'mypin' it shows nothing as it goes to my contact list.Where exactly do you type this?

I think I wasted money on sd card as I wont be putting anything, i bought it as I thought that it could be used for installing apps

Downloading waze now

Is there a free world clock app? I couldnt find one on app world.
its better to grab the upgrade file from internet to your desktop before you try upgrade, OTA (over the air) upgrade in India can take ages if it needs to download a 200-300mb update package.

mypin and myver will put your pin/version number when you are writing a e-mail, pin or SMS
mynumber was supposed to give you your number, but never worked on my 8330

Yes there are many few world clocks for BB
I sometimes use one simple one from freej2me.co.uk

Last edited by ghpk : 4th November 2010 at 02:18.
Old 4th November 2010, 02:40   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Downloading waze now

Is there a free world clock app? I couldn't find one on app world.
Most BB apps are pretty small. I don't even have a SD Card on my 8900 and i still have around 100+ MB free and i do keep a lot of attachments and pics on BB.

Few things i miss in BB:
- All apps should work over Wifi
- Multiple apn settings and phone should prompt which apn to use or if i want to USE wifi like in NOKIA
- Installing apps on Memory card
- Packet Data counter like in Nokia.
Old 4th November 2010, 03:03   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
its better to grab the upgrade file from internet to your desktop before you try upgrade, OTA (over the air) upgrade in India can take ages if it needs to download a 200-300mb update package.

mypin and myver will put your pin/version number when you are writing a e-mail, pin or SMS
mynumber was supposed to give you your number, but never worked on my 8330

Yes there are many few world clocks for BB
I sometimes use one simple one from freej2me.co.uk
Yes I had checked for update after connecting to the desktop app & it said that I have the latest one

Thanks now I know where to type it.

Yeah its quite funny to see now free app for something which is available by default in other phones, thanks for the link I got a basic clock from there, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Most BB apps are pretty small. I don't even have a SD Card on my 8900 and i still have around 100+ MB free and i do keep a lot of attachments and pics on BB.

Few things i miss in BB:
- All apps should work over Wifi
- Multiple apn settings and phone should prompt which apn to use or if i want to USE wifi like in NOKIA
- Installing apps on Memory card
- Packet Data counter like in Nokia.
I agree thats why I said that I wasted my money on the sd card.

Btw one more grouse, who was the smart chap who decided that call log should be displayed in messages, I mean come on how ridiculous design is that?

Also I arranged my all the icons in different folders as per my convenience, next I see a nice theme, i downloaded it & applied it & voila all the folders & files are back to where they were originally
Old 4th November 2010, 04:05   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Also I arranged my all the icons in different folders as per my convenience, next I see a nice theme, i downloaded it & applied it & voila all the folders & files are back to where they were originally
Yes, the themes not saving the arranged folders & layout is a pain.
I have now kept only my favorite themes & painstakingly saved the layout for each one. So now whenever i change my theme the layout is same. And i try not to download any new themes
Old 4th November 2010, 06:47   #2831
BHPian

Guys don't worry that sd card is not a waste I use mine to watch movies. those 700mb divx/mp4's work great!

Secondly mynumber will only work if you have a number registered on your sim else it doesn't. And in the 8900 you have two browsers if you have the unlimited data plan. (Please do NOT use the live browsers. I.e. Airtel live or vodafone live. They attract browsing charges.) The internet browser is your default edge browser and the hotspot one is your default wifi browser.
So going into main screen>browser(any)>general properties>default browser and swapping it makes it change the default use mode. But not if you are already browsing. Things like facebook are still under development so there is no deployment of that in wifi.
@techno: from home screen press call key once it will show you call log. Press blackberry key go to options>call logging>select none.

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 4th November 2010 at 06:51.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:56   #2832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@manson in BBDM you have more than a few sync options. You can sync from just phone to pc (useful for contacts the first time) and then from pc to phone (useful for tasks etc) and then also do a two way which keeps both up-to-date. Then under general you will also find the options for device backup. I do once a week backups.

Will get around doing this on Sunday. Weekdays are too hectic and so much inflow of 'communication' is already keeping me even more busy!

Quote:

To both of you'll the firmware update is for the phone. Now a few tricks so you can get what I'm saying. BB has a cool feature called autotext. For example typing 'myver' and then adding a space gives you something like this > 8520/5.0.0.509. The first bit is the handset model. The second is the firmware. Now devices in india were shipped with firmware 4.6 which is quite stable but is the boring older sibling. So just get the update from the BB website and all your themes and softwares will work just fine. Not that they won't work out of the boz they will. But os 5 is lightyears better.

Ok, superb. My phone is running 9700/5.0.0.680! Do I need to update?

Quote:
Secondly people will keep asking you for your pin. That's your BBM identity number unique to each phone. Rather than go hunting for it just simply type 'mypin' and you will get something that looks like this pin:00XX00X0

Pin is sorted, had taken it from my status, thanks for the tip though.

Quote:
@manson for your other question. No its just a voice dialer really! Nothing great. Out of the box it works ok. But teaching it is always good.
Ok, then I'l not bother around it at this point. As it is I am spending way too much time setting up and learning new things around this phone, loving every bit of this BB experience.

Three queries at this point:1. My hotmail inbox on the phone keeps pulling in emails from months ago for some odd reason alongwith the new emails that I get. Why is this happening? It does not happen for any of my three other email addresses on vanl and gmail.

2. When I click on Blackberry App World icon, I see a prompt that says Blackberry App Worls is having trouble connecting to its server and that I should check my network connection. What is that about? FYI I am on the 299/month plan for unlimited use of BB services.

3. When making a phone call, I get a 'call forwarding - conditonal' prompt. Is this related to my missed call alerts option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Got the Torch, used for 3 days, dumped the Torch.

I did not like it one bit, perhaps if I switched from the iPhone to the Torch I would like it better. But I have gone back to my Bold2 as I find it sooo much more comfortable to use.
Yes, the keypad and the slider were the reason it did not feature in my shortlist. The only positive was a better camera. Is the battery life on the Torch really all that bad though?

@Dippy: Mobile store price for the 8520 is Rs. 11,800. The 9300 at this point does not seem too much bang for that extra 7K, you should atleast have a better battery life at that price.
I'm guessing they would include a screen guard and an extra flip cover in that, so anything lower for a bill & warranty handset is a good deal.
Or you could wait it out a couple of days to avail slightly lower prices post Diwali which was inital intent actually.

manson.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:32   #2833
BHPian

Ok, superb. My phone is running 9700/5.0.0.680! Do I need to update?
nope not needed. Not YET

Three queries at this point:1. My hotmail inbox on the phone keeps pulling in emails from months ago for some odd reason alongwith the new emails that I get. Why is this happening? It does not happen for any of my three other email addresses on vanl and gmail.

this is because your inbox has been set to forward everyhthing to the phone. Open hotmail and settings and set it to only forward emails from a specified day forward. Do it from a PC

2. When I click on Blackberry App World icon, I see a prompt that says Blackberry App Worls is having trouble connecting to its server and that I should check my network connection. What is that about? FYI I am on the 299/month plan for unlimited use of BB services.

no you only have email and chat for a personal service. This is called prosumer LITE. You need the full prosumer package to get OTA updates and use app world and other services like twitter and fb

3. When making a phone call, I get a 'call forwarding - conditonal' prompt. Is this related to my missed call alerts option?

no this is call forwarding go into settings and disable call forwarding to voicemail unless you use it often

See replies in bold
Old 4th November 2010, 15:32   #2834
Team-BHP Support

Ok. I went into the options tab in my hotmail account, but there isn't a thing related to forwarding emails from a certain date. This thing is getting annoying the way it pulls in some 15-20 emails every few hours.
Secondly, do I need to register my phone, or something like that on the BB website?

manson.
Old 4th November 2010, 15:41   #2835
BHPian

Will do the hotmail bit when I get home. And no the moment you have turned on your BB service your handset is registered!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks