Old 7th December 2010, 12:07   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Does 8520 supports the OS6?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:17   #2987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Does 8520 supports the OS6?
No the BB6 does not support the 8520. Here is a link to one of the discussions. The processor is not fast enough!

EDIT: Here is the official list of devices that can be upgraded to BlackBerry 6 when the OS is released by RIM:

Devices That Will Support BlackBerry 6
Bold 9650
Pearl 9100 and 9105
Bold 9700
Storm2 9520 and 9550

Last edited by Neilguy : 7th December 2010 at 12:21.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:18   #2988
BHPian

@harry10 no absolutely not. Atleast not yet but there are a few hybrid customs available. If you are willing to risk it. Far as I know it runs fairly decently.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:40   #2989
BHPian

Thanks guys,

Another quick one -

Is it possible to blacklist (by providing the IMEI #) that misplaced handset for all service providers, If yes How ?
Old 7th December 2010, 14:56   #2990
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@NFS you're talking about all standard features of a blackberry. There are no specifics far as I can see. Except you seem to want a touchscreen but don't want a slider. That ruled out the Torch(it was the only touchscreen one). The other touchscreen the storm's are all but too old now for anyone to go out and buy a brand new one I suggest you don't bother with them.

That leaves the 8520 curve/ 9300 curve/ 9700 bold. Now the prices are something like 11k / 17.5k / 24k. While the 8520 sounds awesome at the price I would ask you to buy the younger curve the 9300. It strikes a balance between performance features and battery life. Also you will get 3G with it. The bold is much better on battery and features but I wouldn't advise a beginner to start with it.

To address each point. Email is a feature of BB services so go out and get the 899 or 1099 plan and you will get one business account plus 9 personal email addresses. If you have a BlackBerry backbone server in your company you may or may not get personal email dependent on your company's IT policies. The same goes for chat and social networking.

If however you are in a company where you don't have the BB backbone you can even go for the base plan with internet services in which case you can have IM plus email and everything.
With fb and twitter its like a mini profile in your address book. Once linked to both you can fb/tweet/IM and email/sms/call your friend/s from the address book alone. You have the option of EGDE/wifi access from the main menu for browsing.

It can store emails infinitely. But then I only store for 15 days and then remote search my emails. It does everything needed with email. There's documents to go and 2 other full blown office utilities. You have the blackberry and crackberry app store at your fingertips and if you got the green the app world is your playground. I'd suggest you find one and toy with it for a while say at a croma or something and then see which one you like.

Two downsides however. Must be honest you see. This is a data and security intensive phone and once ON you don't really turn it off. So it needs a charge once a day. Normally at night. At that point you can use the brilliant bedside mode. Also there's NO FM *forget it*. Those internal DACS are brilliant and with the new 9300 you also have the choice of FLAC playback and upto 32G memory. You can also watch movies on it. Yes the screen 'looks' tiny but believe me I've almost corrupted my memory card in 8 months with the number of movies I've watched and deleted. With my inears it sounds amazing too. Brilliant stereo seperation. Though a little low in the bass department. Video clarity is very good. It does bluetooth seamlessly and it will continue to plod away with file transfers even if you go on a call. But I've never managed to get it to pair properly.

Best of luck! Welcome to BB!

@arjunrudra sir I haven't been able to get my hands on an OS6 phone. My friend with the custom OS6 on his 8520 sold it just two days ago and my boss doesn't believe in a day off for me. Ill check with the croma near my workplace and come back here. Apologies for the delay.
Thanks a bunch for this detailed reply. Sliders are known to make contact electrical contact problems with usage. The Brick form has lesser moving parts and would not end up with such problems.

So in your opinion BB 9700 Bold would be the best buy, but not recommended for a newbie. The next alternative would be 9300 Curve and cost wise half of torch.

My Question to you: What if I take Torch? ignoring my issue with slider? how do you rate this choice?

Not a big fan of FM radio, but thought would be a nice to have feature.

Charging required once in a day, but my voice calls are minimal (3 to 5 calls of may be 5 to 10 mins duration). So I think, we will get to know these factors based on our usage.

Not a big fan of movies till now, but no one knows, I might get hooked up too with BB.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:45   #2991
BHPian

The 9700 all aside is a brilliant handset it does everything with amazing feel. though sometime ago I fidgeted with one running OS6. The real show of OS6 is the torch. A masterpiece with a la chris bangle love it or hate it opinions. Now I haven't gotten to use one sadly but I would love to. You like it plonk for it. BB's are like that. Don't lose your mind pick one and join the ranks.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:59   #2992
BHPian

@NFS: If you have the money, buy a torch. PERIOD
I am using 9300 for the past month and i haven't regretted my decision. Once you buy a BB, you will be glad you bought it & probably will not go back

And 9300 does support OS6. Check this thread, i have posted a video of 9300 running OS6

@valhallen: any avi/mkv to MP4 video convertor which provides an option to change the aspect ratio ? The thing is, i used handbrake and it doesnt give me the option to change the aspect ratio hence i have that black bar sandwhich ing the video.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:27   #2993
BHPian

@quadra VLC ki jai! That's what I use and it let's you do everything you want in the format you need. Test with small clips first and keep a lid on data rates. There is a threshold for that too
Old 7th December 2010, 23:50   #2994
BHPian

@Valhallen: Thats news to me. I thought VLC was only a player & not a converter. Thanks, will try out and paste the results here.
Old 8th December 2010, 07:35   #2995
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@arjunrudra sir I haven't been able to get my hands on an OS6 phone. My friend with the custom OS6 on his 8520 sold it just two days ago and my boss doesn't believe in a day off for me. Ill check with the croma near my workplace and come back here. Apologies for the delay.
Oh please thats not a problem, Tell me when you get hold of an os6 .I fiddled infinitely with my Torch and couldnt find it at all, so will leave it o the experts. And also please dont call me sir, Im just 22.
Old 9th December 2010, 20:11   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
No the BB6 does not support the 8520. Here is a link to one of the discussions. The processor is not fast enough!

EDIT: Here is the official list of devices that can be upgraded to BlackBerry 6 when the OS is released by RIM:

Devices That Will Support BlackBerry 6
Bold 9650
Pearl 9100 and 9105
Bold 9700
Storm2 9520 and 9550
The Storm2 will not support it
I should know, i have one
Old 10th December 2010, 12:14   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
I am looking to buy my first BB device but am limited by a modest 20K budget. What are my options in this price range?
I don't want to buy the 8520 as its pretty old. Same for 8900 and 9000. Love the 9780 and 9700 but they are out of my reach.
Whats the major difference between the 2? From what I could see it the OS, camera and onboard storage.
I love the BB 9800 but I feel its madness to spend 35K on a mobile, no offense to guys who already have it.

Looking forward to your help.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:17   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello guys,
I am looking to buy my first BB device but am limited by a modest 20K budget. What are my options in this price range?
I don't want to buy the 8520 as its pretty old. Same for 8900 and 9000. Love the 9780 and 9700 but they are out of my reach.
Whats the major difference between the 2? From what I could see it the OS, camera and onboard storage.
I love the BB 9800 but I feel its madness to spend 35K on a mobile, no offense to guys who already have it.

Looking forward to your help.
Your best bets then is BB Curve 3G 9300 (BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 | Flipkart Mobiles)

Check with Quadra on the forum. He too bought the same model recently.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:44   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Your best bets then is BB Curve 3G 9300 (BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 | Flipkart Mobiles)

Check with Quadra on the forum. He too bought the same model recently.

I second Nishant on this one.

MY BB CURVE 3G 9300 story ( Took a water bath and came back alive )

Bought a BB on 27th Nov , moved from Nokia E72 to BB Curve 3g 9300 and it fell into a bucket of water on 5th Dec. Took it out within a second and the power was still on , quickly removed the battery and put the BB in dry rice for some time and then under the lamp before dozing off.

Next morning i put the battery back and luckily the phone turned on and stopped at about 80% giving a JVM 217 error and an option to reset the phone , I was like thank god it's gonna be back but when i clicked on reset it again showed the same error. I quickly removed tha battery and did some research on the net and saw some videos on youtube.com and 95% of the people suggested to keep it in a bowl full of rice for about 48 - 72 hours , Luckily i still had my E72 so i was patient to keep it in there.

The rice is supposed to have qualities to suck out any moisture gone into the electric components. Took out the phone from the rice bowl on 9th and put the battery in again and shucks the same error. I googled the BB toll free number and told them about the error and not the mishap ( obviously i did not want the warranty to go void - as if they would not know which i found out later ).

They suggested me to go to the BB center and get an OS reload to get the issue fixed. I went to the BB center the next day and the receptionist upon checking ( as expected ) told me that it had fallen into water but they would still help me with it ( i felt like hugging her for that kind act ).

After she passed on my BB to the engineer he came out and told me that there's one problem in reloading the OS which is that the phone might completely go dead in the process and i might have to pay 80% of the phone cost to get it repaired . One can imagine my plight with paying 80% of 18k for a week old BB. I asked him the chances of it getting fixed and his answer was 80% ( it works ) 20% it dies , i took the chance and started to pray for it to come back to life and VOILA after 20 minutes he came out and asked me to check the phone. IT WORKED..i actually told him that i OWE him one ( lol ).

I love the BB and their kind gesture to fix the phone for me FOC.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd December 2010 at 11:18. Reason: Please see Team-BHP Rule #11. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2010, 00:45   #3000
BHPian

Had a similar experience with redington Blr. Those guys are way better than nokia care maybe bcoz of the selective audience.
Buy any phone you like & after a month or so u would be down with doing what a phone is supposed to do. Then its like how you make best use of the phone that matters.

Personally for me, BB has taken the entire faltu stuff like e-mail, social networking off from my work computer. I do all the personal stuff on BB which means I do more work on my office pc. And BB is taking care of all my stuff gracefully...no questions asked.

@ hiren: go for 9300. Best buy under 20k.

PS: Posted via BB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks