Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 12:07   #3166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I had to reload the OS to get it working. I checked with the official vendors, and they too confirmed that reinstall is the only way to resolve this issue

Oflate the Opera browser is also giving issues. It crashes often, so i am using only the BB browser for now.
Hey,

I too spoke to a few vendors here and they too confirmed that its a known bug in 8520. I have not tried the opera browser on BB.

Are you happy with the Battery life on BB8520? i am not and neither are my 2 friends who are using the same phone. My E71 was lasting 2 days easily and with same usage I need to charge this every day and at times twice a day.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:01   #3167
Senior - BHPian

8520 has the worst battery i had ever seen in a phone. i charge it twice a day and i am fed up of this. My nokia n95 4gig was charged once in 2 days n i use to use it more than the BB.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:07   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

I too spoke to a few vendors here and they too confirmed that its a known bug in 8520. I have not tried the opera browser on BB.

Are you happy with the Battery life on BB8520? i am not and neither are my 2 friends who are using the same phone. My E71 was lasting 2 days easily and with same usage I need to charge this every day and at times twice a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
8520 has the worst battery i had ever seen in a phone. i charge it twice a day and i am fed up of this. My nokia n95 4gig was charged once in 2 days n i use to use it more than the BB.
Yes 8520 battery is bad, but no so much that you need to charge it twice a day!

It all depends on how many memory and battery hogging apps you are running, number of mails and SMS sent/recd and media usage.

E.g. I have 3 email a/cs configured and get about 50-60 emails daily (out of which I reply to about 15 odd). I dont have any network intensive apps running (no Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter). Apart from this, I generally have 10-15 calls and 15-20 SMS daily.

With this usage, my battery lasts 1 day.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:55   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Anyone using BIS with 3G from BSNL ? Hows the service ? and can we Tether with 3G connection ? There is a 999 wala UL plan which makes awesome deal if we can tether it.
I am using BIS with 2G/2.5G right now, the service has been very good. They dont allow tether in 2G plans and nothing is mentioned about the 3G plan. Mail their email support bbsupport@bsnl.co.in and they will confirm whether tethering is allowed in 3G or not. Add to it email support has been exceptional till date.
Old 1st March 2011, 21:35   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Now I have 3G on my Blackberry 9700 (Vodafone Delhi) officially.

I am on 599 email/messenger/browsing/downloading plan.

Is there any way I can use it on my laptop (tethering) ?
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:16   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
For all of those here bothered with their battery life try the following few steps.

1) Reduce backlight! This is one of the first monkeys to steal battery! Mine never goes over 10 or 20 % without ever reducing readability.

2) Get an original BB holster/pouch. They have a magnetic strip that activates the BB's power save mode so to speak. Which is why under all your sounds menus you get 'in holster' & 'out of holster'. They don't cost more than 500 bucks and look very nifty and BlackBerryBoy indeed.

3) Under your profile reduce the number of vibrations for every I'm to one. Believe me you will get used to it and it will save you serious battery.

4) Reduce the check interval on apps like twitter and facebook. They are real hungry for updates.

5) Try to use the native messenger apps. While we all like the idea of more variety the native messengers are much better in their push capabilities. Also it means one less app. If you absolutely MUST use some other apps delete the native messengers except BBM (Doh!)

6) Disable the check for update under settings on whatever applications you use! The new BlackBerry App world pushes to you an update in the form of a notification.

7) Preferably update apps via wifi. Its way faster and does not make you wait frustratingly long for the app to get pushed via EDGE/3G/EVDO. (Also it won't clog up the data lines in case you are getting an email or IM.

8)Delete delete delete. Become a clean freak here. Delete apps you don't want. They unnecessarily consume space, increase boot time, cause slowdowns, clog the data lines and in most cases end up being rarely used.

9) Use the clock and bedside mode. Whenever you sleep plug into charger. This will bring up the clock (unless you disabled it). The clock has a lovely function called bedside mode where you can either turn off your notifications by selecting the profile OR turn off the radio that is your network. Saves and charges battery same time see.

10) Learn to use auto-turn off. Its under options. This turns on or off your handheld at specific times. Will make you and the Mr/Missus happy. Trust me.

11) Clean clean clean. Not the phone the memory card. If you are a media junkie like I am take the time to not only format the memory card but to also check for errors and defragment. It makes a world of a difference.

12) Try to use the headset or a bluetooth one. Keeps away harmful radiation and saves you battery because the backlight turns off faster.

13) Keep a lid on your network connections. That means make sure you turn off wifi/3G/gps when you don't need it.
Nice one. Thanks.

Hope I buy my first BB this month. Also, thinking of moving to Voda from Airtel after I get it ( emm, maybe DoCoMo since they have 3G).
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:03   #3172
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the final verdict on the OS6 on 9700?
I stayed away from it since the initial updates had complaints of it being laggy.
Latest update is here: Official OS 6.0.0.461 for the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and Curve 9300 from Telus | CrackBerry.com
Should i take the plunge?
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:16   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I stayed away from it since the initial updates had complaints of it being laggy.
Latest update is here: Official OS 6.0.0.461 for the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and Curve 9300 from Telus | CrackBerry.com
I've been using OS6 on 9700 since the time it came out and the one thing it has never been (in any version of OS6) is "laggy". There were some complaints of memory leaks, lack of copy/paste in address book, awful battery life (which got better after 3-4 recharges) and missing cursors in sms/bbm. But it has never been laggy.

Changing to OS6 from OS5 is a revelation and it feels as if your BB has got a whole new lease of life! I can NEVER go back to using a OS5 BB after using this. You might have to spend some time "learning" to use the tips and tricks of OS6, but once you do, you'll never look back. Good luck.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:24   #3174
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi All,

Brought a new BB pearl 3G 9100 from team-bhpian "nandishpal".

It was the lowest price, which I could get from the market. For that matter better price than what a corporate would have got it. More than that, it was very good experience I had in shopping with him. He was kind enough to answer all my questions and also able to suggest. I got the bill and the 18 months manufactures warranty.

Although he has arrangement to drop BB at my place, decide to pick it up from his shop in Avenue road. Sent him a mail, and in minutes he called and gave all the details. He was in touch until I reach his shop an closed the deal in 10 minutes.

Best part, while driving back to my place, received a SMS thanking for shopping. It was really nice to see the SMS. Later in the evening, he did called me up to enquire about my experience with the phone.

I would recommend "nandishpal", if someone wants to buy a BB in Bangalore. Please do note that I don't have any affliction or interest with his business or blackberry. I am just a buyer like anyone else.

@ nandishpal : Thanks for being a good seller.

regards,
-manju
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:43   #3175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Im just upgrading to that right now. Will keep you updated on how it goes. Apparently its a lot better than 6.0.0.316 or whatever. Hopefully it will be great, so I can make my friends who bought 9780s feel like they wasted money. (Kidding, I know the 9780 has a couple more features)
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:48   #3176
Senior - BHPian

I recently upgraded to OS 5.0.0.1036 on my BB Curve 8520. As usual, there are no changelogs available on the net (I wonder why RIM never releases these!). I noticed one major difference though - while charging (either through USB or wall charger), the 'lightening bolt' symbol on the battery keeps blinking mildly.

Also, I'm happy to note that time lag in opening the calendar (if default setting was 'Agenda view') has finally been solved!

P.S. What are the differences between 9700 and 9780 other than higher RAM and default OS 6 on the latter?
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:32   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

P.S. What are the differences between 9700 and 9780 other than higher RAM and default OS 6 on the latter?
The other major difference between the two is that that 9780 has a 5 megapixel camera compared to the 3 megapixel on the 9700.
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:48   #3178
BHPian

Thanks manju for your kind words,i realised a thing recently,it is very easy to sell to a fellow bhpian,because he already trusts you
i am willing to give a special price to all bhpians
even if you cant buy you can send me a pm & i will give you the best quote for you to negotiate with your vendor,happy to help
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi All,

Brought a new BB pearl 3G 9100 from team-bhpian "nandishpal".

It was the lowest price, which I could get from the market. For that matter better price than what a corporate would have got it. More than that, it was very good experience I had in shopping with him. He was kind enough to answer all my questions and also able to suggest. I got the bill and the 18 months manufactures warranty.

Although he has arrangement to drop BB at my place, decide to pick it up from his shop in Avenue road. Sent him a mail, and in minutes he called and gave all the details. He was in touch until I reach his shop an closed the deal in 10 minutes.

Best part, while driving back to my place, received a SMS thanking for shopping. It was really nice to see the SMS. Later in the evening, he did called me up to enquire about my experience with the phone.

I would recommend "nandishpal", if someone wants to buy a BB in Bangalore. Please do note that I don't have any affliction or interest with his business or blackberry. I am just a buyer like anyone else.

@ nandishpal : Thanks for being a good seller.

regards,
-manju
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:58   #3179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Im just upgrading to that right now. Will keep you updated on how it goes. Apparently its a lot better than 6.0.0.316 or whatever. Hopefully it will be great, so I can make my friends who bought 9780s feel like they wasted money. (Kidding, I know the 9780 has a couple more features)
Upgraded to OS6 and its working perfectly till now. The only issue is the bbm cursor missing, but thats not a biggie. Anyone with a 9700, upgrade to this.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:01   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Now I have 3G on my Blackberry 9700 (Vodafone Delhi) officially.

I am on 599 email/messenger/browsing/downloading plan.

Is there any way I can use it on my laptop (tethering) ?
Has Vodafone launched 3G in Delhi? I think not!

Most Viewed