Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 11:29   #3181
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Upgraded to OS6 and its working perfectly till now. The only issue is the bbm cursor missing, but thats not a biggie. Anyone with a 9700, upgrade to this.
This can be fixed. If you aren't already on the bandwagon please goto www.blackberry.com/beta they have a BBM beta program on over there that has a fix for the issue.

@harry10 my battery lasts a day. But the first word I have for you is cleanup. Clear out the programs you don't use. Also if you use a lot of media/music I suggest you get a defrag done. Reduces access and read/write times. Those are real power hungry monsters right there.

@sahil they have OS 6.1 coming soon. That will bring with it lots of fixes. And in most cases lag is to do with data on your handheld. I would suggest you to reduce your keep messages time to 15 days and learn to use the remote search facility.

@nishant they have also done a few cosmetic changes. Wifi capabilities have also become a wee bit better. There are new apps. But you won't notice that if you updated all apps via the new appworld. Some memory leaks have been solved.

@wandernomad yes they have but only in certain sectors. Please call your service provider helpline for details or ping them on twitter for updates.

For everyone else reading. Kindly update to the latest BBM and facebook if you are using them. They carry a bucketload of fixes.

For everybody else interested in the latest BB apps join blackberry.com/beta
Old 5th March 2011, 22:46   #3182
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

I too spoke to a few vendors here and they too confirmed that its a known bug in 8520. I have not tried the opera browser on BB.

Are you happy with the Battery life on BB8520? i am not and neither are my 2 friends who are using the same phone. My E71 was lasting 2 days easily and with same usage I need to charge this every day and at times twice a day.
Battery life is one of the weakest point in 8520. Infact all the BB models will fare poorly when compared to other brands like Nokia, iPhone when it comes to battery life, but 8520 is particularly the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
8520 has the worst battery i had ever seen in a phone. i charge it twice a day and i am fed up of this. My nokia n95 4gig was charged once in 2 days n i use to use it more than the BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes 8520 battery is bad, but no so much that you need to charge it twice a day!

It all depends on how many memory and battery hogging apps you are running, number of mails and SMS sent/recd and media usage.

E.g. I have 3 email a/cs configured and get about 50-60 emails daily (out of which I reply to about 15 odd). I dont have any network intensive apps running (no Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter). Apart from this, I generally have 10-15 calls and 15-20 SMS daily.

With this usage, my battery lasts 1 day.
I put the phone on charger at night. The battery more or less drains out by the end of the day. If i do some heavy browsing, then by evening i will have to go for a recharge :(
Old 6th March 2011, 10:38   #3183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Has Vodafone launched 3G in Delhi? I think not!
They have. I have got it activated on my number.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:02   #3184
Senior - BHPian

On my 8520, I recently upgraded to OS 5 .1096 (I was previously on .900). Earlier, my battery used to last almost the whole day. I needed to put it on charge every morning only. However now I'm noticing a significant battery drain in this version, despite having the very same apps running. Is this possible?

Is it possible to revert to a lower sub-version of the OS 5? Last I remember that I downgraded from OS 5 to OS 4.6 and it almost bricked my BB.

P.S. These are the apps I have installed:
1. ScanLife
2. Berry Buzz
3. ASAP
4. Facebook
5. CitiMobile
6. Documents to Go
7. Later Dude Pro
8. Add to Contact
9. Mr Number Call Block
10. FX Converter
11. One Touch Launcher
12. Sendit
Old 7th March 2011, 13:33   #3185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Has Vodafone launched 3G in Delhi? I think not!
yes they have. It is a soft launch. Free till 31st March. (data within your limit, or charges @2G)

Just send "ACT 3G" to 111 (postpaid) or 144 (prepaid).
Old 7th March 2011, 14:24   #3186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
yes they have. It is a soft launch. Free till 31st March. (data within your limit, or charges @2G)

Just send "ACT 3G" to 111 (postpaid) or 144 (prepaid).
By free till 31st march, what do you mean? After that there will be extra charges for 3G?
Old 7th March 2011, 14:56   #3187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By free till 31st march, what do you mean? After that there will be extra charges for 3G?
hey,

I guess they will be charging for 3G after 31st March. Thats what my contact here at Vodafone told me. they will be having plans like VMC. And 3G data plans are expected to start from 399 / month and up to 1099 / month.

These aren't confirmed rates but this is what I was informed.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:44   #3188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
hey,

I guess they will be charging for 3G after 31st March. Thats what my contact here at Vodafone told me. they will be having plans like VMC. And 3G data plans are expected to start from 399 / month and up to 1099 / month.

These aren't confirmed rates but this is what I was informed.
Well ive activated mine here in Mumbai and all the message said was that charges would remain the same, and no mention of 31st march or anything.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:48   #3189
Senior - BHPian

I have a Bold 9000 which has been working like a charm for the last 7 months but since last 2 days, the battery is draining away like crazy and discharging within half a day or even less and also heating up. This is happening only when the data service is on and the battery drain is arrested and is back to normal when it is off. I am using Vodafone and I tried battery pulls and switching off the 3G as was advised on various internet forums but to no avil. I see a lot of activity as indicated by the up and down arrows when data service is on. Gurus any help here will be appreciated.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:53   #3190
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to get a BB Bold 2 and i would like to know, if i get an unlimited 3G plan from BSNL, can i tether it to my laptop and use the net on the computer? I've heard that Tethering is charged separately in BB plans. is it so?
Old 7th March 2011, 17:23   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
Well ive activated mine here in Mumbai and all the message said was that charges would remain the same, and no mention of 31st march or anything.
I have Send request to Vodafone, the message i got was " We have accepted your request for 3 g services. we are checking your device type and will get back to you within 72 Hours"

Now My handset is 3G capable what more they want to check and 72 hours have also passed by but no reply from Vodafone
Old 7th March 2011, 17:58   #3192
BHPian

I am currently on v5.0.0.832 and was thinking of an upgrade. Via BB.com you get routed to india and finally to Bharti as the telecom vendor (i am on airtel). Is that version only for those phones which are purchased via airtel outlets (like locked by airtel) ?

Here are the options i get

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1602 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1602
Consisting of:
Applications: 5.0.0.977
Software Platform: 6.3.0.63
File name: 9300jEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1602_PL6.3.0.63_A5.0.0.9 77_Bharti_Airtel_Limited.exe
File size: 131.6MB

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1399 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1399
Consisting of:
Applications: 5.0.0.832
Software Platform: 6.3.0.31
File name: 9300jEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1399_PL6.3.0.31_A5.0.0.8 32_Bharti_Airtel_Limited.exe
File size: 124.96MB

Confused i am

If not the above version, i would like to upgrade to OS6. Any official launch yet ?

Last edited by quadra : 7th March 2011 at 18:15.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:40   #3193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I have Send request to Vodafone, the message i got was " We have accepted your request for 3 g services. we are checking your device type and will get back to you within 72 Hours"

Now My handset is 3G capable what more they want to check and 72 hours have also passed by but no reply from Vodafone
Do you have the Bold 9780? My friends who have the 9780 get the message you got, whereas the ones with the 9700 got the message saying it will be activated in 24 hours. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I am currently on v5.0.0.832 and was thinking of an upgrade. Via BB.com you get routed to india and finally to Bharti as the telecom vendor (i am on airtel). Is that version only for those phones which are purchased via airtel outlets (like locked by airtel) ?
Go to crackberry.com and visit their forums. Over there you will get the link for the latest os for your phone. 9700 I presume?

Once downloaded install the firmware then open my computer> c drive> program files> common files> apploader. In here delete the vendor.xml file at the bottom. Then in the same folder you will see an exe file of apploader. Click that and install your firmware, it will work on any phone whether locked or not.
Old 7th March 2011, 19:46   #3194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'm planning to get a BB Bold 2 and i would like to know, if i get an unlimited 3G plan from BSNL, can i tether it to my laptop and use the net on the computer? I've heard that Tethering is charged separately in BB plans. is it so?
Yes. Tethering is charged separately. Ask BSNL for the exact tariff. Idea charges around 20ps/KB
Old 7th March 2011, 21:25   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi akshay,

So how would you rate the 3G on vodafone on your BB 9700? I am currently using BB8520 and planning to upgrade to 9700.

Has the surfing experience gone up?

Most Viewed