Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 15:36   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Got a BB bold 2 a few days back, and I'm lovin it! Just a few questions tho. How can I copy contacts into the phone from my galaxyS without using outlook, as I'm havin some issues with outlook sync on my galaxy. Also, I accidentaly copied some contacts repeatedly into the BB, and now am faced with having to delete each one of them individually. Is there any way to mark several and delete or to delete all contacts In one go? Also can I copy contacts from the mem card onto the phone??
Old 14th March 2011, 15:50   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Got a BB bold 2 a few days back, and I'm lovin it! Just a few questions tho. How can I copy contacts into the phone from my galaxyS without using outlook, as I'm havin some issues with outlook sync on my galaxy. Also, I accidentaly copied some contacts repeatedly into the BB, and now am faced with having to delete each one of them individually. Is there any way to mark several and delete or to delete all contacts In one go? Also can I copy contacts from the mem card onto the phone??
Congrats for new BB.

For copying contacts, delete every contact from phone, Use Google Sync, sync with your google account which you have been using in Galaxy S, Done.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:54   #3213
Senior - BHPian

one question: who is moderating the T-Bhp BB group? I tried joining the group couple of days back, and the status still shows as pending.

Hope I am posting it in the correct section, apologies if this is the wrong section for the post.
Old 14th March 2011, 19:58   #3214
BHPian

Guys,
Great thread to read. It quite exhaustive and informative.
I am planning to buy a BB 9300. Is it advisable to buy from a website if they offer good deals(2k difference) or stores are preferred ?
I am just worried about the warranty claims handling if I buy from website.
Also, how easy it is to upgrade to OS 6.0? any information available on that ?

Cheers,
Nishan
Old 14th March 2011, 20:40   #3215
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I finally took the plunge and shifted from curve 8520 to bold 9780. I got a very good deal from a local store. It was bought by a college kid in Jan and now wanted to upgrade to torch . So I ended up with the deal as Curve 8520 + 9500 cash. This phone is in mint condition and has very minor scratches on it. Phone is loaded with OS6 and works amazing.

I only need to now use the GPS / Maps and I am all set. By the way, which maps work best with this? Google maps? Waze?

Thanks guys.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:10   #3216
BANNED

I have only one problem with BB. There are no freebies to move your phonebook across, etc. I ended up installing the Google Synch App, then moving phonebook up to the cloud, and then downloading from there. Of course one advantage of synch - everytime you log on to Google your contacts list gets automatically synched. If your phone is lost or run over by a truck, you can restore very fast.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:19   #3217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Congrats for new BB.

For copying contacts, delete every contact from phone,
This is precisely my problem, how do i delete all contacts from the phone without deleting the other data? The delete contacts option is blanked out on my BB desktop software too.
Old 15th March 2011, 10:28   #3218
BHPian

My BB Bold 3 9780 does not sync FB pictures with contacts.

I have checked that option on FB options page, i have cleared the cache, logged out of FB and logged in again.

I see that FB has synced with my BB contacts, but it just does not show the FB profile picture as contact picture.

Anyone faced this problem, know a workaround?

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2011, 12:57   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have only one problem with BB. There are no freebies to move your phonebook across, etc. I ended up installing the Google Synch App, then moving phonebook up to the cloud, and then downloading from there. Of course one advantage of synch - everytime you log on to Google your contacts list gets automatically synched. If your phone is lost or run over by a truck, you can restore very fast.
Try Funambol to get your phonebooks in sync OTA. It supports all major phone platforms including iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Symbian(Nokia) and Windows Mobile and has helped me innumerable times to get my phonebooks in sync over various phones. I'd also blogged earlier about how it had helped me. I prefer it to Google Sync because Gmail has a habit of adding people you email into My Contacts which leaves your phone book with a lot of unwanted contact names with just their email ids, unless you add phone number to each contact in Gmail's My Contacts.

You can find some info at this link: keep-your-contacts-in-sync-on-different-mobile-phones-using-funambol

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

I only need to now use the GPS / Maps and I am all set. By the way, which maps work best with this? Google maps? Waze?

Thanks guys.
Google Maps is your best bet. Very fast gps lock and map (tiles) download and accurate directions.

Waze is usually a hit-or-miss affair for me and the map downloads are very slow compared to Google Maps. But the voice guided driving navigation directions in Waze are pretty cool.

Last edited by Neilguy : 15th March 2011 at 13:02.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:44   #3220
BHPian

Hi. Needed your recommendation on which provider gives the best BB plan for people who are not corporate users. The reason I am asking is that I gifted a BB to my wife and she needs a basic plan which can access internet, mails and stuff like messenger.

I have seen plans earlier for Rs.249 etc which is only emails and messenger. But now I hear Aircel, Docomo etc have plans for around Rs.449 (or lower) wherein one can also access the internet.

Which of these are good? Is there a catch in such plans? I am currently on BB 899 plan with vodafone and dont have to worry about how much MB i downloaded etc. My worry is that these plans (like Docomo, Aircel) might end up making money by shocking us with a large bill at the end of a month claiming data charges!

So, which provider / plan is best for casual BB users who want mails, messenger, internet and a few apps like google maps etc. What kind of money does one need to shell out monthly and what are the catches to look out for in these plans.
Old 15th March 2011, 17:43   #3221
BHPian

Nishan,
9300 curve 3G is a great phone & value for money,personally i feel no blackberry has a better keypad than the 9300,there is nothing called as online purchase yet,best is ebay or a indiviual selling better rating,
warranty in such cases are very difficult as you dont the seller directly,i have seen a lot of my customers face this problem when they bought it online,
9300 3g is priced @ 15000 inclusive of all taxes with 18 month warranty,
if it is a blackberry official store there cannot be a difference of 2k,
pm me if you want more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Guys,
Great thread to read. It quite exhaustive and informative.
I am planning to buy a BB 9300. Is it advisable to buy from a website if they offer good deals(2k difference) or stores are preferred ?
I am just worried about the warranty claims handling if I buy from website.
Also, how easy it is to upgrade to OS 6.0? any information available on that ?

Cheers,
Nishan
Old 16th March 2011, 03:55   #3222
BHPian

Guys . .i have been using the iphone, but now trying to switch to Blackberry. I am getting a deal on Blackberry bold 9700 unlocked from Orange network. Kindly let me know if unlocked Blackberry will have the Blackberry service working without any prob? can i go ahead and make the purchase?
Old 16th March 2011, 10:37   #3223
Senior - BHPian

victor; I am the the same dilemma about BB operators. Voda too have the 249 plan but you dnt get Internet .

Docomo says unlimietd of its Free Domestic Data usage (in KB) for 399plan. What does this mean?
Old 16th March 2011, 11:11   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
Hi. Needed your recommendation on which provider gives the best BB plan for people who are not corporate users. The reason I am asking is that I gifted a BB to my wife and she needs a basic plan which can access internet, mails and stuff like messenger.

I have seen plans earlier for Rs.249 etc which is only emails and messenger. But now I hear Aircel, Docomo etc have plans for around Rs.449 (or lower) wherein one can also access the internet.
I got a bb9500 for my wife too. I converted her airtel postpaid to prepaid in order to avail the 399 BIS prosumer plan. There is absolutely no catch. Unlimited email, internet, chat, etc for 30 days. Haven't tried tethering since she already has a Photon+ connection. Hope that helps. AFAIK even Docomo has the same plan.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:15   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
victor; I am the the same dilemma about BB operators. Voda too have the 249 plan but you dnt get Internet .

Docomo says unlimietd of its Free Domestic Data usage (in KB) for 399plan. What does this mean?
The details are here
I think domestic in this context means the unlimited BB services are not applicable on international roaming. At least that's what is there on the T&C.
None of the BB plans charge extra for in-country roaming especially on 2G.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks