Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 15:31   #3436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Thanks for the replies guys. The BB Torch (9800) is surely one attractive phone and is in a way competitor to IPhone considering it has a touchscreen as well as a keypad ( rare combination, imo)

The prices for BB warranty vary between Rs.28,990 ( Reliance Digital) to Rs.27,000 ( authorized store) to Rs.23,000 for grey market ( dealer warranty)

The only newer BB model that I think is coming around the corner is Bold 4 and should be priced around 32K ( same price as Torch when it was released in Aug-2010)

I have already used a Bold (9000) in the past and currently use a Curve ( 8520) from past one year. Bold was an awesome phone except for the trackball issue. I still have it with me and dont use it because of its unreliable trackball. Otherwise, its got the best keypad ever in a BB phone.

Still in double mind on BB Torch
Old 20th June 2011, 15:35   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Dont you want to try the 9900 Touch, the successor to the Storm ? I read some rave reviews on the same. Am just waiting for it to get officially launched along with the other models that have been lined up.
Old 20th June 2011, 15:58   #3438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Dont you want to try the 9900 Touch, the successor to the Storm ? I read some rave reviews on the same. Am just waiting for it to get officially launched along with the other models that have been lined up.
Correct me if I am wrong. What your referring to is Bold 4 that I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:19   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Presently am using the BB Storm 2 (9520). Ofcourse this is a good phone but for me the Touchscreen typing is the problem. I mainly use this device for email purpose and sometime I need to type a long message which gives headache because of its non-friendly touchscreen. (I dont know how about the screen of 9800 or 9900??)

Due to this reason, am now planning to go for Bold 3 (9780) and with Qwerty keyboard of 9780, I hope typing msges fast will not be a problem.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:37   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has news on upcoming BB handset releases planned for India, along with indicative prices?

In the full QWERTY range, as of now, the entry level is 8520 at 9.5k and then 9300 at 14k. Nothing in between and then nothing till 20k.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:50   #3441
BHPian

Can we have a teambhp group over blackberry? what say guys?
Old 20th June 2011, 16:57   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Anyone has news on upcoming BB handset releases planned for India, along with indicative prices?
In the same thread, a few pages back, i remember seeing some new models that were to launch in 2011. Have a look. Some lovely models there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
There was a TBHP group on BB. Somehow it was discontinued.
Now, we Pune members have started a BB group. Of course, its not only for Pune members. If you want to join, PM me your Pin and Ill add you .
Old 21st June 2011, 09:25   #3443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msupercool View Post
Hyderabad Members too have a BB group.

Speaking from experience, we add other members we know from forum but, usually dont talk on BBM for months together and probably never ping each other, as that medium is good only if your friends with that person.

Hence, I wouldn't add someone on my BBM unless I know that person "personally"
Old 21st June 2011, 10:10   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
In the same thread, a few pages back, i remember seeing some new models that were to launch in 2011. Have a look. Some lovely models there!
Cant find out that post. Can someone please point it out?
Old 21st June 2011, 11:24   #3445
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The prices for BB warranty vary between Rs.28,990 ( Reliance Digital) to Rs.27,000 ( authorized store) to Rs.23,000 for grey market ( dealer warranty)
The dealer one may be an unlocked unit, which means it will not be able to provide BB services. Also, now MEID registration is becoming mandatory. One you have that then approach a WW with identity proof, MEID number and ask them to port. Once done, you will port with either *228001 (Sprint original) or *228 (Verizon sourced).

Redington are the official BB agents, so they should be able to provide genuine stuff with warranty.

I bought an 8330 last year (unlocked) and it worked very nicely. Then when the MEID-AKey stuff came in, I got in touch with the vendor who got the MIEID registration done and got the AKey. Now we had to go from ESN to MEID which required some 'lock' level changes. He tried for three days over the net, and finally I had to mail the unit back to him. Somehow, I had a feeling that something may go haywire, and bought an Epic 4G in the meanwhile. When the 8330 came back I got it sold to another person through my mobile dealer.

Now I am getting an Incredible 2 in the next two weeks, unlocked for both Reliance (MEID registered), and GSM. Let me see.

Incidentally, my daughter's father-in-law had an official BB. It packed up, Reliance took it under warranty and did nothing for over a month. Finally, she served them with a Legal notice, and it was replaced the very next day. This too has since packed up, so now they have bought a Samsung Galaxy Pop CDMA, an OMH handset, and are very happy with it. All this in a Metro - Kolkata, and not a mofussil town! So the worth of a warranty is a big ?? For unlocked handsets (incl BB) take a look at rimweb.in. Most (not all) of the vendors are good. You can PM me to check, I may be able to give some views on a particular chap.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 11:33   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Cant find out that post. Can someone please point it out?

Here it is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...india-208.html

Post #3117.
BTW, dude, it was your own post .
Hope that helps.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:16   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Here it is:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...india-208.html

Post #3117.
BTW, dude, it was your own post .
Hope that helps.
ROTFLMAO. I had a *faint* feeling that it was my post only!
Old 21st June 2011, 12:43   #3448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. What your referring to is Bold 4 that I mentioned in my previous post.
Well, the one I am referring to is the successor to the Storm 2 which is code-named BB Touch/Monaco/Monza. Not sure if we are referring to the same model though.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:29   #3449
BHPian

StrangeWizard has a Strange Problem!

My BB Curve 8520 was exposed to water today morning. Some water seeped in through the keypad and some went inside from the back.
Now the problem is that I can scroll using my trackpad but can't click anywhere. Also the keypad is acting funny. More than half of the buttons type the wrong alphabet and automatically sends the message to the other person.
Even when the phone is idle, random numbers/alphabets get typed on its own!
So now I'm not able to read any messages and answer any calls.
Please help me as to what should I do. I'll be using the phone for about a couple of months more.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:06   #3450
BANNED

Re: StrangeWizard has a Strange Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My BB Curve 8520 was exposed to water today morning. Some water seeped in through the keypad and some went inside from the back....................
So now I'm not able to read any messages and answer any calls.
Please help me as to what should I do. I'll be using the phone for about a couple of months more.
First of all switch off, remove the battery, and then allow the phone to dry out. Shake out any water and put it in the sun for a couple of hours. God willing when you reinsert the battery it may come back!

Phones are pretty rugged, saw someone put a Defy into a tray of water, and it survived. My brother-in-law had a gen 1 LG CDMA (the one RCOM used to supply as part of the DAPO) for many years. Twice his son threw it into the water bucket used for wiping the floor. Both times it came back after a wash (the water was filthy) and dry treatment.

Most Viewed