Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 13:18   #3496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Any news on when the 9900 is being launched?
Old 28th June 2011, 04:15   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The problem could be that GMail need to be set for IMAP!
A blackberry will not have your synced sent items folder from gmail even with IMAP setup.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:09   #3498
Senior - BHPian

After lot of thinking and scouting the market, finally booked Blackberry 9780 through ebay.in. The net price, after member discounts etc, comes to Rs.20,330. The seller confirmed that phone comes with 18 months manufacturer (Redington) Warranty and also without any logo of T-mobile or AT&T.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:31   #3499
Senior - BHPian

I bought BlackBerry Curve yesterday with Airtel pre-paid connection. Please tell me is there any way with which I can access Wi-Fi from my phone without getting any data plan from Airtel. My brother has BlackBerry Bold and he can access Wi-Fi but he has data plan enabled. Si I guess BB doesn't allow even Wi-Fi access without taking their data plan. I guess there must be some cheat code etc. to enable this function. Please help.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:36   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I bought BlackBerry Curve yesterday with Airtel pre-paid connection. Please tell me is there any way with which I can access Wi-Fi from my phone without getting any data plan from Airtel. My brother has BlackBerry Bold and he can access Wi-Fi but he has data plan enabled. Si I guess BB doesn't allow even Wi-Fi access without taking their data plan. I guess there must be some cheat code etc. to enable this function. Please help.

Firstly, does your Curve support Wi-fi? AFAIK, only the new 3g enabled Curve supports Wifi.
If it does, all you need to do is, configure the wifi in your phone. Whenever you are in that wifi zone, activate it on your phone and start browsing. This wont affect your data plan (You wont get charged).
No cheat codes are required .
Old 30th June 2011, 13:06   #3501
Senior - BHPian

After some hit and trial method I got Wi-fi working on my BlackBerry without any data plan enabled. I know Wi-Fi works but it was with data plan only on by brother's BB Bold 9000.

So you have to follow these simple steps to get Wi-Fi working on your BlackBerry.

1. First just get connected to a Wi-Fi connection by opening ‘Manage connections’ -> ‘Set up Wi-Fi’.

2. Go to Mobile network options in manage connections menu and make sure data services are on.

3. Go to options -> then advance options - >then browser - >open it to see that the default browser configuration should be selected to “hotspot browser”.
4. Open your BlackBerry browser (not the WAP browser) -> go to options ->browser configurations ->again make sure that browser is selected as “hotspot browser”

5. Again go to options -? Then general properties and then again make sure that default browser is “hotspot browser”.

6. Enable your Wi-Fi -> open your browser and you are good to go.

DISCLAIMER – This method worked perfectly for my phone but don’t blame me if it still doesn’t work. Best of luck.
Old 30th June 2011, 14:23   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Firstly, does your Curve support Wi-fi? AFAIK, only the new 3g enabled Curve supports Wifi.
If it does, all you need to do is, configure the wifi in your phone. Whenever you are in that wifi zone, activate it on your phone and start browsing. This wont affect your data plan (You wont get charged).
No cheat codes are required .
The curve 8520 supports WiFi. You can find it under "Manage Connections."
Old 1st July 2011, 17:48   #3503
BHPian

Anyone using 3G on BB? Please share your feedback here.

Edit - I am on BES, can anyone let me know how to set my browser to use wifi all the time on OS6

Last edited by quadra : 1st July 2011 at 17:55.
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:55   #3504
BHPian

hello all

I have finally purchased the Curve 9300 now issue is how should i transfer my 800 contacts from my Galaxy 3 running on andriod 2.2 onto the BB ?
Sim copy is bad option as it will take loads of time and also end up loosing some contacs which i dont want to .

Please can someone tell me how to transfer the contacts ?
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:07   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
hello all

I have finally purchased the Curve 9300 now issue is how should i transfer my 800 contacts from my Galaxy 3 running on andriod 2.2 onto the BB ?
Sim copy is bad option as it will take loads of time and also end up loosing some contacs which i dont want to .

Please can someone tell me how to transfer the contacts ?
Being on android your contacts would be in sync with your google account. Just goto Gmail, select contacts and export them by selecting all. Export as Outlook format CSV file. Now import that CSV file in outlook contacts. As soon as you connect your blackberry with desktop manager, you can sync your blackberry with outlook and get all contacts in BB.

Second method: Just configure your blackberry for google account and select option to sync contacts, all your accounts would come to your BB and automatically would keep on syncing whenever you add/remove from device. But this would work only on 899 plan.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:19   #3506
BHPian

the first option seems to be good

but can you help me as to how to sync my contacts with Gmail ?

is there any way of direct transfer via memory card possible?
cause my galaxy has feature of importing all the contacts on memory card but will BB read the same data?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 3rd July 2011 at 00:27.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:41   #3507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
the first option seems to be good

but can you help me as to how to sync my contacts with Gmail ?

is there any way of direct transfer via memory card possible?
cause my galaxy has feature of importing all the contacts on memory card but will BB read the same data?
In your contacts menu, you need to check if the contacts default saving location is google or phone. If its google, then your contacts would be present in your gmail account. Else, you can export all contacts on memory card, they would be imported as vcards. Import the vcards (in bulk) into outlook and then you can sync with blackberry !

Any issues we can discuss tomorrow morning.
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:26   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Any news on when the 9900 is being launched?

Should be available by August or later this month!
Will be priced at 30k IMHO!

Cheers!
Old 4th July 2011, 00:31   #3509
Senior - BHPian

I've been on Vodafone Prepaid's Full Service Blackberry Plan since October 2010 in Delhi Circle and lately I've noticed that Browsing is far too slow on EDGE. The situation is the same when checked in different areas of the city. I also checked how well my VF Postpaid fared on Nokia E71 and it yielded the same disappointing results.

Further, BBM's and Whatsapp messages take a lot of time. I remember when VF launched 3G, Google Maps on BB simply won't work on 3G and I had to manually select 2G Network to run it. Post-3G, Mobile Networks especially of Vodafone and Airtel have been a Circus show.

I would appreciate if fellow BB on Vodafone (Delhi NCR Circle) users share their feedback on the same. Vodafone's problems have made a mockery of BB Services and there is no point of even calling their Prepaid Customer Care, the worst CC Executives and no match to their Postpaid counterparts.

Last edited by tsk13 : 4th July 2011 at 00:34.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:59   #3510
BANNED

Hi guys i need your help in deciding.

I am currently using a Xperia X10 and I am fully satisfied with it. But i need to buy a BB just because all my friends are on BBs and constantly telling me to shift so that i can use BBM.

I have shortlisted the Bold 9780 and the torch. I do some browsing on the phone also so i think the torch is better suited for me. But i have 4 close friends who are using torch and 2 out of them have developed touchscreen problems and have been repaired/replaced under warranty. So basically i do not want a phone with niggles.

Some questions now.

1. Will i have problems in shifting from android to a non touch BB like the Bold 3?
2. What browsing speed do you get on the BB internet service (ie. the one w/o 3G) ?
3. Any other reported issues with the Bold 9780?
4. Best price for the Bold 3?

PS - I cannot wait for new BB phones like the 9900 as they will take time to come and will also be pricey.

Most Viewed