Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 10:37   #3556
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Read some good news, India might be one of the first to get the new Bold 9900. Possibly by this month end itself.
Sahil, did you get the 9900? Any reviews? Dealer in my place quoting 70,000 for it
Old 25th July 2011, 10:41   #3557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
You can use any old sim that you want in your BlackBerry. You can surely use the voice and sms services without a problem.

If you do not want to use data services, make sure you switch it off in Options. Here's a tip how to do that:

Turn off data service
  • Depending on your wireless service plan, you might be able to turn off data service (email, PIN and MMS messages, and browser service) on your BlackBerry® device so that only phone and SMS text messaging services are available.
  • In the device options, click Mobile Network.
  • Perform one of the following actions:
    To turn off data service, change the Data Services field to Off.
    To turn off data service when roaming, change the Data Services field to Off When Roaming.
  • Press the Menu key.
  • Click Save.
NielGuy - I get the message "Invalid Sim" !!
It works perfectly fine if I connect my original SIM with BB data plan from Airtel in the old handset
Old 25th July 2011, 11:30   #3558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Sahil, did you get the 9900? Any reviews? Dealer in my place quoting 70,000 for it
I highly doubt any dealer has it. The phone has not been released anywhere.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:10   #3559
BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt any dealer has it. The phone has not been released anywhere.
Well, its available here in mangalore. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-blackberry-9900.jpg  

Old 25th July 2011, 12:13   #3560
Distinguished - BHPian

oh damn ! that means the phone's have been leaked out of the reddington distributors warehouses. RIM has not yet released the phone for sure, anywhere!
Old 25th July 2011, 12:18   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, its available here in mangalore. Here's a picture.
Quote:
oh damn ! that means the phone's have been leaked out of the reddington distributors warehouses. RIM has not yet released the phone for sure, anywhere!
I spoke to my regular Mobile guy and he too told me some dealers he knows have got access to some stock of BB 9900 and this material has come in from Middle East / HK.

I don't really take his word as a final thing but he sure knows what he is talking about. He is ringing me back asap with the Price offer.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:40   #3562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPSLogger II (available in the app world) is an excellent tool to record gps tracks.
Hi,

I am using Curve 8900 on Reliance GSM with `Lite' plan for push mail.
Can I use GPS tracker apps in Reliance GSM network? What is the data plan required, if possible?

As per Reliance and Aircel customer care, Blackberry GPS will not work in India!! Is it true?

Thanks,
Old 25th July 2011, 15:06   #3563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
It works perfectly fine if I connect my original SIM with BB data plan from Airtel in the old handset
Your BB handset might be locked to Airtel. Is the new sim card from Airtel too? Check your unlock status with the below tip:

1. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card (OS 6:Type Sim Card and select the item from within Options)

2. Press keys M E P D (not case sensitive)

NOTE about SureType keyboards: You will have to "double-tap" the P, so you are actually entering M E P P D

3. The Network field should say DISABLED. If it says ACTIVE it is still locked.

An Invalid SIM error is often an indicator of a locked phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am using Curve 8900 on Reliance GSM with `Lite' plan for push mail.
Can I use GPS tracker apps in Reliance GSM network? What is the data plan required, if possible?
GPSLogger II does not use any data, it only uses gps coordinates acquired from the phone and logs it. This data can later be viewed in external mapping programs to view your tracks, speed and other statistics.

Quote:
As per Reliance and Aircel customer care, Blackberry GPS will not work in India!! Is it true?
BlackBerry Maps application does not work in India as BB doesn't have map data for India, but GPS surely works. But you could use an external mapping application like Google maps for BB. If your phone does not have GPS, Google Maps uses approximate aGPS using cell tower triangulation.

Also, Google Maps (or any other data requiring application) will NOT work with 'Lite' plan. You will need the full BB plan to use data with external applications.

Last edited by Neilguy : 25th July 2011 at 15:17.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 16:01   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your BB handset might be locked to Airtel. Is the new sim card from Airtel too? Check your unlock status with the below tip:

Thanks for the info. I am going for Rs. 599 data plan on a trial basis and planning to download Google maps/Latitude. Can I use GPSLogger II with this plan?

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th July 2011 at 16:30. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 25th July 2011, 16:27   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am going for Rs. 599 data plan on a trial basis and planning to download Google maps/Latitude. Can I use GPSLogger II with this plan?
GPSlogger is a standalone application and does not use any data, so Yes, you can use it with (or without) any data plan on BB.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:57   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

@ LonelyPlanet - Had the exact same issue, called-up Airtel Customer Care and got the unlock code (in roughly 30+ days) and set my BB free (How much of time and effort i spent on this with Airtel Customer Care is anybody's guess).

Airtel Broadband Support # 9845907070

Your phone unlock procedure will depend on your handset model. A google for it will guide you.

All the Best!
Steve_Austin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:57   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPSlogger is a standalone application and does not use any data, so Yes, you can use it with (or without) any data plan on BB.
Thanks, I downloaded GPSLogger and is working fine.
Old 26th July 2011, 07:24   #3568
BHPian

Quote:
In India the release could happen thru a soft launch on August 15th and a commercial availibility could take place sometime around September 15th, as BB India is awaiting the inauguration of the First BB Experience Zone of India. as regards price its the simple economics of demand v/s supply. the UK release versions scheduled for August 12th could cost about 48-50 ex Bombay on account of Shipping + Customs. 70K is a good Price if you want it badly and flaunt it as a status symbol as a week ago the price was 80K and on June 29th about 7 units got sold for 1.25 lakhs.

Quote:
The Phone is Not Leaked by redington Distributors warehouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I spoke to my regular Mobile guy and he too told me some dealers he knows have got access to some stock of BB 9900 and this material has come in from Middle East / HK.

I don't really take his word as a final thing but he sure knows what he is talking about. He is ringing me back asap with the Price offer.
The Units that are coming in are not from UAE/HK. the AT&T ones that have come in some could be unlocked and some ahd to be trashed. also the PIN and IMEI of these Handsets got blocked by RIM as a result of which BBM and BIS/BES get suspended permanently.

same is the case with the handsets coming in from the Vietnam route. within 15 minutes of 'Registering on the Network' and activation of BIS/BES and usage of BBM you get a call from the BB engineering services Department in Vietnam politely telling you that they do not want to know the source from where you got the handset, but that till BIS/BBM is available to enjoy it. after that in about an hour all services are blocked by RIM at their end, as the PIN/ESN Number is marked as bad. and then all you can do is Flaunt the handset as a mere calling phone.

as regards India pricing it could be in the range of 30990-32990/- the 9900 will be released first, followed by Torch 9810 in october, 9860 Monaco (Full Touch) sometime around November.

this handset that is shown in the above pics is sourced from Canada and is running version 7.0.0.261 Bundle 1346 and trust me the key Pitch is so good that you just feel like going on and on with the Phone. definitely the Best BB after Bold 9000!

finally here are a few pics in my hand
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-bb.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-bb2.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-bb3.jpg  

Last edited by Sunilrj : 26th July 2011 at 07:50. Reason: Additional Info
Old 26th July 2011, 08:12   #3569
BHPian

Some More Classic Ad-Quality Pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2011072000013.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2011072000014.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2011072000018.jpg  

Old 26th July 2011, 11:23   #3570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post
@ LonelyPlanet - Had the exact same issue, called-up Airtel Customer Care and got the unlock code (in roughly 30+ days) and set my BB free (How much of time and effort i spent on this with Airtel Customer Care is anybody's guess).

Airtel Broadband Support # 9845907070

Your phone unlock procedure will depend on your handset model. A google for it will guide you.

All the Best!
Thanks Steve
I logged a case with Airtel and they have given me an SLA of 3 days. Lets see when I get my unlock code !!

Most Viewed