Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 16:51   #3781
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Congrats Mate!!

You've got to wait till almost middle of next year to get your mails direct to your PlayBook!!
Pair it with one's existing BlackBerry device or, install the OS 2.0 Developer Beta version and enjoy most of that functionality right now.
BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 developer beta updated to v2.0.0.4869 | CrackBerry.com
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 18:30   #3782
Senior - BHPian

My 2 year old 8520 conked off this morning. The letters T and a few other keys stppped functioning. It had taken quite a beating.

So went to the local mobile shop and asked him what was the best handset and he honestly replied - take a pick out of 3 - curve 3g 9300, bold 3, curve 9360.

I picked up the curve 3g for 13,900. 3900 for the old handset taken off. Paid 10,000.

It has the BB os 6.0 by default. Its been over a day and still shows 55% battery.

Its a great handset. The whole phone is quite fast.

All previous data was transferred and took 15 minutes.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:46   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Any idea where can I get the BB 9790 from? Everyone I know has asked me to stay away from 9900 due to battery issues would it be the same in case of the 9790?

Also how would I shift all my BBM contacts? Any idea on that?

Regards,
Old 26th November 2011, 14:17   #3784
BHPian

I have Blackberry Curve 8520. Please help me out with one thing that whenever I switch off the data services I am not able to access the net even though I am connected to Wifi and when I switch on the Wifi I am able to access the net. Also the net speed is terribly slow and sometimes an error message comes " unable to connect to internet. Please try again later" while doing net surfing on Wifi. I have Airtel broadband. Whenever I download Opera mini or any other application via Wifi an error message appears and downloading fails. I dont have any data plan activated on my BSNL SIM. Please tell me the problem.
Old 26th November 2011, 15:18   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Any idea where can I get the BB 9790 from? Everyone I know has asked me to stay away from 9900 due to battery issues would it be the same in case of the 9790?

Regards,
From what I have read in othe website blogs, the 9790 is released on 1st December, mrp Rs.27,490
Blackberry Bold 9790, Curve 9380 and Curve 9350 CDMA Launched in India

As for battery, it is too early to say, the OS and battery are the same as the 9900.

For transferring contacts, BB Desktop Manager should have a back up feature. Plug in the new handset and restore to transfer over.

If you end up buying it, do post a review as even I am considering getting this or a 9900?
Old 26th November 2011, 21:09   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Regards,
If you have a BB plan, BlackBerry Protect app is the best way to wirelessly backup, restore and recover your contacts, calendar, memos, tasks, browser bookmarks, and text messages.
Free BlackBerry Protect - Download BlackBerry Protect - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

If you want to do it offline (using your computer), the BB Desktop Manager will help you out.
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:59   #3787
BHPian

Folks, any app available to do voice calls to toll free numbers via BB OS6 on Curve9300.

skype doesnt work on bb STILL :(
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:14   #3788
BHPian

Upgraded my 9700 software to 6.0.0.546 around a month back, downloaded all the usual software I use after that. I use google maps a lot while traveling, and on a recent trip to goa tried using it, but found that it was tracking me to the nearest 500 meters only, it used to track me down to the nearest 3 metes earlier in mangalore and manipal. I thought that it was maybe because the number of cellphone towers in goa is lesser. But now I'm in bangalore and I'm facing the same issue. Is it a problem with the new phone software I installed. Or is it a problem with google maps. Anyone else facing such issues?
Old 4th December 2011, 01:31   #3789
Senior - BHPian

I have a BB 8900. It has GPS but no maps. Any idea what kind of maps can I use with it with the maps saved in cache and not downloaded every time over the network? Also can all phones update software to OS6?
Old 4th December 2011, 17:15   #3790
Distinguished - BHPian

Any news of the 9900 WHITE launch date in India?
Old 5th December 2011, 19:13   #3791
BHPian

Re: White 9900
I asked a dealer on Friday and he said as early as next week (i.e. This week), but definitely in Dec.
The dealer is an authorised BB dealer and I have found him to always know what he is talking about.
Old 6th December 2011, 01:44   #3792
BHPian

I have two phones, BB torch and nexus Prime, both are on Vodafone SIM. I have experienced that Vodafone mobile connect is way faster than BIS plan. It takes me ages to open a webpage on BIS whereas same gets open on VMC in relatively lesser time. On few occasions BIS shows error message that internet service not available where as at the same moment VMC works completely fine.

So is anyone else facing issue while browsing the internet on BIS-Vodafone.

Ravi
Old 6th December 2011, 19:09   #3793
BHPian

Houston, we have a problem.

My usage
I am on BES and use it extensively for exchange e-mails & calendar.
I totally rely on outlook calendar to remind me of my daily meetings. I also use BES to reply to e-mails before i reach office and after i am home, till i am asleep

Problem
My office has decided to say bye-bye to BES :( so i have to switch to MS active sync

Options i could think of
1. Keep the BB, use offline sync for calendar. I would miss e-mails though.
+Ve > Daily sync of above items will ensure i am reminded of my meetings.
- Ve > I have to go back to the laptop for replying to e-mails
- Ve > Daily sync can become a pain sooner or later

2. Buy an android device (not an apple fan), use activesync to sync outlook (e-mails & calendar)
+ve > Great UI with umpteen options to kill time
+ve > Will get all outlook features on my phone.
-ve > Android UI is not impressive when handling Exchange e-mails & calendar. Those options are mind-blowing in BB.

So here i am with my sob story. Any sane / insane opinions are welcome.
Old 6th December 2011, 19:34   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Houston, we have a problem.

My usage
I am on BES and use it extensively for exchange e-mails & calendar.
So here i am with my sob story. Any sane / insane opinions are welcome.
Hey Quadra,

By BES, you mean your organization has BB infrastructure to push/sync your mail box and BB, right? I'm not an expert at this, but I have used my privately purchased Blackberry to get my office mails pushed/sync'd. The office mail server runs Exchange and desktop client is Outlook. Even meetings get sync'd with the Outlook calendar.

All I did was subscribed to the BB plan with my mobile service provider and 'added' my work e-mail account to the Blackberry. You can add any e-mail account, be it GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail or blah and even your corporate e-mail account. Won't that work for you?

EDIT: You can add your corporate e-mail address by selecting the 'Outlook Web App' option while adding the account. You don't need BES.

PS: Some organizations block BB access and you are given permission only if you fall under some category.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 6th December 2011 at 19:37. Reason: Research
Old 8th December 2011, 00:18   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Hey Quadra,

By BES, you mean your organization has BB infrastructure to push/sync your mail box and BB, right? I'm not an expert at this, but I have used my privately purchased Blackberry to get my office mails pushed/sync'd. The office mail server runs Exchange and desktop client is Outlook. Even meetings get sync'd with the Outlook calendar.

All I did was subscribed to the BB plan with my mobile service provider and 'added' my work e-mail account to the Blackberry. You can add any e-mail account, be it GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail or blah and even your corporate e-mail account. Won't that work for you?

EDIT: You can add your corporate e-mail address by selecting the 'Outlook Web App' option while adding the account. You don't need BES.

PS: Some organizations block BB access and you are given permission only if you fall under some category.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Yes BES means you can access your office e-mails, calendar on your BB. Unfortunately, my company doesn't allow use of outlook web app as well so all doors to BB are closed :(

Any advice, anyone.

Most Viewed