Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 08:05   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Houston, we have a problem.

My usage
I am on BES and use it extensively for exchange e-mails & calendar.
I totally rely on outlook calendar to remind me of my daily meetings. I also use BES to reply to e-mails before i reach office and after i am home, till i am asleep

Problem
My office has decided to say bye-bye to BES :( so i have to switch to MS active sync
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Yes BES means you can access your office e-mails, calendar on your BB. Unfortunately, my company doesn't allow use of outlook web app as well so all doors to BB are closed :(

Any advice, anyone.
AFAIK, Exchange activesync means OWA would be enabled.

android phones will connect the exact same way that BIS will pull it off your servers in my understanding. try it 1st, no?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:57   #3797
BHPian

The new Windows phone software is pretty cool an definatley worth a try.
a) Especially their obvious love for anything Email over active sync.
b) The hardware from Samsung (omnia 7 I believe) is nice and Nokia is about to launch the 2 Win phone models Lumia 800.

If its email + calendar integration I was looking out for, that would be my buy.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:43   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Guys, as i need to upgrade the bb jz want to know which one is a better buy between-torch9810, torch 3, bold4.
Mention the reasons as well.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:18   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Guys, as i need to upgrade the bb jz want to know which one is a better buy between-torch9810, torch 3, bold4.
Mention the reasons as well.
I have a bold 4 and think its the best of both worlds - touch & type. It has an awesome keyboard with the largest keys I have experienced on a BB. Touch is nice and becomes second nature in a few days. Much better browser than all other, older BBs. Fast processor. Slim design. The drawback is the battery, which with screen brightness reduced, gives me 24 hours use on a 3G network. On Edge+WiFi it gives me 36-48 hours.

The 9810 in my view has smaller keys and if you type a lot then it feels a little top heavy with the screen slid up.

The all-touch Torch, in my opinion defeats the purpose of a BB, which is a physical keyboard. As far as all-touch devices are concerned, I think Android phones and the iPhone are much better.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 14:41   #3800
BHPian

Ordered BB Bold 9900 through COD a couple of days back though haven't received the shipping details. Now heard the news of the white one being launched in December (with autofocus)

Should I cancel my order and wait for the white one?? Or just go ahead with the order?? Any suggestions
Old 8th December 2011, 15:57   #3801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Ordered BB Bold 9900 through COD a couple of days back though haven't received the shipping details. Now heard the news of the white one being launched in December (with autofocus)

Should I cancel my order and wait for the white one?? Or just go ahead with the order?? Any suggestions
I personally prefer the black and steel look. In white the phone looks less classy and cheaper. And as far as I can tell the camera is exactly the same. I wouldn't change the decision.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:01   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I have a bold 4 and think its the best of both worlds - touch & type. It has an awesome keyboard with the largest keys I have experienced on a BB. Touch is nice and becomes second nature in a few days. Much better browser than all other, older BBs. Fast processor. Slim design. The drawback is the battery, which with screen brightness reduced, gives me 24 hours use on a 3G network. On Edge+WiFi it gives me 36-48 hours.

The 9810 in my view has smaller keys and if you type a lot then it feels a little top heavy with the screen slid up.

The all-touch Torch, in my opinion defeats the purpose of a BB, which is a physical keyboard. As far as all-touch devices are concerned, I think Android phones and the iPhone are much better.
Thanks for the input. I liked the bold 4 but am inclined towards 9810 because of the bigger screen. And have read that battery life is also better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post

AS you mentioned cod it means it was online purchase.Could you kindly mention the site and theprice you got it for?
Old 8th December 2011, 16:30   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I liked the bold 4 but am inclined towards 9810 because of the bigger screen. And have read that battery life is also better.
I would say check both and buy the one that feels better in your hands. The 9900 screen is very sharp and quite adequate for videos and browsing. As far as battery goes, the 9810 has a marginally higher capacity battery and that advantage will be negated by the demands of a larger screen.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:20   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The purpose(s) of the BB was/is it's push mail technology and the QWERTY keyboard which are still retained in all of its devices.

As for the 9860, I think it has the best keyboard of any BB device in the market right now. The screen sensitivity is just right and the input is very fast, in fact so much so that I am able to type faster on it than on my Macbookpro. Having just retired my nearly 5-6 year old workhorse the 8700, this is the one device on which my thumbs do not foul up and the typing is intuitive.

Apart from the above the display is sharp and the 'pinch & zoom/reduce' features make reading, browsing etc. a breeze. Have downloaded tons of apps and the device runs fine unlike it's contemporaries which have complaints of hanging etc. Simply love the device.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:25   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Just got the 9790 and for those looking for a nice compact qwerty BB can look at this, as of now the only problem I'm facing is the lock button feels a little harder to reach compared to my previous 9700 but maybe it's only about getting used to it, and love it's slim profile, had considered 9900 but all friends who use it for some or the other reason said I should not.

Will report about the battery in few days,

Regards,
Old 8th December 2011, 20:17   #3806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The purpose(s) of the BB was/is it's push mail technology and the QWERTY keyboard which are still retained in all of its devices.

Not quite. Those may have been the purposes of BB's in earlier days. Not now. Everyone does push mail and QWERTY keypads. The purpose of a BB today is secure e-mail (my company won't touch anything else) and the physical keypad, which is unparalleled as far as the top BB models are concerned.

As for the 9860, I think it has the best keyboard of any BB device in the market right now. The screen sensitivity is just right and the input is very fast, in fact so much so that I am able to type faster on it than on my Macbookpro. Having just retired my nearly 5-6 year old workhorse the 8700, this is the one device on which my thumbs do not foul up and the typing is intuitive.

Happy for you. For the amount of messaging I do - I still prefer a physical keypad. Flat glass doesn't work for me. Also from the 8700, the 9860 is a huge step up.
And I stand by my comment that for all-touch devices, other brands are a lot better - again IMHO.

Apart from the above the display is sharp and the 'pinch & zoom/reduce' features make reading, browsing etc. a breeze. Have downloaded tons of apps and the device runs fine unlike it's contemporaries which have complaints of hanging etc. Simply love the device.
All the touch BB's do pinch, zoom etc. If by complaints of hanging you are referring to the 9900 - I have not encountered a single issue in a month and a half of use with heavy apps installed. It has the sharpest screen of all BB's at 285 ppi.
Old 8th December 2011, 20:22   #3807
Team-BHP Support

Whoever has the 9900 please upgrade to the latest firmware. The battery life improves by about 20% or so, at least in my case it did.
Old 8th December 2011, 21:06   #3808
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they do but where is the screen acreage that the 9860 has. By complaints of hanging I meant the plethora of BBs that my sales & service teams use which include torches, curves, bolds and a couple of storms. I do not change my devices unless they break down, are lost or returned to company hence once I pick up a device I ensure that it is a dependable model and as far as the touchscreen is concerned the 9860 is easily at par with other top players in the market, my ipad2 included. As a business owner I too have concerns regarding secure platforms for mail services etc and again as far as I know BB's email service has been that way since day 1 so nothing new there too.

Quote:
All the touch BB's do pinch, zoom etc. If by complaints of hanging you are referring to the 9900 - I have not encountered a single issue in a month and a half of use with heavy apps installed. It has the sharpest screen of all BB's at 285 ppi.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:55   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I liked the bold 4 but am inclined towards 9810 because of the bigger screen. And have read that battery life is also better

AS you mentioned cod it means it was online purchase.Could you kindly mention the site and theprice you got it for?
Snapdeal @ 31800. Market rates are around 34000. Though I might cancel the order and buy when I have a look at the white bold as well.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:15   #3810
Distinguished - BHPian

@Harry, if you want to choose between 9810, Torch 3 and 9900. I would recommend the 9810 as its a great phone and with that large screen looks great.

I have a 9800 and works like a charm and battery life is also pretty awesome. Like starscream said, if you slide the screen up, the top is a bit heavy but, nothing to worry. It's big, strong and tough and looks very classy too

Besides, with 9810 you have the OS7 with lovely graphics and more importantly 1GHZ processor ( compared to my 9800)

I would recommend the 9810 and please dont take a white phone as white is meant for girls
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed