Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 10:10   #3961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

My simple understanding is that under heavy or more than regular use, all OS6 devices will last a day and all OS7 devices will last till evening. So it is a trade-off between upgraded specs better OS and Better battery life.

The Bold 9780 is by far the best when it comes to battery life right now.

Oh and a new BB will be launched sometime this month. It will be the replacement for the entry level curve 8520.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:33   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My simple understanding is that under heavy or more than regular use, all OS6 devices will last a day and all OS7 devices will last till evening. So it is a trade-off between upgraded specs better OS and Better battery life.

The Bold 9780 is by far the best when it comes to battery life right now.
That is a very generic and somewhat wrong statement.

I have a Curve 9360 and have recently upgraded to OS 7.1.

My battery life easily lasts for a full day (18-24 hours). My phone is always on and I put it on charge as soon as I wake up (6.30 am). My usage includes 1-2 hour of talk time, 60-75 emails (recd+sent), ~15-20 SMS, Bluetooth for 30-45 mins and some sporadic Twitter/FB activity (but auto refresh for these apps has been switched off).

You need to know what to tweak to improve the battery life. In OS 7 devices for example, I have deleted the Social Feeds app. That consumes a lot of batt. Also, GPS is always on by default. If you are not using it, you should keep it off. Just do these two tweaks and you'll know what I'm saying. And of course, using a screen timeout of 30 secs+holster also helps.

For all BB devices, set your screen brightness to 10. You won't even notice the difference but your battery will!
Old 11th April 2012, 12:32   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Of course it was a general statement for the general understanding of the general customers

But your case is an exception to the number of issues i have witnessed first hand with regards to the OS 7 devices and the number of devices which are being replaced and serviced is just mind boggling.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:08   #3964
Senior - BHPian

For what its worth, my Bold 9900 on Edge, with Bluetooth and wi-fi on 12 hours a day and about an hour of talk time, lasts 20-24 hours (longer than that if wifi and Bluetooth are off). My corporate emails are ticking over throughout the day, Facebook and weather apps are on auto refresh. On 3G, with wifi off and Bluetooth on, the battery lasts half that time with the same usage.

PS - GPS and NFC are off, screen brightness is at 40 and timeout at 20 secs.

Last edited by StarScream : 11th April 2012 at 13:12.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:59   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Saw a board somewhere today that there is a free service camp for Blackberry at Airtel outlets. anyone tried it?
Old 11th April 2012, 16:05   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Of course it was a general statement for the general understanding of the general customers

But your case is an exception to the number of issues i have witnessed first hand with regards to the OS 7 devices and the number of devices which are being replaced and serviced is just mind boggling.
Its an exception purely because I made it to be! If you start using your phone right out of the box without any tweaks, you will fall in the generic category. BB has many battery guzzlers switched on by default and you have to play around to ensure they are aligned to your usage.

FYI - when I got the 9360, I did everything I could and still my batt was running out within 8-10 hours. I was so frustrated that I wanted to sell it off. However, a little bit of research and playing around and I got to discover the 'always on' GPS and 'Social Feeds' app playing the spoil sport.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:52   #3967
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
For all BB devices, set your screen brightness to 10.
I think you meant '0' instead of '10', right?
Old 11th April 2012, 16:54   #3968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I think you meant '0' instead of '10', right?
Of course NOT. How can i be zero? You won't be able to see anything! 10 is the lowest it allows you to go and that's what I meant. Try it and notice the difference in battery life.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:56   #3969
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course NOT. How can i be zero? You won't be able to see anything! 10 is the lowest it allows you to go and that's what I meant. Try it and notice the difference in battery life.
I'm puzzled as there is an option for '0' and I have set my phone to that. Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 11th April 2012, 17:07   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I'm puzzled as there is an option for '0' and I have set my phone to that. Is there anything I'm missing?
Logically, there cannot be an option of Zero for Screen Brightness. And I am pretty sure it is irrespective of the OS. I had done it on my 8520 (OS 5) and now on 9360 (OS 7).

Which handset/OS? Are you sure you are looking at Options->Screen Display->Backlight Brightness?
Old 11th April 2012, 17:12   #3971
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Logically, there cannot be an option of Zero for Screen Brightness. Which handset/OS? Are you sure you are looking at Options->Screen Display->Backlight Brightness?
Mine is a BB Curve 9300 with OS 6. And yes, I am looking at Options>Screen Display>Backlight Brightness which I have set to '0'. I suppose setting this to '0' activates the default option of '10'.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:21   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....However, a little bit of research and playing around and I got to discover the 'always on' GPS and 'Social Feeds' app playing the spoil sport.
Thanks for these pointers!

Apart from these 2 apps, I've read on the net that the Push To Talk feature is also 'always on' by default and needs to be explicitly switched off to conserve the battery. Is that right?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th April 2012, 17:24   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for these pointers!

Apart from these 2 apps, I've read on the net that the Push To Talk feature is also 'always on' by default and needs to be explicitly switched off to conserve the battery. Is that right?

Cheers,
Vikram
Never heard of that. And I don't think you will be able to disable PTT. AFAIK, it is anyway not supported by our mobile networks. I tried searching for it on my handset, but could not even find out. Which I guess means it's an embedded feature and not tweak-able?
Old 11th April 2012, 17:28   #3974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which I guess means it's an embedded feature and not tweak-able?
Probably. Anyway, I'll ask the missus to at least disable the 2 items you've listed in your post first, and then see the difference in the battery consumption.

Quote:
This is also a good starting guide - in case you have not seen it already
Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life! | CrackBerry.com
Thanks! Will go through it tonight. I also found this link: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/ Let's see how useful it is! :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th April 2012 at 17:34.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:31   #3975
Senior - BHPian

This is also a good starting guide - in case you have not seen it already
Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life! | CrackBerry.com

Most Viewed