Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 17:48   #3976
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

With BB not releasing dates as of when they plan to launch BB10 phones, I think a bulk of the users are just going to run away and better get adapted to alternative platforms that aren't going to die soon. errr...Like, myself.
Old 14th April 2012, 14:26   #3977
BHPian

Guys I need some advice, and its quite urgent

Ok basically my whole family (including myself) are Blackberry users and have been so for the last couple of years, mostly cos of requirements to have emails at a microsecond away - and I must say we are all happy. My mum was using the curve 8520, but now needs a new phone. I was thinking of getting her a curve 9380 for ~16k, but saw the much higher spec'd Torch 9860 at ~20.5k. What should I go for?

Yes I know one of the best features of a BB is the fantastic keyboard, but she will not be sending that many long emails from her phone - but rather just requires to be able to read and send quick replies as and when needed. So I dont think the full touch experience is gonna be a hindrance.

Im kinda leaning towards the Torch cos it seems like better VFM, I have handled the curve and honestly it seems a bit cheap and tacky. Any major issues I need to know about the Torch? General user experiences? What do you all say?

Cheers.
Old 14th April 2012, 15:16   #3978
Senior - BHPian

So here is my doubt:
I have now finally made up my mind to go in for the BB. I need an entry level one - with keyboard (already have the defy for touch screen goodness). 8520 or 9300 is the question. Both are SAME, except the 3G. Is 3G service good enough for BB? I'm certainly not kicked about 3G in general but if its not much more expensive I'd be interested in the 3G, though in general I think BIS is quick enough on the 8520 anyways.

Secondly, I've heard about a new OS7 BB launching on the 23rd or so - apparently media people have been sent out invites and all that - its supposed to be a ~13-14k model. Which model is it? Any ideas?

Yes: Nishant, you can give me that SMUG look now
Old 14th April 2012, 18:06   #3979
BHPian

I have not heard about a BB phone at 13k with OS7 being launched. Between 8520 and 9300 I will suggest you the latter one. Apart from 3g it also has gps which is absent in 8520. Also looks wise they are little different. 9300 has chrome all around front bezel while 8520 has all plastic finish. The most important thing is that 9300 is upgradable to OS6 while 8520 cannot be updated to OS6. And 9300 has faster processor. Hope this helps.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:56   #3980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I have not heard about a BB phone at 13k with OS7 being launched. Between 8520 and 9300 I will suggest you the latter one. Apart from 3g it also has gps which is absent in 8520. Also looks wise they are little different. 9300 has chrome all around front bezel while 8520 has all plastic finish. The most important thing is that 9300 is upgradable to OS6 while 8520 cannot be updated to OS6. And 9300 has faster processor. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So here is my doubt:
I have now finally made up my mind to go in for the BB. I need an entry level one - with keyboard (already have the defy for touch screen goodness). 8520 or 9300 is the question. Both are SAME, except the 3G. Is 3G service good enough for BB? I'm certainly not kicked about 3G in general but if its not much more expensive I'd be interested in the 3G, though in general I think BIS is quick enough on the 8520 anyways.
Apart from the things HappyRoadie has mentioned, if your only deciding factor is 3G then in my opinion the 9300 is not worth it. For what BB does, which is mail really well, 3G makes no difference. It will work as well on Edge. In my opinion both phones have too small a screen and of average resolution to make browsing, which is where 3G matters, pleasurable. Also 3G is a battery suck.

To preserve battery on my Bold 9900, I keep 3G off most of the time. Edge and wifi is what I have it on most of the time. And that is exactly how I used my 8520.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:14   #3981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So here is my doubt:

Secondly, I've heard about a new OS7 BB launching on the 23rd or so - apparently media people have been sent out invites and all that - its supposed to be a ~13-14k model. Which model is it? Any ideas?

Yes: Nishant, you can give me that SMUG look now
There is a BB launch on the 18th at New Delhi. The model could be the upgraded version of 8520 or the 9300 or both

9220 or the 9320.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:19   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Its an exception purely because I made it to be! If you start using your phone right out of the box without any tweaks, you will fall in the generic category. BB has many battery guzzlers switched on by default and you have to play around to ensure they are aligned to your usage.

FYI - when I got the 9360, I did everything I could and still my batt was running out within 8-10 hours. I was so frustrated that I wanted to sell it off. However, a little bit of research and playing around and I got to discover the 'always on' GPS and 'Social Feeds' app playing the spoil sport.
er yes nishanth. most users will use the phone as it is out of the box only. which is why comment was directed to them. an experienced user will know how to milk the max out of a phone but we number in the minority when compared to the general users. still have customers who do not even know they can upgraded their OS!

Besides having to compromise on display brightness and feed refresh rates and gps and others somehow beats the point does it not? in a 9780 you can use it as it is out of the box without compromising on any functions and still get more than a day under heavy use.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:20   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
There is a BB launch on the 18th at New Delhi. The model could be the upgraded version of 8520 or the 9300 or both

9220 or the 9320.
yes, that is what i was talking about. confirmed sub 15k launch

I can't wait for chaps to post 1st hand info on it. hopefully its 800 mhz with a decent battery (gimme 1500 mah - please BB!!)
Old 16th April 2012, 13:25   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er yes nishanth. most users will use the phone as it is out of the box only. which is why comment was directed to them. an experienced user will know how to milk the max out of a phone but we number in the minority when compared to the general users. still have customers who do not even know they can upgraded their OS!

Besides having to compromise on display brightness and feed refresh rates and gps and others somehow beats the point does it not? in a 9780 you can use it as it is out of the box without compromising on any functions and still get more than a day under heavy use.
Just a minor clarification here - there is no *compromise* on display brightness. Try setting it at 10 and you wont even feel the difference.

Regarding other tweaks, they are of course subjective to one's usage. I have no use for feeds/Twitter/FB to be constantly pushed to my device. Hence I keep them off. Well what can you do when BB decides to give a measly 1000 mah battery in the 9360? It's a phone running OS 7 (liquid graphics being it's USP) and the least they could have done was to give a 1500 mah battery.

Regarding 9780, you cannot compare that to ANY BB phone. It is a legend in all aspects. And OS 6 is by far the most stable and optimized OS for BB.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:23   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well what can you do when BB decides to give a measly 1000 mah battery in the 9360? It's a phone running OS 7 (liquid graphics being it's USP) and the least they could have done was to give a 1500 mah battery.
Folks,

as I had said - The 9220 is here:
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Curve 9220 Features

YAY

1450 mah battery.

Nishant you can let out your frustration now!!
Old 18th April 2012, 17:30   #3986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

as I had said - The 9220 is here:

YAY

1450 mah battery.

No frustrations mate! I'm happy you found what you were looking for. Given your usage, you will extract 2-3 days and that will be previously unheard of from any BB device! As for me, I have managed to extract 1 full day from 9360, which is a record in itself with my kind of usage! My 8520 with a higher mah battery used to run out by the evening.

Though I'm surprised ho come its 9220 when UK and some other places, they are launching 9320 in May? Are these two different models? Their description sounds same though.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:35   #3987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No frustrations mate! I'm happy you found what you were looking for. Given your usage, you will extract 2-3 days and that will be previously unheard of from any BB device! As for me, I have managed to extract 1 full day from 9360, which is a record in itself with my kind of usage! My 8520 with a higher mah battery used to run out by the evening.

Though I'm surprised ho come its 9220 when UK and some other places, they are launching 9320 in May? Are these two different models? Their description sounds same though.
They are different:
RIM\'s 2012 Roadmap - Gallery
RIM\'s 2012 Roadmap - Gallery
Old 18th April 2012, 17:44   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, as I had said - The 9220 is here:
YAY
1450 mah battery.
phamilyman, I hate you!! Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2740091

Oh well, story of my life, I guess....

Cheers
Vikram
Old 18th April 2012, 17:52   #3989
Senior - BHPian

I am contemplating between the 9380 curve and the bold 9780. I prefer the qwerty keypad 9780 over the 9380 touch screen. Is this a good phone?
Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 17:55   #3990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am contemplating between the 9380 curve and the bold 9780. I prefer the qwerty keypad 9780 over the 9380 touch screen. Is this a good phone?
Thanks
9780 is the best phone BB ever produced. Buy it. Period.

Most Viewed