Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 19:43   #4036
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Has anybody got hold of a BB os 7.1 with wifi hotshot. I currently have a bold 9780 and was ken to change it. Some chap at the store told me that the 7.1 os with wifi hotshot will work only with a bunch 899 plan that allows tethering. I am currently on the 599 plan. So before I take the plunge, if gurus could solve this mystery. I need wifi hotshot feature to run ipad and many such devices.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:19   #4037
Senior - BHPian

I have a BB 8520 and the signal reception sucks. Half the time, the device fails to pick the signal and shows SOS calls only. This happens in open area too .

Anyone else with the same problem? Device is just 5-6 month old!

And the also, the alarm acts weird. It doesn't ring most of the time. I need to reset the device to get it to work.

All in all, a very disappointing experience.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 3rd June 2012 at 23:21.
Old 4th June 2012, 00:07   #4038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12
I have a BB 8520 and the signal reception sucks. Half the time, the device fails to pick the signal and shows SOS calls only. This happens in open area too .

Anyone else with the same problem? Device is just 5-6 month old!

And the also, the alarm acts weird. It doesn't ring most of the time. I need to reset the device to get it to work.

All in all, a very disappointing experience.
Are you on airtel in bangalore? I am facing the same network issues with my 9360 curve so wondering if it's the phone or the network
Old 4th June 2012, 09:20   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
Has anybody got hold of a BB os 7.1 with wifi hotshot. I currently have a bold 9780 and was ken to change it. Some chap at the store told me that the 7.1 os with wifi hotshot will work only with a bunch 899 plan that allows tethering. I am currently on the 599 plan. So before I take the plunge, if gurus could solve this mystery. I need wifi hotshot feature to run ipad and many such devices.
I have been using 7.1 since 2 weeks, i am on the 399 plan, and the wifi hotspot feature works fine for me. When i turn the hotspot on, i get a message from the device saying it may be charged extra. I'm on a postpaid plan and still waiting for the next bill to see if i have been charged. Till then using it sparingly.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:01   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Are you on airtel in bangalore? I am facing the same network issues with my 9360 curve so wondering if it's the phone or the network
Vodafone, Bangalore.

I am pretty sure it is the device problem. My mom and dad too are on vodafone. They never have any issues. Its only me. I don't care if the alarm doesn't work. But the phone not picking signal!

I might as well dump the device somewhere
Old 4th June 2012, 10:11   #4041
Senior - BHPian

Guys whats a good buy for around 20k? need to know urgently as need to buy today itself.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:43   #4042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys whats a good buy for around 20k? need to know urgently as need to buy today itself.
9790 Bold if you like the keyboard and 9380 Curve if you dont mind a full-touch screen. Both are good phones within that budget.
Old 4th June 2012, 12:40   #4043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
9790 Bold if you like the keyboard and 9380 Curve if you dont mind a full-touch screen. Both are good phones within that budget.
Great thanks! So you think the 1gz processor is good enough for os 7?
Old 4th June 2012, 16:11   #4044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great thanks! So you think the 1gz processor is good enough for os 7?
Absolutely. I know a couple of friends using these phones and they never complained that processor was slow. It also depends a lot on how you use your phone and how many apps are concurrently being used.

Simple things like keeping wi-fi,GPS and bluetooth off when not using can boost up your battery life and improve your processor speed

I use a 9810 which has a 1.2GHZ with OS 7.0 and have multiple things going on at concurrent times including read atleast 100 emails a day and reply to atleast 50 emails each day. I do a batt-pull every sunday and except for FB which wont refresh once a week properly every other app works like a charm.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:20   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absolutely. I know a couple of friends using these phones and they never complained that processor was slow. It also depends a lot on how you use your phone and how many apps are concurrently being used.

Simple things like keeping wi-fi,GPS and bluetooth off when not using can boost up your battery life and improve your processor speed

I use a 9810 which has a 1.2GHZ with OS 7.0 and have multiple things going on at concurrent times including read atleast 100 emails a day and reply to atleast 50 emails each day. I do a batt-pull every sunday and except for FB which wont refresh once a week properly every other app works like a charm.
Sounds good...So 9790 it is then. Thanks a lot!
Old 4th June 2012, 17:02   #4046
Senior - BHPian

You can also have a look at the 9860 which is a fantastic buy at 20k odd

The 9790 screen is a bit too small to justify a touch screen in my opinion.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:41   #4047
JVH
Senior - BHPian

My 3 year old Blackberry Curve (8900 I think) is just showing a blank screen from yesterday afternoon. I tried the usual jugaad of dismantling the battery, card and fixing it again but this time it refuses to start up. On charging, the red light comes on but immediately disappears after the charging is stopped.

I think battery may be the culprit. Its D-X1. Where can I get a spare battery in Bangalore? If not, what else could be the problem? Any recommended places to show for repairs?

TIA!

Last edited by JVH : 6th June 2012 at 09:46.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:47   #4048
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
My wife returned from Germany and her phone was conked off error 523.
I was able to clean install the OS and it's working perfectly with the latest version. Software used BBSAK from BBSAK.org

Thank you for all the support and hopefully this post helps others in similar situation.

Cheers!
Old 6th June 2012, 12:34   #4049
BHPian

I Guys, I am a new bb user and had a decent experience with my bold 9780 for about a month till two columns on the keypad (RFVTGB) stopped working. I gave it at the Redington office at Kolkata on 26 May. I was told that the machine would be sent to Blackberry India at Bangalore. Since then I haven't heard anything positive from them.

The call center hasn't been able to help either. Is there any email id / contact number for Blackberry India? The website has numerous links, but nothing for such administrative issues.

I am disappointed with blackberry!!
Old 6th June 2012, 14:04   #4050
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have a BB 8520 and the signal reception sucks. Half the time, the device fails to pick the signal and shows SOS calls only. This happens in open area too
Most likely the unit or the software. I am on Reliance CDMA. Never had a problem about signal strength (Samsung, LG, Nokia and BB). I replaced with a Samsung Epic 4G since I had to change the BB due to the hullabaloo about MEID registration. The signal level was very poor. In the meanwhile my son came with him Epic 4G and everything was fine. Compared with a friend's BB and it was about 20dB down. Then replaced the Epic 4G with an htc Incredible2. Signal levels again back up.

I think you have a bad piece, ask for a replacement or at least reload of the Software. In the Android world the 'Radio' is often the culprit.

Most Viewed