Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 15:51   #4156
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
The logo only indicates that there is 3g service available and your device is capable.If the service is not activated, you will not get 3g speeds. The 3g data plan for blackberry is only available on postpaid and starts at 599 per month. This is for airtel delhi. 3g gives good speeds on bb and playbook but it ducks battery. I deactivated 3g plan within a month.
@Shiv, I know that, 3G logo says that, but the 3G logo with BB logo means the plan is active on your cell....still so it seems to be working at so low speed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I'm using Idea in AP circle and paying 399 pm for unlimited BIS with 3G. Same plan when I was using Airtel in AP too.

In summary, both Airtel and Idea offer unlimited BIS on 3G for 399 pm on prepaid. The trick is to activate 'Pay-as-you-go' 3G before you activate the BB services.
Neil, I have the 399 plan on AP Airtel, also I have the 3G plan activated, still i cant browse with 3G speeds, i dont understand why?

Do we need some specific settings or something?
Old 12th September 2012, 17:15   #4157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Neil, I have the 399 plan on AP Airtel, also I have the 3G plan activated, still i cant browse with 3G speeds, i dont understand why?

Do we need some specific settings or something?
Try setting your Mobile Network setting to 3G only, instead of "2G and 3G".

Airtel in AP circle does not have a 3G license, hence it borrows its 3G from Idea (using ICRA, which TRAI is trying to rule as illegal). I too had trouble getting 3G speeds on Airtel, which is why I MNP'd over to Idea. My 3G signal on Airtel used to switch a lot between EDGE (2G) and 3G, but I never tried setting it to 3G only. Probably you can try and let us know if you're getting 3G speeds.
Old 13th September 2012, 01:02   #4158
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
What is the version of FB app at the moment?

Its 3.1.0.17

If there is a new version available please let me know the ways to install it.

Thanks,

Rajesh
Old 13th September 2012, 13:03   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Its 3.1.0.17

If there is a new version available please let me know the ways to install it.

Thanks,

Rajesh
hmm..I run the same version on my 9360 as well, haven't encountered this error, you may try downgrading the app version and check.Your blackberry runs on OS 7 or 7.1? Read in few posts that many have faced similar errors after upgrading their FB app.

You may refer these articles and try:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

or else, download the app from appworld.blackberry.com and synch it via desktop manager to see if that fixes the issue.

thx
Old 13th September 2012, 19:09   #4160
BHPian

Its time to upgrade to a new BB. Should i wait for BB10 or go in for an OS7 phone?
Old 13th September 2012, 23:12   #4161

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Im using BIS399 on my Vodafone prepaid sim.
Now the problem Im facing is that after chatting with someone on bbm, or surfing the net for sometime, I always get this message on my screen : "Your last session cost was Rs. XX. Your new balance is Rs. YY "...These people keep on deducting balance for no reason because 399 plan has unlimited internet usage. Sometimes even when my phone is idle, Rs 0.10 gets deducted on its own....
Hi, this is probably because your phone is using wap settings (vodafone live, airtel live etc.) for connecting to the internet and not your BIS connection. Call up Vodafone BB customer care and speak to them. Else, try this:-
1. Go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP
2. Delete any APN setting already present.
3. Tick the APN Settings Enabled button.
4. Under APN setting, type in blackberry.net
5. Leave the username and password areas blank & APN authentication unchecked.
6. Save the settings and re-start your handset.

Hope this helps.
PS: the above settings are for the Bold 9000. I'm assuming they are similar in other models also.

Cheers,
M_83.
Old 13th September 2012, 23:26   #4162
BHPian

Based on the reviews and all information I could find on the net, I have fallen big time for the BB Playbook. But still holding back due to the unavailability of 3G (I hope I am correct here). I wonder, what's the ultimate result of all that portability of a 7 inch device if it can't be used on the move. A WiFi only device can only be used in a room, and that too there's no guarantee that we can get wifi access when we are on trips/holidays.

Am I missing something here? And could anybody please throw some light on the micro-sim card capability. Does it provide 3G or 2G network access? Which service providers give micro-sims in india?

Last edited by SilkDrive : 13th September 2012 at 23:27.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:59   #4163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Based on the reviews and all information I could find on the net, I have fallen big time for the BB Playbook. But still holding back due to the unavailability of 3G (I hope I am correct here). I wonder, what's the ultimate result of all that portability of a 7 inch device if it can't be used on the move. A WiFi only device can only be used in a room, and that too there's no guarantee that we can get wifi access when we are on trips/holidays.

Am I missing something here? And could anybody please throw some light on the micro-sim card capability. Does it provide 3G or 2G network access? Which service providers give micro-sims in india?
I have a 64 GB playbook since january 2012 and I find it really good. One way of using internet on it is through a BB phone. One can also connect to internet by tethering with an android phone.
The main reason why I got the playbook is its sturdy build quality, the android ones look very flimsy. I don't think a Microsim can be used on the playbook. Playbook is a good tablet for someone who is not too much into apps and has limited use like seeing pics/videos and occasional gaming/internet use.

Micro sims can be made out of regular sims by using a cutter (and an adaptor to use it again like a regular sim). Most telecom stores or big stores like croma will do it for free
Old 14th September 2012, 13:15   #4164
Senior - BHPian

I had a curve 3g - 9330 which recently developed a snag. The trackpad refused to work.

I called up the mobile phone dealer and he said he can get it replaced free of cost since it was within the warranty.

I needed a simple blackberry in the mean while as all my work is on BB and I cannot live without it. If not for BBM and the emails ease I would switch to a Android Galaxy Note.

So brought a 9320 for 14.5k - also got the 199 rs 2g 3gb internet plan activated. Already had the 299 emails only and messenger plan. On vodafone upw.

This blackberry is quite neat and I would suggest it to anyone ;looking for a mid level handset. Also has a 3.2 with flash. Decent camera.
Old 14th September 2012, 15:37   #4165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I have a 64 GB playbook since january 2012 and I find it really good. One way of using internet on it is through a BB phone. One can also connect to internet by tethering with an android phone.
The main reason why I got the playbook is its sturdy build quality, the android ones look very flimsy. I don't think a Microsim can be used on the playbook. Playbook is a good tablet for someone who is not too much into apps and has limited use like seeing pics/videos and occasional gaming/internet use.

Micro sims can be made out of regular sims by using a cutter (and an adaptor to use it again like a regular sim). Most telecom stores or big stores like croma will do it for free
Thanks for the Information Vikram. That helped. I have been looking at the demo videos on the BB website and learnt about the Internet tethering after I made the earlier post. Its good that it can be tethered with android phones as well. However it would have been a significant leap in convenience if it had 3G and calling like the Galaxy tab 2. That's much better than being compelled to have 2 devices when on the move.

I am very confused , but I think I am more inclined towards the playbook at the moment.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 14th September 2012 at 15:48.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:04   #4166
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife's trackball based tour has started killing the trackball now every 6-7 weeks.
I was looking at killing 2 birds(teej ) and get her a replacement.
Now she was looking at the 9860, which I beleive is a touch only.
I just wanted to know, is it an easy migration from the pad BB to touch only?
The other phone she has an IP4, so expectations are higher.
She hates my android keyboard.

If not, is it better to get a bold with touch functionality instead of no physical keyboard?
Old 18th September 2012, 11:36   #4167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My wife's trackball based tour has started killing the trackball now every 6-7 weeks.
I was looking at killing 2 birds(teej ) and get her a replacement.
Now she was looking at the 9860, which I beleive is a touch only.
I just wanted to know, is it an easy migration from the pad BB to touch only?
The other phone she has an IP4, so expectations are higher.
She hates my android keyboard.

If not, is it better to get a bold with touch functionality instead of no physical keyboard?

You can also get her the new torch with sliding keyboard....heard its quite nice... BB 9810
Old 18th September 2012, 11:37   #4168
BHPian

Blackberry makes the finest qwerty keyboard, I would rather have a physical keyboard, than just the touchpad (which is not BB's forte). Also consider the Torch (keyboard and Touch ones).

I had the Torch 9800 and found it to be the best of both worlds, especially because of its design, the screen is larger than the Bold.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:46   #4169
Distinguished - BHPian

Mayank, Ping Neilguy who owns the 9860 for feedback on pure touchscreen phone.

I agree with Neo, BB is known for their keyboards and I would never be comfortable with a full touch screen phone.

I use the Torch 9810 which is a keyboard-cum-touch screen phone and is best of both worlds. However, I am not too happy with this model. Its previous model ( 9800) which i used for more than a year was better than 9810
Old 18th September 2012, 12:43   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Blackberry makes the finest qwerty keyboard, I would rather have a phys-------------n is larger than the Bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Mayank, Ping Neilguy who owns the 9860 for feedback on pure touchscreen phone.

I agre----------------f both worlds. However, I am not too happy with this model. Its previous model ( 9800) which i used for more than a year was better than 9810
So should I look at the torch, the previous one?
That was the one which had a sliding keyboard.
Or the bold touchscreen ones?

Also, how much are the phones you guys are talking about?
Based on that it will be either the phone -preferentially- or jewellery...:(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks