Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 12:53   #4171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So should I look at the torch, the previous one?
That was the one which had a sliding keyboard.
Or the bold touchscreen ones?

Also, how much are the phones you guys are talking about?
Based on that it will be either the phone -preferentially- or jewellery...:(
Hey, I am not saying 9810 is bad which i am using from last 6 months.

It's an awesome phone and your wife would love it for sure. But, when i compare it with 9800 ( which was it's previous version) I found 9800 better.

9800 is out of production so you have to go for 9810 ONLY

9810 should cost around 25K now I think.

However, the best phone in BB is 9900 which is the Bold but, when i was buying the torch it was 32K. So now i guess it should be around 28K-29K
Old 18th September 2012, 13:33   #4172
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Torch 9860 since almost a year now. It is full touch screen and the typing on it is far better than what it is made out to be. My previous phone was the BB8370 which I used since the time BB launched it some 5~6 years ago and it took me no more than a couple of days to adjust to the 9860. This phone costs 22K.

My father has been using the original Torch9800 since April last year and he is quite happy with that. I find the touchpad on his phone poorer in response than the one on mine. Ditto for the touch screens on the new Torch 9810 which a couple of my buddies have. As for their physical keypads, they are as good as one can get now a days and in any case far better than most others in the market currently. The 9800 if available should be approximately 28K and the 9810 I believe has an MRP of 32K.

All said and done all of these three phones have a very solid feel about them, being made of metal unlike most others (including the other BBs) which are made of plastics/polymers etc. However, unless your wife really needs enterprise mail, BBM etc. get her an iphone as the sliding Torch models are quite heavy, the 9860 though lighter in comparison is still heavier than the other BBs and the iphone has all of the other functions including personal email and of course a better screen and sharper camera. The end bit is true even for the outdated iphone3 which is now available for 9,999.00

Quote:
So should I look at the torch, the previous one?
That was the one which had a sliding keyboard.
Or the bold touchscreen ones?

Also, how much are the phones you guys are talking about?
Based on that it will be either the phone -preferentially- or jewellery...:(

Last edited by khoj : 18th September 2012 at 13:38.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:17   #4173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I have been using the Torch 9860 since almost a year now. It is full touch screen and the typing on it is far better than what it is made out to be. My previous phone was the BB8370 which I used since the time BB launched it som--------------------------------------------rsonal email and of course a better screen and sharper camera. The end bit is true even for the outdated iphone3 which is now available for 9,999.00
Thanks for that.
Ill be scoping these out and buying it today itself, so lets see.
She does need a BB only, and I know its for the BBM. Mails too, but I think thats just incidental.
Weight is not an issue, as her other fone is an IP4.
So, lets see.
Old 18th September 2012, 21:33   #4174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that.
Ill be scoping these out and buying it today itself, so lets see.
She does need a BB only, and I know its for the BBM. Mails too, but I think thats just incidental.
Weight is not an issue, as her other fone is an IP4.
So, lets see.
Thanks guys.
However, I happily ignored my previous choices and went ahead with a 9360 of all.

its been appreciated well.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:01   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.
However, I happily ignored my previous choices and went ahead with a 9360 of all.

its been appreciated well.
IN order to extract the maximum out of the measly 1000 mah battery, please uninstall the Social Feeds app and flash the latest firmware (I forgot the version but I guess it was .331 or .391). Also, GPS/Location service would be active by default so remember to turn it off. Needless to say, screen brightness should be set to 10 (minimum).

I was able to extract a full 24 hour charge by following the above steps.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:03   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
IN order to extract the maximum out of the measly 1000 mah battery, please uninstall the Social Feeds app and flash the latest firmware (I forgot the version but I guess it was .331 or .391). Also, GPS/Location service would be active by default so remember to turn it off. Needless to say, screen brightness should be set to 10 (minimum).

I was able to extract a full 24 hour charge by following the above steps.
Agree with Nishant on that, 9360 is a good BB device, except for its battery performance.Upgrade the OS to the latest version (I guess 7.1.0.569 is the most recent available on RIM site) and you could tap in the features like mobile hotspot, file sharing, Battery Saving Mode & FM radio.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:26   #4177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IN order to-------------r charge by following the above steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
Agree with Nish-----------ry Saving Mode & FM radio.

Will do that.
It left my hands the second i transferred content from the old device, and has not been seen since.

The BB desktop software will upgrade the OS or is it OTA?
Old 19th September 2012, 12:38   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Will do that.
It left my hands the second i transferred content from the old device, and has not been seen since.

Try searching for an upgrade via Desktop manager.Usually it doesn't pick up.
Recently vodafone had provided an OTA upgrade for 9360 as well.
Or else, you could download the latest update from RIM site, install the OS version in your computer and upgrade the OS via third party tools like BBSAK
Read pg 268 of this thread, have posted some links that gives an overview of the entire process.
Old 19th September 2012, 13:18   #4179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

Will do that.

Since you'll be going for the latest firmware, which I'm sure will not be from an Indian operator, you cannot do it OTA or via Desktop Manager.

Check www.berryreview.com or Crackberry for detailed instructions.
Old 19th September 2012, 15:39   #4180
Senior - BHPian

Turn Your Blackberry Os 7.1 Device Into A Wifi Router.

I do not know of this information has been posted here or not BUT though it will be quite useful to those who don't know.

I recently brought a 9320 with the 7.1 OS.

The phone is slim, works like a charm, has excellent speaker and clarity and way better than my Curve 3G.

I took a 199 3GB plan in addition to the 299 EMAIL / Messaging only plan since I thought it would be nice to have a bit of browsing when I am not in a wifi zone.

I have a high speed wifi connection both at home and office and have my laptop on all the time. This was only as a extra frill.

Vodafone called me and said they could not give me this plan and I will have to opt for the 599 plan which will include Blackberry all services and unlimited browsing ( minus youtube ). I agreed.

Now browsing is fine - fast and good. I mainly browse Facebook and Twitter only on blackberry phone.

I accidently stumbled upon a little feature called - MOBILE HOTSPOT which is present in the services and connections menu on this phone. My earlier phone did not have this so I assume its present in OS7.1.

This nifty feature is a wonder. I have a laptop dell studio with which I send a lot of email and pictures every day and sometimes in my office or work area the phone cable is broken so the wifi stops for sometimes as long as 1-2 days.

It happened yesterday and I was bored so turned this feature on and it said enter a password after which it said your device is now a wifi something. My laptop showed my Blackberry as a wifi device. I logged on and entered the password. and then opened Outlook and Chrome. Worked flawlessly

Now I have my own little wifi connection which I can use when my wifi is down or when I am travelling or in a hotel. This feature was unknown to me and its given me a lot of peace because the 2 things I always have with me - my laptop and blackberry and thankfully I do not have to buy a dongle which i was planning to get.

The above post may seem ridiculous to some but I have not been tech savvy for almost a decade. So finding these hidden surprises truly excites me and makes my work easier.

Hope this post helps you all. Regards - Varun

Last edited by vkochar : 19th September 2012 at 15:42.
Old 19th September 2012, 17:02   #4181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Turn Your Blackberry Os 7.1 Device Into A Wifi Router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I do not know of this information has been posted
Vodafone called me and said they could not give me this plan and I will have to opt for the 599 plan which will include Blackberry all services and unlimited browsing ( minus Youtube ).........Hope this post helps you all. Regards - Varun
Even I didn't knew this feature is present in my HTC One V, I just tried this after reading your post and Voila it worked

I am getting pretty good speed on Airtel 98/1gb 2g plan, Surfing is pretty good on it.

Thanks alot for posting this, I was planning to buy tata photon etc for using on laptop while travelling, You saved my money

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 19th September 2012, 17:41   #4182
Senior - BHPian

^ What you discovered is called 'WiFi Tethering'. You are right, it was not present till OS 7.1. Its a damn powerful feature especially if you have a PlayBook (in fact I bought the PB so that I could extend the BB's data connectivity on it!)

However on Androids, it has been there since Froyo days. I discovered it too accidentally once in Goa when I connected my Ubuntu laptop to my Galaxy Ace via USB cable (to charge) and it created a USB tethering point. So I could use my Vodafone 3G plan to browse and surf on my Netbook!
Old 19th September 2012, 20:38   #4183
Senior - BHPian

I have a Blackberry 9780 (Bold) and I'm having a weird problem. Whenever I try to download something from AppWorld. it starts to refresh the application list and does not stop. I did a complete data wipe, but that didn't work either. Any other ideas?
Old 20th September 2012, 13:43   #4184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, GPS/Location service would be active by default so remember to turn it off. Needless to say, screen brightness should be set to 10 (minimum).
But, you didnt mention if your GPS is "unchecked" you cannot use the check-in feature of Facebook from the Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I took a 199 3GB plan in addition to the 299 EMAIL / Messaging only plan since I thought it would be nice to have a bit of browsing when I am not in a wifi zone.
Why use two different plans? I thought ALL service provider now have the unlimited browsing at Rs.399 ( Rs.299 is only the email & IM's) inclusing Youtube?

P.S: You can watch unlimited youtube videos but, CANNOT download them in that plan.

P.S 2: I started first with 299, then moved to 399 then moved to 599 and currently on the enterprise plan of Rs.899 or Rs.999 ( not sure about exact price)
Old 20th September 2012, 13:53   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, you didnt mention if your GPS is "unchecked" you cannot use the check-in feature of Facebook from the Blackberry
Thats true! But battery life is far more important than letting the world know my tracks!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 20th September 2012 at 13:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks