Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 09:09   #4411
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Let me answer my own question, as I have recently got my Q10!

MMI services for some reason don't seem to be working on the Q10,
It initially downloads the 9MB file, and upon opening it it give the error message
"We're sorry, but your device is not authorized to use this application"
But their website says it is available for both the Q10 and Z10
link http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ountrycode=IN#

Anyone else facing the same issue?
Congrats on your new Q10
Can you please share the price you paid for it ?
Old 11th June 2013, 09:19   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Congrats on your new Q10
Can you please share the price you paid for it ?
Got it for Rs. 37,000
Old 11th June 2013, 11:38   #4413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Sir, please do not spread FUD and mistruths. The Q10 does have a lot of shortcuts and little gems in its awesome keyboard. For speed dial, you have to be in the phone screen to use the Speed Dial key. This is to prevent "butt-dialing" from the homescreen. Agreed, it's not as intuitive to find for all users, but the feature is there. More info about Q10 speed dial (or the lack of intuitivity thereof) is nicely 'rant'ed about here: http://crackberry.com/brainstorming-...blackberry-q10

Also more keyboard shortcuts for the Q10 have been documented here:
full-list-blackberry-q10-keyboard-shortcuts
http://crackberry.com/full-list-blac...-q10-shortcuts
I am not spreading FUD. I have been using BB for many years and I am a huge BB fan. On my Bold 9900 I rarely ever use the touch screen. Q10 doesn't have speed dial. Period. Opening the phone-screen, then opening the dial-pad and then pressing the speed-dial key and then waiting for the OS to figure out that I am not pressing 555 but speed dial 5: this is called slow dial, not speed dial. It is not done to prevent butt-dialing. They could not implement this feature for Q10 so released whatever was available with Z10. That shows a lack of respect for what made BB unique.

The other day I was telling a friend that this Q10 is a way to encourage QWERTY users to join the touch bandwagon. Even if you watch the BB Q10 videos you would notice that all those thumb gestures don't work the first time every time. The whole deal with QWERTY is you don't fumble for anything. Removing the trackpad makes it lousy to correct and recompose your text. It is a pain to correct your text/message using touch interface. It is so much easier to migrate from a Q10 phone to a full touch phone. It is much harder to migrate to a touch phone from the current Bold. So BB is digging its own grave, they can't fight with iPhone and Android in the touch-phone space.

The brain-dead at BB should have realized that people can type with touch-phones as well as QWERTY phones these days. It is precision (track-pad, qwerty) and quick-access (BB menu, keyboard shortcuts) that set the BB apart. Can't these numb-skulls understand why people that can afford any phone buy BB in spite of its lousy camera and app-collection? Plenty of BB users already carry a secondary touch phone (I have an adroid phone as 2nd phone) and I would be a stupid to buy Q10 because it has a QWERTY stuck with fevicol on it.

I was actually looking forward to Q10 and was hugely disappointed. Hence the rant!

Last edited by androdev : 11th June 2013 at 11:41.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:43   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not spreading FUD. I have been using BB for many years and I am a huge BB fan. On my Bold 9900 I rarely ever use the touch screen. Q10 doesn't have speed dial. Period. Opening the phone-screen, then opening the dial-pad and then pressing the speed-dial key and then waiting for the OS to figure out that I am not pressing 555 but speed dial 5: this is called slow dial, not speed dial. It is not done to prevent butt-dialing. They could not implement this feature for Q10 so released whatever was available with Z10. That shows a lack of respect for what made BB unique.

The other day I was telling a friend that this Q10 is a way to encourage QWERTY users to join the touch bandwagon. Even if you watch the BB Q10 videos you would notice that all those thumb gestures don't work the first time every time. The whole deal with QWERTY is you don't fumble for anything. Removing the trackpad makes it lousy to correct and recompose your text. It is a pain to correct your text/message using touch interface. It is so much easier to migrate from a Q10 phone to a full touch phone. It is much harder to migrate to a touch phone from the current Bold. So BB is digging its own grave, they can't fight with iPhone and Android in the touch-phone space.

The brain-dead at BB should have realized that people can type with touch-phones as well as QWERTY phones these days. It is precision (track-pad, qwerty) and quick-access (BB menu, keyboard shortcuts) that set the BB apart. Can't these numb-skulls understand why people that can afford any phone buy BB in spite of its lousy camera and app-collection? Plenty of BB users already carry a secondary touch phone (I have an adroid phone as 2nd phone) and I would be a stupid to buy Q10 because it has a QWERTY stuck with fevicol on it.

I was actually looking forward to Q10 and was hugely disappointed. Hence the rant!
Most of the things that you can do on a "full touchscreen" phone can be done on the Q10, you just need to know how to do it. And some of those "features" might be, and are, easier to do on a Q10 than on an Android. I myself have been using an Android since the last few months after many years of using an iPhone and a BB, and I absolutely detest the Android due to its lack of easy-to-use features and hard to set automatically-changing settings.

I have a voice activated bluetooth headset which was a breeze to use on an iPhone and a BB, but on Android, nooooooo. Less said the better about voice commands and voice dialing on the Android through bluetooth. And if by chance you give a voice command which the phone does not understand, then it stops without giving you a second chance, and you have to restart the whole voice command/dial process again from the beginning. For speed dial on the Android, I have to unlock from the Android lock screen, find the phone icon, if it is not there on the "dock", then go to either the dialpad or the speed dial screen (2 different screens, mind you) and then select to dial my speed dial contact by either pressing the numeric button or the precise phone icon beside the contact name (lord forbid if you have fat fingers). Tell me it is not easier on the Q10! If you have saved a contact shortcut on the home screen, then it is the same process for any iOS, Android or BB phone, so I'm not mentioning that here.

Probably what you are trying to convey is that it is not as easy, or downright difficult for YOU to use the Q10, just as it is frustrating for me to use an Android phone. But that is just a personal opinion and should be conveyed thusly, not as the opinion of the general masses by spreading misinformation.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2013 at 11:28. Reason: Removing personal line at the start. You need to strictly avoid the same.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:50   #4415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got it for Rs. 37,000
Congrats and welcome to OS10. Iam totally loving the Z10 experience and iam now more or less an expert on almost all the features except for camera which I havent explored fully

I plan to write a Team-BHP official style review of Z10 in a few days after experiencing it more

How's your initial experience with Q10 and hope you got it with B&W. Also, like androdev mentioned, do you see the keyboard different from the previous ones that you have been using?

Some initial thoughts would be nice and also some pictures would be more than welcome
Old 11th June 2013, 17:01   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats and welcome to OS10. Iam totally loving the Z10 experience and iam now more or less an expert on almost all the features except for camera which I havent explored fully

I plan to write a Team-BHP official style review of Z10 in a few days after experiencing it more

How's your initial experience with Q10 and hope you got it with B&W. Also, like androdev mentioned, do you see the keyboard different from the previous ones that you have been using?

Some initial thoughts would be nice and also some pictures would be more than welcome
Thank you Avi.

Firstly, Yes - got mine with the bill and warranty.
Love the look and feel of it. I have the black one (always had black colour BBs), and this one is different in its own way. It's slightly bigger than the outgoing 9900 and is also lighter(feels that way atleast. Even with the 2100mah battery. Maybe it is because there is no metal bezel).

I can only give you initial thoughts on the phone because I haven't seen it's full functionality. What I feel different is, the typing now is a lot easier ( if that is even possible) because the size of each key on the qwerty keypad is marginally bigger than the 9900. Maybe the user you are taking about is getting issues with the keys being at the bottom end on the phone as opposed to a more mid-low keypad on the old bold.

For some reason I miss the navigation track pad thing. I see myself putting my thumb over the T-Y keys trying to find it when I navigate inside pages/move up or down.
Maybe I have to get used to the gestures.

Good start as of now, will post more things as I come across them.

Last edited by discobiscuit : 11th June 2013 at 17:08.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:42   #4417
BHPian

I like the BB. I love the fact that some of the models still have the full keypad. However I simply cannot believe the pricing for its new product. Around 40k? That is squarely Iphone & S4 zone. I dont think BB will come even close to denting the sales figures of both.

As of now, most people who used the BB have already shifted to the Iphone really for corporate emails. I don't see either of the big 2 sweating!
Old 11th June 2013, 20:01   #4418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For some reason I miss the navigation track pad thing. I see myself putting my thumb over the T-Y keys trying to find it when I navigate inside pages/move up or down.
Maybe I have to get used to the gestures.
Oh so Q10 doesnt have a trackpad on the keyboard. Interesting

Iam sure you will love the gesture based navigation but, iam given to understand its one of the primary reason for eating up battery life. So iam currently testing with all gestures turned off to see if it ups the battery life

Look forward to a detailed report after a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
However I simply cannot believe the pricing for its new product. Around 40k? That is squarely Iphone & S4 zone. I dont think BB will come even close to denting the sales figures of both.
So what do you think the price should have been of the Blackberry OS10 which was developed from the scratch? In the same price range of Micromax, Samsung Grand etc? They have spent tons of money on developing this outstanding OS which is zillion years ahead of Iphone 5. Infact, Iphone is copying some of the most prominent features of OS10 into their next model ( I think in iOS 7). Some of the features they are copying are :-

1. Swiping or gesture base to unlock the phone

2. Swipe down to access "setting" from ANY screen

3. Copying the blackberry HUB which they are calling Control Center

4. Copying BBM which has live voice and video calls. Iphone has only video, so they are incorporating voice too in iOS7

5. Photo Filters which are much more compared to iphone

6. They are copying the Active Frame which was introduced by BB in OS10

With such amazing features you think its unfair for BB to price it in the range of iphone which commanded a 60K price at launch?

BB has its own fans, similar to iphone and Android and it is no way inferior to Android and Apple, atleast now after release of OS10 ( except for availability of apps)

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th June 2013 at 20:03.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:18   #4419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

With such amazing features you think its unfair for BB to price it in the range of iphone which commanded a 60K price at launch?

BB has its own fans, similar to iphone and Android and it is no way inferior to Android and Apple, atleast now after release of OS10 ( except for availability of apps)
Not wanting to turn this into a BB vs Iphone debate, but I don't see any amazing features in BB10. Infact I am using a 9900 and an iPhone 5 at the moment, and I was waiting for BB10 eagerly. But BB10 does not do anything my 9900 cannot do. Sure it does all that with a little more style, but its certainly not any easier or faster to do any of it. Yes the OS is more stable, but personally even OS7 on my 9900 didn't hang much, and battery life was the only problem.

As far as user interface goes, the iPhone is far ahead, though I miss a couple of features which are unique to the Blackberry. But that's just because I've been using a BB for the past 4 years.

Frankly BB has taken a huge hit, and as of now Android and iPhone have a much larger fan base. BB should have taken that into consideration and launched it at a price point below the others so that they can make more sales. Today ask most of the people who had blackberries earlier, or those who still own blackerries, and they will find the price ridiculous.

Everyone would rather have the apps and features of Android or Apple, rather than pay the same price for just a new UI. And let me say I consider myself a Blackberry fanboy.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:28   #4420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Not wanting to turn this into a BB vs Iphone debate, but I don't see any amazing features in BB10.
I totally understand and agree that lets not make this a BB vs. other OS thread. What iam trying to say is with the OS 10, Blackberry is finally "on par' if not ahead of other OS except for the availabilty of apps which I frankly dont understand why people crib so much about it. I never bought a paid app and will never buy one.

If i do a research on my own usage of apps ( iam a heavy BB user), I may use 5-10 apps regularly ( note, not daily) and other quite infrequently. So having more apps is a good to feel factor and nothing else

Coming to the pricing aspect, I agree that BB has taken a huge brand beating and now its supposedly inferior to Apple or Android. Therefore, to redeem themselves they should have priced lower or under cut the segment leaders to get ahead in sales? I think not.

Now they have a extremely stable OS10, what BB does in next 1-2 years in improving upon this platform will actually seal their fate
Old 11th June 2013, 20:35   #4421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I totally understand and agree that lets not make this a BB vs. other OS thread. What iam trying to say is with the OS 10, Blackberry is finally "on par' if not ahead of other OS except for the availabilty of apps which I frankly dont understand why people crib so much about it. I never bought a paid app and will never buy one.

Coming to the pricing aspect, I agree that BB has taken a huge brand beating and now its supposedly inferior to Apple or Android. Therefore, to redeem themselves they should have priced lower or under cut the segment leaders to get ahead in sales? I think not.
Sir you yourself say it is 'on par' with other OSs. And that its brand image has taken a beating. Now if it wants to price itself on par with other brands which supposedly are better, it needs to come up with a product which is perceived as better and not something which may be on par with other brands.

Take for example Audi, it was never perceived as good a brand as Mercedes or BMW. How is it number one today? Just because of the pricing. Sure its products may be as good or better or worse in some ways than Mercedes and BMW. But by offering things like the A6 2.0 at 37 it definitely is priced below BMW, and offers like that have helped its sales along with strong promotion.

I don't see much promotion going on by BB besides a few ads here and there.

Hope you understand the point I am trying to make.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:31   #4422
BHPian

Quote:

So what do you think the price should have been of the Blackberry OS10 which was developed from the scratch? In the same price range of Micromax, Samsung Grand etc? They have spent tons of money on developing this outstanding OS which is zillion years ahead of Iphone 5.
Here is my point:

1. Pricing the final product is simply a function of the market - Here BB have literally shot themselves on the foot

2. Comparison with Iphone - I am not a big fan of the Iphone but the fact remains it has a following - It is an aspirational product. People save/look forward to buying an Iphone. BB is not - It simply is a box which does its core job very well - Phones, Email and tries to do other things as well (Chat, maps, etc) It in no way can be compared to an Iphone or even the Google Nexus or the Nokia N900 (which were developers delight and solid solid pieces of hardware)

3. The new features that you talk about - Yes, they may look/feel good but will I pay a premium for that? Are those features great enough disruptions e.g. The pinch to zoom, the motion detection? (Don't think so - source - seen a review show at NDTV)

4. What will I do? - I would still keep my current BB. If there is an aspirational/lifestyle product that I want I would probably still look towards Nokia (Love the Windows OS) or (the dreaded) Iphone.

If BB wants to sell their latest phone in India (in sizable numbers) then they need to get their strategy correct. I will reiterate I am very happy with the current BB I have (It did not cost a bomb) and BB have simply not given me any reasons to even look for an upgrade.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:04   #4423
BHPian

Friends, my 9320 fell in water. The phone is still working sans display i.e. calls can be made & received. BB service centre have told me that the repairs would cost about 9 k.

Is is worth spending that much for repairs?
Old 12th June 2013, 08:57   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Friends, my 9320 fell in water. The phone is still working sans display i.e. calls can be made & received. BB service centre have told me that the repairs would cost about 9 k.

You could try getting it repaired from outside the service centre. Try to find someone reliable. Otherwise no point puttig that kind of money on an old phone.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:59   #4425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

Definitely not worth it. Unless that phone is of sentimental value.

A new 9320 is retailing at 13k. If you want to use the same one, I m pretty sure you can find a semi used one for 9k. My 2cents.

BACK TO BB10
Anyone having trouble adding New/Unknown Contacts Directly from a group chat members list in Whatsapp. In OS7 there used to be this option where you could click on the number you wanted to add to your Contact List and it would either let you add it to an existing contact or make a new contact out of it.
http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...p-bb10-782951/

Most Viewed