Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 15:14   #4426
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Here are some pics. sorry for the crappy quality.

Taken with the bb9900, NFC'd to my Q10 and posting directly from the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600683.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600684.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600686.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600687.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600688.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2013051600689.jpg  

Old 12th June 2013, 15:50   #4427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Friends, my 9320 fell in water. The phone is still working sans display i.e. calls can be made & received. BB service centre have told me that the repairs would cost about 9 k.

Is is worth spending that much for repairs?
Hi Breezydrive,

How long have you had your 9320 for? I am currently using a LG Optimus 4X HD but tired of the ever fast draining battery. Miss the good old days of BB Battery. Used to have a Bold 3 9780 earlier.

I am considering picking up 9320 for primary office use number which has tons of calls and emails and LG or an "smartphone" is just not able to cope up with it. How good or bad is the battery on 9320? I also considered 9220, but for 2.5-3k more i think 9320 is a better buy considering i can get the hotspot functionality for my samsung tab 2.

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2013, 22:40   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi Breezydrive,

How long have you had your 9320 for? I am currently using a LG Optimus 4X HD but tired of the ever fast draining battery. Miss the good old days of BB Battery. Used to have a Bold 3 9780 earlier.

I am considering picking up 9320 for primary office use number which has tons of calls and emails and LG or an "smartphone" is just not able to cope up with it. How good or bad is the battery on 9320? I also considered 9220, but for 2.5-3k more i think 9320 is a better buy considering i can get the hotspot functionality for my samsung tab 2.

Thanks.
I personally find 9320 a refined product by BB. Yes, it is worth spending 2.5k more than 9220
Old 12th June 2013, 23:53   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I personally find 9320 a refined product by BB. Yes, it is worth spending 2.5k more than 9220
What about battery life?
Old 13th June 2013, 01:23   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, my 9320 fell in water. The phone is still working sans display i.e. calls can be made & received. BB service centre have told me that the repairs would cost about 9 k.

Is is worth spending that much for repairs?
Get it fixed locally, most black berry non touch displays cost in the range of 4k.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:57   #4431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Sir you yourself say it is 'on par' with other OSs. And that its brand image has taken a beating. Now if it wants to price itself on par with other brands which supposedly are better, it needs to come up with a product which is perceived as better and not something which may be on par with other brands.
Going by your logic, a business can grow simply by undercutting price with respect to competition. My friend, iam into sales and i know there are plenty of parameters that go into pricing a product. Pricing is indeed an important parameter but, not the final

Comparing the Audi strategy to blackberry is simply illogical as Audi strategy pertains to one demography which is India whereas BB should be global as price points are almost same across the globe. Besides, the volumes are totally different. Hence, a comparison of this nature is not correct

Anyways, what iam saying is its ok for a consumer to pay 60K for an IP5 but, not 40K for Z10? ( Perhaps, the reasons are nobody is willing to take bets on the new OS10 barring a few nuts like us...lol...They think BB has bitten the dust but, thats clearly not the case after the release of OS10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
2. Comparison with Iphone - I am not a big fan of the Iphone but the fact remains it has a following - It is an aspirational product. People save/look forward to buying an Iphone. BB is not - It simply is a box which does its core job very well - Phones, Email and tries to do other things as well (Chat, maps, etc) It in no way can be compared to an Iphone or even the Google Nexus or the Nokia N900 (which were developers delight and solid solid pieces of hardware)
Apple being an inspiration product is because Apple being one of the best marketing company. I do not find it an inspirational product and neither i feel anyone owning a Apple product any superior ( socially or technologically)

Quote:
Not worth spending that kind of money. Just cut back your losses and buy a new BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Here are some pics. sorry for the crappy quality.
Thanks for the pics. Q10 indeed looks like a solid phone

As days pass, my Z10's battery is improving and also its impressing me on a daily basis as i discover one new feature after other.

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th June 2013 at 17:00.
Old 13th June 2013, 17:18   #4432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Going by your logic, a business can grow simply by undercutting price with respect to competition. My friend, iam into sales and i know there are plenty of parameters that go into pricing a product. Pricing is indeed an important parameter but, not the final

Comparing the Audi strategy to blackberry is simply illogical as Audi strategy pertains to one demography which is India whereas BB should be global as price points are almost same across the globe. Besides, the volumes are totally different. Hence, a comparison of this nature is not correct

Anyways, what iam saying is its ok for a consumer to pay 60K for an IP5 but, not 40K for Z10? ( Perhaps, the reasons are nobody is willing to take bets on the new OS10 barring a few nuts like us...lol...They think BB has bitten the dust but, thats clearly not the case after the release of OS10)
No a business cannot only grow by undercutting its competition. I'm sure there are other parameters, but in India I think pricing plays a key role.

I am comparing the BB to Audi only in India and not on a global scale. I don't have enough knowledge to compare them on a global scale. The only reason I am comparing them is because like BB is now, Audi was the underdog, and coupled with a good product and a better price it has managed to sell a lot. While BB has a good product it certainly does not have a good price. Had Audi priced themselves on par with BMW and Mercedes and not given any discounts, they would have still been number 3 today.

A consumer does not pay 60k for an iPhone 5. Its the same price, infact the 16gb iphone is cheaper than the q10 today.

Frankly, if Blackberry cannot make someone with a 9900 want to upgrade to a Q10 then it definitely needs to do more. Right now the only people who are upgrading are the ones who want to be seen with the latest phone, and not because it offers any more functionality.
Old 13th June 2013, 19:05   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Apple being an inspiration product is because Apple being one of the best marketing company. I do not find it an inspirational product and neither i feel anyone owning a Apple product any superior ( socially or technologically)
Sorry buddy, what I referred Apple as an 'aspirational' product - implying people 'want' to buy it irrespective of technological or social status.
Which means that it does not 'matter' to most people buying an Iphone if the technologically it may lag behind its peers but just because its an Iphone, people would want to buy it.

Now my question - do people feel the same about the BB? Atleast I dont. I loved the old BB's however. They were brilliant at doing their core job and it felt good holding a BB.

IMHO BB should not try to ape Apple, what it can do it try to get the corporates back on the BB - emails, calendar, chat, video conference ( now I am going overboard), email attachments, office documents compatibility at a price point which is reasonable.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:38   #4434
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Q10 indeed looks like a solid phone

As days pass, my Z10's battery is improving and also its impressing me on a daily basis as i discover one new feature after other.
Np.

Did you happen to find a place in Hyderabad which sells the Extra Battery Charging Bundle?

I tried a few places but to no avail.
Quote:
Right now the only people who are upgrading are the ones who want to be seen with the latest phone, and not because it offers any more functionality.
Wrong.

I bought one and it is definitely not because of the reason you stated, and frankly, it is bad to stereotype based on your assumptions.

I have spent close to 2 years using my 9900. I have been using Blackberry since 2006 (Pearl) . I just cant seem to adapt to typing on a touch screen. Hence for a person like me, who needs a QWERTY, who does not use the phone 'that much' (as an android or iOS user) to edit/view media, play games, who can get on with his life without having 1 billion apps; I consider the Q10 a great phone. It got me out of all the issues I was facing with my 9900 - namely, OS being slow, battery issues, no front facing camera (and a few other not so big issues).

AND Finally, (the most important criteria for me) not to forget how rock solid these BB phones are. They take so much beating compared to 'the other smart phones' and hardly put a dent.

I do agree with you that it is a tad bit more expensive than what the market was expecting it to be. Trust me! I was the first one to be angry.

Remember the Porsche design Blackberry? Now, that is a phone that fits your stereotype.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:55   #4435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It got me out of all the issues I was facing with my 9900 - namely, OS being slow, battery issues, no front facing camera (and a few other not so big issues).

AND Finally, (the most important criteria for me) not to forget how rock solid these BB phones are. They take so much beating compared to 'the other smart phones' and hardly put a dent.

Remember the Porsche design Blackberry? Now, that is a phone that fits your stereotype.
Well obviously I didn't mean everyone who buys a Q10 right now is a poser. But most of the people buying it now just want the latest gadget.

Going by what has improved, was it worth paying 40k for the Q10? I too face the poor battery (especially on 3G with my 9900), the slow firmware I have never faced due to constant firmware upgrades on my part (then again it depends how heavy your usage is and how much data you store).

I know I wouldn't pay 40k just for those 4 improvements, hence I went out and got an Iphone 5. Now I have the best of both worlds, and by diving my usage the battery on either never runs out lol.

Either way you may not agree with me with the above, but I can agree with you its terrible to type on a touch phone. The BB keyboards are the best. BTW how did you get it for 37k?
Old 14th June 2013, 12:13   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Well obviously I didn't mean everyone who buys a Q10 right now is a poser. But most of the people buying it now just want the latest gadget.

Going by what has improved, was it worth paying 40k for the Q10? I too face the poor battery (especially on 3G with my 9900), the slow firmware I have never faced due to constant firmware upgrades on my part (then again it depends how heavy your usage is and how much data you store).

I know I wouldn't pay 40k just for those 4 improvements, hence I went out and got an Iphone 5. Now I have the best of both worlds, and by diving my usage the battery on either never runs out lol.

Either way you may not agree with me with the above, but I can agree with you its terrible to type on a touch phone. The BB keyboards are the best. BTW how did you get it for 37k?
When you said "the only people", I assume you mean everyone.
Good for RIM that 'these posers' are buying the phone. Guess they should have priced it higher.

4 major improvement. So many minor improvements that I learn something new every day. The design itself is amazing. The feel is incredible. The materials used are terrific. The OS is so versatile. So many things add up. And like i said earlier, when you are desperate to upgrade, the price factor - although an issue, will tend to look smaller than it is.

I had someone from my company source it for me. It was a part of Group Buy. There was no way I was gonna pay 45k. Maybe would have waited a month for the cheaper Q5 to get launched.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:19   #4437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Now my question - do people feel the same about the BB? Atleast I dont. I loved the old BB's however. They were brilliant at doing their core job and it felt good holding a BB.

IMHO BB should not try to ape Apple, what it can do it try to get the corporates back on the BB - emails, calendar, chat, video conference ( now I am going overboard), email attachments, office documents compatibility at a price point which is reasonable.
It still does its core job brilliantly and does whatever you mentioned above better than any phone out there. I will post a short review of the + and - of the Z10 and OS 10 in general that can perhaps through some light on these points

Quote:
Right now the only people who are upgrading are the ones who want to be seen with the latest phone, and not because it offers any more functionality.
Well, same "Posers Logic" applies to people who are upgrading from their IP4 or IP4S to IP5 & S3 to S4. What do these latest gadgets offer that consumers are desparate to move to them and cannot do with out in their existing phones?

To be honest, i was very happy with my BB 9810, but, I still upgraded. Why? Reason below....

Whereas the reasons are somewhat tied to this :-

a) Increasingly disposable incomes
b) Social pressure to be seen with latest gadgets
c) True technology fans
d) Curiosity to try the new features

I fall straight into the d) bucket

Quote:
Did you happen to find a place in Hyderabad which sells the Extra Battery Charging Bundle?
What exactly is this? Can you describe in detail the usefulness of this extra battery charging bundle? Is it just an extra battery with a charger for the phone? If yes, that will be expensive. No less than 3K. Are you willing to spend that kind of money for an additional battery?

Quote:

Battery will always remain an issue with phones as they are getting smarter due to various new featues ( primarily due to gesture based features), they are sucking the battery power out of the phone and not mention western countries already run on LTE ( 4G).

Battery getting drained out fast is a problem with BB, IP and Samsung S3/S4, so this problem is universal for heavy smartphone users at any given point of time.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:41   #4438
BHPian

Quote:

What exactly is this? Can you describe in detail the usefulness of this extra battery charging bundle? Is it just an extra battery with a charger for the phone? If yes, that will be expensive. No less than 3K. Are you willing to spend that kind of money for an additional battery?.
http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...8A37A14090.htm
I know its available for cheaper on amazon. Just haven't found anyone selling it here locally.

Very useful when you travel.

Or when you come home from a long days work (when you have been away from a charge point), and have to immediately leave again for a long evening.

I am very reckless when it comes to battery use. I tend to have my 3G and Wifi on at most times.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:52   #4439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...8A37A14090.htm
I know its available for cheaper on amazon. Just haven't found anyone selling it here locally.
Interesting. You mentioned its not available off the shelf in Hyderabad. which places have you looked?

Iam a power user and this would definetly help but, iam mostly near a charge point over the week so it wont be that useful but, during those infrequent full day meetings, travel or simply when iam riding/driving would be great help.

I dont mind buying this online from a reliable source or in Hyderabad, do keep me posted if you find a place where its available.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:58   #4440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting. You mentioned its not available off the shelf in Hyderabad. which places have you looked?

Iam a power user and this would definetly help but, iam mostly near a charge point over the week so it wont be that useful but, during those infrequent full day meetings, travel or simply when iam riding/driving would be great help.

I dont mind buying this online from a reliable source or in Hyderabad, do keep me posted if you find a place where its available.
Or you can get something like this
http://www.sony.co.in/product/cp-els

It doesn't charge that quickly, but it was a godsend when my damn 9900 was almost out of battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks