Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 15:16   #4501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Vodaphone insits 3G is mandatory for the Q10.
Thats really strange. Never heard of a phone that NEEDS 3G. I am sure there are ppl who use S4, iphone 5 etc on EDGE.

Q10 & Z10 users in the house can shed some light on this.
Old 26th June 2013, 19:00   #4502
Senior - BHPian

My father in law bought a Z10 when it was launched and immediately started cribbing about the time it took to receive mails [he had a 9780]. mails sent from his outlook to his phone, another iphone and a samsung all came faster than on his z10.

changed to 3g and is now a happy man. maybe that is why they could be insisting?
Old 26th June 2013, 22:47   #4503
BHPian

Will team-bhp developers make an App for BB10 OS users?

Anybody have any idea on this subject? Is there any development going on?
Old 28th June 2013, 11:47   #4504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are right. I wonder why they don't have a BB plan like they have for the older Blackberrys. The older BB plan was cheaper for my "just email" use.
Your the first person iam hearing saying a BIS plan is being missed. Infact, that was one of the biggest painpoints for people on blackberry as it used to tie them down to blackberry with its unwanted package

In recent past they became a bit wise, devised different plans like ONLY bbm plan, only email plan etc

But, in general the new OS10 move to a regular data plan is a great move by them.

Quote:
Right now Vodaphone has moved me to a plan that costs 450 per month. That's Rs. 150 per month more than my earlier plan.
Monthly plan 450
Allowance (MB) : 2 GB
Validity (Days) : 30 days
Charges on usage beyond allowance within validity :2p/10 KB
https://m.vodafone.in/3g/3g_tariffs/mum/2_1_999/
There is no need for 3G plan, you can use 2G as well if you dont mind little slower internet experience ( will be slower than the usual BIS plans)

But, when experiencing a newer OS, its better to go for 3G ( sucks battery, i know) as you will enjoy the features and browsing much better

My monthly 3G plan on Airtel

Monthly plan 650
Allowance (MB) : 3 GB
Validity (Days) : 30 days
Charges on usage beyond allowance within validity :No Charges. But, beyond 3G data usage, speed reduces to 2G

It works great for me as using 3GB data is a lot. besides, I was on a Rs.899 BIS plan earlier. So overall, a cheaper option for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Will team-bhp developers make an App for BB10 OS users?
Didnt understand this point. Are you saying if any team-bhp APP is being made available for OS10 blackberry phones? If yes, then i dont think there is any such plan.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:59   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Didnt understand this point. Are you saying if any team-bhp APP is being made available for OS10 blackberry phones? If yes, then i dont think there is any such plan.
Yup you got it right.

I'm not sure if there is any such thing for android phones, but I happen to own an iPad and, I have a basic Team-bhp app on it which is a nice little platform to read tbhp articles and threads on.

As of right now (and throughout the past), for BB, I always had to go to the browser and navigate myself through the regular t-bhp website. And on a phone like the Q10, it could be a little stressful.

-----------------------------------------------------

BBM

I have recently added all my BBM contacts and am surprised to see how many have already jumped on to the OS 10 phones. There is a small video camera logo next to their name, which allows me to video call them. And to be honest, the video clarity is very decent and the audio clarity is phenomenal. I am on Airtel, and I have made so many international BBM video calls without any trouble.

Only time i have has issues is when my signal was relatively weak (specially when in basements or driving fast).
Old 28th June 2013, 12:06   #4506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if there is any such thing for android phones, but I happen to own an iPad and, I have a basic Team-bhp app on it which is a nice little platform to read tbhp articles and threads on.
I have been rueing this fact that there is no TBHP App for blackberry for many years, its not happening now also.

Btw, there is a similar app for android phones too and i agree its great app for phone. We are simply unlucky not to have one for BB

Quote:
I have recently added all my BBM contacts and am surprised to see how many have already jumped on to the OS 10 phones. There is a small video camera logo next to their name, which allows me to video call them. And to be honest, the video clarity is very decent and the audio clarity is phenomenal. I am on Airtel, and I have made so many international BBM video calls without any trouble.
Most of my contacts now are on whatsapp but, i still find BBM better than whatsapp. Need to check this video call feature, never tried it.Will send you a BBM invite...Cheers
Old 28th June 2013, 12:12   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
I have been rueing this fact that there is no TBHP App for blackberry for many years, its not happening now also.

Btw, there is a similar app for android phones too and i agree its great app for phone. We are simply unlucky not to have one for BB
Is there a 'valid' reason behind it?
Old 28th June 2013, 12:21   #4508
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to get back to BB as i got bored with android. I miss BB a lot. The main reason I switched from BB to android due to expensive BIS plan and lack of GPS, sadly BB maps don't work in India :( even with the new BB 10 OS.

I have a 9900 still lying around and wanted to know if I got it updated to OS 7.1 with all the features, can I get google maps like in android to work in BB ( I heard google has taken BB off their device list in google maps download) and do I still need BIS plan or can I just take an 3G plan and use BBM and email.

-Sajan
Old 28th June 2013, 16:01   #4509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your the first person iam hearing saying a BIS plan is being missed.

But, when experiencing a newer OS, its better to go for 3G.
Quote:
I have a basic Team-bhp app on it which is a nice little platform to read tbhp articles and threads on.
Firstly please forgive me if I misuse terms. I am not a techie and by the time the PC was invented I had finished college.

I was THE last person in my office to get a Black Berry (which for a long time I called White Apple a combo of them terms White Elephant and Apple).

1. Since the Q10 required me to cut my SIM card I got new SIM card and put it in the Q10 (in case I wanted to go back to my Torch). When I did that the Q10 asked me for my username and password and when I entered that it got all my BB contacts on the Q10. It was only 12 hours later that I realised by accident that my BB contacts have been erased from my old Torch. Why? Now I have to carry 2 phones. The Torch for voice and SMS and the Q10 for BBM (and I get email on both). Can I fix this so my BBM goes back to the old Torch (which has my old SIM).

2. The email on the Q10s Mobile Internet Service (3G) seems slower than the email on my Torch's Blackberry Internet Service (2G). Why?

3. Why do I need 3G? It's like buying a better notebook and a later version of Office. I will still make the same documents and type the same speed. It is me who is the limitation not the hardware or software or even the service. All the new stuff does is cost more. It does not make me more efficient.

BTW DiscoBiscuit (love the handle), I love the iPad (3G on the iPad I can understand) and TBHP's app. I often use it when I don't want to get out of bed and turn the laptop on.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:28   #4510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Since the Q10 required me to cut my SIM card I got new SIM card and put it in the Q10 (in case I wanted to go back to my Torch). When I did that the Q10 asked me for my username and password and when I entered that it got all my BB contacts on the Q10. It was only 12 hours later that I realised by accident that my BB contacts have been erased from my old Torch. Why? Now I have to carry 2 phones. The Torch for voice and SMS and the Q10 for BBM (and I get email on both). Can I fix this so my BBM goes back to the old Torch (which has my old SIM).
Iam not sure but, a simple explanation is that a person's identity is associate with Blackberry ID ( contacts, BB world, etc) Therefore, you cannot associate 2 phones with a single BB ID

I could be wrong but, some technical expert can clarify if this is correct

Quote:
2. The email on the Q10s Mobile Internet Service (3G) seems slower than the email on my Torch's Blackberry Internet Service (2G). Why?
Not emails but, I note the FB updates on my Z10 is pretty slow and notifications dont show up on its own. When i open the FB app, then i see the notifications....Could be a problem with FB itself and not necessarily with the phone or service provider

My emails work with same blistering speed as previous BB phones

Quote:
3. Why do I need 3G?
As mentioned before, you dont need a 3G. Just get yourself a 2G data plan( even if its against their advice) and check for yourself.

P.S: I love my Z10 immensely except for its fast battery sucking capability, doesnt last me more than 7-8 hours after a full charge due to my heavy usage
Old 29th June 2013, 10:54   #4511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As mentioned before, you dont need a 3G. Just get yourself a 2G data plan( even if its against their advice) and check for yourself.

P.S: I love my Z10 immensely except for its fast battery sucking capability, doesnt last me more than 7-8 hours after a full charge due to my heavy usage
7-8 hours? I get 2 days - I used to get 5-6 days with my old Nokia (before I got a BB). What do you do with your phone? Forget I asked. My nephew makes phone calls with his mobile even when he has a perfectly good land line available. He too complains about battery life.

Email: my Torch (Blackberry plan) gets the same email before the Q10 (Mobile Internet 3G plan) does.

Is there anyway I can get my BBM back on my old Torch?

Please help, the weekend is here and that's when i use my mobile more.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:59   #4512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
7-8 hours? I get 2 days - I used to get 5-6 days with my old Nokia (before I got a BB). What do you do with your phone? Forget I asked. My nephew makes phone calls with his mobile even when he has a perfectly good land line available. He too complains about battery life.
Well, I have 6 whatsapp group with highest member in one group being 35 members and lowest is 10 people

In the highest member group there is a "Minimum" of 1000 messages exchange in a single day

Then usual FB, Emails, Phone calls and I read TOI on phone and read a lot of threads on CB10 etc..

If iam at work, my phone is perenially plugged to the charger and when iam out on a full day thats when the fear of battery discharging sinks in

P.S: We too have a landline at home but, none of us even touch it. We just pay the monthly Rs.250 rental charges for several months now

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th June 2013 at 11:00.
Old 29th June 2013, 11:02   #4513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If iam at work, my phone is perenially plugged to the charger
That must have killed your battery. Li-ion batteries suffer from "memory" too though not as much as Ni-Cd.

I am lucky if I get 1000 messages a quarter (aka 3 months).
Old 29th June 2013, 11:53   #4514
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am finally moving from Droid to BB today. I am getting a good condition BB Curve 9320 through a friend. Phone still has 14 months warranty left. Now i have a doubt, How do i sync my contacts associated with my gmail id with bb? I have outlook installed on my Laptop but those set of contacts are different and i dont want to sync those.

First i thought of exporting google contacts and importing them into outlook & later sync bb using the DM but that would just mix up all my contacts and i dont wish to do that.

Please advise.
Old 29th June 2013, 12:10   #4515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I am finally moving from Droid to BB today. I am getting a good condition BB Curve 9320 through a friend. Phone still has 14 months warranty left. Now i have a doubt, How do i sync my contacts associated with my gmail id with bb? I have outlook installed on my Laptop but those set of contacts are different and i dont want to sync those.

First i thought of exporting google contacts and importing them into outlook & later sync bb using the DM but that would just mix up all my contacts and i dont wish to do that.

Please advise.
What is your BB OS version? My bold 9900 gives me an option to sync contacts, calendar when I set up gmail and works out of the box pretty well. In my older BB, I was using a BB application called Google Sync, but looks like it is discontinued. It worked pretty well for me.

As per outlook, backup the exiting contacts and delete them. Import gmail contacts into outlook, sync with BB and delete from outlook. Restore the backup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks