Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 21:54   #4651
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

After using z10 and Q10 (and various other like nexus, m8, 5s in the past 4 months I am back on the legacy devices and it feels great, no snapchat no insta etc to divert attention hee are my current legacy devices!!
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-image.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2014, 16:32   #4652
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to handle the Blackberry Passport yesterday and I was simply blown away to smithereens

Its is like an unbeilevable creature out there in the swarm of normal animals(smartphones) and seems like a brute of a device with a unique form factor which will definetly take sometime for people to get adjusted too

But, holding it in hand for a few mins was enough to convince me that this phone is rock solid and is built way better than the OS10 models ( which itself was a a major improvement from their legacy devices) and has a solid feel to it

Have handled the IPhone 6+ in my hands too. Didint feel anything special, felt like any other Samsung phone (not previous iPhones)

Iam sold on the Blackberry Passport and will acquire one as soon as I get a good deal on it
Old 22nd November 2014, 16:35   #4653
BHPian

Guys the Black friday sale is up on shopblackberry.com for USA purchases. So if any friend / relative is returning in near future from US or canada, this can be a good opportunity.
You can buy Z30 at $ 225 in USA and In Canada at $250.
Blackberry Passport for $499 in US and $599 in Canada.
Both Devices are unlocked and sim free.

Last edited by roamer : 22nd November 2014 at 16:45.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:40   #4654
BHPian

I want to join the smartwatch wagon and I am looking for a watch that is compatible with my BB. Any pointers?
Old 12th December 2014, 16:42   #4655
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam still surprised to see that no member has bought a Blackberry Passport yet.

Was expecting some sort of review here....

I still have a month before I can lay my hands on my passport
Old 13th December 2014, 15:18   #4656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I want to join the smartwatch wagon and I am looking for a watch that is compatible with my BB. Any pointers?
I was in the same dilemma a while back and only two smart watches fit the bill - Sony and Pebble. But they are not without their issues as neither of them natively supports BlackBerry (I'm talking BB10 here).

Sony needs some alteration to a key file, recompiling and resigning. Instructions for this are on the Web, if that is your thing.

Pebble is better because the hard work of making it sync with BB10 has been done by a developer who has an app on BlackBerry Store called Talk2watch. But it's still not an elegant solution because you have to use the Android app for installing /uninstalling apps and T2W for regular notifications. Still, it is the easiest way to get a Pebble working with BB10.

My Pebble ordering experience is on the Pebble thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I guess it's too pricey and knowing the history of BlackBerry everyone is waiting for the price to drop.

It's compelling, no doubt.

Last edited by StarScream : 13th December 2014 at 15:25.
Old 13th December 2014, 21:31   #4657
BHPian

Quote:

Have been using a passport since last month....and just love it
Old 13th December 2014, 21:45   #4658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Guys the Black friday sale is up on shopblackberry.com for USA purchases. So if any friend / relative is returning in near future from US or canada, this can be a good opportunity.
You can buy Z30 at $ 225 in USA and In Canada at $250.
Blackberry Passport for $499 in US and $599 in Canada.
Both Devices are unlocked and sim free.
Quote:

Hey, Even I wanna get one. I have a relative returning from Canada next month. Can you tell where he should pick the phone from in canada and what the best price would be.

On a side note, do I need to worry about the network bands before buying or is there only one global version
Old 14th December 2014, 01:40   #4659
Senior - BHPian

The Passport is still being offered at $599 on shopblackbery, however only in the US online store. In Canada it is listed at $699.00

The Classic too is on preorder now @$449 in the US & @$499 on the Canadian side with deliveries starting mid December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hey, Even I wanna get one. I have a relative returning from Canada next month. Can you tell where he should pick the phone from in canada and what the best price would be.

On a side note, do I need to worry about the network bands before buying or is there only one global version
Old 14th December 2014, 10:31   #4660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Have been using a passport since last month....and just love it
Thats great. It's such an awesome device and blows every phone out of the water with respect to its specs, features and overall productivity but, still there is so much resistance from people to even give it a try

Iphone 6 pales in comparison, IMO

One query. If someone buys the Passport in India will the warranty holds good if the owner travels from country where phone was bought to another country? e.g : Passport bought in India and warranty claim in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Do order from Amazon.com or Shop Blackberry and get it delivered to your relative home in Canada

Unlike previous BB10 models, Blackberry Passport is a single model that works on every GSM network in the world (Note, Passport doesnt work on CDMA network hence, its still not available in Verizon and AT&T in the US)

Also check out the White and Red Passports. They look really awesome
Old 14th December 2014, 11:46   #4661
Senior - BHPian

Blackberry has an shortcoming terms of the apps it supports. I use a Q5 and most companies do not have apps for BB10 OS. No Uber or Taxi for sure ( though the timing is a bit wrong).

Morever, Indian market is about following the herd and playing safe. So no one thinks twice about spending 50 K + on an I Phone but no one is willing to put that kind of money for a Passport.

(BTW, I believe the Passport is over priced at 50 K . I would be more comfortable with a price arounf 2%)- 30 K for this device.
Old 14th December 2014, 14:19   #4662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Blackberry has an shortcoming terms of the apps it supports. I use a Q5 and most companies do not have apps for BB10 OS. No Uber or Taxi for sure ( though the timing is a bit wrong).
Really? That isn't my experience. With Snap and the Amazon app store, I have every app I can imagine on my Z10 from Instagram to Wi-Fi File Explorer. Something like the Uber Google app doesn't work because it requires access to Android accessibility options, which is obviously different/not present in BB10. But for Uber I just use m.uber.com, for which I have a shortcut icon on my home screen. Works like the app pretty much.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:46   #4663
BHPian

Quote:

Been using mine since the last 10 days. Replaced my iPhone 5s with this and I do not intend to go back to using iPhones. The Passport is simply phenomenal. That's my one word review of it.

Can someone just tell me how to use SNAP and the Amazon app store on it? That's the only thing I am struggling with at the moment.

Thank you
Rohan
Old 16th December 2014, 16:16   #4664
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike previous BB10 models, Blackberry Passport is a single model that works on every GSM network in the world (Note, Passport doesnt work on CDMA network hence, its still not available in Verizon and AT&T in the US)
I am not sure it supports the 4G LTE band that's used in India. However, it does work on all 3G/2G GSM networks here.

Been using one for the past 2 weeks and the experience is simply unbeatable!

On a side note, does anyone know from where one could buy the original hard case or the leather flip case in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Can someone just tell me how to use SNAP and the Amazon app store on it? That's the only thing I am struggling with at the moment.
Here is a neat tutorial for setting up Snap, http://crackberry.com/how-use-snap-b...roid-apk-files

As far as the Amazon App store is concerned, the app comes installed by default in the Passport. Just locate it, open it, find the app you want to download, and hit that download button on the top right corner!

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th December 2014 at 17:28. Reason: Back to Back posts. Please refrain. Thanks!
Old 16th December 2014, 22:57   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Here is a neat tutorial for setting up Snap, http://crackberry.com/how-use-snap-b...roid-apk-files

As far as the Amazon App store is concerned, the app comes installed by default in the Passport. Just locate it, open it, find the app you want to download, and hit that download button on the top right corner!

Thanks for the link preetham.

As far as the Amazon app is concerned, it's there but I have to create an account to use it. I got my passport from Kuwait since it was cheaper there (saved almost 9k). The options preloaded in the device for the stores do not list the Amazon India store. Will create an account on Amazon.com and see if that works.

Cheers
Rohan

Most Viewed