Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 07:54   #4666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Blackberry has an shortcoming terms of the apps it supports.
Lack of app suport seems to be the standard mantra for everyone when they want to highlight where BB is lacking

Tell me how many apps do you use on a regular basis? 10? 20? 50? or more than that?

In my humble opinion, app craze is just what it is "Craze"

I wont lose my sleep over if some app is not available as there will be plenty of alternate options

I think discarding a phone ( especially an awesome platform like BB10) because of lack of apps is not fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Really? That isn't my experience. With Snap and the Amazon app store, I have every app I can imagine on my Z10 from Instagram to Wi-Fi File Explorer.
Exactly, I never thought like Rajneesh even when Amazon store was not available on BB10 but, with Amazon store ( never used SNAP) lack of apps difference is finally brought much closer (well, i dont care if Android or IOS has 10 million apps vs 500K on BB...In reality nobody can even explore those many apps let alone use it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Been using mine since the last 10 days. Replaced my iPhone 5s with this and I do not intend to go back to using iPhones. The Passport is simply phenomenal. That's my one word review of it.
Rohan, Iam yet to come across a bad review of the Passport

Can you highlight what you "dont" like about the phone? I think that would be more interesting to know

Quote:
I got my passport from Kuwait since it was cheaper there (saved almost 9k). The options preloaded in the device for the stores do not list the Amazon India store. Will create an account on Amazon.com and see if that works.
So was it 41K for the phone? Also, does your blackberry warranty applicable in India?

Now the next question. Anybody here own the Passport White or Red?
Old 18th December 2014, 09:59   #4667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Exactly, I never thought like Rajneesh even when Amazon store was not available on BB10 but, with Amazon store ( never used SNAP) lack of apps difference is finally brought much closer (well, i dont care if Android or IOS has 10 million apps vs 500K on BB...In reality nobody can even explore those many apps let alone use it)
True but with Snap even the 10 million app world is yours on BB, if that kind of thing is important to you. Sometimes one needs some obscure app, which is really only available on IOS or Android, for example, the VW India service app.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:43   #4668
BHPian

Quote:
Iam still surprised to see that no member has bought a Blackberry Passport yet.

Was expecting some sort of review here....

I still have a month before I can lay my hands on my passport
Using Passport since launch (Oct 4), currently running the latest "leaked" version which allows me to run the need OneNote and WebEx Android app, surprisingly the BB WebEx app doesn't work on Passport! more detail of my passport on twitter.com/pksmobile

-Pramod
Old 18th December 2014, 10:46   #4669
BHPian

What are the views on BB Classic? 30K is the current USA price, probably would be 40K in India.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:56   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
True but with Snap even the 10 million app world is yours on BB, if that kind of thing is important to you. Sometimes one needs some obscure app, which is really only available on IOS or Android, for example, the VW India service app.
Guys, It is true that a lot more apps are available due to Blackberry tying up with Amazon for its app store. For people who are willing to spend time and the effor there may be other means of getting the same job acomplished without using the App ( as explained by Starscream with respect to the Uber app).

It is also true that we do not use too many apps. However, A smat phone is used differently by different people and it enables them to personalise the phoenes. A smaller App base restricts this ability to customise a phone to a persons specific needs.

The maps app which came loaded with my Q5 is ather basic. Moreover, as a person on the go I really find some apps useful thd this is where the BB loses out to competition ( esp Android and IOS).

I may be off the mark, but the new bolt user may not be able to connect the cars navigation option with a BB .
Old 18th December 2014, 19:36   #4671
BHPian

Sold my passport today, even though I loved it carrying it was a task for me. Bought a z30 just to fill the void the passport left :(
Old 26th December 2014, 12:48   #4672
BHPian

I recently found a very useful feature on BBM, called Glympse. It allows you to let some track your location, for a fixed period of time. So, theoretically, my wife can 'glympse' me when she starts from office and I can track her all the way home. I don't have to call her and ask if she is stuck in traffic.

Very useful feature of BBM, especially for women. I believe, it should be heavily advertised in our country.

Source: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/05/...hings-glympse/
Old 29th December 2014, 16:00   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Rohan, Iam yet to come across a bad review of the Passport

Can you highlight what you "dont" like about the phone? I think that would be more interesting to know

So was it 41K for the phone? Also, does your blackberry warranty applicable in India?
Sorry! i missed this post. Did not get the "you have been quoted" email.

What i dont like about the phone is that i just cant seem to use any other instrument now! The 5S feels like a toy in my hand and i am making frequent typing errors!

The keypad is such a joy to use! The battery lasts upto 48 hours and in the same time the 5s is charged atleast 3 times.

I havent faced a single issue with the size. Took the ninja out for a ride this weekend and the phone was comfortably placed in my jean's pocket.

I was informed that the warranty is global and in the unlikely event its not honored in India, i can easily send the phone back to Kuwait (some visits atleast once a month).

Even i am yet to come across a white or a red passport, but have seen covers of the same color. Picked up black for myself. Cant be seen in court using a big white/red phone!

Cheers
Rohan
Old 31st December 2014, 09:19   #4674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
Sold my passport today, even though I loved it carrying it was a task for me. Bought a z30 just to fill the void the passport left
Sad to know that. How about a short comparison of the Passport vs. Z3 in terms of peformance, ease of use, typing, battery life etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I recently found a very useful feature on BBM, called Glympse.
It's an old feature and I think iam using this for about a year now. I agree its a useful feature and very few people in India actually know or use it ( relative to the less no of blackberry users in india/abroad)

Quote:
What i dont like about the phone is that i just cant seem to use any other instrument now!
Nice. Thanks for this review. I think it echoes what everyone who has bought it is saying.

Last week, I tried looking for this phone in several malls in Delhi and unfortunately not a single big mall has even a counter for blackberry

Just 2 weeks to go before I get mine and agree that in professional environment only black is more acceptable
Old 31st December 2014, 10:05   #4675
BHPian

Quote:
Nice. Thanks for this review. I think it echoes what everyone who has bought it is saying.

Last week, I tried looking for this phone in several malls in Delhi and unfortunately not a single big mall has even a counter for blackberry

Just 2 weeks to go before I get mine and agree that in professional environment only black is more acceptable

Should have just dropped in a line while you were here! You could have done real time testing with my passport. Even when I was searching for a passport in Delhi no one could show a working demo handset. Just the dummy. Sad.
Old 31st December 2014, 10:31   #4676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should have just dropped in a line while you were here!
Thanks for the offer. Iam still in Delhi but, reckon will just wait next 2 excruciating weeks to lay hands on my passport
Old 31st December 2014, 18:46   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Was looking for the Classic but the same was out of stock. On a whim ordered the Passport and now it is up to Amazon Prime to deliver before my friend starts from the U.S. this weekend. It's either a few days wait or else return.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:31   #4678
BHPian

Quote:
Should have just dropped in a line while you were here! You could have done real time testing with my passport. Even when I was searching for a passport in Delhi no one could show a working demo handset. Just the dummy. Sad.
the Blackberry outlet in DLF Promenade has a passport on display but i didnt check whether it was a dummy or a real piece!
Old 5th January 2015, 14:03   #4679
BANNED

May anyone help me with info whether passport runs app like Airtel Wynk , Saavn , Real Racing 3 , Google Maps . I can use WAP site for Saavn but it willnot let me listen offline .
Old 20th January 2015, 14:12   #4680
Senior - BHPian

BB Passport - This is one phone I have been considering for my wife since she already uses a 'wide' phone - the LG Optimus Vu II - and she is happy with the phone and the form factor.

Nevertheless, for those looking for a cheap Passport, without warranty, head over to ebay

Which of these apps are available without any limitations for Passport?
1. WhatsApp
2. Hangouts
3. Gmail
4. Outlook
5. Chrome or some web browser
6. Some note taking app
7. Some reminder app
8. Some alarm feature
9. Some light-weight photo editing software
10. Youtube
11. Facebook
12. Facebook messenger