Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 11:16   #4741
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

After having used the BB for 6 years and then switched to Android for 3 years, I am finally back to the BB world! Bought the Z10 and wow what an experience as compared to the android. The Z10 is so well crafted and functions as it should. Email is the prime reason which made me come back to BB. More experiences as I continue to use the device...
Old 21st October 2015, 19:39   #4742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
After having used the BB for 6 years and then switched to Android for 3 years, I am finally back to the BB world! Bought the Z10 and wow what an experience as compared to the android. The Z10 is so well crafted and functions as it should. Email is the prime reason which made me come back to BB. More experiences as I continue to use the device...
Quick query, did you get a new Z10 and if yes from where?? Z10 is officially discontinued as per the authorized blackberry store guy. Also do you have the official BB India warranty of 18 months for the phone and 6 months for the inbox accessories?
Old 26th October 2015, 11:15   #4743
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope someone can help quickly with this.
My father is stuck on blackberry. I am trying to get him to shift, and he agreed very half heartedly. He checked out the Passport, and brings it up every time I try to talk him into retiring his aging BB.
So anyway, someone I know is coming down from the US, and amazon.com has some pretty good deals on refurbished/used, even new Passports.
I am confused as which one should I buy to ensure it works in India?
Factory unlocked? No-contract?
What band should I confirm? any scope of warranties?
Old 26th October 2015, 12:14   #4744
BHPian

It should be factory unlocked. Warranty doesn't work here.
Old 26th October 2015, 12:49   #4745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My father is stuck on blackberry. I am trying to get him to shift, and he agreed very half heartedly. He checked out the Passport, and brings it up every time I try to talk him into retiring his aging BB.
So anyway, someone I know is coming down from the US, and amazon.com has some pretty good deals on refurbished/used, even new Passports.
Mayank i have been using the Passport since November/December last year. Brilliant phone and the size isnt an issue for me. I got mine from Kuwait and its the factory unlocked version. For warranty claims, i would have to send it back.

Works flawlessly!

Rohan
Old 26th October 2015, 13:04   #4746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
It should be factory unlocked. Warranty doesn't work here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Mayank i have been using the Passport since November/December last year. Brilliant phone and the size isnt an issue for me. I got mine from Kuwait and its the factory unlocked version. For warranty claims, i would have to send it back.

Works flawlessly!

Rohan
Great.
So it ought to be factory unlocked, which basically means take it, its the whole thing, no restrictions. Use it anywhere in the world(?)
I should not have any issues about bands and other things for a US bought one for use in India?
Old 26th October 2015, 14:42   #4747
Senior - BHPian

They will all work except for on 4G as the bands used in the US and here are different. I got a Classic from the US as soon as it was launched and it works flawlessly except for the 4G network.

No need to shift either. I would draw your attention towards the upcoming BB Priv. This is a BB complete with a true blue physical keyboard c/w the security features running on Android.

http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...at-699/156459/

http://techpp.com/2015/10/21/blackbe...v-india-price/

Quote:
Old 28th October 2015, 18:12   #4748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Quick query, did you get a new Z10 and if yes from where?? Z10 is officially discontinued as per the authorized blackberry store guy. Also do you have the official BB India warranty of 18 months for the phone and 6 months for the inbox accessories?
Yes it is not available here. I asked my cousin to get it from the US, got the verizon logo as well on the device. It also says 4G LTE, not yet tested it as my sim is 3G only for now.

I believe imported devices are available on ebay as well...

Last edited by sumathindra : 28th October 2015 at 18:16. Reason: edits
Old 28th October 2015, 18:14   #4749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yes it is not available here. I asked my cousin to get it from the US, got the verizon logo as well on the device.

I believe imported devices are available on ebay as well...
Thanks for the response. So it was the factory unlocked version i guess. The ebay one's are dicey and not all are legit. Hence the hesitation to go the ebay route.
Old 28th October 2015, 21:22   #4750
BHPian

Guys, Need advise. Does picking up a passport make sense now given where BB is headed? I am in need a device that can take of my email/messaging needs.

I thinking of a little used one with manufacturer warranty left. The device seems to be priced higher in India compared to the prices I see on Amazon.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:17   #4751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused as which one should I buy to ensure it works in India?Factory unlocked? No-contract?
I bought a Blackberry Passport in US and used it in USA for more than 8 months and then sold it here in India and moved to IPhone 6+

I must confess that Passport is a brilliant phone and just because of a few unavailable apps and company stopped supporting emails I had to move out of BB ecosystem which I was part of for more than a decade

You can buy the Passport with eyes closed and don't worry about company status as it will not shut down anytime soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
They will all work except for on 4G as the bands used in the US and here are different.
As soon as I returned, I got myself an Airtel 4G SIM and my phone used to work on that network fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Guys, Need advise. Does picking up a passport make sense now given where BB is headed? I am in need a device that can take of my email/messaging needs.
Go for the Passport with eyes closed. Just be informed of below issues with passport :

1. Lesser app availability

2. Screen flickers in text screen ( its a minor irritant and not an issue)

3. Wide and robust built ( Some like it and some hate it--I loved it)
Old 6th November 2015, 23:40   #4752
BHPian

Went from BlackBerry Passport to WhiteBerry Passport.

2014 DEC Make.

Keys feel more tactile, better battery compared to my black. Loud as hell loudspeakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-pict0024.jpg  

Old 14th November 2015, 10:25   #4753
BHPian

Congrats Ford5, I too used passport last year but then sold it off. Tried 3 different markets yesterday in Delhi as felt like shifting from my note edge to the passport but surprisingly no shop had any BB phone, I tried rajouri garden, DC janakpuri and Tilak nagar markets!! One guy was quoting 45k that too where I had to place an order, eventually picked up a G4 with a heavy heart!
I hope this isn't the end for BB... I am a BB fan since 2004
Old 14th November 2015, 13:01   #4754
Senior - BHPian

Did that too but still stuck on 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As soon as I returned, I got myself an Airtel 4G SIM and my phone used to work on that network fine.
Old 17th November 2015, 21:18   #4755
BHPian

I got a Blackberry Leap from my office today. Its my first bb on OS 10 without a physical keyboard.

One gripe is that I can't Speed Dial from the home screen. Earlier, while driving I could 'feel' the alphabets using my fingers and press an alphabet, to say call my home. All this without removing my eyes from the road.

But with this phone I can't do this. I can't even create a shortcut on the homescreen for a contact. To use Speed Dial, I need to unlock the phone using the password, go to the "Phone" app, long press a number to make the call. It shouldn't be called a Speed Dial in my opinion.

Most Viewed