Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 19:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
3. Any idea how well does BB Pearl integrate with Nokia's Symbian? If I want to transfer contacts and calendar entries from my Nokia to BB Pearl, how easy/frustrating would it be?
Path with least pain:

1. Install MS Outlook (If you don't have it already)
2. Import ALL contacts/calender entries into MS Outlook. Straightforward with Nokia PC Suite.
3. Outlook will push things to your IMAP/MS Exchange account + address book while PC Suite is importing things into it.
4. Setup BB
5. Import from MS Outlook

OR

BB can directly import from MS Exchange (that saves step 4 and 5)
Old 19th September 2008, 11:04   #32
Team-BHP Support

Shaju: another friend also recommended How do you configure Opera mini browser for T-Mobile? - PinStack.com Forums and this thread should resolve the issue of connectivity
Old 19th September 2008, 12:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I got it from mobilestore for 24990/- with a scratch and win offer of 10k worth travel discount coupons. Vodafone and airtel are offering the handset locked. You might get the unlocked version only in the grey market.
Why I asked is because I was not sure whether Mobile Store sells the locked or the unlocked version.

I am getting the Curve 8300 for Rs 15k (unlocked, grey) but that sounds like a very good deal so was curious to know the authenticity of the same.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:42   #34
BHPian

@nishant
where are you getting the curve for 15k's as i need to buy it urgently. my 9300i has conked and its with nokia since 4 days & i'm totally fed up.

thanx,
anil
Old 19th September 2008, 13:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
@nishant
where are you getting the curve for 15k's as i need to buy it urgently. my 9300i has conked and its with nokia since 4 days & i'm totally fed up.

thanx,
anil
Have PM'ed you the details. You can take my name as a reference there.
Old 19th September 2008, 15:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not sure whether Mobile Store sells the locked or the unlocked version.
Anybody who sells blackberry in India officially deal with only locked handsets, as I have cross checked with few dealers. Although mobilestore sales guys told me they are giving unlocked set, I realised they were not aware of what they are selling. Someone told me unlocking is as simple as sending an email to the network provider stating that "you are going out of India for sometime and you want to unlock your BB for overseas use" should work. I havent tried, because I am an airtel customer since 2 years and I dont find any reason to change.

Quote:
I am getting the Curve 8300 for Rs 15k (unlocked, grey) but that sounds like a very good deal so was curious to know the authenticity of the same.
Its beyond comparison to discuss official price with warranty and a grey market rate without any warranty ! If I have some issue with my phone I can always give it for an official repair, which is peace of mind. Grey market options are either test your luck or dump the phone. I usually compare with the grey market prices before buying anything. But when it came to BB, I didnt want to take a chance.

OT: Canon IXUS 800 IS (Original Made in Japan, Not for sale outside Japan) I got for 13k with 1 GB sandisk card and a lovely leather cover (March 2007). I checked the canon authorised showrooms in the city and found the same model only available made in china for 20k. Leather cover 500 something, 1GB card 2k. So in effect I saved 10k in the deal, got the original Japan, but when it comes to a complaint, I will have less choices.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:48   #37
BHPian

Blackberry Bold

Blackberry Bold has been released in India from Airtel, Vodafone and Reliance.
Tech2.com India > BlackBerry Bold Launched in India > News on Mobile Phones Mobile
MRP is Rs34,990
Old 19th September 2008, 17:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, coming to the cost part, I have subscribed to the Prosumer Unlimited monthly plan of Rs.899/-. There are no other costs, no deposits, no activation fee. Its counted on a pro-rata basis, which comes to around Rs.30/- per day. I would recomend this plan to everyone, because other plans are meant for casual users, which will empty your bank account in no time. I mean it.
Shaju, just to clarify, are you using BlackBerry to check mostly your Gmail/Yahoo/Rediff/(Other web based free email a/cs) or your corporate account as well?

And your voice calls (STD/ISD)+monthly rental+SMS+voice roaming is extra over this amount right?

I was checking on Vodafone Mumbai site and it lists BES service for Rs 1099 pm (unlimited) and BIS service for Rs 899 pm (unlimited). I guess the former plan is suited for enterprises having their own BB servers while the latter is ore suited to individuals.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 19th September 2008 at 17:05.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody who sells blackberry in India officially deal with only locked handsets, as I have cross checked with few dealers. Although mobilestore sales guys told me they are giving unlocked set, I realised they were not aware of what they are selling. Someone told me unlocking is as simple as sending an email to the network provider stating that "you are going out of India for sometime and you want to unlock your BB for overseas use" should work. I havent tried, because I am an airtel customer since 2 years and I dont find any reason to change.

Its beyond comparison to discuss official price with warranty and a grey market rate without any warranty ! If I have some issue with my phone I can always give it for an official repair, which is peace of mind. Grey market options are either test your luck or dump the phone. I usually compare with the grey market prices before buying anything. But when it came to BB, I didnt want to take a chance.
I agree. But my dealer is giving 1 year warranty on software and 6 months on handset so its kinda ok.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
are you using BlackBerry to check mostly your Gmail/Yahoo/Rediff/(Other web based free email a/cs) or your corporate account as well?
And your voice calls (STD/ISD)+monthly rental+SMS+voice roaming is extra over this amount right?
I have configured yahoo, hotmail, gmail and my official domain based mail into BB. Its instant delivery of emails to the handset. And the voice plan, rent, roaming etc. is purely a call plan, nothing related to BB service. As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, if you are spending 10 hours a day on a broadband PC, BB service is a waste of money. Its a great service if you are always on the move or travelling for a week or more. But if you are on a corporate plan paid by the company, close your eyes and enjoy the best of it. cheers:

BES = Blackberrry Enterprise Server (corporate plan)
BIS = Blackberry Internet Service (prosumer/individual)

Quote:
I agree. But my dealer is giving 1 year warranty on software and 6 months on handset so its kinda ok.
With the warranty, its a great deal, no doubt, no arguements. Please make sure you are getting the original blackberry (Made in CANADA) for that price !
Old 20th September 2008, 03:38   #41

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Hey guys,budget not being an issue, which blackberry handset is the best to buy??Is the blackberry bold available and any good??
Old 20th September 2008, 09:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
Hey guys,budget not being an issue, which blackberry handset is the best to buy??Is the blackberry bold available and any good??
BB Bold is the best. It's priced at RS35k. Available now or within the week on Airtel, Vodaphone and Reliance. (See my post above).
Having read the international reviews, the Bold is the best BB by far and gives a running as one of the best handsets available.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
I might ask you just one question before telling what is best ! Do you want to carry a slim, cute, sexy and under 100 grams phone with every business & entertainment features one might use ? OR do you want to go for a 100% business phone with a wider body (qwerty keys), more heavy but sexy look, every business features under the sky etc. ? Former winner will be a BB Pearl and the latter winner will be BB Bold.

I was using a Nokia E62 before going for Pearl. Comparing the features, size and practical usage, I find myself equal to driving a ferrari after being in the Hummer for a long time ! Cant compare better ! cheers:
Old 20th September 2008, 15:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I am confused here, 1 year warranty on software ? and 6 m for the handset ? Its a blackberry right ?

Second question - is the software warranty independent of the handset it was sold with ? or you can install the application to another phone and use it there & the warranty will remain for the balance of one year ?

Do advice.

regards

M M
Old 20th September 2008, 16:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
I am confused here, 1 year warranty on software ? and 6 m for the handset ? Its a blackberry right ?
A point which I didnt notice !! I have an airtel locked BB pearl with a 1 year warranty for the handset & the software whatever comes as default factory stuff. So, I have no clue how a grey market can seperate warranty of handset and software with different time frames ! More gyan on this from nishant is appreciated !

Google Maps: Its a great tool and I just started using it 2 days back. Although an active GPS is not attached with the handset, google map shows you 90% accuracy in "your current spot" with a blue blinking dot. Presently google is doing it spotting the nearest network tower. I am waiting to get lost in some forests to get the real potential of this feature !

Most Viewed