Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-110.html)

Quote:

If Apple were to make this, it would fly off the shelves.
So true. And call it I-Eye. Its conceptually great but i am not sure about the pricing. May be i am sold yet on this innovation.

I wont mind a camera suit though which has like multiple camera around the body or say a car to create a 3D view of the car for safe driving including potential hazard, pedestrian and other predictions.

The 3D view should be similar to view from the Sky that makes your driving much more easier with clear Red lines indicating any change of movement that can cause potential accidents.

But this is mirrorless forum :). I just want the sony 85mm F1.4 to be launched now. Having sold some gears i am ready with the funds to get the 85mm or i wont mind a 135mm from the Sony stable for the FE mounts.

If the image quality should be good enough with Light, I'm sold for it. It is extremely portable for what it claims to offer!

A7rII Some pictures. Growing on me. Its with a 35mm F1.4. The DOF is wafer thin but still pretty decent for some fun shots. The camera AF is pretty good in that DOF. The eye focus is brilliant for shooting portraits.

So today got a chance to play with A7s. I am slowly getting addicted to A7s over the A7rII though i like the crop capability. But here is what the camera can see.

Pictures from 1600, F1.4, 1/160 with ISO upto Max in steps for 1600

Team

Light 16 - If you are interested, use the below promo code to get additional 400$. The camera can be got at 899 instead of 1699 with the below code.

FFBL14

If the above code doesnt work, go to this link and select the top code.

http://www.couponsock.com/store-coupons/light.co

Hope this helps others. I just blocked an order with minimal payment. The delivery is expected late August i guess. So have time to cancel anytime.

I was at Yodobashi camera in Akihabara today. Oh man... it is true camera heaven. Think of a camera or lens, they had it in stock and a demo piece to hook your camera and test. I believe it was the same shop where my friend bought my OMD EM5 mkII in Jan. Today I was back there with the same camera on my back.

Too bad I had no camera/lens to buy, just picked up couple lens caps.

Quote:

Too bad I had no camera/lens to buy, just picked up couple lens caps
Were they cheaper than getting it in India. I found thailand to be cheaper but that was when Rupees was strong. But the last time i went there the prices were actually almost the same compared to India.

Anyway not a new lens or new body buyer by any means. I usually go after used equipments to save and so far has worked in my favor.

A quick comparison of the A7rII and the A7s. I have been fortunate enough to use these cameras for quite some time now. And now having sold the A7RII and have the A7s i wanted to share some updates.

When do you need A7s-

- Absolutely low light action scenes
- When you are absolutely sure you won’t be printing big and will be using only for web
- When AF is not as critical
- When you want something light to travel with. Combine with a Summicron lens and you have the smallest yet the sharpest and most amazing set up
- video, video video - The options you have in those low lights and video are enormous.

A7RII

The noise characteristics are fairly the same if you are looking at upto ISO12800 or even 25600. The A7s will have a more film like profile due to bigger sensor.

The AF is A7RII is many time better than A7s. The A7s will struggle but the A7rII will latch on to Subject or even eyes like no other camera in the world.

The low light AF on A7S will beat the A7RII which will start to struggle in lowlights.

The most important advantage is the ability to crop. The 42MP is so much that with a 200mm lens you can shoot wildlife as good as a 600mm lens with at least 8MP image to print. No kidding there. Shoot a wide angle shot and convert it into Tele in a second and the details are all intact.

Recommendations:-

Choose A7rII if you are not doing video, ok with file size(yes 1TB is SMALL for A7rII), need AF, don’t need insane ISO or never going to shoot action at nights etc.

Chose A7SII or A7s only if you are after video, need those highest ISO's and are mostly web user where 12MB files are perfectly fine.

I would chose the A7rII over the A7s or have them both (Now that prices have stabilized) to complement each other.

A7rII with say a 120-300 Sigma lens and a converter can give a good run for the money for some long zoom wildlife knowing that you can crop so much to get a 8MP image making the virtual zoom a great option

It's been a while that I have been considering to replace my Sony NEX-6 and I have been contemplating to go FF with the Sony A7 bodies. I'm not so convinced with the currently existing Sony FF range of cameras. Either they are pricey (like the A7RII) or they are just FF for the sake of being Full Frame like the A7II which in my opinion is definitely not an option if you already own an APS-C format camera like the Sony NEX-6.

I'm looking now at the Olympus OMD-EM5-Mk-II, with the 12-40mm PRO lens. As a package, I like this combination and there are some good offers for a grab right now. I however have a couple of questions on the micro four thirds system as such:

1. With the smaller sensor, what best could I do to get that shallow DOF?

2. Is there a DOF preview on the OMD-EM5-Mk-II?

3. How is the battery life? My usage would be 60% stills and 40% videos. Should I consider getting additional batteries?

4. How does this compare with the OMD-EM-1? Should I consider the EM-1?

5. What about the additional battery grip? If I decide to go for the OMD-EM-5-Mk-II, I'm planning to get the grip as well.

6. I'm more inclined to the Silver version of the OMD. What do you guys think? Should I go for the black over the Silver? To me the Silver looks a lot retro'ish! What is with the limited edition Titanium?

Quote:

Either they are pricey (like the A7RII) or they are just FF for the sake of being Full Frame like the A7II which in my opinion is definitely not an upgrade option if you already own an APS-C format camera.
I don't know what you mean by being a FF for a sake. For a sake of what. The A7II is a brilliant camera and a wonderful upgrade to the already excellent A7. It does appear you like the OMD EM5 which is a different thing to saying A7II is not an upgrade option. From the looks of you are hardly invested in Sony and you have a Sony NEX-6. The A7II is an upgrade for even the original A7 and the Nex-6 is not even the same bracket as A7 series.

The lenses that NEx series carry are personally to say inferior to full frame offering at this point.

But coming back to Olympus. The EM5-MK II is a fantastic camera. Couple it with the legendary 75mm and the 40-150 and the 7-14 would be my choice. I may skip the 12-40 but that's me.

Also there are some really super fast lenses for the Micro world and third party non AF lenses that can give unique perspective.

The Olympus is a fantastic choice for both audio and video. (though i may tilt towards the Panasonic GH4 for pure video).

Dont worry about DOF. You will hardly see a difference. The 18-55 of Fuji makes terrific DOF images comparable and better in some cases to other cameras i have used. Also check those 0.95 lenses for the 4/3rds. You can get good speed and good DOF.

Silver or black is a choice. Many prefer black, while some like the silver. Blacks are actually easy to sell when you decide to sell for i dont know whatever reason.

Grip/No Grip - Again your personal usage to define this. I never like additional grip in my cameras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 3864163)
I'm looking now at the Olympus OMD-EM5-Mk-II, with the 12-40mm PRO lens. As a package, I like this combination and there are some good offers for a grab right now. I however have a couple of questions on the micro four thirds system as such:

1. With the smaller sensor, what best could I do to get that shallow DOF?

2. Is there a DOF preview on the OMD-EM5-Mk-II?

3. How is the battery life? My usage would be 60% stills and 40% videos. Should I consider getting additional batteries?

4. How does this compare with the OMD-EM-1? Should I consider the EM-1?

5. What about the additional battery grip? If I decide to go for the OMD-EM-5-Mk-II, I'm planning to get the grip as well.

6. I'm more inclined to the Silver version of the OMD. What do you guys think? Should I go for the black over the Silver? To me the Silver looks a lot retro'ish! What is with the limited edition Titanium?

I have the black OMD-EM5-MkII, I also have the additional battery grip and the additional grip. In honesty I rarely use the battery grip, but the extra grip that provides an extra shutter button and a slightly better, bulky grip on the body is very usefull,

I have the 12-40 and the 40-150 Pro lenses and they are really, really good. Shallow DOF isnt really an issue at all and you can get beautifull bokeh too. DOF preview button comes standard on the camera.

I had the original EM5 but that broke a few months ago whilst in Singapore. Was expensive to get it repaired so decided to go for the MKII which I absolutely love!

There are several dedicated OMD forums, also on Facebook, and they will give you good impression of what this camera, in capable hands, can do. Lots of debate on EM5 MKII versus EM-1. There really isnt that much between them, probably a lot down to personal preference and maybe the odd specific requirement that might swing it. Personall I prefer my MKii compared to the -1 on visuals alone!

I hardly use video, but I will get 350-450 shots easily from one battery. I carry four just in case. I shoot everything in RAW plus JPEG.

The auto stabilisation on the MKII is just phenomenal.

Enjoy,

Jeroen

Reasons why I would choose OMD over A7 II are:

1. OMD claims to have better, faster AF than A7 II

2. Much smaller body and travel light, which I definitely want

3. Excellent choice of fast zoom lenses

I'm not saying that the A7 II is not good enough, but looking at the system on the whole, the NEX line up (as it is called originally) has been lacking proper lenses and other accessories. When I bought the NEX-6, there was very little available options for the lenses, TTL flash etc., I wanted to have a native fast zoom lens f28 24-70mm and it is not available even today.

When I thought about upgrading to the A7 II last month, I'm still left with the same problem, no proper fast zoom native lens in the focal length that I want. It might take another 2 to 3 years or so for the A7 system to mature. I'm sure by then there would be other players in the market as well. Who knows, Sony might completely dump the E-Mount and bring something new all-together!

Quote:

It might take another 2 to 3 years or so for the A7 system to mature. I'm sure by then there would be other players in the market as well. Who knows, Sony might completely dump the E-Mount and bring something new all-together
They would never dump the mount. The system is fairly new and it has tremendous support in terms of new lenses. The batis series is still in high demand where used lenses are selling more than new lenses. The flexibility to use any mount lens on that Sony makes it an easy option for many.

But i hear you. For folks who love zoom the native lens collection is minimal. There is a clear road map but this is Sony. The A7II has another 8 months before A7III will pop out :)

I disagree that the system is not mature. I have both the Sony and Fuji while my friend have both the olympus and Sony. He uses both extensively but prefers the Sony for various reasons.

We mostly shoot prime and dont have any zoom and never needed zoom. We have some standard super wide angle, a fast 35, a fast 55, niche 75mm and if needed the 90mm macro. The newer series have better AF as well for those who want AF.

The olympus as i wrote earlier is a stunning combination with those pro lenses. The 75mm is my fav there as well.

Sony is expected to release few lenses in the coming months. But i dont see a fast standard zoom. They are still sticking to F4 at this point.

Olympus is better of for the size and form factor and has a stunning AF module as well. Olympus AF is the best in mirrorless market. Sony is probably getting there but Olympus has cracked it really well.

Looking at what Sony did to the A Mount and what they are doing with the APS-C E-Mount, I'm placing my doubts on the Full Format E-Mount! There was no lens released in the last 2 years for the APS-C E-Mount cameras. Most of those who buy these cameras are just not buying for the sake of the Cameras, but they are buying into the system. 3 years ago, I was so enthusiastic and confident on the NEX mount, hoping that I will have choices a couple of years later. Here I'am after 3 years, I did not see it happen. I'm still happy with my NEX-6, but I definitely want a fast zoom which is never going to happen in the next couple of years.

I tried going full manual on my NEX-6 with some Minolta lenses and an appropriate adapter. Even though it was interesting, my main purpose of using the camera is to capture those spontaneous candid moments. So, a very good AF becomes a necessity. So weighing in all the options, I made up my mind to go for the OMD-EM-5 MK II.

If there was a 24-70 f2.8 native E-Mount FF lens available, I would have bought the A7 MK II.

There is a 24-70 F2.8 FE mount on cards. Sony alpha rumours has reported the same.

I've been using A7 Mk II since few months now. Except the under powered battery this little camera is functioning well. I just have two primes as of now. Zeiss 35mm and the zeiss batis, 85mm received few days back. Yet to test it out.