Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 15:08   #2101
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,832
Thanked: 11,187 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have an L bracket, which is marked as a6300-compatible. I recall reading that it fits the a6300 and the a6000, but not the a6500. I'll see.
For the record... The Sunwayfoto psl-a6300 bracket does not quite fit the a6500. It can be made to do so by a little work with a file. I like to keep the bottom plate attached: it is a big help when holding the camera vertical
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 10:02   #2102
BHPian
 
avimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Anyone having experience with canon RF lenses? I dont see any review from dxomark yet.
I guess newer RF lens with canon mirrorless will be very good combination.
avimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 09:31   #2103
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,843
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I am planning to sell my 6 year old Canon 600D and go for something smaller and newer.

I am confused about micro 4/3 or APS-C. Can you please advise?
One shortcoming with the Canon 600D is the lack of in-built HDR mode which results in poor image with bright background unless you do additional processing. Also, I am not a person to shoot in RAW and then do post-processing. I want the JPEG quality to be very good right out of the camera.

I went through a few reviews etc and shortlisted the following APS-C ones -
SOny a6000/a6300/6400
Fuji XE3/XT20

Any advice about the above or any other recommendations?
Please note that size is a big consideration for me. So, smaller the lenses the better.
I am planning to have an all purpose lens fitted and not change lenses often (might have a prime just for portraits). Since I like to shoot landscapes, the 16-50 lens on the Sony offers advantage over the 18-55 Fuji lens.
Also, the a6000 is available at a pretty low price. I understand it is 5 years old but seems to serve the purpose. Should I go for it?
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 09:48   #2104
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,831
Thanked: 4,410 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

@adimicra; Both your options are not proper camera/lensmakers. I may add that service of Nikon is far more common than for Canon & Olympus. This what made mw switch back to Nikon. I had moved to Olympus / Canon quite a few years ago.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 10:01   #2105
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,843
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@adimicra; Both your options are not proper camera/lensmakers. I may add that service of Nikon is far more common than for Canon & Olympus. This what made mw switch back to Nikon. I had moved to Olympus / Canon quite a few years ago.
I hope you are not kidding.
In mirrorless cameras, Fuji and Sony are among the top manufacturers and started much before Canon/Nikon
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 10:01   #2106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 214
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am planning to sell my 6 year old Canon 600D and go for something smaller and newer.

I am confused about micro 4/3 or APS-C. Can you please advise?
One shortcoming with the Canon 600D is the lack of in-built HDR mode which results in poor image with bright background unless you do additional processing. Also, I am not a person to shoot in RAW and then do post-processing. I want the JPEG quality to be very good right out of the camera.

I went through a few reviews etc and shortlisted the following APS-C ones -
SOny a6000/a6300/6400
Fuji XE3/XT20

Any advice about the above or any other recommendations?
Please note that size is a big consideration for me. So, smaller the lenses the better.
I am planning to have an all purpose lens fitted and not change lenses often (might have a prime just for portraits). Since I like to shoot landscapes, the 16-50 lens on the Sony offers advantage over the 18-55 Fuji lens.
Also, the a6000 is available at a pretty low price. I understand it is 5 years old but seems to serve the purpose. Should I go for it?
I considered long and hard about Sony A6000/A6300 and also Canon M50. Bit finally switched to Micro 4/3 i.e. Olympus EM10 Mk3. It's light weight, compact and gives you great JPEG out of camera. And it's lens collection is amazing - again compact! The design is cool with retro look and I find all the controls and dials spot on.
Do take a look at reviews online.
dmplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 10:06   #2107
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,522 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Everything changed with the advent of mirrorless. Olympus has the best models in this segment. I'm content with one of the first mirrorless introduced by Canon, and I'm not using a secondary lens till date. It's weather-beaten for sure! Regarding service, it was only a harness latch that I procured in Singapore, and it has not required any care. I need to stress here that my usage is quite heavy, and even the original battery has held up!



Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I may add that service of Nikon is far more common than for Canon & Olympus.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-img_6344.jpg  

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 12:26   #2108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,596
Thanked: 14,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@adimicra; Both your options are not proper camera/lensmakers..

Why and what relevance?
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 17:18   #2109
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,832
Thanked: 11,187 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@adimicra; Both your options are not proper camera/lensmakers. I may add that service of Nikon is far more common than for Canon & Olympus. This what made mw switch back to Nikon. I had moved to Olympus / Canon quite a few years ago.
Doubts about Sony service may be valid, but the rest of your post certainly is not.

About a6000, which is increasingly good value for money as it gets older, I don't recommend the 18-50, which I just keep on the shelf. It makes for a neat package, and is probably fine for the sunny outdoors. Only.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 00:48   #2110
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,843
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I considered long and hard about Sony A6000/A6300 and also Canon M50. Bit finally switched to Micro 4/3 i.e. Olympus EM10 Mk3. It's light weight, compact and gives you great JPEG out of camera. And it's lens collection is amazing - again compact! The design is cool with retro look and I find all the controls and dials spot on.
Do take a look at reviews online.
I have also looked at the olympus cameras. I am wondering why you chose the Olympus EM10 Mk3. I am little skeptical of choosing a micro 4/3rd sensor as it is much smaller than the APSC and might not provide significant benefits over a flagship smartphone like a Pixel/S10. Which lens are you using/planning to use with the Olympus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Doubts about Sony service may be valid, but the rest of your post certainly is not.

About a6000, which is increasingly good value for money as it gets older, I don't recommend the 18-50, which I just keep on the shelf. It makes for a neat package, and is probably fine for the sunny outdoors. Only.
Which lens you recommend for the Sony a6000 as an all-purpose lens. As I said, I am looking for portability with acceptable image quality. I tend to shoot more at the wide angle. So the 16-50 lens for the sony (effectively 24-100) provides a great range for me and should cover 95% of my needs. I can have a fast prime lens later for indoors/portrait shots.

So far, I am leaning towards the Sony.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 04:03   #2111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,832
Thanked: 11,187 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Which lens you recommend for the Sony a6000 as an all-purpose lens. As I said, I am looking for portability with acceptable image quality. I tend to shoot more at the wide angle. So the 16-50 lens for the sony (effectively 24-100) provides a great range for me and should cover 95% of my needs. I can have a fast prime lens later for indoors/portrait shots.
I've only been using these cameras a couple of years, so don't feel that I have the experience to give a good answer. I moved to this kind of camera to get better results than I could get from my compact p&s: I didn't feel that the 16-50 delivered, in the environment of most of my photos. I bought an a6000+2-lens kit. the 55-210 I feel to produce better quality images, but it it not fast enough for me.

Both those lenses stay on the shelf. In my camera bag:

Sony 50/1.8 OSS
Sigma 30/1.4
Tamron 90/2.5, old and fully manual

I'm waiting until I can buy the Sony 85.

These are the lenses for my particular use. They don't really cover stuff like landscapes or wildlife. If want the most general-use lens, I put on the Sigma --- it's the closest I have to a full frame "standard" lens.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 11:21   #2112
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,974
Thanked: 26,860 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Which lens you recommend for the Sony a6000 as an all-purpose lens.
I bought the Sony 18-105 f/4 -- and its a good enough lens, but its HUGE.

So I'd suggest sticking to the kit lens and getting an additional prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sony 50/1.8 OSS
Awfully slow to focus, right? Which is extra frustrating on these Sonys that once upon a time not so long ago held the title of "fastest autofocus".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sigma 30/1.4
Really lusting after this one myself!!
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 11:44   #2113
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,843
Thanked: 1,474 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Thanks for the replies.
I am feeling considering my usage Sony 6000/6300 with kit lens should be good enough.
I will go to the store and check the size and handling.

I am open to m4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic but I don't understand the benefit of those over something like a Sony a6000. I don't think there is a big difference in size/portability. Also, please note that I am a Canon 600D user for 5+ years and used to certain image quality which I would not like to drop significantly. I normally use the Tamro 17-50 F2.8 lens with my Canon 600D which is great but makes the camera bulky and difficult to carry.

On the other hand, if I want something really pocketable, the Sony RX100 makes lot of sense to me.

Another thing I have noticed that sometimes my Google Pixel or Galaxy S10 produce better or more usable shots using the built-in HDR when the background is bright. Does Sony/Olympus or any of these mirrorless cameras have in-built HDR mode and how good are those?

Would like to hear suggestions..
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 14:18   #2114
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,596
Thanked: 14,360 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Another thing I have noticed that sometimes my Google Pixel or Galaxy S10 produce better or more usable shots using the built-in HDR when the background is bright. Does Sony/Olympus or any of these mirrorless cameras have in-built HDR mode and how good are those?

Would like to hear suggestions..
Any HDR (JPEG) straight out of a phone or a camera is always a compromise. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

By just shooting in RAW and using some simple photo editing software you will be able to deal much better with different/high contrasts to start with. It makes a huge difference.

My Olympus Pen F and OMD E5 mk2 both have HDR options, you can adjust the various settings (number of different +/- stops, number of shots) and it produces a HDR JPEG straight out of the camera.

I do not make much use of it. If I do use the HDR setting I use the RAW option. It will take a number of shots with different settings and I merge/edit them in a dedicated HDR Program. Although they call it HDR, when using it in Raw it is just a bracketing function, obviously.

A better, but more expensive option, is to use good filters.

There is nothing wrong with shooting JPEG. But if you spend money on getting a proper camera, I would suggest looking into moving to raw. Yes, it does mean you need to process/edit each and every image. But with programs such as Lightroom editing is a breeze. It just takes a couple of mouse clicks to transform an image from average to good. For me post processing is an essential part of photograph. JPEG is nothing else than an average setting applied standard on each RAW file in camera.

On just about all cameras you can choose to have an image stored in both JPEG and RAW. If you are happy with the JPEG go with it. If not you can see what can be done with the Raw file.

I have been very happy with my Olympus cameraas for the last 6-7 years or so. Started with the original OMD E5 when it came out
I use the Pro-lenses which give very good results. (Good enough for my Royal Photographic Society Licentiate approval).

If I had to choose again I would give the new Sony's (unbelievably good auto-focus) and maybe the latest Fuji cameras a good look. However, I am not that big on kit. Even after some 45 years of photography I find myself being the limiting factor more often than my kit.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 14:30   #2115
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 23,787
Thanked: 20,968 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am open to m4/3 cameras from Olympus and Panasonic but I don't understand the benefit of those over something like a Sony a6000. I don't think there is a big difference in size/portability. Also, please note that I am a Canon 600D user for 5+ years and used to certain image quality which I would not like to drop significantly.
What kind of photography you are pursuing? Olympus is very good for portraits, landscapes and indoor shots. If you are into sports action or wildlife, keep away from Olympus.

I am a four-third sensor user since 2006, and have owned 5 different bodies and boat load of 4/3 or m4/3 lenses. All the current Olympus OMD models have 2 auto-HDR modes.

One of the most challenging shooting situation is motor show. Check out how 12-40mm lens handled it on my OMD EM5mkII in 2015 Tokyo Motor Show.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th May 2019 at 14:57.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Evil Twins - JBL Swifts - Pics raftaar In-Car Entertainment 4 4th December 2007 21:33
The Evil Twins -JBL Swifts -No more Requests Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 96 3rd December 2007 19:28
Girls are evil. X-Machine Shifting gears 5 1st October 2004 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks