Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Here you go. Some normal & HDR Art mode shots. No post-processing

Attachment 1885537

Attachment 1885538

Cheers

Pawan
Thanks a lot, man.
What you have posted in HDR ART - this is just a filter, not HDR.
Page 66, Owners Manual, under ADVANCED FILTERS. HDR ART --> Enhance artistic effects by empahsizing tone reprooduction and dynamic range.

What I mean is HDR which is covered under BRACKETING section of the owners manual, page 91 - " Each time shutter button is pressed the camera takes multiple shots at different exposures and combines them into a single high-dynamic-range image ..."
Hope this is clear. What I have heard is that dedicated cameras struggle with in-camera HDR when combining multiple images and you have do correction for hand shake and slight difference across images. So, I was curious to see how the Fuji XT100 does.

I had a chance to play with the XT100 in a camera store today. I liked the feel and build quality of it and there are abundant manual controls to p[lay with. I would have liked if the menu navigation was touch-sensitive which is there is Panasonic and Canon. The other thing I did not like about the camera is the 15-45 kit lens which is a 'power zoom'. I felt controlling the power zoom is really difficult as it suddenly jumps from 15 to 45 directly which defeats the purpose of the zoom lens. Also, the feel of the lens is pretty cheap and does not provide satisfaction. I am thinking about the Panasonic GX85 within the same budget or the Canon M50/Fuji XT20 at a slightly higher budget.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:11   #2177
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks a lot, man.

What I mean is HDR which is covered under BRACKETING section of the owners manual, page 91 - " Each time shutter button is pressed the camera takes multiple shots at different exposures and combines them into a single high-dynamic-range image ..."
Hope this is clear. What I have heard is that dedicated cameras struggle with in-camera HDR when combining multiple images and you have do correction for hand shake and slight difference across images. So, I was curious to see how the Fuji XT100 does.
Got it. Apologies, I misunderstood. I am yet to receive my tripod & since it takes multiple shots, keeping the camera still is a challenge. Will try & post again.

Quote:
I had a chance to play with the XT100 in a camera store today. I liked the feel and build quality of it and there are abundant manual controls to play with. I would have liked if the menu navigation was touch-sensitive which is there is Panasonic and Canon.
That is something that you would get used to. The other thing is the lag in the action of touch screen. It is not very laggy but yeah you can feel a tiny bit of lag.

Quote:
The other thing I did not like about the camera is the 15-45 kit lens which is a 'power zoom'. I felt controlling the power zoom is really difficult as it suddenly jumps from 15 to 45 directly which defeats the purpose of the zoom lens.
It has a workaround. Use the second ring (the thinner one) to adjust zoom. It is much more precise.

Quote:
Also, the feel of the lens is pretty cheap and does not provide satisfaction. I am thinking about the Panasonic GX85 within the same budget or the Canon M50/Fuji XT20 at a slightly higher budget.
Yes, the build quality of camera seems a tad better than the kit lens.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:36   #2178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Yes, the build quality of camera seems a tad better than the kit lens.
It is my long held opinion that if you are buying a mirrorless or dSLR, you must invest in non-kit lenses. Your investment should be 70% on lenses and %30 on body. Only then you will consistently get significantly better results than smartphones. Also, lenses hold their value much better than bodies, the latter gets outdated very fast.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2019 at 10:37.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:20   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is my long held opinion that if you are buying a mirrorless or dSLR, you must invest in non-kit lenses. Your investment should be 70% on lenses and %30 on body. Only then you will consistently get significantly better results than smartphones. Also, lenses hold their value much better than bodies, the latter gets outdated very fast.
Yes. I would shift to non-kit later but I am still a novice in photography & need to utilize the full potential of the kit lens before exploring more lenses. That is precisely the reason why I bought a camera with interchangeable lens. Regarding the smartphones, they have become more expensive than cameras now. A flagship is nothing less than 50-60k & let's not talk about apples. . I think a similarly priced camera would trump smartphone in many situations like low light/night photography.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:30   #2180
Senior - BHPian

After spending a few weeks researching about mirrorless cameras and trying a few, I think it is time for me to take a step back and re-think what actually I want and why I want to move away from DSLRs.

The main reason I want to move away from DSLRs is due to the bulk and the size which is difficult to carry everywhere. I want something smaller which is easier to carry so that I can use it more frequently than I do my DSLR currently. At the same time, I definitely want something which is much better than what my smartphone is capable of.

So, when I started looking for mirrorless options, I was looking at camera+lens combo as I want to keep the overall size/weight small. It is not just the money but the convenience. What I discovered is the small lenses are typically of mediocre quality and one might need to buy more expensive lenses to really get the benefit. Now, good lenses are not only expensive but also heavy. So, what's the point in moving to mirrorless cameras if you have to move around with big, heavy lenses? Canon and Nikon has lovely DSLR lenses which are equally good and costs much lesser. So, now, I am questioning is it a good decision to sell my DSLR and go for a mirrorless if I am not going to solve my main issue with the DSLR?

The above is just my rant... any comments and suggestions are welcome
Old 17th June 2019, 12:32   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't resist the temptation and brought the 45mm Olympus Prime lens yesterday. Initial impressions are very good.

From the pictures of the lens I saw over the internet, I never expected the lens to be so tiny. I did not find any good quality 37mm M-UV filter in Amazon, so for the time being, ordered a Sonia filter, but still in the hunt for a decent quality M-UV filter and a lens hood.

I am planning to order 2 extra batteries - most probably Powerextra brand since they are cheaper than original Olympus make and I need them only as a backup\failsafe. Eager to hear if anyone have any experience with powerextra brand batteries.

--Anoop
Old 17th June 2019, 12:38   #2182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Words of Wisdom
I still shoot with an A7 I purchased 5 years ago. In the A7 line, there is nothing an A7III will give me as a landscape shooter.
It works as it should, taking lovely landscape photos. I have gone through many lenses through. Tamron 15-30, Tokina 20 50mm1.8 135/F2 Samyang.

Thats where the investment lies. With the kit lens, any prosumer like RX100V will give your DSLR/Mirrorless a run for its money, with sharper photos and an easier to manage form factor.
Old 17th June 2019, 15:54   #2183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The main reason I want to move away from DSLRs is due to the bulk and the size which is difficult to carry everywhere. I want something smaller which is easier to carry so that I can use it more frequently than I do my DSLR currently. At the same time, I definitely want something which is much better than what my smartphone is capable of.
You mean you are looking for the same things I was considering 9 years ago? I made the switch Jan 2011.

Quote:
Now why did I bother with a EVIL camera when I had a very good dSLR with excellent lenses?

This is why: Both the cameras have the same size sensor, yet...

My last dSLR, my first mirrorless and my current mirrorless. All with fast (F1.8) normal lens (effective 50mm).

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-fullscreen-capture-17062019-155041.bmp.jpg

I solved the size problem long ago.
Old 17th June 2019, 16:00   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean you are looking for the same things I was considering 9 years ago? I made the switch Jan 2011.

My last dSLR, my first mirrorless and my current mirrorless. All with fast (F1.8) normal lens (effective 50mm).

I solved the size problem long ago.
haha..good one.
I guess this is a full frame. How about modern APS-C DSLRs like Canon 200D? Don't think theres a huge difference
Old 17th June 2019, 16:06   #2185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
haha..good one.
I guess this is a full frame. How about modern APS-C DSLRs like Canon 200D? Don't think theres a huge difference
Not full frame. My last dSLR was Olympus E3, which had the same sensor size as my current micro 4/3 OMD EM5 mkII.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2019 at 16:10.
Old 17th June 2019, 16:42   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Your investment should be 70% on lenses and %30 on body.
Thank you... Just the justification I need for my two planned next lenses!

Sadly, I think my wife will have less respect for your advice than I do!
Old 17th June 2019, 16:57   #2187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I want something smaller which is easier to carry so that I can use it more frequently than I do my DSLR currently. At the same time, I definitely want something which is much better than what my smartphone is capable of.

So, when I started looking for mirrorless options, I was looking at camera+lens combo as I want to keep the overall size/weight small.

So, now, I am questioning is it a good decision to sell my DSLR and go for a mirrorless if I am not going to solve my main issue with the DSLR?
If you are thinking small, think Fuji. The XT30 impresses me a lot.
The XT30 with XF 10-24mm f/4 R OIS Lens, XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS, and XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Lens will weigh in around 1700 gms and covers 16-300mm.

I have several Canon lenses so got an M50 (last year) and an adapter that permits me to use EF and EF-S lenses on the M50. The M50 with the Canon EF-M Lens Adapter, EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II STM is also around 1700 gms and covers 18-400mm.

A third alternate (albeit with a slightly smaller sensor but better lenses) is the Olympus OMD M10III which with the ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6, ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, and ED 40-150mm f2.8 PRO lenses also weighs around 1700 gms and covers 18-300mm. The Oly PRO lenses are very good.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: the range is only indicative. In no way am I comparing lenses. You can't compare a $200 55-250 Canon lens with a $1200 40-150 Olympus lens. They are 2 very different animals.

Last edited by navin : 17th June 2019 at 17:03.
Old 18th June 2019, 16:48   #2188
BHPian

I took the plunge. Wanted to move from a smartphone camera to a beginners one but was not keen on a DSLR because of weight and size. I was looking mainly between Sony A6000/6500 and Olympus OMD EM10 Mark II/III.
Got an excellent deal for Mark III and decided to go ahead.
For @60K INR got the body + M.Zuiko Digital ED 14‑42mm F3.5‑5.6 EZ Pancake + M.Zuiko Digital ED 40‑150mm F4‑5.6 R + M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8.
Learning starts now.

Last edited by RoadSurfer : 18th June 2019 at 16:50.
Old 18th June 2019, 19:41   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Got an excellent deal for Mark III and decided to go ahead.
For @60K INR got the body + M.Zuiko Digital ED 14‑42mm F3.5‑5.6 EZ Pancake + M.Zuiko Digital ED 40‑150mm F4‑5.6 R + M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8.
Learning starts now.
Congratulations and wow, that is really a sweet deal. Did you pick this up from India or US? Can you please share from where did you get the deal - it may help others too.

--Anoop
Old 18th June 2019, 19:47   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Congratulations and wow, that is really a sweet deal. Did you pick this up from India or US? Can you please share from where did you get the deal - it may help others too.

--Anoop
Hi Anoop, thanks.
Currently I am staying in Germany because of work. I see a lot of offers running on Olympus Deutsch and UK official website. The Deutsch website has this offer of M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 lens as free on buying OMD EM10 Mark III body or kit variant. I bought the 2 lens kit variant and got this lens free. On top of that had kind of corporate discount of 15% because of my current employment

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks