Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th June 2019, 21:49   #2191
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I have to disagree with this. The A7 is noticeably heavier and slightly bigger.

Was recently travelling with a Sony APSC and the A7RII w/ 28-70 and the latter was heavier to the point of being tiring.
I was going by this spec sheet that shows Fujifilm XT2 (APS-C) is heavier than Sony A7 (full frame)

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-screenshot-20190618-17.17.00.png

Source: https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-cam...-t2-vs-sony-a7

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th June 2019 at 22:51. Reason: i think u meant heavier than A7 not lighter.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 12:04   #2192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I was going by this spec sheet that shows Fujifilm XT2 (APS-C) is heavier than Sony A7 (full frame)
Ahh okay!

That XT2 certainly is heavy. The A6300 body is about 405g in comparison.

However, talking about the complete package - I think a lot of the weight comes from the lens! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full-frame lens will almost always be the heavier one due to the larger glass area.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 16:13   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Ahh okay!

That XT2 certainly is heavy. The A6300 body is about 405g in comparison.

However, talking about the complete package - I think a lot of the weight comes from the lens! Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full-frame lens will almost always be the heavier one due to the larger glass area.
Ok, got your point. Yes, you are correct, full frame lenses will usually be heavier than APSC lenses which in turn will be heavier than MFT lenses.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 12:01   #2194
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a Canon EOS 80d, which i rarely take out nowadays,partly due to the convenience of the pretty decent camera in my S10+, and mainly due to the bulk of carrying the camera + lenses. My kit comprises of the 80d, a 50mm 1.8 lens, 15-85mm lens and a telephoto which i rarely use. My photography is nowadays limited to travel pics of the family.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the DSLR and switching to mirrorless, with just a single lens, maybe a prime and letting my legs do the work.

What would suit me best? I was thinking of Fuji X-T100 or X-T30.

Last edited by Raghav_K : 21st June 2019 at 12:05.
Raghav_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2019, 14:50   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Canon EOS 80d, which i rarely take out nowadays,partly due to the convenience of the pretty decent camera in my S10+, and mainly due to the bulk of carrying the camera + lenses. My kit comprises of the 80d, a 50mm 1.8 lens, 15-85mm lens and a telephoto which i rarely use. My photography is nowadays limited to travel pics of the family.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the DSLR and switching to mirrorless, with just a single lens, maybe a prime and letting my legs do the work.

What would suit me best? I was thinking of Fuji X-T100 or X-T30.
Welcome to the club. I have been doing lots of research for the last month or so as I sold my Canon 600D.

This is my observation -
Smartphones, particularly the flagship ones have become really good to the extent that you can easily print 8*12 photos and frame them without any issues.
The main advantage of buying a proper camera are - flexible zoom range, low light conditions and creative liberty with various physical controls (talking about an amateur )
To get full advantage, we have to be prepared to buy additional lenses. So, this requires decent investment. So, if you are not going to use the potential of a proper camera, it is not worth buying it.

Now coming to the choices..
I want a compact camera+lens combo for travel and portrait/food shots.
Fuji has the best image quality among mirrorless options but the lenses are typically costly and similar sized as Canon/Nikon standard APS-C lenses.
Panasonic/Olympus have nice compact cameras with in-body image stabilization. Also, the lenses are compact and cheaper. Though the sensor size is smaller, the in-body image stabilization allows lower shutter speed and hence you can shoot at a lower ISO.
Canon has very few options for mirrorless lenses.
Sony also has very few options for mirrorless APS-C lenses (I am not interested in full frame).

So, I believe the choices should be between Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus. I think the m4/3 systems makes sense because of lots of cheap and good quality lenses and overall compact dimensions (that was the primary reason for selling the DSLR, isn't it? ) Between Panasonic and Oly, I am leaning towards Panasonic as they have kit lenses starting at 12mm (24mm FF) which I need for landscapes, architecture etc. The combination I am thinking of is -
Panasonic GX85/90 + 12-32/12-60 kit (general purpose travel lens)
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake (low light)
Olympus 45mm F1.8 (portraits).

I will start with the kit and 20mm pancake and then buy others later.
However, I am finding it difficult to get Panasonic camera dealers here. Also, prices in US are half of that in India. So, I might buy from USA which means there is a big risk if something goes wrong. But, I keep going to USA quite frequently. So, I can claim warranty there if needed. If you are fine with 14mm starting focal length, the Olympus EM10 M2/M3 is a very good camera and does not cost a bomb

If I have to buy in India, I will buy the Fuji XT-100/XT-20 with 15-45/16-50 it and get a 23mmF2 along with the kit lens. Fuji cameras cost the same in India and US and there is proper warranty and service network available in India. So, It's a safer buy.

Last edited by adimicra : 21st June 2019 at 14:53.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 14:32   #2196
Senior - BHPian

I lost my flash sync terminal cap sometime last week - seems like its a fairly common problem across cameras. Is there a place I can buy it in Bangalore? Did some online search and all I could find was Aliexpress links but are there anything available locally - online or offline?

Or, have anyone did any DIY solution?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote