Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:57   #2296
BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Looking to upgrade from 70D to Canon RP , i am still a Novice user and primary usage will be still pictures . I have 50mm f1.8 & 70-200 2nd gen F4 lens . At 76-79K is the cheapest FF mirrorless Dslr . Any user feedback will help me decide.
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:08   #2297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Looking to upgrade from 70D to Canon RP , i am still a Novice user and primary usage will be still pictures . I have 50mm f1.8 & 70-200 2nd gen F4 lens . At 76-79K is the cheapest FF mirrorless Dslr . Any user feedback will help me decide.
I would say you still would have NOT outgrown your 70D. Take time. Why do you think you need to upgrade?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2020 at 15:04.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:16   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say you still would have NOT a outgrown your 70D. Take time. Why do you think you need to upgrade?
agree still lot's to learn , wanting to try FF and above that it's more to do with GAS ( gear aquisition syndrome ) and small form factor . For my kind usage don't want to invest on more expensive FF camera's .
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:05   #2299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
agree still lot's to learn , wanting to try FF and above that it's more to do with GAS ( gear aquisition syndrome ) and small form factor . For my kind usage don't want to invest on more expensive FF camera's .
Spending such amounts is not worth it if you dont use it fully. Spend more on good glass or lenses if you want to.
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:24   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
May be you can enjoy photography by exchanging your 70D for such a Fujifilm X100F. This is a rangefinder style mirror-less camera, with a fixed lens and APS-C sensor. This has a hybrid optical-electronic viewfinder and compact dimensions. You might enjoy taking pictures more with this than your DSLR.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:58   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Nikon officially teases the information about the next iteration of their full frame mirrorless. Thinking about getting a Z system sometime next year. Lets see how this turns out.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-nikon.png
rameshnanda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 20:19   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Nikon officially teases the information about the next iteration of their full frame mirrorless. Thinking about getting a Z system sometime next year. Lets see how this turns out.
I would say watch out. Online forum seem to suggest many contrasting opinion. But good to see this development.

Meanwhile on the other side, Canon also seems to be playing very well with R5/R6. With their own adaptors (EF to RF), they are giving folks reasons not to ditch their good Canon glass. Plus R5 seems to match well with A7-III. Would be interesting to see what Sony has to say with A7-IV. There are overheating aspects though being reported. Need to watch out for that too. Also the way Canon is going, wont be surprising to see an R1 series come-up against A9.

Given Canon has pretty much stopped DSLR R&D, need to see what would be a good time to switch. R6 seems to be a good reason. But will wait and watch. No reasons to change plus, the peace of mind that Canon EF glass is here to stay.

Last edited by ampere : 6th October 2020 at 07:23. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:46   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
I would say watch out. Online forum seem to suggest many contrasting opinion.
NikonRumors have been bang on so far with their predictions. As per them, the II's would have dual card slot (SQD+SD), dual processor, option for proper vertical grip, 4K/60p internal. Otherwise same sensor, EVF & body etc. Should have better AF due to dual processor (but still behind Sony and Canon).

Quote:
Meanwhile on the other side, Canon also seems to be playing very well with R5/R6. With their own adaptors (EF to RF), they are giving folks reasons not to ditch their good Canon glass.
The RF glasses are so costly that most in India would hold onto their EF lenses. Even Nikon's Z lenses are far more expensive than F mount ones!
Quote:
Plus R5 seems to match well with A7-III. Would be interesting to see what Sony has to say with A7-IV. There are overheating aspects though being reported.
R5 ($4000) is more of a competitor to A7rIV ($3500). Even R6 costs $500 more than A7III. For the Pixel peepers, both Canon's have less pixels than these equivalent Sony's.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 01:54   #2304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say watch out. Online forum seem to suggest many contrasting opinion. But good to see this development.
I have been contemplating the switch for quite some time. If the rumors are to be believed, II version is promising. I would anyway wait for 6 months - 1 Year.

Quote:
Meanwhile on the other side, Canon also seems to be playing very well with R5/R6.
Canon and Sony are much ahead in the game where Nikon is still trying to catch up. Having invested more on Nikon F glasses, I would stick with the Nikon ecosystem.
Old 6th October 2020, 07:45   #2305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
R5 ($4000) is more of a competitor to A7rIV ($3500). Even R6 costs $500 more than A7III. For the Pixel peepers, both Canon's have less pixels than these equivalent Sony's.
This is true. I would assume, at some point in time, once the early technology woes with respect to mass adoption seem to stabilize, prices should also come down. But thats at least few years away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Canon and Sony are much ahead in the game where Nikon is still trying to catch up. Having invested more on Nikon F glasses, I would stick with the Nikon ecosystem.
I agree. The way I see it, Nikon needs to push back strongly. They have incurred significant reduction in business over last few years. Nikon-Canon rivalry seems to be morphing to Sony-Canon. Hence my point that, Nikon needs to come back strongly to be in the game.
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:42   #2306
BHPian

Hi everyone.
I have been using Nikon D3400 for the past few years coupled with 70-300 Nikkor lens and a 150-600 mm Tamron lens. This kit has served me well in all my pursuits so far. I mostly dapple in wildlife and off late I realised I need to upgrade to match my expectations with practicality. I have been thinking of going for a mirror less system as I believe that's where the future is headed to.Ruest suggestions for an upgrade within a budget of 1 Lac INR including a substantial lens.
Would I be forced to sell off my present lens or do I have the option of using it with the upgraded system?
I do have the option of retaining the D3400 with the lens set as a second body though.
Thanks

Last edited by Hunter3077 : 22nd October 2020 at 16:47.
Hunter3077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:19   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Hi everyone.
I have been using Nikon D3400 for the past few years coupled with 70-300 Nikkor lens and a 150-600 mm Tamron lens. This kit has served me well in all my pursuits so far. I mostly dapple in wildlife and off late I realised I need to upgrade to match my expectations with practicality. I have been thinking of going for a mirrorless system as I believe that's where the future is headed to.Ruest suggestions for an upgrade within a budget of 1 Lac INR including a substantial lens.
Would I be forced to sell off my present lens or do I have the option of using it with the upgraded system?
Which version is your Tamron lens? If it's g2, it will work with Nikon Z-mount through FTZ adaptor but only after a firmware update. Tamron g1 would only have manual focus.

If you want to move to mirrorless, Sony probably has the best options in APSC. a6400 body only- 70K+
Sigma 150-600mm- 70k+
You are still looking at an expenditure of 1.4L+.

If your Tamron is g2, then Nikon Z50 plus FTZ adaptor is your only option within 1L in Nikon stable. But you may not get much improvement in AF performance.

Another option would be to upgrade to D7500 or used D500 which would fit your budget.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:15   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
If you want to move to mirrorless, Sony probably has the best options in APSC. a6400 body only- 70K+
Sigma 150-600mm- 70k+
You are still looking at an expenditure of 1.4L+.
The Sigma 150-600 is not available in the Sony mount. So, an adapter will be required for using the available mounts (Canon or Nikon) with a Sony mirrorless camera.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 22:17   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
The Sigma 150-600 is not available in the Sony mount. So, an adapter will be required for using the available mounts (Canon or Nikon) with a Sony mirrorless camera.
My bad, I totally forgot. Thanks for the correction. I think most Sony users with this lens use Sigma MC-11 adapter and EF version of the lens. Or Sigma 100-400mm is available on FE mount.
Old 22nd October 2020, 22:56   #2310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry my reply might already be too late. I was in the same dilemma a couple of years back. I was using Nikon D80 APS-C camera and wanted to shift to Full Frame. Researched a lot and finally bought the Nikon D810 FF camera. What I would suggest after 2 years of usage, please do not buy Full Frame camera unless you absolutely need one. With my level of photography I did not need one but I had not realised at that time. Please do not get me wrong. The picture quality is fantastic and I can crop a lot without compromising too much. But the biggest problem is weight. With a 16-35mm lens it weighs almost 2 kilos. So you can say that a mirrorless will be smaller and have less weight. True, but it is only the body, the full frame lenses weigh a lot more than the APS-C and micro four thirds lenses. So you are really not going to gain that much by going for a full frame mirrorless camera. That is absolutely my thought process and I might be wrong.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd October 2020 at 19:12. Reason: Typo.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed