Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2546972)
How would the Sony Aplha NEX 7 compare with the other DLSR cameras available? This one from sony looks handy and the review says that it is a good compact replacement for those bulky DLSR's available in the market. Any suggestions on that? Is this one from Sony a DLSR or a P&S?

Any comparison of EVIL camera to dSLR will lead to big fights. Therefore, just state your photography needs, then members will be able to advice you correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2547461)
Sigh, I am done with this thread unless something new happens in this technology and I need information. And, I'll definitely look forward to more people who actually have hands on experience and post photographs to prove their point than someone who doesn't post anything at all.

I guess, some people don't consider reading what was written in the brackets and make generalizations. Please go back couple of threads back and re-read what I said. If you can't, I am sorry I can't help it, but don't mis-quote me.

FYI, here's what I said in post #256

"But, as I always say, if you're happy with something, keep using it because at the end of the day it's personal preference and let's make photographs than spend time arguing over which system is better or not."

And here's what I said in post #259,
"I am not saying that every pro out there is going to make the switch (depends on their needs), but generalizing is something I do not agree with. "

Forgive me for not understanding posts with no or little contexts, I have never been good with signs, I prefer complete explanation.

BTW, I was out in West Virginia today, witnessing some amazing fall colors. And yes, all of them were shot with the G1 and a few lenses, if you want to see them, they will eventually make it to the non-auto image thread <begin sarcasm> which some of you may not know that it exists because you don't care to post any image on this forum at all </end of sarcasm>.

Have a nice day.

So if someone doesn`t wanna share there personal portfolio or work portfolio, they should stop posting at team bhp ?

Believe it or not, there are a lot of enthusiasts out there who shoot for themselves, and not to share it online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajb3125 (Post 2549682)
So if someone doesn`t wanna share there personal portfolio or work portfolio, they should stop posting at team bhp ?

Believe it or not, there are a lot of enthusiasts out there who shoot for themselves, and not to share it online.

I am not in a position of authority to make that call. I simply stated that I would not listen to the opinions of people who have not had hands on experience of an equipment and has something substantial (in our case, photographs) to prove a point.

I am aware of such enthusiasts. They are humble enough to accept that they haven't used a type of camera and are generally averse to making statements about camera or a system. They mostly talk light and composition.

I think we are already way off-topic and wouldn't like to continue this discussion on this thread. Please PM me if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to clarify them. Have a good day.

Wow - what a lot of venting over what should ideally be a simple choice based on one's needs and budget! I had the money for an entry-level Canikon but decided to go with a used Olympus EPL-1 because the compact size appealed to me. I'm not a professional photographer, so extracting the maximum possible IQ wasn't a deal-clincher.

I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. That said, I find the 14-42mm kit lens rather inadequate for the outdoors, so is there a 40-150mm m4/3 lens I can buy from JJ Mehta? I'm also willing to order on Amazon if it's reliable and doesn't cost much more than $200. For example, would this be a direct fit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0046WLBNS

I don't have any legacy lenses (all my previous cameras have been P&S) and don't have the skill to recognise any bargains, so I'd rather not go down that path!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! (Post 2550208)
Wow - what a lot of venting over what should ideally be a simple choice based on one's needs and budget! I had the money for an entry-level Canikon but decided to go with a used Olympus EPL-1 because the compact size appealed to me. I'm not a professional photographer, so extracting the maximum possible IQ wasn't a deal-clincher.

I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. That said, I find the 14-42mm kit lens rather inadequate for the outdoors, so is there a 40-150mm m4/3 lens I can buy from JJ Mehta? I'm also willing to order on Amazon if it's reliable and doesn't cost much more than $200. For example, would this be a direct fit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0046WLBNS

I don't have any legacy lenses (all my previous cameras have been P&S) and don't have the skill to recognise any bargains, so I'd rather not go down that path!

I am not quite sure how the lenses fare as I haven't used any. But you have a few options in the panasonic line-up too (depending on your budget).

Panasonic lenses have OIS but you won't need them as E-PL1 already has IBIS. I'd suggest that you look around on mu-43.com for more information about native lenses. I have only used adapted/legacy lenses in that range, so won't have much to add.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2545373)
So I tried out EVIL camera option. Didn't exactly workout as I expected. I thought I could replace my dSLR with EVIL. But EVIL is not yet ready for dSLR world domination.

Hi Samurai, can you please elaborate on the point above. It is important because you have used both DSLR and NEX and so would be able to help with NEX limitations and gaps (I am an IT guy :Frustrati) purely from the perspective of traditional DSLR aspirations. I perhaps understand from the discussion on this thread other high points of this debate.

I am now confused between a DSLR and NEX.

I was/am interested in buying Nikon Dx body. But I thought I will collect only Fx lenses so that when I move to (if ever) to Full Frame sensor, I will not have to throw my lenses. I am aware that using Fx lenses on Dx body may not be such a bright idea but I see a Dx body only a step towards Fx body. So investments need to be protected. Dreams.

Then I chance upon this thread. And suddenly the equation became more complex than E- MC2. So here's my take and I need advice to decide.
If you want to take good pictures buy NEX. But if you want to do photography take DSLR. I mean features like Sweep Panorama, Twilight Mode and other whole bunch of features make the task of taking good pictures easy - at least I hope so. But they take away the fun associated with getting it right the more satisfying way.
Correct or incorrect? Can I do all that hard work with a NEX when I want to?

Not having EVF is a serious is a serious limitation though. But may be in a few years after I am done practising, a Fx body will be available at D7000 price point. Again, only dreams:D.

P.S.: If Evil, I am considering Sony NEX 5N.

For me, the biggest issue with EVIL is the lack of fast standard zooms. Like the 24-105mm for FF. In offroad evenst, it is either dusty or rainy, changing lenses is not an option. I don't have such lenses with EVIL, yet. Also, thanks to Olympus, I am used to getting fast lenses within $1000. That is why I don't yet see EVIL replacing my dSLR fully.

A serious photographer should consider EVIL only if compactness is very important, that was my reason. There could be other reasons like advantage of working with legacy MF lenses.

Looking at your post, I am not sure what kind of photography you want to pursue. You are talking about full frame bodies and then about automated scene modes in the next sentence. Users of these two are usually mutually exclusive.

So, let's focus on your photography, what is it you want to do with it? What kind of gear you already have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2551647)
For me, the biggest issue with EVIL is the lack of fast standard zooms. Like the 24-105mm for FF. In offroad evenst, it is either dusty or rainy, changing lenses is not an option. I don't have such lenses with EVIL, yet. Also, thanks to Olympus, I am used to getting fast lenses within $1000. That is why I don't yet see EVIL replacing my dSLR fully.

A serious photographer should consider EVIL only if compactness is very important, that was my reason. There could be other reasons like advantage of working with legacy MF lenses.

Looking at your post, I am not sure what kind of photography you want to pursue. You are talking about full frame bodies and then about automated scene modes in the next sentence. Users of these two are usually mutually exclusive.

So, let's focus on your photography, what is it you want to do with it? What kind of gear you already have?

What you say is true for the 4/3 world. Is it true for standard APS-C based EVIL cameras too? I am not following EVIL launches and all, so you would be a better judge of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2551687)
What you say is true for the 4/3 world. Is it true for standard APS-C based EVIL cameras too? I am not following EVIL launches and all, so you would be a better judge of this.

Of course, I am referring to the entire EVIL range. Show me a 24-105mm effective FL lens in any of the EVIL offerings, let alone fast. I will be thrilled when it happens.

Only Samsung NX has a 16-80mm F/3.5-4.5 (EFL 24-120mm) in their future roadmap.

The lens versatility - yes it is a limitation but which may improve in near future. I haven't understood the concept of standard zoom. With the high mega pixel of today's cameras, one can always crop (there is no perspective change when one zooms - correct?, please enlighten me) and if one shoots in raw, can adjust other parameters as well. It may help in composition but I have hardly used zoom (my P&S has 8x zoom) in couple of shots out of 100. That also tells what I may be shooting with my NEX as well?
The fast aspect of a lens - yes.

One quick question.
1. Are NEX fast and responsive like DSLR? Will I be able to click click click (without going into FPS discussion)?

I will only be shooting my kids, their parties and for my travelogues. Sometimes I may like to shoot fall or spring outside or a beautiful night filled with stars. In other words, I am not the one who looks specifically to find subjects to shoot:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2551875)
Of course, I am referring to the entire EVIL range. Show me a 24-105mm effective FL lens in any of the EVIL offerings, let alone fast. I will be thrilled when it happens.

Only Samsung NX has a 16-80mm F/3.5-4.5 (EFL 24-120mm) in their future roadmap.

May be I'm wrong. Is this the sort of lens that you are talking about?

SEL-18200 (SEL18200, SEL18200.AE) : Kameras & Camcorder : Sony

Quote:

Originally Posted by akbaree (Post 2552604)
The lens versatility - yes it is a limitation but which may improve in near future. I haven't understood the concept of standard zoom. With the high mega pixel of today's cameras, one can always crop (there is no perspective change when one zooms - correct?, please enlighten me) and if one shoots in raw, can adjust other parameters as well. It may help in composition but I have hardly used zoom (my P&S has 8x zoom) in couple of shots out of 100.

Going by that logic, one will never need a telephoto lens. Shoot everything in pancake lens and then crop. Anyway, not my style. I like to compose my shot as close to the final result. I shot the entire Avalakonda OTR 2011 in E-PL1 using 9-18mm lens, it was really limiting. Cropping only gives lot of grainy images on m4/3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akbaree (Post 2552604)
One quick question.
1. Are NEX fast and responsive like DSLR? Will I be able to click click click (without going into FPS discussion)?

You will find this part pretty irritating. The LCD is your EVF, but the moment you click, it is your preview screen. If you want click click click, you can keep the button pressed, but your EVF will be pretty busy trying jump between EVF and preview functions. This is how E-PL1 behaves, not sure whether NEX has a different trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2552835)
May be I'm wrong. Is this the sort of lens that you are talking about?

SEL-18200 (SEL18200, SEL18200.AE) : Kameras & Camcorder : Sony

No, that is an entry level walkaround lens with 10x zoom. Besides, it starts at 27mm, I need 24mm at wide end and around 100mm at tele end. And no exceeding F4 at the tele end.

The new GX1 will be here soon. Looking forward to it.

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) GX1 coming on November 8! With G3 sensor + specs leaked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2552850)
Going by that logic, one will never need a telephoto lens. Shoot everything in pancake lens and then crop. Anyway, not my style. I like to compose my shot as close to the final result. I shot the entire Avalakonda OTR 2011 in E-PL1 using 9-18mm lens, it was really limiting. Cropping only gives lot of grainy images on m4/3.

You stretched my suggestion:D. I was only referring to cropping for standard zoom. Wide Angle and Telephoto lenses have special applications. Moreover, you are absolutely right having a standard zoom will help better compositions when needed. I never felt the need of standard zoom but then I never get to shoot an OTR:D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2552850)
You will find this part pretty irritating. The LCD is your EVF, but the moment you click, it is your preview screen. If you want click click click, you can keep the button pressed, but your EVF will be pretty busy trying jump between EVF and preview functions. This is how E-PL1 behaves, not sure whether NEX has a different trick.

To get a better feel on this, I went to the Best Buy store today. I ran into the problem you mentioned above. But then checked again after turning auto review off. It was pretty fast. The only lag being the time it takes to auto focus which is not such an issue. The continuous shooting mode was pretty good as well.

I loved the camera. But one more quick question. The display units don't have the memory card. I am not sure if with memory card the speed will slow down so that it can write.

Dear Samurai San / All ,

I am only point and shoot guy as of now , and since my last camera has expired i am looking at Sony EX 3 @ 17,000 Rs.

Mostly i want mega zoom and good quality lens for ever day use and would sometime use them for wild life Photography. I have been told to take a look at Cannon DSLR D1100 to be future proof.

kindly advise ..