Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 12:18   #391
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
The 75mm unfortunately is not weather sealed so I am going to skip that. Will wait for a weather sealed one. There is a new 60mm f/2.8 arriving but 60mm is too less for my needs Olympus adds 75mm F1.8, 60mm F2.8 Macro and flash to Micro Four Thirds lineup: Digital Photography Review

--R
Yeah, I have been waiting to see how that one performs. I might be interested in that one more than the 75mm as it's a macro lens. Let's see.
Old 28th August 2012, 23:53   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

I'd like to know your intent, as in do you intend to excel in photography? And the kind of photography you'll do. If you want to listen to a crazy idea, get the X100 and use it for the next 2-3 years. The fixed FL will force you to think about composition and it's a wonderful camera. It feels so natural in the hand and is a joy to use, except for the AF, which they claim to have fixed in recent firmwares. But, it's one camera that'll make you work and think.
I would mostly be using it for street photography. I want a fast AF. I want to learn from this Camera.

Is the AF of the Fuji X100 comparable with the Olympus OMD? Does the Fuji X100 also have the touch click? How does the size compare? I've heard some good reviews about the X100. But with the fixed lens, it gives me the feel of a P&S.

I could see that you have a good knowledge on photography and I would seriously consider your advice. I will visit a shop and have a look at the Fuji X100. By the way anyone here already having the Fuji X100?

Does the OMD come with a built in flash?

Last edited by joe1980 : 29th August 2012 at 00:09.
Old 29th August 2012, 11:08   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I would mostly be using it for street photography. I want a fast AF. I want to learn from this Camera.

Is the AF of the Fuji X100 comparable with the Olympus OMD? Does the Fuji X100 also have the touch click? How does the size compare? I've heard some good reviews about the X100. But with the fixed lens, it gives me the feel of a P&S.

I could see that you have a good knowledge on photography and I would seriously consider your advice. I will visit a shop and have a look at the Fuji X100. By the way anyone here already having the Fuji X100?

Does the OMD come with a built in flash?
IMO, the AF on Fuji X100 is not as fast as OM-D. But, it isn't like poiint and shoot slow. I think it does have the touch click and I didn't bother to check it as I really wasn't keen. Size of X100 is bigger than OM-D, but it fits really well. You just feel nice holding it in your hand. The feel of P&S ends at the fixed lens aspect, it is a highly capable camera. See the image thread here:
Fuji X100 Images Thread - FM Forums

Yes, it's wise to check it in a shop, but I doubt you'll get that experience in India. I know a friend and good street photographer here in Bangalore who sold most of his leica stuff and now uses just the X100. I have couple of friends who have the X100 and love it. It's pretty awesome for street photography. OM-D comes with a clip on flash and not a built-in flash.

Again, I'd suggest that you experience both the X100 and the OM-D and then make a choice . Oh, btw, Fuji is coming out with X-E1 which is an interchangeable lens camera like the X-Pro1. So, you might want to wait and see if you'd be interested in that.

Here's on my favorite street photographs and it was made with an X100:
Hamamatsucho, Tokyo, 2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Do check out Shin Noguchi's work, he shoots mostly with his X100. And also Zack Arias' review of the X100.
Old 29th August 2012, 17:01   #394
BHPian

Quote:
IMO, the AF on Fuji X100 is not as fast as OM-D. But, it isn't like poiint and shoot slow. I think it does have the touch click and I didn't bother to check it as I really wasn't keen. Size of X100 is bigger than OM-D, but it fits really well. You just feel nice holding it in your hand. The feel of P&S ends at the fixed lens aspect, it is a highly capable camera. See the image thread here:
Fuji X100 Images Thread - FM Forums

Yes, it's wise to check it in a shop, but I doubt you'll get that experience in India. I know a friend and good street photographer here in Bangalore who sold most of his leica stuff and now uses just the X100. I have couple of friends who have the X100 and love it. It's pretty awesome for street photography. OM-D comes with a clip on flash and not a built-in flash.

Again, I'd suggest that you experience both the X100 and the OM-D and then make a choice . Oh, btw, Fuji is coming out with X-E1 which is an interchangeable lens camera like the X-Pro1. So, you might want to wait and see if you'd be interested in that.

Here's on my favorite street photographs and it was made with an X100:
Hamamatsucho, Tokyo, 2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Do check out Shin Noguchi's work, he shoots mostly with his X100. And also Zack Arias' review of the X100.
I can remember from my past experience is that with the P&S I've lost so many golden opportunities to shoot my subjects. I thought the Sony HX9V that I bought last year would do good. But even that proved to be useless. At times it takes about 5 seconds between shots. That is one reason as to why I'm so keen on the AF. If the Fuji X100 lives up to my expectations, I would seriously buy it. I also do not want to carry around many devices with me (lenses, mounted flash). The X100 seems a perfect candidate. Is there any other comparable camera to the X100 with a fixed lens? May be I should start comparing that way instead of comparing the X100 with the interchangeable lenses cameras. I would then settle on the one with a good AF and then narrow down on the other features.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:42   #395
Senior - BHPian

So the Alpha NEX-5R Wi-Fi capable EVIL is here!

Sony announces Alpha NEX-5R Wi-Fi capable mirrorless camera with hybrid AF: Digital Photography Review
Old 29th August 2012, 22:58   #396
BHPian

Does the in-availability of the built in flash a drawback? What do you do during the night and you want to shoot? I really like the OMD, but I would refrain from the fact that it does not have the inbuilt flash. I never like to carry around a huge kit always with me. So I would not be carrying the external flash and also do not have the patience at times to mount that. But I really like the AF speed on that camera. Should I look for the NEX 7? How would you suggest it? I'm somehow not convinced with the Fuji X100 AF.

I'm considering between NEX7 and OMD. Any suggestions on which one has a better AF? I can compromise on the AF but the built in flash is vital for me. Another dumb question - When my subject is moving, most of the times with a P&S I get a blurred picture. Does the NEX7 offer a better picture when shooting moving subjects? How does the OMD fare in this?

HellwratH - Hope you are patient enough to clarify my dumb questions!
Old 29th August 2012, 23:18   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another dumb question - When my subject is moving, most of the times with a P&S I get a blurred picture. Does the NEX7 offer a better picture when shooting moving subjects? How does the OMD fare in this?
Hmm, this question makes me think that you do not understand photography. I mean the relationship between aperture, shutter speed & ISO. The holy trinity of photography.

The OMD and NEX7 are heavyweight cameras. If you are considering those, I suggest you do some read up on photography so that you can make better judgement during your purchase process.

Basic Photo Tips: Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO - photo.net
Old 29th August 2012, 23:33   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, this question makes me think that you do not understand photography. I mean the relationship between aperture, shutter speed & ISO. The holy trinity of photography.

The OMD and NEX7 are heavyweight cameras. If you are considering those, I suggest you do some read up on photography so that you can make better judgement during your purchase process.

Basic Photo Tips: Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO - photo.net
You got me right. I do not have a much knowledge on photography and I have never gone beyond a P&S. Most of the times with a P&S, I've never bothered to do any manual settings. I always shot in the auto mode. But I want to change all that. I will go through the article that you posted and hope that I can find answer to my dumb question of getting clear images when shooting moving subjects.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:17   #399
BHPian

Sorry for chaining my post. This video explains the basics crisp and clear,

Thanks to Samurai for the link as well. Now I have the answer to my question. Increase the shutter speed to avoid blurriness when shooting moving targets.

My next questions - What difference would it make between the APSC sensors and CMOS sensors? I see that the NEX7 has the CMOS and the OMD has the APSC. What difference does this make to the picture quality?

Last edited by joe1980 : 30th August 2012 at 01:33.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:20   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My next questions - What difference would it make between the APSC sensors and CMOS sensors? I see that the NEX7 has the CMOS and the OMD has the APSC. What difference does this make to the picture quality?
I think the regulars are still recovering the shock...

Both NEX7 and OM-D have CMOS sensors.

NEX7 has APS-C format sensor, while OM-D has 4/3 format sensor. Mainly they differ in size. Larger sensors generally have lesser noise.

See this: File:Sensor sizes overlaid inside - updated.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 31st August 2012, 10:58   #401
BHPian

Hey Joe,
Sorry, I didn't check this thread for a while. Anyway, if you ask me, I'd suggest that you stick with your Hx9v, which is quite a capable camera for now. Learn the nuances before investing so much into a system. Learn composition, light etc. Post photographs in Non-auto image thread and ask for critique. Once you learn most of this, the transition to a DSLR (or a similar camera) will be smooth and not that frustrating. Otherwise, you'll be frustrated that even after upgrading you are not getting what you want. And then you'll end up selling what you buy for a major loss.

Anyways, here's a photo that I made with the bigger brother of Hx9v, the Hx100v. I was testing a friend's camera, so I know it is pretty darn good:

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-6235826863_b006be5246_z.jpg
Old 31st August 2012, 11:33   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
CMOS/CCD etc., are material technologies.
APS-C, 4/3 etc., are sizes.
For example the 4/3 sensor is 4/3" in size.

Its like hatchback and sedan 4/3 and APS/C, while aluminium body or Steel body would be the material technologies.

A very crude analogy, but you get the drift.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:11   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Joe,
Sorry, I didn't check this thread for a while. Anyway, if you ask me, I'd suggest that you stick with your Hx9v, which is quite a capable camera for now. Learn the nuances before investing so much into a system. Learn composition, light etc. Post photographs in Non-auto image thread and ask for critique. Once you learn most of this, the transition to a DSLR (or a similar camera) will be smooth and not that frustrating. Otherwise, you'll be frustrated that even after upgrading you are not getting what you want. And then you'll end up selling what you buy for a major loss.
Thanks for the reply!

You are in a sense right. I could use the HX9v for some more time. I in fact stopped using the Auto and iAuto mode in the HX9V and switched completely to manual mode. But my Wife and often times my kid use this camera and they shoot whatever they like and in the process, they change as many settings as they could. The camera is not private anymore. For them this is a fun toy. That was the reason why I wanted to have a new one that I can keep to myself. I really want to get away with the P&S.

I visited the shop today and had a look at the OMD, the NEX 7 and the Fuji X100. I straight away rejected the X100 as it was not comfortable to be held. Then was the OMD, I felt it to be un-comfortable to be held in my right hand. But with the add-on, I guess it should be okay. The next was the NEX 7 and it felt much comfortable holding.

But after taking a couple of snaps, with the same ISO, Aperture settings, I found the OMD to be much better. But on the other hand, the tri-navi from the NEX 7 seems interesting as well. I came back empty handed. I will wait for the Photokina and probably see if the prices come down a bit. But until then I will have to keep researching and expand my knowledge towards professional photography.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:38   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
I visited the shop today and had a look at the OMD, the NEX 7 and the Fuji X100. I straight away rejected the X100 as it was not comfortable to be held. Then was the OMD, I felt it to be un-comfortable to be held in my right hand. But with the add-on, I guess it should be okay. The next was the NEX 7 and it felt much comfortable holding.
Why not you try with small baby steps. Pardon me but that query on Aperture and shutter speed on your part means that you are starting out now. Try to start off with some baby steps. Except NEX 7 both OMD and X100 are 1200 dollars something. And that is some serious amount of cash in my opinion.

My suggestion will be to buy E-PL1(body only) which is going real cheap. Pair it with 17mm pancake from Olympus (This will take care of Auto focus issues). And you have a decent kit.

See if you are comfortable fiddling around with settings and willing to put hours in learning Photoshop.

If you find that it is not your cup of tea then also you save decent amount of money.
Old 2nd September 2012, 11:35   #405
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been a P&S user for a long long time and never really had to think about focusing. This could be one reason why my knowledge was very limited. But however, I have been reading some theory behind photography and slowly getting acquainted to the concept. As and when I read, I'm able to differentiate between pictures. I did try a couple of shots with my HX9V with different ISO settings and focal lengths. I'm able to recognize the differences. I have to get used to the amount of light nature has and automatically manipulate my settings to get that perfect shot. I will be there soon. I've deferred my purchase for now. I will however keep exploring on this as.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks