Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 00:52   #571
Team-BHP Support

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I take that back, those remotes will not work. There are some DIY projects using IR sensor though.
I already have made such a contraption which works with my note using the headphone jack. However, its not possible to keep a stool in front of the camera where I can place my phone for intervalometer duty. A dedicated wired intervalometer is always better.

Speaking of lenses, the Tamron 18-200 is sharper and cheaper than the native sony 18-200
Old 15th November 2012, 01:09   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I already have made such a contraption which works with my note using the headphone jack. However, its not possible to keep a stool in front of the camera where I can place my phone for intervalometer duty. A dedicated wired intervalometer is always better.
I was thinking of glueing/velcroing the emitter on the camera sensor. Nex 5R support wifi so I will be looking for an android app that can simulate screen taps at regular intervals.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:14   #573
Team-BHP Support

Night samples with the nex 5n

All these have some noise reduction done in Post processing. Image quality is great. This can be my star trail camera. Yipee. However, I wish there was a way to use custom button to quickly turn of steadyshot or turn it on

893 seconds ISO 200, then pulled up by 2.x stops (effective ISO around 900)
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc_00080_lrxl.jpg

Pulled up by 2.5 stops over iso 200(effective ISO 1000), 590 seconds
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc_00083_lrxl.jpg

20s, ISO 6400. Pulled up by a stop. (12800 effective ISO)
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc_00084_lrxl.jpg
Old 15th November 2012, 12:07   #574
BHPian

Guys am not able to find the Sigma or Sony lenses anywhere. I tred th camera shop in Pune linked earlier but after a lot of back and forth, I fugured out that they dont have stock, nor can they procure it. I went to Sony store and they said that they do not stock lenses as the Nex is not so popular here. The one in Koramangala quoted me 50k for the 50mm 1.8 Sony Emount, which BTW is available for around 300 USD. SO what options do I have other than to order from Amazon UK or ebay.com?
Old 16th November 2012, 14:55   #575
BHPian

Are there only 3 apps totally available in the Playmemories app store? I managed to get two of them installed and looks exciting to work with them. The smart remote control seems to be one of my favorite. The other one 'Direct Upload', I'm yet to try it! But I guess, I could upload the pics with WiFi to my Mac. I'm not sure if I need the Playmemories also be installed on my Mac. But I can't find any!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50180975

Last edited by joe1980 : 16th November 2012 at 15:04.
Old 18th November 2012, 00:51   #576
Team-BHP Support

I am thoroughly disappointed, nay disgusted with Sony Nex marketing department for India. They are not at all interested in introducing the latest bodies and lenses in India, they have brought nothing new this entire year. I can't depend on such a company for my photography needs. While the e-mount 16-50mm lens temporarily attracted me towards Nex 5R or Nex 6, the Sony attitude towards India has turned me off totally.

So my focus is back on OM-D, I will purchase it pretty soon.
Old 18th November 2012, 10:09   #577
Team-BHP Support

Anyone got to try out the Canon EOS M? Interested to know how good is their first attempt in this space.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:06   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Anyone got to try out the Canon EOS M? Interested to know how good is their first attempt in this space.
Looks like a Powershot camera. Take a look at the review here!

I guess Canon might need a couple of iterations before they can get their killer mirror less camera.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:26   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

I guess Canon might need a couple of iterations before they can get their killer mirror less camera.
Thank you! I have seen/read some reviews, and also have seen the camera in the store. But just wanted to see some feedback from some folks who have actually used it, especially since it is Canon's first attempt in this space.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:47   #580
BHPian

I have a Sony NEX 5N with an EV. I previously used a Canon S5 IS bridge/megazoom camera. I have also used my cousin's Nikon D5000 and have found the experience of shooting with all three to be eye-opening different.

First things first, I don't think the smaller format cameras will replace the full form DSLR's. Instead they will supplement them. The pros of the EVIL camera is that they are light-weight, less intrusive, more user-friendly and sleeker looking (subjective perhaps).

The pros of the full DSLR is that they are better balanced wrt to their lenses; Can have more buttons and manual control on their body because of their larger frames, and currently take better low light photos than their EVIL counterparts (although this is changing).

Compared to the Nikon D5000 and even the D90, I can safely say that using the NEX 5N is far less intimidating and sometimes even more fun (it has a few parlour tricks like hassle free panaroma stitching and what nots that my wife digs). More importantly, I love the fact that I can carry it around without looking too conspicuous. I should also mention that the learning curve of using a full DSLR can be quite challenging. Two of my other cousins also invested in full DSLR's but hardly use it because they can't quite figure it all out. Not the fault of the camera, of course, but for anyone stepping up from point-and-shoots this is something to keep in mind.

I found the standard 18-55mm lens very capable indeed. Not just for standard lighting conditions but low light photography too. You do need a tripod for best results but it's surprising just how good photos it can produce even if you hand-hold it. In fact, I'm using less and less of the tripod now. Besides, what's the point of carrying a small camera if you're going to have a tripod in tow?

I invested in the add-on EV early on and let me tell you that it's a superb piece of equipment that beats the viewfinder on some of the top DSLR's. If you're buying a NEX 5N, I would recommend going for it as well as it adds to the experience of taking a good photo.

I also invested in the 16mm f/2.8 lens, which while good enough, does suffer from severe barrel distortions (even after help from the built-in corrector). So, having a software that further removes the barrel distortion is imperative.

I would like to go in for a telephoto zoom lens next but a couple of things hold me back. 1) I'm yet to find a reasonably priced E-mount lens in India (I bought my Nex 5n & accessories in South Korea). 2) The size of the telephoto lens makes it odd to use on the NEX, making it further unbalanced for hand-held photography. Tripod becomes indispensable.
Old 18th November 2012, 13:10   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thank you! I have seen/read some reviews, and also have seen the camera in the store. But just wanted to see some feedback from some folks who have actually used it, especially since it is Canon's first attempt in this space.
The Nikon and the Canon guys are so much famous in making those bulky awesome DSLR's. The Fuji and the Sony guys were not able to penetrate that market so they played niche with their mirror less systems. It would certainly take some time for Canon and Nikon to showcase their super hit versions of the mirror less systems. Until then it will be either Sony or Fuji with the exception being the Leica which is out of bounds (at least for me now).
Old 19th November 2012, 19:45   #582
Senior - BHPian

Re: Night samples with the nex 5n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All these have some noise reduction done in Post processing. Image quality is great. This can be my star trail camera. Yipee. However, I wish there was a way to use custom button to quickly turn of steadyshot or turn it on
What trigger did you use for bulb? my wifi app defaults the maximum shutter to 30 seconds.
Old 19th November 2012, 22:50   #583
Team-BHP Support

I used a wireless remote control. Nex and Alpha take in the same wireless remote(Infrared)
Old 20th November 2012, 11:58   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=08yIu2WdpMU

At least its better than Nikon-1 with respect to sensor size!

But where Nikon could actually do good was Size (because of its smaller sensor) it hasn't.

Quite frankly, Canon EOS will be popular with Canon fanbois and Nikon-1 will be popular with Nikon fanbois.

Those who require compact (body+lens) and they don't exhibit any bias towards the "Canikon" will go for Micro four thirds.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:29   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider77 View Post
I can safely say that using the NEX 5N is far less intimidating and sometimes even more fun (it has a few parlour tricks like hassle free panaroma stitching and what nots that my wife digs). More importantly, I love the fact that I can carry it around without looking too conspicuous. I should also mention that the learning curve of using a full DSLR can be quite challenging. Two of my other cousins also invested in full DSLR's but hardly use it because they can't quite figure it all out.
I am intrigued by this statement. Why should the learning curve of the NEX 5N be different from an entry level DSLR like the D5k? I mean photography fundamentals must be the same for both (or for any body) so any camera that gives you facility to manually adjust exposure should be equally tough/easy to work with. Its all about turning a few knobs/flipping few screens and that one can learn given sufficient time.

The difficulty is probably the basics (exposure, composition etc) but the camera body can hardly help you there.

Last edited by joslicx : 20th November 2012 at 12:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks