Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2012, 22:45   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I want the bag to be as compact as possible considering I switched from dSLR to EVIL mainly for reducing size.

I have ordered Kata DC-435 on eBay after reading the following reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...DateDescending
You'd be surprised how small it is. It can carry everything in your box plus one or two more compact lenses (1 pancake + 45mm for example) if you dont carry the charger inside. You'll need another small pouch to put the lens hoods, filters etc.

Else if there is still time, change your order to a bigger one like DC-443.
Old 25th November 2012, 23:52   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Welcome to the OM-D club. I didn't know RK had started stocking up on OM-D. When I got it, it was just Jayesh who had them.
Naresh doesn't stock, he got it against my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Anyway, as far as the bag goes I use a Domke F803 which I find is adequate for most of my needs. I can easiy carry the OM-D with 3 to 4 lenses in it. Sometimes, I have carried two bodies and 4 lenses. The material is quite nice and I have found the padding to be pretty good. It has a small slit at the back where you could carry a tablet if you want.
Again, these are big bags. I am looking for storing just OM-D with 12-50 + another lens, that's it. I used the Lowepro Photo runner with the Olympus E3+12-60mm, 50-200 & 50mm all these years. So I won't go for something even bigger for storing OM-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You'd be surprised how small it is. It can carry everything in your box plus one or two more compact lenses (1 pancake + 45mm for example) if you dont carry the charger inside. You'll need another small pouch to put the lens hoods, filters etc.

Else if there is still time, change your order to a bigger one like DC-443.
No, I don't need bigger. If I could, I would like to use something even small than DC-435.

See my bag for E-PL1.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p1020110.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 26th November 2012 at 00:15.
Old 25th November 2012, 23:59   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And so I too became an OM-D owner. I bought it with the 12-50mm lens, but I also have a 9-18mm lens.

Here the pic shows OM-D with 9-18mm lens, have placed it on a CD for size reference.

Attachment 1017923
Congratulations. I have seen that the mirrorless cams start looking big once you attach the lens. My Nex 5n is diminutive, until you attach a lens.
How is olympus lens pricing in India.
Sony likes to charge Indians the same exhorbiant amount they charge in USA. For example, the 18-200 costs 49000 INR in india and 899$ in USA. They are charging this premium for something called active steadyshot for video.
I was getting something like a buyers remorse after getting the 5N. I was wondering, wouldn't a D3200 made more sense(used existing nikon lenses). Then I saw a video shot with the traditional DSLRs(including D3200). In contrast detect, they are simply not upto speed as far as mirroless are concerned. Though panasonic is king of contrast detect AF, the sony thankfully is no slouch.
Would be interesting to see what new lenses(esp 10x kind) come in the mirrorless world. My dream would be a 16-120 kind of lens.
Old 26th November 2012, 23:50   #634
Team-BHP Support

Finally shot some pics using the OM-D. The first target had to be my younger son. But he is a very reluctant model, he keeps moving all the time and he likes to sit away from light. So I had to shoot my first photos in OM-D at ISO800 and 1/20 sec.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb260003.jpg

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb260005.jpg
Old 28th November 2012, 09:18   #635
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday afternoon I got the Kata DC-435. OMG, it is perfect. It feels so good when all the research over internet comes to fruition. I was able to fit the charger, cables, 9-18mm lens, bundled flash, and OM-D mounted with 12-50mm all into the main compartment. The OM-D fits snugly touching any other component, easy to remove and put back. And I am yet to put anything to the side pockets.

This bag is very good, feels much more protective and higher quality than the lowepro bags.

My 6+ year old Lowepro Photo Runner, Kata DC-435 and tiny tamrac in front.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-pb281418.jpg
Old 28th November 2012, 16:23   #636
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for OM-D Samurai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congratulations. I have seen that the mirrorless cams start looking big once you attach the lens. My Nex 5n is diminutive, until you attach a lens.
I was getting something like a buyers remorse after getting the 5N. I was wondering, wouldn't a D3200 made more sense(used existing nikon lenses).
Same here I got EPL-3 with kit , Went to Olympus Camp due to that sensor image stabilization , But If I do kit to Kit Comparison with my good old Canon 500D +18-55 IS , DSLR still wins in terms of IQ , ergonomics and WYSIWG for the image preview on LCD.

May be there is a learning curve for Oly. sometimes I get the feeling may be that Canon EOS-M displayed next to EPL-S would have been a better choice but did not go Canon way due to EOS-M being first mirror-less from Canon and promise of IBIS in EPL-3. May be I will switch over to EOS-M once it becomes more mainstream and affordable.

PS:For those who are looking for OM-D but not very particular on retro look and weather sealing ( lens is still unsealed) have a look at EPL5.

Got a genuine leather shoulder bag with three adjustable internal compartments with my EPL3, really good one to hold body+lens and 2 extra lenses , looks quite retro from 50s though.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th November 2012 at 16:33.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:42   #637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
weather sealing ( lens is still unsealed) have a look at EPL5.
The kit lens 12-50mm is indeed weather sealed.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/14/olympus1250EZ
Old 29th November 2012, 12:18   #638
BHPian

I came across this interesting article from DxOMark which has reviewed the Sony NEX 6 sensor.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...cal-CSC-choice

I have a simple question. Would I loose anything in terms of image quality when I use an adapter to accommodate different lenses on my NEX 6?
Old 29th November 2012, 13:00   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I have a simple question. Would I loose anything in terms of image quality when I use an adapter to accommodate different lenses on my NEX 6?
Not really, Answer depends on the lens being adapted, you may gain something in terms of Image Quality if lens is good.

Only thing one looses in this game is money
Old 29th November 2012, 18:06   #640
BANNED

Quote:
And so I too became an OM-D owner. I bought it with the 12-50mm lens, but I also have a 9-18mm lens.

Here the pic shows OM-D with 9-18mm lens, have placed it on a CD for size reference.

Attachment 1017923

Congrats! Last week, I too finally got the Silver OMD + 45mm f/1.8 and a 9-18mm lens as my starter kit. Next year I plan on affording the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 lens.
Not sure if the Kata will carry the 9-18mm + 35-100 and the OMD with 45mm on it?

--R
Old 30th November 2012, 00:29   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Not really, Answer depends on the lens being adapted, you may gain something in terms of Image Quality if lens is good.

Only thing one looses in this game is money
I would love to have a good Macro lens in the 75 to 105mm range and at the moment there is none for Sony NEX. This lens would be my last investment for the next couple years. Wondering if I should wait till the middle of next year to see if any native E mount lenses would be made available. AFAIK there is none planned. I've contacted many lens manufacturers and they would not give away any information. So the only option for me now is to go with an adapter which I really hate to do.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:51   #642
Senior - BHPian

You can get a reverse macro ring and a cheap prime lens for macro.

I am planning to use my 50mm minolta with the kit lens at 55mm. it willwork wonders at 210/300 mm but I am waiting to see what lens I get in that focal length.

here is an example of minolta attached to 18-55 on nex 5R, picture of a chain link shown earlier in my video in this thread.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc01974.jpg

and here is the same minolta on my fuji HS10, at 720mm . it's a dead house fly. As you can see, DOF at this range is a pain.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dscf7034.jpg
Old 30th November 2012, 07:56   #643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would love to have a good Macro lens in the 75 to 105mm range and at the moment there is none for Sony NEX. This lens would be my last investment for the next couple years.
Honestly, your next investment should be a photography book. I mean no offense. But you have a very serious camera there and you need to pick up the photography knowledge to exploit it.

Please buy and read this book. It is an old classic, but timeless and very relevant even now. You might even end up saving money on lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Shaws-Nature-P...hy+field+guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Congrats! Last week, I too finally got the Silver OMD + 45mm f/1.8 and a 9-18mm lens as my starter kit. Next year I plan on affording the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 lens.
Not sure if the Kata will carry the 9-18mm + 35-100 and the OMD with 45mm on it?
Congrats to you too. Yes, I am very confident Kata DC-435 can handle it. Just move the charger to the outer pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
You can get a reverse macro ring and a cheap prime lens for macro.
Reversing the lens while gives you massive magnification, it takes away a lot in DOF. That makes composition very difficult. In macro photography, composition is extremely important. If you don't get proper composition, you'll only end up with highly enlarged images. I gave up macro photography once I understood this truth. It takes lot more effort than I am willing to put.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th November 2012 at 08:18.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:17   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, your next investment should be a photography book. I mean no offense. But you have a very serious camera there and you need to pick up the photography knowledge to exploit it.

Please buy and read this book. It is an old classic, but timeless and very relevant even now. You might even end up saving money on lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Shaws-Nature-P...hy+field+guide
I was certainly thinking about this and I'm all set to get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX-6-Sna...dp/0321906217/

But the title is not yet released. I will check if I could get the Shaws book on nature photography. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:20   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was certainly thinking about this and I'm all set to get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX-6-Sna...dp/0321906217/
Actually, don't bother with camera specific books. They won't teach you anything about photography, but only about the camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks