Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-46.html)

I've owned this Olympic camera for about 2 months now. I'm very pleased with it!

Jeroen

Amazing news on the OM D. It just give me more pride on owning a Olympus m4/3 myself :)
In fact more and more enthusiasts are looking down to EVIL path, rather than opting for DSLR.

Finally got my GX1 with the kit lens and the 25 1.4. I am quite amazed at the size of this and cant wait to get that 14 2.5 in my hands later this month.

The camera feels quite solid and well built. The AF is quite snappy and the touch interface is quite intuitive. I did some snapshot shooting this morning to see how it performs outside and boy was I surprised. Sharpness is above average with the kit lens. I can say that the humble 14-42 kit lens is sharper than than the Nikon 18-55 DX lens that I have at larger apertures. The body is quite small really and I have a tough time holding it after holding the ergonomically perfect Nikon DSLRs inspite of the little grip that it has.

I kept putting the camera to my eyes only to be be disappointed by the fact that it does not have a view finder. Looks like that the LVF2 is the next thing on shopping list now.

Image quality is quite good and I am quite pleased with my decision to dump my DSLR for travel photography. Yes the dof is quite huge and its difficult to get any decent bokeh especially with the kit lens. I doubt if the 25 1.4 will be any significantly better in this regard. I have not done too much testing with the 25 but I found that its quite sharp even at 1.4 much so than my Nikon 50 1.4. Contrast is also much higher at 1.4. Looks like 25 will be my most used lens with the GX1. I also have a 14 2.5 on order and should be getting it by the end of this month.

Please forgive the quality of subject, composition and blown highlights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 3008236)
Finally got my GX1 with the kit lens and the 25 1.4. I am quite amazed at the size of this and cant wait to get that 14 2.5 in my hands later this month.

:thumbs upCongrats on the GX1, read review on dpreview after seeing your post. Great camera. Fully equipped to fulfil the requirements for which you bought it at first place.

I've also had little trouble handling my E PL5, but after couple of days it just felt good and firm in my hand.
I second you opinion on the kit lens, Plus like the way it collapses, when not in use. Very convenient to carry.

Hey SPARKled

pretty nice piece of equipment there. Where did you buy the 25mm and how much did it cost? I want to get a prime myself for my OM-D and am looking at either 20mm or the 25mm (whatever is available). It is so hard to get Panasonic lenses here in India. Nobody seems to stock them :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 3012037)
It is so hard to get Panasonic lenses here in India. Nobody seems to stock them :(

Why don't you look for a Oly lens then? That's what the m4/3 family is about:). Is there any compactability issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arunshek (Post 3012049)
Why don't you look for a Oly lens then? That's what the m4/3 family is about:). Is there any compactability issue?

Is there any Oly worth looking at (except the 45 which I will be getting soon)? Their 17mm 1.8 doesnt excite me (too pricy) and 12mm I dont need. My preference is actually getting the cute little panasonic 20mm. I am looking for a general purpose prime that I can use indoors (as thats where I find myself shooting mostly).

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 3012037)
Hey SPARKled

pretty nice piece of equipment there. Where did you buy the 25mm and how much did it cost? I want to get a prime myself for my OM-D and am looking at either 20mm or the 25mm (whatever is available). It is so hard to get Panasonic lenses here in India. Nobody seems to stock them :(

My preference is actually getting the cute little panasonic 20mm. I am looking for a general purpose prime that I can use indoors (as thats where I find myself shooting mostly

Yes its pretty tough to source Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses in india. I got my 25 from B&H USA for $499. It was delivered to me by a friend who was travelling to India. I have also ordered a 14 2.5 from ebay for about $175 and these are easily available to be delivered in India by ebay Global Easy Buy. You could try that option. My next will be the Oly 45 which I will buy from India as I have found that its cheaper here than in USA.

The price difference between a 20 and 25 is now less than $150 give and take $10. So the 25 should be a better lens IMHO. What you get for this money is better bokeh, faster focusing, bigger aperture, a normal focal length and probably slightly better microcontrast.

Anybody bought apps for sony nex? interval shooting app looks interesting, but is priced at 10$. from what I hear it gives you 10 keys though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 3013745)
Anybody bought apps for sony nex? interval shooting app looks interesting, but is priced at 10$. from what I hear it gives you 10 keys though.

I loaded all the free ones. Planning to get the time lapse app. I found the remote control app a good alternative for a cable release and family portraits. But the other free ones were not that interesting to me.

Sony India has launched the NEX-5R for 39990 and NEX6 for 49990.Also launched was the RX1 which has a full frame sensor.They have also launched new E-mount lenses .

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim120 (Post 3013890)
Sony India has launched the NEX-5R for 39990 and NEX6 for 49990.Also launched was the RX1 which has a full frame sensor.They have also launched new E-mount lenses .

How do you know that? their website has no such news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3013900)
How do you know that? their website has no such news.

This happened at the consumer electronics fair in Delhi
http://www.fonearena.com/tech/digita...in-india/3173/

I guess sony is taking the indian market somewhat seriously as they expect lot of expansion here
BTW I spoke to a dealer for SEL 18200 and he tried to coax me into selling my 5N and buying an Alpha + 18-200. The 18-200 lens costs more than sony Alpha body + 18-200 on A mount.
Go figure.

@Samurai
They are always late to update their website,you can go to the Alpha Flagship stores where they have it listed in their store inventory and also listed in the catalog.
They also have all the A-mount lenses and accessories in india.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/cameras/news...cameras-314269

@tsk1979
Did you go to that expo ?.In their annual press release they specifically mentioned about India has their key market.They are no 1 in mirrorless camera,compact digital cameras and video cameras in India.

Sony bought 11.46% of Olympus (investing about US$ 644 million) last year. They aim to get some of Olympus' lens tech, and give sensor tech to Olympus. Synergy definitely, and may be a step towards owning Oly?