Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-52.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 3023249)
I'm not sure about the 19mm but the 30mm is worth the buy. I have the 30mm slammed on my NEX 6 all the time. I simply love the IQ. It does not have image stabilization but you would not realize that it hasn't got one. I would recommend to go for this deal.

Oh! Did you opt for this deal? Is 30mm good for portrait/indoor/street photography? Could you please share some pics taken with this lens?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 3023253)
Oh! Did you opt for this deal? Is 30mm good for portrait/indoor/street photography? Could you please share some pics taken with this lens?

Thanks!

I bought the 30mm last year November. There was no such deal available at that point in time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joesans/

The above link is where I post all my pics. Most of them are shot with the Sigma 30mm while for some of those shots were shot with the Wallimex 8mm fisheye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 3023253)

Thanks!

I did and I must say Sigma has outdone themselves giving amazing price to performance ratio. Both lenses are very good. I haven't used the 30mm yet, but used the 19mm and couldn't be any happier than that. What surprised me the most was the minimum focus distance and the silent but fast AF. If you're looking at those focal lengths, get them. I think Sony just announced a 20mm pancake lens yesterday.

Also, in other news, 5 companies have joined micro four thirds. Good times for this system:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...ourthirdse.jsp

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 3020746)

Lower mAH battery means lower battery life , but it does not mean that peak current for load can not be delivered.

Both LP-E6 (60D/7D) and LP-E12 are 7.2V so this means LP-E12 will last about 40% less time then LP-E6 for same load.

As per my understanding there is also a peak current / power constraint with most batteries. It is defined as the C rate or discharge rate.

For example if you have a 100mAh battery, it means that at the given voltage (for Li the cell voltage is around 3.7) it can supply 100mA for 1 hour. This means that it should supply 1 Amp for 6 min, right? But it is often not the case.

Now, this depends on the chemistry and the management system, but most batteries cannot operate at more than 3-4C. Thus you cannot draw more than 400mA current from it.

Hence, a low capacity battery can impact peak power.

:OT And now, even cars are going mirror-less. This is the tech I was waiting for.

Can we expect our dressing room mirrors to go the same way? Imagine a person using a mirror that is actually a HD 1080p or 4K screen fed by a small hi definition and low light capable digital camera fitted to the top of the screen much like a web cam is today. Want to examine that spot carefully, no problem use digital zoom, even in relatively low light. :D

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ew-mirror.html

The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is really magical. It is just so so much better than the kit lens on the OM-D

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p1260016_1.jpg

Here a pic I took today morning. Not yet upto the very high standards set by people here but it is the best pic I've taken so far. It is quite sharp (I could see my reflection in her eyes). I guess my next investment should be a good flash. I also took some videos with the kit lens today morning and those have come out great. IS helps with videos a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 3025308)
The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is really magical. Here a pic I took today morning.

Love this photo, nicely exposed. Did you PP it a bit - especially the lighting?

The little girl is so cute and helps make this photo so much easier to like :)

Quote:

The Olympus 45mm f1.8 is really magical. It is just so so much better than the kit lens on the OM-D

Exactly, at the Bangalore OTR, I was offering free portrait shots using 45mm to offroad friends and there were lots of takers once they saw the results.

TBHP Moderator Jaggu under street light.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p1250189.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3025409)
Love this photo, nicely exposed. Did you PP it a bit - especially the lighting?

This is in camera jpeg. It was resized (1/4 size) to meet TBHP requirements. I guess that is bit lossy process.

Quote:

The little girl is so cute and helps make this photo so much easier to like :)
she is my little angel. there was a time when I did not have the omD she loved posing for the camera. But nowdays she is a very difficult customer! She cannot keep still and its difficult to take pics indoors.

By the way, any tips for shooting children?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3025505)
Exactly, at the Bangalore OTR, I was offering free portrait shots using 45mm to offroad friends and there were lots of takers once they saw the results.

As always great picture. Any tips with this lens :)

I found it to be an entirely different experience shooting with this one compared to the kit (12-50) one. Just two days back was my daughter's birthday and it was difficult to work with it indoors. A wide angle prime is very much needed I guess.

Quote:

Nice one with very natural colors. Did you need to fine tune or adjust the WB for street/sodium vapor lamps? Or is that on auto WB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 3025525)
But nowdays she is a very difficult customer! She cannot keep still and its difficult to take pics indoors. By the way, any tips for shooting children?

I'd say you need a camera with fast AF for kids that don't stay still. AFAIK the OM-D's AF is a bit of a slug. You can compensate for this by using manually pre-focusing and using high ISO (as high as it can go w/o image degradation) and high shutter speeds where possible. If lighting is a serious problem try a flash.

Mind you this is just generic advice. But given the OM-D's unique capabilities current OM-D users will be able to advise you better. I haven't even held this camera in my hands. :)

Quote:

I am still learning with this lens, don't have any special tips. I stick to single point AF in the center. Also use center weighted metering for portraits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3025559)
Nice one with very natural colors. Did you need to fine tune or adjust the WB for street/sodium vapor lamps? Or is that on auto WB?

Thanks. I always leave it in auto WB. Did some auto color correction in PS.

I am satisfied with the AF in OM-D. Can't say I ever lost a shot due to slow AF. I shot the Bangalore OTR with OM-D & 12-50mm in extremely dusty trails. Let's see whether the weather resistance really works. But my main requirement has been met. I was able to jump in and out the Jeep 100s of times with the camera bag hanging across my shoulder.

Quote:

A good photo to being with :). I'm sure you'll start making some awesome portraits with this lens, just get used to the focal length for now.

Quote:

The 45mm is a very special lens. I know many people would say it's expensive when compared to the Canon 50mm, but having used both extensively, I'd clearly pick the Oly 45 over nifty fifty. There's something special about the way this lens renders. Most photos with this lens need the least PP. It's bigger brother, the 75mm is making a lot of noise:

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-75mm...-mft-lens-yet/

The best part about using these MFT lenses is that they don't have to be stopped down at all. Most of them perform very well wide open.

Quote:

she is my little angel. there was a time when I did not have the omD she loved posing for the camera. But nowdays she is a very difficult customer! She cannot keep still and its difficult to take pics indoors.

By the way, any tips for shooting children?

I found it to be an entirely different experience shooting with this one compared to the kit (12-50) one. Just two days back was my daughter's birthday and it was difficult to work with it indoors. A wide angle prime is very much needed I guess.

Don't ask her to keep still and try and cover more, especially when she's playing with her toys or is doing her homework or something like that. That would give you so much more. Instead of a flash, I'd suggest you get the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 which can be bought very cheap on ebay. I think a lot of Ebay HK sellers sell it for around $150. Well worth it if you ask me.

As far the tip with lens goes, the colors are slightly on the cooler side. Try cloudy WB during early morning or late evening and see if you like the tones with that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3025559)

I'd say you need a camera with fast AF for kids that don't stay still. AFAIK the OM-D's AF is a bit of a slug. You can compensate for this by using manually pre-focusing and using high ISO (as high as it can go w/o image degradation) and high shutter speeds where possible. If lighting is a serious problem try a flash.

Mind you this is just generic advice. But given the OM-D's unique capabilities current OM-D users will be able to advise you better. I haven't even held this camera in my hands. :)

The AWB on OM-D is quite good. I have seen very few instances where I had to choose the WB manually, but otherwise it's spot on. And the AF is super quick. Of course, the AF with 20mm is bad as that lens is known for slow AF. Oly does claim that they have the fastest AF in the world. I don't know how true that is, but I have mostly found it accurate and fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 3025623)
The AWB on OM-D is quite good. I have seen very few instances where I had to choose the WB manually, but otherwise it's spot on. And the AF is super quick. Of course, the AF with 20mm is bad as that lens is known for slow AF. Oly does claim that they have the fastest AF in the world. I don't know how true that is, but I have mostly found it accurate and fast.

Coming from an experienced users like yourself & Samurai it's good to hear AF is speedy in real life usage. I was going by what DP Review had said in their review in Apr 2012. And HW, I've been following the OM-D closely for reasons you are well aware of lol:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/11

The AF is supposed to be unreliable in continuous AF mode & focus tracking which I guess random moving objects & small children require. :) Well, guess a firmware update or an OM-D II may improve upon this.

None of the NEX cameras are available any where in Pune. All SONY exclusive centers said that they don't have a single NEX (even the 3 or 5) in stock and don't know when they will receive new stock. That's lame.:deadhorse

And who was that saying Sony NEX is easy to obtain than Olympus? :)