Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-53.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3025786)
And who was that saying Sony NEX is easy to obtain than Olympus? :)

Oooops! Was it me? If yes, then I may have overrated Sony India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute (Post 3025784)
None of the NEX cameras are available any where in Pune. All SONY exclusive centers said that they don't have a single NEX (even the 3 or 5) in stock and don't know when they will receive new stock. That's lame.:deadhorse

NEX 3 and 5 was on a clearance sale and have been sold out,new models such as the NEX5r and NEX 6 have been introduced by Sony india but are not yet available in showrooms.Some one in Sony india facebook page had asked about this here is what he got has reply
"We have introduced the NEX 5R and NEX 6 cameras in India. These cameras are available on request, we suggest you visit the nearest Sony Center and inquire for these cameras. Our team there can help you procure these cameras. In case you face a problem, do write back to us."

Sony India is just not interested in selling the Nex line in India. I was searching for the 50mm 1.8 lens sometime back and finally after getting no reply from any of the online and brick and motar stores, I decided to go to Sony world in Bangalore. The actually had the gall to quote Rs. 50,000 for a lens that costs around 300 USD. I finally went for the 30mm 2.8 Lens from Sigma and I must say its really a very good lens for the price.

I really dont know how good is the availablity of Oly/Pana lens's as I remember going around shops about 1 1/2 years ago and the availability of lens's was equally dismal. Maybe its better now.

I am going to HK later this year, so will make it a point to pick up the 50mm 1.8 lens from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 3029432)
I finally went for the 30mm 2.8 Lens from Sigma and I must say its really a very good lens for the price.
I am going to HK later this year, so will make it a point to pick up the 50mm 1.8 lens from there.

How much you had to shell out for Sigma 30mm and also how are the pics on the same? Is it good for portraits/street photos?

Costed me around 10k all inclusive. This had shipping from Us and customs. It's a god all round lens. For street as well as for portraits

Today I took a bite of a rather delectable fruit from the fast growing MLC tree. And here it is. :D

I chose the silver/black as a change over my all black Nikon gear. This camera is a first in 3 ways:

a) My very first non-Nikon interchangeable lens camera
b) My very first MFT & EVIL camera
c) My very first silver/black camera

There are plenty of folks here on TBHP who have substantial experience not the least of which are Samurai and Hellwrath. So looking for help as I take my very first steps into the world of MFT cameras.

Lenses they will be limited to a max of 3-4 including the kit lens. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of portability and the wife (this is for her too) does NOT like lugging weight around. Please help me with suggestions for good Oly lenses in wide, normal-wide (i.e. 35 or 50mm FX equivalent), and telephoto (say 70-300 FX equivalent).

A nice compact bag - maybe the one Samurai uses will do for me too.

Some random thoughts -

a) I liked the build of the camera but just a trifle disappointed to see its made in China. Guess there are no Made in Japan OM-Ds?
b) The shutter button is pretty decent but a bit 'rubbery'.
c) Dials are firm and smooth. Nice!

I look forward to spending a lot of time with this little cutie.

Cheers!

WOW! Congrats R2D2. This got acquired much faster than I had anticipated.

Congrats on your O-MD. Now again lenses will depend on what you prefer. There are the 2.8 zooms or the much faster primes. If it has to be the small prime kit, 12 2, 25 1.4, 45 1.8 and the 75 1.8 is the best of the best. If zooms are what you need, the 12-35 2.8 and the 35-100 2.8 will do nicely, which although much bigger than the small primes are still way smaller than the regular 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 zooms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukiwa (Post 3033555)
WOW! Congrats R2D2. This got acquired much faster than I had anticipated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 3033574)
Congrats on your O-MD. Now again lenses will depend on what you prefer. There are the 2.8 zooms or the much faster primes. If it has to be the small prime kit, 12 2, 25 1.4, 45 1.8 and the 75 1.8 is the best of the best. If zooms are what you need, the 12-35 2.8 and the 35-100 2.8 will do nicely, which although much bigger than the small primes are still way smaller than the regular 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 zooms.

Thanks guys. The battery is now being charged and a check for a firmware update will be done thereafter.

I've been thinking about this camera for many months. Just thought I'd sit it out to check camera reviews. Once satisfied/convinced I purchased it.

I took a few test snaps to check the 2nd electronic viewfinder I have ever seen in my life. The 1st was a friend's Sony which I absolutely abhored.

This EV is good! I am happy. Yes, there's a lag when you pan the camera but it's not bad..MUCH better than I expected. The EVF brightens up in low light..not accustomed to seeing that in my OVF cameras. :) BTW, I am not comparing it to the D4/D800 pentaprism OVFs, as I feel that's not a fair comparison. Will accept this EVF as is, warts and all and leverage its features to the max. :D

Now to the lenses. Thanks for your suggestions SPARKled. After handling my Nikon monsters this is a big change and a relief. I am not looking to build a comprehensive collection, just 3 good Oly lenses. I'll check out your suggestions and the prices as well. Plan to build this EVIL lens kit slowly over a period of time. BTW, I liked the 'electronic' zoom on the kit lens. Quite nifty. BTW, do we get UV/clear glass filters for the Oly kit lens?

Hey forgot to add that I got a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC card. Don't believe I'll need more storage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3033542)
I chose the silver/black as a change over my all black Nikon gear. This camera is a first in 3 ways:

a) My very first non-Nikon interchangeable lens camera
b) My very first MFT & EVIL camera
c) My very first silver/black camera

Congrats! I knew this was coming soon.:D Great choice on the silver/black. I am actually kicking myself for buying black since some lenses come only in silver. Dual color body would work well with any color lens.

The bag, just close your eyes and buy Kata DC 435. It is so manageable, it was totally non-intrusive in the field, I did the entire Bangalore OTR while my entire EVIL system hanging by the shoulder. I could jump in and out of the Jeep while carrying the whole system. You can carry OM-D mounted with long lens (12-50mm) and two more medium size lenses in the main compartment, and store the chargers and cables in the side pockets. And I can also put the fully loaded DC435 into any of my backpacks when needed. It is bloody perfect.

All Olympus bodies I have owned (E-500, E-3, E-PL1 & OM-D) are made in China. Only lenses are made in Japan, haven't checked the latest ones.

Your first lens should be 45mm F/1.8, the best VFM lens, it is too delicious at that price. The M.Zuiko 12-50mm is good, but is a slow lens. But it is also a macro lens, that is the good thing. But it is looong, that is the bad thing. The Pany 12-35mm F/2.8 sounds great on paper, but the reviews are not that great. It is the not considered good enough for the price.

Edit: Just saw that you also got the kit lens, that was not clear in the first post. Then buy 45mm for now and get used to the camera for a while.

Man I am Jealous.
On lens front, no-brainer will be Oly 45mm f1.8.
Also go for that Oly 17mm f1.8 which was launched recently. Pricey however. $500.
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-Zuik.../dp/B00A7Q9U9Y

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3033629)
BTW, do we get UV/clear glass filters for the Oly kit lens?

Yes, I had one B&W UV filter on my Zuiko 50mm, which I had removed before selling the lens. Luckily, the filter size was same for 12-50mm.:thumbs up

And do get the UV filter. I lost the lens cap in the OTR event. The M4/3 lens caps are very easy to lose. I have dropped the lens caps of 9-18mm so many times, but still haven't lost it. But with 12-50mm, I lost it for good. This is the first time I lost a lens cap. Now only the filter is protecting the lens until I get another lens cap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3033647)
Congrats! I knew this was coming soon.:D Great choice on the silver/black. I am actually kicking myself for buying black since some lenses come only in silver. Dual color body would work well with any color lens.

Thanks Samurai. :thumbs up You are right it was boiling over for some time now. And I did gave sufficient 'hints' in my posts in the EVIL cameras thread. I fell for this camera months ago soon after it was released. :D

Though my first preference was black the dealer asked me to check this out as well. And given I love the camera's retro looks, the silver/black combination won me over. Just makes it look so much like the OM-1. And you are absolutely right, a silver/black body will go with either a black or silver lens.

Quote:

The bag, just close your eyes and buy Kata DC 435. And I can also put the fully loaded DC435 into any of my backpacks when needed. It is bloody perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion. Was searching this thread for the bag you purchased and you mentioned it right here. Yes I am looking at the Kata very seriously. May go in for it too.

Quote:

Your first lens should be 45mm F/1.8, the best VFM lens, it is too delicious at that price. The M.Zuiko 12-50mm is good, but is a slow lens. But it is also a macro lens, that is the good thing. But it is looong, that is the bad thing. The Pany 12-35mm F/2.8 sounds great on paper, but the reviews are not that great. It is the not considered good enough for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3033663)
Yes, I had one B&W UV filter on my Zuiko 50mm, which I had removed before selling the lens. Luckily, the filter size was same for 12-50mm.:thumbs up

And do get the UV filter. I lost the lens cap in the OTR event. The M4/3 lens caps are very easy to lose. I have dropped the lens caps of 9-18mm so many times, but still haven't lost it. But with 12-50mm, I lost it for good. This is the first time I lost a lens cap.

Thanks for these tips. Appreciate it. I generally don't use a lens without a filter and have been pretty vocal about this in the DSLR thread. Except for the Nikon super teles, all my lenses are fitted with UV/clear glass filters. This is only to protect the front element. Yes, it may have a small impact on IQ, but I am willing to take that hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 3033650)
On lens front, no-brainer will be Oly 45mm f1.8. Also go for that Oly 17mm f1.8 which was launched recently. Pricey however. $500.

Thanks mate! Will check that out as well.

PS - Budget is a bit strained right now. Will get used to this new system and start 'accessorising' it (with a couple of lenses) as and when I am familiar.

congrats R2D2. That silver/black is so good looking. Makes the OM-D EM5 even more of a classic as far as styling is concerned. That is something my black edition lacks I think.

As far the bag choice, Kata is good but if you are gonna build a complete system with 3-4 lenses, flash etc as well then consider the Think Tank Retrospective 5. It is costly (about 5k at discountsvu.com) but a very very good bag. Even Kata does not come close to that in terms of quality. Just check out its reviews on youtube.

As for wide prime, I think Panasonic 20mm might be better alternative to the Olympus 17mm f1.8. Cheaper by $150 and I am yet to read a negative review of that one! Its recommended even over the PL 25mm f1.4!

And yes, you've been recommended the Oly 45mm but would love to see you pick up the 75mm instead, given your proclivity for long lenses :)

Also, consider M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 if you fancy 24mm EFL prime. That is a stellar lens.