Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-55.html)

The only problem I found while changing lenses on my gx1 vs my Nikons is that the lens rotates on the opposite side of that of the Nikons. Is Olympus the same? The first day I spent quite a bit of time before I realized my folly when changing lenses on my gx1 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 3034342)
I usually orchestrate a sequence when changing lenses on my OMD

That's a pretty fair description of the process I follow, only I never do a lens change on the run. Lenses are changed in a car or a room to prevent dust contamination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 3034342)
By this time usually a moving subject is gone or my amnesia kicks in

rl: rl: That applies to me too.

Interchangeable lenses may be a blessing in getting the shot you want...if that moment doesnt pass you by whilst changing the lens. And unless you are shooting landscapes or still subjects it almost always does. Best is a do-it-all wide to tele zoom. But that will come with compromises on IQ. Can't have it all I guess. But I'd rather have the pic as I am not a pixel peeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 3034373)
lenses on my gx1 vs my Nikons is that the lens rotates on the opposite side of that of the Nikons. Is Olympus the same?

Yes, Oly also turns clockwise to lock instead of the anti-clockwise motion with Nikon's F mount.

I noted how the body cap locked and unlocked so I would not try and turn the lens in the wrong direction whilst mounting it on the camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3033671)
Yes I am looking at the Kata very seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3033671)
all my lenses are fitted with UV/clear glass filters. This is only to protect the front element. Yes, it may have a small impact on IQ, but I am willing to take that hit.

Thanks for your suggestions Samurai.

I've ordered a Hoya HD 52mm UV filter for the zoom lens and a Kata DC-441bag. The DC-435 wasn't in stock so took the next bigger model as I intend to store all related accessories including extra lenses (when I purchase em) charger, cord and other miscellaneous items for e.g. a blower and cleaning tools in this bag.

And yes in a season of 'firsts' here's another. After having nearly always used used Lowepro (and Tamrac once many years ago) this will be my very first Kata. Have heard a lot of good things about Kata and other new brands like Think Tank.

I was happy to read this thread about the weather sealing on the Oly. Gives me additional confidence in its build quality.

http://www.mu-43.com/f56/waves-crash...ets-wet-28571/

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/hardcore-we...50-lens-24755/

Damn, too bad DC435 isn't available. That one is really portable.

Regarding the weather sealing, keep in mind that among m.Zuiko lenses only 12-50mm and 60mm are weather sealed.

Congratulations R2D2, welcome to the family ;). BTW, if you have not done so already, go through this link and setup your OM-D to perform at its best:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/911...e-olympus-e-m5

The OM-D has a LOT of features that we may not even be aware of, so the dpreview link is a good place to start setting up your camera. Enable the SCP, it's a life saver. Enable the highlight/shadow clipping information. Basically, your live view will show if an area in your image is getting blown out (highlight or shadow). I use this instead of histogram and again, it has saved me many a times.

As far as the lenses go, I'd suggest your wife to use the kit lens for a month and note the focal lengths most used and then buy the right lenses. If I were to suggest right now, I'd say get the Panasonic 14mm, 25mm, Oly 45mm and 75mm. These will cover a good range and should be more than enough for your wife's needs. The 14mm is quite cheap but the rest are quite expensive ($350-$850), but they're all amazing lenses. Let me know if you need any other info and I'd be glad to help out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 3035002)
Congratulations R2D2, welcome to the family BTW, if you have not done so already, go through this link and setup your OM-D to perform at its best:.

Thanks Veeresh. Hey! Where were you all these days?! :D Yeah, I finally joined the Oly + EVIL/MLC family yesterday. BTW that link was really helpful!

Quote:

Enable the SCP, it's a life saver. Enable the highlight/shadow clipping information. Basically, your live view will show if an area in your image is getting blown out (highlight or shadow). I use this instead of histogram and again, it has saved me many a times..

Ah! Now that's the kind of guidance that I want from a Oly practitioner. :thumbs up

Quote:

If I were to suggest right now, I'd say get the Panasonic 14mm, 25mm, Oly 45mm and 75mm. Let me know if you need any other info and I'd be glad to help out.

Thanks for the lens suggestions and bigger thanks for your offer to answer my queries. That's really great. As for additional lenses, they will come but in due course once I figure out what I really need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3035029)
Thanks Veeresh. Hey! Where were you all these days?! :D Yeah, I finally joined the Oly + EVIL/MLC family yesterday. BTW that link was really helpful!

Ah! Now that's the kind of guidance that I want from a Oly practitioner. :thumbs up

Thanks for the lens suggestions and bigger thanks for your offer to answer my queries. That's really great. As for additional lenses, they will come but in due course once I figure out what I really need.

Ha ha, I am around, just invisible and surfing in offline mode :). There are many features on the OM-D that I haven't seen anywhere else, so it'd probably take a while to get used to it. If you do long exposures, try the "Live Time" mode which will show you how the image is forming and it lets you stop when you want to. Usually, we'd just choose a shutter speed, shoot and then re-adjust. With an OM-D, you can start and it'll show you how the live image as it's happening, that I thought was really really cool.

Also, if you like to fine tune focus often, you might want to set the AF to "S-AF + MF". So, basically it converts all your native lenses to Full time AF. You let the camera lock the AF and then just turn the MF ring to fine tune the focus. Additionally, you can set the camera to magnify every time you shift to MF. This works in "S-AF + MF" mode as well :).

I think I should stop as I can keep going on, but I am sure you'll figure out most of them soon. Have fun with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3033542)
Today I took a bite of a rather delectable fruit from the fast growing MLC tree. And here it is. :D

I chose the silver/black as a change over my all black Nikon gear. This camera is a first in 3 ways:

a) My very first non-Nikon interchangeable lens camera
b) My very first MFT & EVIL camera
c) My very first silver/black camera

Congratulations R2D2 ! clap:

Where did you buy it from, online or store? What was the on-road (:)) price, if you don't mind sharing.

Happy Clicking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute (Post 3035285)
Congratulations R2D2 ! clap:

Where did you buy it from, online or store? What was the on-road (:)) price, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks Ajay. Unlike my Nikon cameras/lenses, I got this camera kit thru a normal retail channel in Camp. It cost me Rs 68K with the kit lens. Not bad eh?

My 1st choice was Camshot. I had called and they quoted the same price. It wasn't in stock. They wanted an advance & 2-3 days to obtain the camera for me.

I want to visit the Camshot store some day. I will buy 1-2 Oly lenses in the future and would like to route it thru them. Their prices are competitive.

This MG Rd. Camp dealer (Maharashtra Stores, it's not a dedicated camera store but does deal in electronic items including mobiles, tablets and cameras) had it in stock. Though I wanted the black one at the beginning, a look at the silver body in person sealed the deal. Silver just looks more 'retro' than the black. It's a nice change from the all-black Nikon kit.

Congratulations R2D2 for all the big ticket purchases and OM-D.
68K is good price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 3035342)
Congratulations R2D2 for all the big ticket purchases and OM-D. 68K is good price.

Thanks Amit.

Don't remind me about the quantum of spend on cameras & lenses. lol:

I've been experimenting with the new camera and kit lens (pretty good lens) and have more or less decided on a 45mm F/1.8 and 70mm 1.8 primes for now. Compared to my Nikons the m4/3 lens range is reasonably priced! Great! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 3036301)
Thave more or less decided on a 45mm F/1.8 and 70mm 1.8 primes for now.

I guess you mean 75mm 1.8, you are buying two portrait lenses right away?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3036314)
I guess you mean 75mm 1.8, you are buying two portrait lenses right away?

Yikes! Thanks for the alert. Keep forgetting the 2x crop factor on MFTs. Not used to conversions :-)

I wanted a 35-50mm and/or 85mm FF equivalent. Is there something available? I prefer Olympus as I am told Panny lenses have IS built in and it needs to be switched off. No point paying extra for a feature already in the body.

The 45mm 1.8 is 90mm EFL, so that is close to 85mm FF. Frankly, I don't know what I can do with 75mm (150mm EFL) portrait lens. Not into candid portraits.

In the 35-50mm range, there is no perfect prime. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (no IS) comes close, but has massive vignetting at lower Fs.

With the current offering, the 12mm is the only prime I might consider, but that is outside of your desired FL range.

I am using the panasonic 25 and I quite like it and no its not true that all panasonic lenses have VR.