Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 19:00   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I am using the panasonic 25 and I quite like it and no its not true that all panasonic lenses have VR.
Can't see this lens listed at Panasonic India's web site. How much did it cost you and did you buy it in the US? I am aware this is a pretty expensive lens. IIRC Panny lenses are more expensive coz of the 'halo' Leica suffix/tag.

The problem with Sony and Panny is the limited introduction of their products in India. If Nikon and Canon can go the whole hog I wonder what holds these 2 companies back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The 45mm 1.8 is 90mm EFL, so that is close to 85mm FF. Frankly, I don't know what I can do with 75mm (150mm EFL) portrait lens. Not into candid portraits
Thanks Sharath.

Going forward I'll need to keep the 2x crop factor firmly in my head.

I need just a couple of fast and good lenses. Based on reviews at Ming Thein's and other sites I have ordered the 75mm and 45mm Oly primes. I checked on the Oly 17mm which would be just what I am looking for and is available online. Reasonably priced too. But doesn't have very good reviews.

PS - I really need to get my head out of the Nikon/Canon world and look around. When I read some Oly lenses have 'ZERO' coating I thought they were uncoated lenses. I began to wonder why Oly's lenses were made so and discovered a few minutes back that it stands for "Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical" HAHA!

PPS - On 2nd thought maybe I should give that 17mm 1.8 another dekko.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2013 at 19:28.
Old 8th February 2013, 20:38   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Can't see this lens listed at Panasonic India's web site. How much did it cost you and did you buy it in the US? I am aware this is a pretty expensive lens. IIRC Panny lenses are more expensive coz of the 'halo' Leica suffix/tag.

The problem with Sony and Panny is the limited introduction of their products in India. If Nikon and Canon can go the whole hog I wonder what holds these 2 companies back!
The Panasonic 20mm is an awesome lens. A lot of people don't like it because of its "clinical drawing" or whatever that means. They prefer 25mm over 20mm, but it's much bigger and heavier than the 20mm. Also, the 20mm struggles a bit when it comes to AF. On OM-D, it's even worse. So, I'd say get the 25mm f1.4 if you have the funds for it . That'll give you 50mm (135 equiv.) and the Oly 45mm will give you 90mm (135 equiv.).

This was shot with a 20mm wide open on OM-D, I don't see vignetting at all:

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-7670109838_2a5112e37d_c.jpg
Old 8th February 2013, 21:07   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need just a couple of fast and good lenses. Based on reviews at Ming Thein's and other sites I have ordered the 75mm and 45mm Oly primes. I checked on the Oly 17mm which would be just what I am looking for and is available online. Reasonably priced too. But doesn't have very good reviews.
R2D2, I am yet to come across a bad actual user review of the Panasonic 20mm . Sure some experts complained of CA issues (apparent with Oly cameras more as Panasonic cameras correct for them in the body) and slower auto focus, but it is said to be the lens that should be the first one to be bought for the m4/3 system. Most actual users are pretty happy with it and there are lot of forums with amazing pics taken with it.

I will be getting it myself (and will probably then try to sell the kit lens). Have somebody coming from US in near future so will get it from there. Its a pity its not available in India so easily (here in Bangalore foto circle quoted me 30k as the price with 10% discount, you can get the PL 25mm in US for that much). I am also thinking of getting the FL-600R flash and the Panasonic 45-200 for tele needs.

Last edited by joslicx : 8th February 2013 at 21:10.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:12   #829
Senior - BHPian

@R2D2: Yes I got mine from B&H for $499 and frankly with just approximately $150 difference between the 20 1.7 and the 25 1.4, you gain faster focussing, 1.4 aperture, better bokeh and arguably better micro contrast. So really its a no brainer vs the 20 except for may be the bigger size and weight penalty. Its about the size of a Nikkor 50 1.4 so not really too big.

If you are looking for something really small, get the cheap little 14 2.5, its seriously small and makes my GX1 really pocketable. You get it from ebay for about $180.

Last edited by SPARKled : 8th February 2013 at 21:22.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:28   #830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
This was shot with a 20mm wide open on OM-D, I don't see vignetting at all:
Hmm, that is very different than the review here: http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou..._20_17?start=1

Since we Indian buyers can never check the lens before buying, we have to rely on what review sites say.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:52   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, that is very different than the review here: http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou..._20_17?start=1

Since we Indian buyers can never check the lens before buying, we have to rely on what review sites say.
Here is a much more favorable review of the 20mm

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pa...s-review-17550

Just look at that resolution chart!!!
Old 8th February 2013, 21:58   #832
BHPian

Quote:

I know that feeling, so I usually go by photos that I see on Flickr than these reviews. There's vignetting, but not a lot. In fact, a bit of vignette helps highlight the subject a bit more. And, I usually don't correct for vignette in my photos and in a few cases I add it .

BTW, I saw your post on "The DSLR thread" about DNG converter. I'd recommend getting LR 4.3 which is quite cheap and using that to process your photos to some extent and then taking it to CS4. The LR 4.3 is amazing when it comes to fixing chromatic aberrations. To be honest, I have not gone to CS4 after LR. I just need to get the Nik software plugins for LR now.
Old 8th February 2013, 21:59   #833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Here is a much more favorable review of the 20mm
They don't even mention vignetting.
Old 8th February 2013, 22:31   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They don't even mention vignetting.
Thats true. nevertheless, it is highly regarded lens. On amazon, 157 out of 187 users have given it 5 stars and rest of them 4 stars.

You can compare the sharpness with their review of hte much celebrated Nikon 35mm f1.8

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ni...s-review-16650

The Panasonic just blows it away!
Old 9th February 2013, 13:03   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since we Indian buyers can never check the lens before buying, we have to rely on what review sites say
That's very true.

And given unit to unit variations in quality you run a bit of a gamble. For e.g. quite a few FX photogs recommend the do-it-all Nikon 28-300 zoom. Not an inexpensive lens by any means. My copy was soft from 200mm onwards and I got rid of it within a few months.

The good thing about getting a sealed box is that you are assured of no returns. A bit of a bug bear in western countries especially the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Its about the size of a Nikkor 50 1.4 so not really too big.
I took my Nikon 50mm 1.4G and put it in front of the Oly. It looks big! The 50mm 1.4D was smaller. Guess this PL 50mm is the size of the Nikon's D version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
R2D2, I am yet to come across a bad actual user review of the Panasonic 20mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
So, I'd say get the 25mm f1.4 if you have the funds for it .
Yes, I am aiming for the PL 25mm. But the Oly 18mm, even if it isn't quite as good as the PL 50, is also being considered. Availability of Panny lenses is an issue for me. Not looking to buy via B&H unless it is an absolute must-have.

My kit will be limited to a max of 4 lenses including the kit lens. Given I have already purchased the 45 and 75 there's room for only 1 more. May just shoot for the newer 75-300 ED 'II' telezoom once it is available here. Version II was released last month and scheduled to be available from March onwards.
Old 9th February 2013, 13:06   #836
Senior - BHPian

Yes that's right, I was talking about the 50 1.4 D and not the G.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:34   #837
Team-BHP Support

Some photos/videos from the OM-D (the mugshots using 45mm): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3037764

I definitely need to buy a ND filter for the 45mm lens, otherwise very difficult use in bright sun light.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:18   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics Samurai. BTW, is there any particular PP workflow you use with the Oly's pics? I have set the pic quality to RAW+JPG normal. Intend to do PP in DXO and maybe LR.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:56   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, is there any particular PP workflow you use with the Oly's pics? I have set the pic quality to RAW+JPG normal. Intend to do PP in DXO and maybe LR.
I only use raw. There is no specific workflow. Just convert to DNG, then open in CS4, crop if needed, then apply any exposure, color or tone correction, resize to required size, followed by USM. I rarely spend more than 2 minutes of PP on any image. I try to get most of the things right while shooting.

BTW, shots out of 45mm rarely need any correction.

Quote:
Nice pics Samurai.
Thanks, personally I prefer these shots from 45mm.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3029534

And these were shot just using street light: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3026772
Old 13th February 2013, 13:13   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I try to get most of the things right while shooting. BTW, shots out of 45mm rarely need any correction.

Thanks, personally I prefer these shots from 45mm.
Same here - I like to go slow with the shutter button, as I used to with film. Try and make each shot count.

As for the 45mm - I ordered one, with the 75mm as well. Hope to get them this week.

Quote:
And these were shot just using street light
Yups, I've seen those photos. Infact I had asked about the WB settings - if it was on auto or tweaked. That was another feather in the cap for the Oly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks