Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 00:51   #841
BHPian

re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As for the 45mm - I ordered one, with the 75mm as well. Hope to get them this week.
Congrats on the OMD EM-5, R2D2. Double Icing on the cake with 45mm and 75mm.
You mind disclosing the deal you got on 45mm? I just got E PL-5, with Kit 14-42mm a month ago and now planning to upgrade my ammo.
Old 14th February 2013, 13:17   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Congrats on the OMD EM-5, R2D2. Double Icing on the cake with 45mm and 75mm.
You mind disclosing the deal you got on 45mm? I just got E PL-5, with Kit 14-42mm a month ago and now planning to upgrade my ammo.
Thanks Arunshek.

I have ordered the 45mm and 75mm, still have not got them. I think this will take few days more. The 45mm is Rs 18K.
Old 14th February 2013, 21:45   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered the 45mm and 75mm, still have not got them. I think this will take few days more. The 45mm is Rs 18K.
Got a call from the dealer in the evening and I proceeded to pick em up. This is the 45mm 1.8 & the 75mm 1.8. The 45mm is made in China and the 75 in Japan. But both are well made. The 45mm takes 36mm filters (while the 75mm takes 58mm) and I am wondering if Hoya et al make filters of these smaller unusual sizes. The search is on..or I'll have to approach Oly for one of theirs.

I just enquired about the 60mm macro and 75-300 zoom. But that's for a another day.

for the EVIL cameras thread: Guess I had enuff of lenses for a long time what with the amazing Nikon 200mm F/2 (I call it 'Chubby' as do many others or 'Fat Boy', upon seeing it) joining up yesterday. The 200mm F/2 is the fastest tele prime lens in Nikon's arsenal. Canon has an equivalent too.

The contrast between the m4/3rds and FF prime lenses couldnt be more stark - size, weight and of course price.

Here are the pics of the Oly boxes (taken with my Samsung camera phone) and the Nikon 200mm F/2 (taken from the net):
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-nikon-200-f2.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-new-oly-lenses.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2013 at 21:49.
Old 14th February 2013, 23:22   #844
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to add my tuppence about the experience with Olympus India. These guys are lax! As mentioned in the earlier post I had enquired about the 60mm and 75-300 zoom from the dealer last week. When I didn't receive a reply I spoke to the dealer when I collected the lenses.

The person at the dealer mentions that Oly India are very lazy and don't respond to their queries. Panasonic is even worse. This is totally unlike Nikon & Canon that send the info ASAP. I said that's fine but they (the dealer) need to inform the customer that the company hasn't responded otherwise there could be a misunderstanding that the dealer wasn't interested in the sale or even ignoring the query. Told her that I thought my query had wound up in a dead letter box or something. Advised them to be a little more proactive with customers.

Rant aside - I am not surprised Oly, a company recently or currently in the midst of corporate financial turmoil, is getting kicked in this country. It is SO frustrating to see a company that makes good products being represented in such a shabby manner by their employees. I am disappointed. Though I like Oly's products I don't really believe that investing further in an Oly system products will be the wisest decision. Point in consideration - the Oly m43 kit has now totalled over Rs 1.4L (approx US $2,600) all inclusive, & I will hesitate to invest further in Oly products unless I believe Oly has a future overall & in this country.

This applies to Panasonic m43 products too coz, as mentioned above, they are worse than Oly in responding to customers. I hear the same thing about Sony NEX products on this forum and elsewhere about their attitude in India. The common thread running thru all these organisations is past or current financial turmoil.

Ergo, it is no surprise people play it safe and opt for the Canon/Nikon range of products!

EDIT - I still like that 60mm macro and the 75-300

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2013 at 23:35.
Old 14th February 2013, 23:45   #845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will hesitate to invest further in Oly products unless I believe Oly has a future overall & in this country.
You are ranting against Olympus India? Well, get in line. I am sometimes accused of being a Olympus fanboy, but this is what I said 3 years back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1772047
Old 15th February 2013, 00:08   #846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are ranting against Olympus India? Well, get in line. I am sometimes accused of being a Olympus fanboy, but this is what I said 3 years back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1772047
And you had hit the nail on the head right 3 years ago.

Obviously 3 years hasn't changed anything in Olympus. No wonder these organisations bleed, sometimes to death.

MLCs are no doubt the future. It's only a matter of time Canikon get rid of that mirror. My experience with MLCs/m43 is only 10 days old and, leaving aside all the good products Oly makes, I am already left in doubt in my mind about the future of this company.

When the Sales staff take it easy it is only a matter of time before Oly India folds up or, if this pathetic attitude is mirrored elsewhere in the world, Oly Japan itself goes down the drain.
Old 15th February 2013, 00:57   #847
BHPian

Although my experience with Oly India has been very limited, I'll admit that the dealer I got my camera from had the same things to say about them. However, a friend knows a few Olympus employees and they were extremely responsive and helpful in getting me a silver OM-D. This was when OM-Ds were difficult to get even in the US. So, I think, there's some kind of gap between the Oly management/employees and the dealers.

BTW, R2D2, please post a photo made with the 75mm . I think you're in for a surprise on that one . As far as filters go, I don't use them much, however guys at RK Photo were extremely generous and once gave me a step-up ring for 36mm, so I end up using that one for my ND needs.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I had bought the 45mm from a gentleman here and I remember him including a 37mm UV filter. I'll find it when I go home and let you know what model/make it is. Looks like I found the one he has sent:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...UV_Filter.html

The Oly 45mm has a 37mm filter thread.

Last edited by HellwratH : 15th February 2013 at 01:07.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:04   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Although my experience with Oly India has been very limited, I'll admit that the dealer I got my camera from had the same things to say about them. However, a friend knows a few Olympus employees and they were extremely responsive and helpful in getting me a silver OM-D. This was when OM-Ds were difficult to get even in the US. So, I think, there's some kind of gap between the Oly management/employees and the dealers.
[Rant] If the mgmt, employees and the dealers have a disconnect all the best to Oly. They will need divine intervention to save them..on 2nd thoughts maybe even that won't work! BTW the dealer I purchased the lenses from is an Olympus Pro Training academy and obviously an authorised dealer. If an Oly Pro academy experiences such hassles imagine the plight of others.

No wonder dealers wrinkle their noses at the mention of this company's name. Oh yeah..I understand after sales/warranty support is challenging to obtain. Oly reminds me so much of Fiat India - good products, lousy dealers and terrible after sales service.[/rant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
BTW, R2D2, please post a photo made with the 75mm I think you're in for a surprise on that one. As far as filters go, I don't use them much, however guys at RK Photo were extremely generous and once gave me a step-up ring for 36mm, so I end up using that one for my ND needs. The Oly 45mm has a 37mm filter thread.
Hope the 75mm is a pleasant surprise. Will try it and see. The lens is beautifully made just like a pro lens from the Canikon duo. By comparison the 45mm feels just a bit plasticky, but still well made. (Hey Oly! Why are lens hoods optional? Cheapskate!)

I've been poring thru the Oly manual to familiarise myself with EVIL camera/OMD tricks like 'live time'.

37mm filters are available online here @ smartshoppers et al only that they aren't my fav brands i.e. Hoya HMC/HD or B+W. Oh well, let me see if I can get a Kenko or a multicoated Marumi or <shudder> order an Olympus 37mm MC filter via the dealer.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2013 at 10:18. Reason: Typo
Old 15th February 2013, 10:10   #849
Team-BHP Support

Actually Olympus India has gotten better over time. Pre-2010, it was hard to even buy anything Olympus. Multi-brand dealers who now sell m4/3 by the bushels wouldn't return my calls even once after I say the word Olympus.

All my pre-2010 purchases were made via Amazon and carried back. Eventually I sold all of them on Amazon after carrying it back to US.

Now I am going to send the M.Zuiko 9-18mm back to US next month and sell it on Amazon, to finance another prime lens.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:36   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually Olympus India has gotten better over time. Pre-2010, it was hard to even buy anything Olympus. Multi-brand dealers who now sell m4/3 by the bushels wouldn't return my calls even once after I say the word Olympus..
They may have improved but not good enough according to me. The contrast between the attitudes of these guys and the Canikon duo is rather stark and pretty telling.

EDIT: It is referring to India..silly me.

Quote:
Now I am going to send the M.Zuiko 9-18mm back to US next month and sell it on Amazon, to finance another prime lens.
Why are you selling this lens? Is it not a satisfactory performer?

BTW which prime do you have in mind?

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2013 at 10:47.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:42   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why are you selling this lens? Is it not a satisfactory performer?
No, not for performance reason. I needed 12mm (24mm) at the wide end, and E-PL1 came with 14-42mm (28-84mm). So I bought 9-18mm (18-36mm) to satisfy my wide cravings. However, I realised that I don't really need anything below 12mm (24mm) for my kind of shooting. Once I got 12-50mm (24-100mm), I haven't touched the 9-18mm. It is a very expensive lens to be lying around unused. So it is going out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2995733

Quote:
BTW which prime do you have in mind?
The pany 25mm or 20mm. Still mulling on it.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:53   #852
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Yeah Why? I quiet like it and am glad I brought it.

--R
Old 15th February 2013, 13:15   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Yeah Why? I quiet like it and am glad I brought it.
I had asked the same question and he's already mentioned why. Check his reply below.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:20   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon to introduce new EVIL cameras

According to Nikon Rumors, Nikon will shortly be introducing a new fixed lens (F/2.8 or F/2) mirrorless camera with a 16MP APS-C sensor. That's the good part.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/18/ni...px/#more-54092

BTW that image on NR is of a morphed Fuji camera that the new camera is expected to resemble.

IM(H)O the fly in the ointment is the Expeed 2 imaging processor. This is an old image processor from the days of the D3 and D700 in 2007. Why not the Expeed 3?? Well, that's coz they need to offer version 3 as an upgrade next year.

They are also expected to introduce new interchangeable lens MLCs this year to go head to head with the Canon-M. These models should be really interesting.

Finally I think Nikon is indicating where it is going. MLCs are probably a priority over the release of a D400/pro DX camera. Hope I am wrong & a D400 is released this year.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:28   #855
Senior - BHPian

Now that I have a bought a full frame Nikon, I dont mind a mirrorless Nikon with a DX crop factor or even a bigger crop with a better version of the hybrid AF found on the Nikon 1 with decent enough ISO performance along with native support for the F mount lenses for that wildlife and bird photography. Bring it up Nikon and you have a buyer waiting. I guess it OK to dream right..

Last edited by SPARKled : 19th February 2013 at 11:33.

Most Viewed